Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asked for Facebook login in interview

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

If a business wants to see your facebook account without you even knowing and even if private, they can just install facebook insights scripts on their website. Anyone going for a job with a company will have a look at their website, and if the script is there and you have applications turned on then you're open to be looked at by said company.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,461 ✭✭✭✭28064212

smash wrote: »
    If a business wants to see your facebook account without you even knowing and even if private, they can just install facebook insights scripts on their website. Anyone going for a job with a company will have a look at their website, and if the script is there and you have applications turned on then you're open to be looked at by said company.
    Only if you give explicit permission to the company's facebook app

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    Only if you give explicit permission to the company's facebook app
    No, if you have apps turned on. It's an integrated facebook app for stats that runs in the background. It's not a third party app that needs permission. It's installed on the client website and runs back through facebook. It's not a user app so there's no reason for them to accept a permission request. Think google analytics, but a lot more evil and invasive.

No, if you have apps turned on. It's an integrated facebook app for stats that runs in the background. It's not a third party app that needs permission.
    Insights are only for Facebook Fan pages. It gives metrics and demographic breakdowns, it does not provide any way for owners of the page to look at an individual user's details. The list of available information is here. All the identifiable information (age, gender, city etc) are aggregated, there is no way to select an individual user's details

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Insights are only for Facebook Fan pages.

Insights code can be placed on ANY website. Not just fan pages.

• Advertisement

Insights code can be placed on ANY website. Not just fan pages.
    Oops, yep, you're right. Still doesn't matter though, as there is no personally identifiable information, and it certainly doesn't give access to user's photos or the like

Oops, yep, you're right. Still doesn't matter though, as there is no personally identifiable information, and it certainly doesn't give access to user's photos or the like
    I've just had a look there. It appears to have evolved a lot since first launch, where you could actually view the pages of people who liked you etc. It still lets you track conversations where you've mentioned the company though.

I've just had a look there. It appears to have evolved a lot since first launch, where you could actually view the pages of people who liked you etc. It still lets you track conversations where you've mentioned the company though.
    Which metrics are these? I can't see how any of them would allow you to access that sort of information

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Which metrics are these? I can't see how any of them would allow you to access that sort of information

Through the Graph API.

Seachmall wrote: »
    Through the Graph API.
    The Graph API as such allows you to easily access all public information about an object. For example, https://graph.facebook.com/btaylor (Bret Taylor) returns all the public information about Bret. For example a user's first name, last name and profile picture are publicly available.

To get additional information about a user, you must first get their permission
    It's not getting private information if someone explicitly provides permission to access it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

subway wrote: »
    surely if you've got nothing to hide you wouldnt have an issue...

Subway... What's your username and password? No? Didn't think so. What are you hiding??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

A lot of people change their name on Facebook, I have a friend who did it as he teaches in secondary school and didn't want the students to look him up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Just an update:
    American job seekers now seem to be getting some protection.

A group of Democrats today introduced legislation in both the House and Senate to prevent employers from forcing employers and job applicants into sharing information from their personal social networking accounts. In other words, Maryland may soon not be the only state that has banned employers demanding access to Facebook accounts. The Password Protection Act of 2012 (PPA) would also prevent employers from accessing information on any computer that isn’t owned or controlled by an employee, including private e-mail accounts, photo sharing sites, and smartphones.

PPA is meant to enhance current law to prohibit employers from compelling or coercing employees into providing access to their private accounts. It includes the following points:
    • Prohibits an employer from forcing prospective or current employees to provide access to their own private account as a condition of employment.
    • Prohibits employers from discriminating or retaliating against a prospective or current employee because that employee refuses to provide access to a password-protected account.
    • The Password Protection Act only prohibits adverse employment related actions as a consequence of an employee’s failure to provide access to their own private accounts. It preserves the rights of employers to:
    • Permit social networking within the office on a voluntary basis.
    • Set policies for employer-operated computer systems.
    • Hold employees accountable for stealing data from their employers.
    • Employers that violate the Password Protection Act may face financial penalties.

...“Employers seeking access to passwords or confidential information on social networks, email accounts, or other protected Internet services is an unreasonable and intolerable invasion of privacy,” Blumenthal said in a statement. “With few exceptions, employers do not have the need or the right to demand access to applicants’ private, password-protected information. This legislation, which I am proud to introduce, ensures that employees and job seekers are free from these invasive and intrusive practices.”

“People have an expectation of privacy when using social media like Facebook and Twitter,” Perlmutter said in a statement. “They have an expectation that their right to free speech and religion will be respected when they use social media outlets. No American should have to provide their confidential personal passwords as a condition of employment. Both users of social media and those who correspond share the expectation of privacy in their personal communications. Employers essentially can act as imposters and assume the identity of an employee and continually access, monitor and even manipulate an employee’s personal social activities and opinions. That’s simply a step too far.”

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), one of the few organizations fighting employers who demand Facebook passwords, points out that this legislation’s protections do not extend to students who are also frequent targets of this practice. Additionally, it allows states and the federal government to exempt some classes of employees (such as those who have access to secret national security information).

More here: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/facebook/password-protection-act-ban-bosses-asking-for-facebook-passwords/12781?tag=nl.e550

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

thats BS how can they look at your FB without permission if its private?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

thats BS how can they look at your FB without permission if its private?
    There are still people out there who add and add people who they vaguely remember or who they work with. There have been examples when people have added bosses, forgot they were there, and then posted about the new jobs they were hiring for, or the wild drunken night they had after calling in sick that morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

There are still people out there who add and add people who they vaguely remember or who they work with. There have been examples when people have added bosses, forgot they were there, and then posted about the new jobs they were hiring for, or the wild drunken night they had after calling in sick that morning.

There are people who will add anyone and everyone they once knew or met briefly on a night out or a friend of a friend they heard about...list is endless! What is becoming more common also is people changing their name on their facebook to a nick-name they go by, and even to their name spelled in Irish knowing not everyone who will want to find them, would be able to.

Why people put something up on their facebook that they wouldn't stand over in public in the event all privacy settings were set to 'visible to everyone' by some hackers or what-not though is beyond me! :pac:

I have two facebook accounts. My first account was from way back in 2003/2004 when facebook first started. Back then, it was restricted to people who had email addresses that ended with "edu" or in other words, it was students only. So, I like to keep that account for nostalgic purposes, but even then it only was registered with my first initial and my last name. My second account has only my first name and a random word for my last name. In one interview, I had one employer try to say that she found my facebook account with my details, but I knew she was lying because all of the details on my original account were false.

Ultimately, people just need to use common sense. But, then I realize that common sense really isn't that common.

I have two facebook accounts. My first account was from way back in 2003/2004 when facebook first started. Back then, it was restricted to people who had email addresses that ended with "edu" or in other words, it was students only. So, I like to keep that account for nostalgic purposes, but even then it only was registered with my first initial and my last name. My second account has only my first name and a random word for my last name. In one interview, I had one employer try to say that she found my facebook account with my details, but I knew she was lying because all of the details on my original account were false.
    Why? My facebook profile is trivially easy to find, once you have my name. Once you've found it, what do you have? A picture. And that's it. Any more, and you'll have to ask me for permission (friend request).

What's the point of having false information up there? Anything you don't want to share, just don't put anything up

Why? My facebook profile is trivially easy to find, once you have my name. Once you've found it, what do you have? A picture. And that's it. Any more, and you'll have to ask me for permission (friend request).

What's the point of having false information up there? Anything you don't want to share, just don't put anything up

Because I have been on there since the darn near beginning and I have witnessed the progression of privacy restrictions on the site. Many times, profiles that are listed as "private" become "public" when they have made tiny modifications to settings. People assume that because it is private now, it will always be private, but they have - in the past - changed default settings so that images, educational institutions, or whatnot became public and searchable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

I think it is unfair that they ask you for your facebook password,thats your personal information,whats next for them to ask when youre working for them,also how far are they going to go when they hire you,are they going to ask to bug your home computer,or supply you with a laced company one?its bull****,being honest,they shouldnt judge you by your online activities in your own personal down time,as its got nothing to do with your job theres no relevance,its only tit tat gossip for them,its not needed,why should they rate you because of your facebook page,your facebook page is your business not theirs..how dare they

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

I have two facebook accounts. My first account was from way back in 2003/2004 when facebook first started. Back then, it was restricted to people who had email addresses that ended with "edu" or in other words, it was students only. So, I like to keep that account for nostalgic purposes

Wow you were there from the beginning? Even when it was restricted, that's killer tits, ya I'd be nostalgic too.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Accessing someone's facebook account isn't just a violation of their privacy but a violation of the privacy of anyone they have friended. I have relatives for example that post up personal family information, expecting that only family will see it. If someone else is in my account then they have access to information about my aunt's hospital visit or my cousin's divorce that's not for general information. And while my own personal rule is to never post anything on FB that I wouldn't be ok with any future employer, my least favourite ex or my mother-in-law reading, (ie anyone in the world) some people do post up information that they really only want those they are friended with to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Could you not just say that you don't have a Facebook account?
    What do the potential employers do then?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Could you not just say that you don't have a Facebook account?
    What do the potential employers do then?

ask for your boards.ie username :pac:

Wow you were there from the beginning? Even when it was restricted, that's killer tits, ya I'd be nostalgic too.

Yeah, I think it is kind of cool to look back on. At the time (which I know think was probably 2004/2005), it was invite only and the invite I got was from a Stanford student who knew some Harvard kid who was trying to get people to join his website. Back then, you added folks that were in your classes or you had been to school with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭FullRetard

I'd just tell them I dont have a facebook account..only use the internet for looking for jobs:pac:

One has to wonder will they start this trend here?

Yeah, but it would be awkward as hell if they turned to their computer and pull up your page where they are listed as a "friend" on your friend's list.

I knew a chick that had her job offer rescinded because of what someone else posted on facebook. She was a summer clerk at a major law firm and was being hired on post-graduation. At the end of the summer party, she had gotten wicked drunk, took her clothes off, and jumped into the water (party was on a yacht). No one at the party knew what had happened at the time except for a few of her friends. Someone took pictures on their phone. They were posted on her profile, and the co-workers she had added to her friends list ratted her out to the hiring manager. He wrote her an email rescinding the offer.

thats ****ing nasty,always watch your back around collegues,always one to stab you in the back,in fairness though she is one thick bitch haha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kitty9

i would just say, "Sorry I dont have time for facebook"

Advertisement