Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tefl in Vietnam

Options
  • 27-03-2012 3:20pm

Figured people might like to get an idea of places to teach in other than Korea and UAE/Dubai..

Vietnam is a pretty easy place to get setup and going. You can do visa runs indefinitely, or get a work permit with degree & tefl.. Or go the corrupt route and get your documents done through a contact. Within a couple of weeks, I'll have done all three.

As for jobs, it's also easy.. If you are an actual qualified teacher, the place is a gold mine. One friend on $3,500 a month after tax in an International school. Some people on $5,000.
    If you're here for a while, or if you're coming from another country, have your documents and job hop around a bit, you can get pretty good salaries. That's the boat I'm in and I clear $3,000 a month with no tax as it's under the table. That's 26 teaching hours a week.
    If you're new to teaching, you can make $20/h straight off the bat. Just land here, apply for a job, get the job and do your visa runs.

Living costs after rent can be anything from $70 a week for your food and a few drinks or up to $200 a week if you want to live like a king. I spend about $150 normally outside of big expenditures like motorbikes etc.
    For that, I get nice dinners during the day ( $2 / $3 ) and then food deliveries in the evening. A few drinks midweek and then one or two big nights at the weekend. It's $1 / $1.50 a beer and $1 for a pack of Marlboro.

Houses are anything from $100 a month to $250 for a room in a nice spot.. We're about to move into a $320 house ( $1600 / 5 people ) but that's way higher than any other mid-20s people we know here.

All in all, most people would save about $800 - $1000 a month here.. Working maybe 20 hours a week. I'd be around the $2000 a month savings mark finally.

In terms of motorbikes, you can rent a scooter for about $40 a month or buy something.. Small normal mopeds are around $400 - $1000. Nice mopeds are around $1000 - $2000. Small motorbikes are around $500 - $800. Dirtbikes normally from $2000 - $4000. Big bikes like CB400s go for between $3500 and $6000 and then the crazy bikes (for Hanoi) like cbr600RRs and cbr1000rrs go for around $8000 - $10,000. Ducatis are around $25,000. I love motorbikes here having bought 4 already and sold 3.

The annoying thing about living here can be the country itself.. Some people just don't click with it. It's heavily centered around street food/street drinking and it's not very modern in day to day life.
    Traffic is horrible and very dangerous. Been in too many small crashes to count and one big one where I broke my collar bone. (And wiped my savings not working and drinking heavily for 10 weeks).
    Vietnamese managers can be downright stupid and the foreign teacher is always the last to know about any changes.
    You might get ripped off.. I'm owed $190 that I'll never see again.
    Cleaners / Landlords routinely rob people.. Friend had over a $1000 stolen in his last house and now his camera has disappeared in this house. I've been lucky.
    Shopping has turned into the most stressful activity in my day to day life.. Part of the reason I never cook and the main reason I rarely buy clothes. Everything is an absolute hassle. I needed shoes for an interview when I got here and could only find one good pair. Slowly got the price from $81 down to $12.. By now I've lost all patience for this and just avoid it if I can.

Overall, it's a great spot to live even if it does make you feel like a sardine in a tin sometimes.. If you take teaching seriously, you can save $10,000 - $25,000 a year. A lot of people just stay here, get married and open a business. Generally, the expat community is young.. 23-35 years old.

Any questions, ask.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Aquila wrote: »
    whats the working conditions like in the language schools?

Absolutely fine.. The main centres have all the resources there and they always pay.

Teaching public is more of a mixed bag but complaints are generally about actual teaching, not pay and conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭perfectisthe

Is it difficult to get teaching work without a work permit if you have a degree and a TEFL cert?

Edit: on re-reading the OP I see that you pretty much answered that already.

You can't get the permit until you've started work.. And there's only a handful of schools who will get you a work permit.
    In my main job, I'm given $2,500 in dollars a month and there's no mention of any sort of permits. The school, like most here, don't want the government knowing we work there.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭perfectisthe

Thanks for the reply.

Can I also ask what difference does the type of ESL/TEFL/TESOL qualification you have make, I'm finishing my masters in September and I'm seriously considering going to Vietnam, it's good to get info from someone who's actually there teaching.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Hey Ads By Google,

Considering heading over there for a year next year. I've been teaching English here in Spain for 3 years now (and it'll be four years by the time I get there). Will that experience stand to me in terms of pay? I have a degree and TEFL cert too.

I'm basically going to save money (and enjoy myself!), which I can't do here. Would Vietnam be a wise choice in terms of saving money? South Korea or Dubai don't appeal at all.

Yea you'd be in a great position with that experience and the degree/tesol. And yea, you could save a lot. 1500 to 2000 dollars a month savings if ya put some hours in. Check thenewhanoian website and have a look at the jobs section.

Yea you'd be in a great position with that experience and the degree/tesol. And yea, you could save a lot. 1500 to 2000 dollars a month savings if ya put some hours in. Check thenewhanoian website and have a look at the jobs section.

Thanks a million. One last thing: have you heard of anyone getting their flight paid over there? I know some schools do in Korea. Even getting my flight together here could be a struggle. Thanks again.

Some places yea.. Refund after years contract. But the 2 places I know off either pay low or have very high requirements. Since you'll have to pay upfront anyway, it doesn't really matter.

You can PM me whenever for advice and that.

Some places yea.. Refund after years contract. But the 2 places I know off either pay low or have very high requirements. Since you'll have to pay upfront anyway, it doesn't really matter.

You can PM me whenever for advice and that.

Thanks a million. Might get back to you (PM) with more questions at some stage if you don't mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 gerryff

Hey could you please what Tefl course would be good if I wanted to work in Vietnam

Any 4 week course will allow you to earn better money eventually must it's not really required to get started.

thinking of doing a 80 hour Tefl course online. I am a qualified primary school teacher with 5 years experience

Really? You could possibly jump right into an international school.. I can't do it right now but search for international schools in Hanoi and apply to them.

A few of the top of my head would be UNIS (the best job in hanoi), SIS, Wellspring, HIS.. There's a couple more but can't remember now.

I am yeah. I just started the TEFL course this week. Would jobs start in Mid September/October as for family reasons, I wouldn't be able to leave Ireland until then. thanks

Earlier the better, round November on is the quietest time because tet holiday coming up in jan/feb. Always jobs going but a bit more competition. Google "new hanoian jobs" and ya can have a look at the job section.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 piddif

Hi everyone.

My names Patrick. I'm heading over to Hanoi in September - flights are booked! :) I plan to do a CELTA course with Language Link, and if I cannot get a job with LL after the course look for work elsewhere.

I'll be heading on my own so some contacts would be nice as it is a little daunting (also exciting :D ).

I'll be there a week before the course starts and I'm hoping that will be enough time to settle in and get relaxed.

Any random bits of advice or tips are welcome. I've covered most of the prep work over the past two months... I hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 firstofficerp

Hey guys,

I'm heading to Vietnam towards the end of the year with my girlfriend to teach English. Would anybody be able to tell me the differences between Hanoi and HCMC when looking for jobs and the general differences in living standards, costs etc.

We'll be doing three months of travelling from October, will there be a point on going to Vietnam in January when the holidays are on?

Thanks for any help!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Beth Murphy

Hey mate,thanks for your indept mail,fantastic stuff and I must say I laughed out loud a few times at your description of living there.....Anyway i am just starting out on a new journey from scratch in teaching.

Hopefully you can help with my queries..
    Whats the best course to do to teach abroad and when people say you can use your TELF course abroad what countrie are they talking about???I presume you cant really use it to work downunder in Oz or NZ do you know?

Missed this thread in my subs list until now..
    Hey guys,

I'm heading to Vietnam towards the end of the year with my girlfriend to teach English. Would anybody be able to tell me the differences between Hanoi and HCMC when looking for jobs and the general differences in living standards, costs etc.

We'll be doing three months of travelling from October, will there be a point on going to Vietnam in January when the holidays are on?

Thanks for any help!

HCM is a little bit more difficult without the job website that Hanoi has but it's getting more popular down there. Most people I've met working down there said they go around each school individually whereas in Hanoi, we reply to ads.
    Living down there would be a lot of fun.. I really like the city now. Bit cheaper for drinks and that but generally, lower pay. January is a fairly good time to get here for applying for jobs after the Tet holiday.. If ya have some emails sent before ya arrive. But it's a bad time for an introduction to the city. This year was mild, next year might be freezing.
    piddif wrote: »
    Hi everyone.

My names Patrick. I'm heading over to Hanoi in September - flights are booked! :) I plan to do a CELTA course with Language Link, and if I cannot get a job with LL after the course look for work elsewhere.

I'll be heading on my own so some contacts would be nice as it is a little daunting (also exciting :D ).

I'll be there a week before the course starts and I'm hoping that will be enough time to settle in and get relaxed.

Any random bits of advice or tips are welcome. I've covered most of the prep work over the past two months... I hope!
    Well you're getting here at a nice time of year for weather anyway. In the week before you start, you should just relax and spend a lot of time around the city.. Because your course is going to be hectic.
    Hey mate,thanks for your indept mail,fantastic stuff and I must say I laughed out loud a few times at your description of living there.....Anyway i am just starting out on a new journey from scratch in teaching.

Hopefully you can help with my queries..
    Whats the best course to do to teach abroad and when people say you can use your TELF course abroad what countrie are they talking about???I presume you cant really use it to work downunder in Oz or NZ do you know?

My Australian friend who lived here in Hanoi for a year went home to Brisbane and was teaching IELTS to international students.. But I would presume that would be a bit of a home market. Unless you find students who are studying in Australia and want to move to Ireland afterwards, they're going to want to learn from a native to that country.

I think the best countries in Eastern Asia are VN, Korea, Thailand, Japan, China and Taiwan.

Best course is the Celta followed by the Tesol.

• Advertisement

Well you're getting here at a nice time of year for weather anyway. In the week before you start, you should just relax and spend a lot of time around the city.. Because your course is going to be hectic.

Hey. Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.

In relation to accommodation: Do you think it would be better for me to book a hotel in advance, for the duration of the first five weeks (covering the CELTA in total). I would be booking this from Ireland.

OR

Book a hostel for the first week and during that initial week source a decent hotel/hostel to live in while doing CELTA?

I'm trying not to over think things, but it'd be nice to have somewhere to call 'home' during CELTA. :)

Thanks.

Thanks mate for your help...Can you do the Celta abroad or would it be better to do it in Ireland and then apply for jobs abroad?Is the money good to start with and how do you find a job after?

Hey. Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.

In relation to accommodation: Do you think it would be better for me to book a hotel in advance, for the duration of the first five weeks (covering the CELTA in total). I would be booking this from Ireland.

OR

Book a hostel for the first week and during that initial week source a decent hotel/hostel to live in while doing CELTA?

I'm trying not to over think things, but it'd be nice to have somewhere to call 'home' during CELTA. :)

Thanks.
    You should just get a hostel and then look for a room while you're here.. It's easy to find hotels cause there's hundreds of them. So you could either negotiate a monthly rate at a hotel or jump straight into a shared house.

http://tnhvietnam.xemzi.com/en/propertylisting/home?propertytype_id[]=5
    Thanks mate for your help...Can you do the Celta abroad or would it be better to do it in Ireland and then apply for jobs abroad?Is the money good to start with and how do you find a job after?
    Ya may aswell do it abroad.. Cheaper living costs and a good introduction to a new city. Instead of arriving in a city and wondering what to do, it's good to have a few days of just going around meeting people, then do the course and look for jobs.

I did my Tesol in the Philippines because I already knew Vietnam a bit and figured it would be interesting to stay in a different country as an experience.

Regarding money, if you have the CELTA, you should be looking at around $2k/month after a while and then more.. You might have to work odd jobs for $20-$25/hour until you find a full-time position. Those figures are after tax.
    Everyone I know here who is qualified and takes it seriously takes home at least $2.5k with some privates. My peak was $4k but that was an awful lot of well paid work and I only lasted a couple of months.

The important thing to to know about Vietnam compared to other countries is that you can do what you want here regarding visas etc.. Which leaves a choice between working 10 hours a week and having a laugh or taking it seriously and working hard. Most people who come here fall into the former. It's not often you can pick exactly how many hours you want to work which gives the work vs. fun dilemma.

I've done it seriously now for two years and next year, I'm going to go back to an easier "holiday" lifestyle.

Thanks very much for the tips.I have not travelled to asia ever,only stop over's in airport on route downunder....

I do not have my TELF/Celta and have only started looking into teaching latley.I really dont know where to start.Would you recommend me to do my CELTA in Ireland first and then go abroad to find a job in asia or how does it work?

Do you not need a visa to getinto vietnam though and stay there for a while...Im confused about that?Also what id Tesol you mention?

Thanks for the reply Ads.

Beth,

As I am not from Dublin (or anywhere close to a CELTA centre) I will save around €1000 euro by doing CELTA in Hanoi (Cost of the course+cost of living is cheaper. I can also work for an extra month here in Ireland).

Quite a few people have told me that the hectic nature of Hanoi (coupled with being thrown into a foreign culture) will exacerbate the intensity of a CELTA course, and that if possible I should do it somewhere a little more 'relaxed'. Unfortunately I need that €1000, and as Ads says above I'm hoping to meet people and make friends doing the CELTA over there.

When are you thinking of going? Likewise I've also never been to South East Asia nor do I have any real teaching experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Hi Ads,

Whats the craic with summer schools and the like? I'm back in Uni in Sept so can't do any longer so a working holiday and a few quid saved would be nice. Is that possible? Any idea what the cash is like for that sort of thing?

I've no TEFL but I'v a degree and a years TEFL teaching already done in Korea.

Any info be great or a point in the right direction would be much appreciated!

Hey Patrick(I think that's your name),thanks for your mail!!!!!!
    Ive only started thinking of this CELTA teaching stuff recently and really have no teaching experience.I am not from Dublin either,Im from down the country and am now considering doing the course In Vietnam instead.I have heard alot of good stuff about it though,how did you find the course in Vietnam and how much is it?
    If you want feel free to PM me.

Hi Ads,

Whats the craic with summer schools and the like? I'm back in Uni in Sept so can't do any longer so a working holiday and a few quid saved would be nice. Is that possible? Any idea what the cash is like for that sort of thing?

I've no TEFL but I'v a degree and a years TEFL teaching already done in Korea.

Any info be great or a point in the right direction would be much appreciated!

There seem to be some internships from LoveTEFL, i-i and the likes. They last three months, but you have to pay for flights and what not. You get placement in Ho Chi Minh city but the pay is pretty poor, you certainly wouldn't be saving anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

There seem to be some internships from LoveTEFL, i-i and the likes. They last three months, but you have to pay for flights and what not. You get placement in Ho Chi Minh city but the pay is pretty poor, you certainly wouldn't be saving anything.

Yeah I've came across a few and they were all the same; you pay us not we pay you sort of thing. Also came across some others in International schools but needed CELTA, degree and experience. I've no CELTA. money was pretty poor too, about 3000 U.S $ for 10 weeks.

• Advertisement

Yeah I've came across a few and they were all the same; you pay us not we pay you sort of thing. Also came across some others in International schools but needed CELTA, degree and experience. I've no CELTA. money was pretty poor too, about 3000 U.S $ for 10 weeks.

Indeed, if money is your aim they won't be any use to you.

Advertisement