Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asked for Facebook login in interview

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

28064212 wrote: »
    I don't think one single person on this thread has advocated giving out a password. This is about stuff that's PUBLICALLY available
    It's not really, it's about companies demanding access to your facebook and more when it's private. They either want passwords or to be made your friend so they can monitor you when your not in work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I don't think one single person on this thread has advocated giving out a password. This is about stuff that's PUBLICALLY available

Not if you have your Facebook setting to Friends/acquaintances etc...

With the entering of a password (hidden keylogger issues also?), the other person will have FULL access to all levels of info entered by the user.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,461 ✭✭✭✭28064212

ScumLord wrote: »
    It's not really, it's about companies demanding access to your facebook and more when it's private. They either want passwords or to be made your friend so they can monitor you when your not in work.
    Biggins wrote: »
    Not if you have your Facebook setting to Friends/acquaintances etc...

With the entering of a password (hidden keylogger issues also?), the other person will have FULL access to all levels of info entered by the user.
    This has all been covered over and over. Everyone on the thread has said companies are wrong to request it, and that you shouldn't give your password up. The discussion over the last 80-odd posts have been whether companies have a right to use publically available information in their decision

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

This has all been covered over and over. Everyone on the thread has said companies are wrong to request it, and that you shouldn't give your password up. The discussion over the last 80-odd posts have been whether companies have a right to use publically available information in their decision

If the interviewer want to see what publicly available, all he has to do is look at the persons Facebook site - that does not require an interviewee to have to give/enter further security info and as such, doesn't/shouldn't need to be asked for!

The OP is still open so there's nothing wrong with discussing the topic that started this thread. If anything your going off topic.

Certain public information will be impossible for them to ignore but they shouldn't seek it out.

• Advertisement

If the interviewer want to see what publicly available, all he has to do is look at the persons Facebook site - that does not require an interviewee to have to give further security info and as such, doesn't/shouldn't need to be asked for!
    And some posters claimed that looking at that publically available information was out of bounds and not relevant to the employer. Those are the posters I'm addressing.
    The OP is still open so there's nothing wrong with discussing the topic that started this thread. If anything your going off topic.
    Nothing wrong with it at all. But you're addressing points to me, not the OP, and I've never said anyone should give out their passwords
    Certain public information will be impossible for them to ignore but they shouldn't seek it out.
    Why shouldn't they seek it out? A background check is part and parcel of any employment. Should a potential employee just have a casual look at a company's website before applying? Or should they actually seek out information that won't be found on a brochure?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

And some posters claimed that looking at that publically available information was out of bounds and not relevant to the employer. Those are the posters I'm addressing.

Fair enough. I've no wish to annoy you. :)

Nothing wrong with it at all. But you're addressing points to me, not the OP, and I've never said anyone should give out their passwords
    I think you'll find you started replying to my posts I never quoted you until you asked me a question.
    Why shouldn't they seek it out? A background check is part and parcel of any employment. Should a potential employee just have a casual look at a company's website before applying? Or should they actually seek out information that won't be found on a brochure?
    A background check into whether they're capable to do the job is common, your references and education are valid requests. Your holiday and birthday party photos have no barring on your work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭secretambition

Unless it's against the law, how you feel about anything an employer asks you to do is irrelevant because in todays competitive environment, you can bet if you have a problem handing over information there will be another person who doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Login yourself for them on yer phone. Jeez its only Facebook. Get a life.

• Advertisement

Unless it's against the law, how you feel about anything an employer asks you to do is irrelevant because in todays competitive environment, you can bet if you have a problem handing over information there will be another person who doesn't.
    For most people, if you have the right education and background these kind of questions are never asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

cursai wrote: »
    Login yourself for them on yer phone. Jeez its only Facebook. Get a life.

Stupid statement

Fair enough. I've no wish to annoy you. :)
    Isn't it easier when everyone just does it my way? :P
    I think you'll find you started replying to my posts I never quoted you until you asked me a question.
    I never said you did. But your first post I replied to wasn't about passwords or privacy, it was about how employers don't
    A background check into whether they're capable to do the job is common, your references and education are valid requests. Your holiday and birthday party photos have no barring on your work.
    In your opinion. Which means when you have your own business, you won't take those into consideration. But you don't get to tell other employers what they're allowed use.

It is reasonable for an employer to consider what an employee may have published for all to see. They don't have a right to invade the employees privacy

Isn't it easier when everyone just does it my way? :P

Depends - does it require more lube? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

We have been warned for two years now that employers may request Facebook credentials when looking for employment after college

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

skinny90 wrote: »
    We have been warned for two years now that employers may request Facebook credentials when looking for employment after college

It's well known that they search for you on public social networking accounts. It's not ok for them to request access to your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Ask the recruiter for their active directory login and see if they're willing to give that to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I don't know my password.

That's Firefox's job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

as someone said it would be a breach of contract to give them login details.

I would have no problem signing something that said that i would not say anything about them on social media I would resent having to friend a HR person so that they could conveniently spy on my private live

I think i will set up a work facebook account just in case.and just leave it there

nice picture of me some respectable friends, some pictures of me taking part in wholesome activities i could totally do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

You could supply a false profile (but not an empty one - one you've properly made for this - as it'd look daft). And the burden of proof is on the accuser, something America's government/legal/court system (and now companies) seem to have reversed recently, [Example, even though it's far outside of this subject (The courts & peoples' fundamental rights in the US - but it's sorta relevant - having to provide evidence that can incriminate you (cause you to lose your chance at the job))]. It's up to the employer to find problems with you through the interview, the way you present yourself, qualificaitons, skills and abilities, etc, not looking at evidence against you through what you post online.

If that was me, I wouldn't be able to any ways, as I use a password manager and don't even know each individual password..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

Pdfile wrote: »
    you do realise that 98 % of people spend 99 % of their time finding reasons not to like you right ?? ( or the public in general )
    Well I guess I'm part of the 2% who don't waste 99% of their time trying to find reasons not to like Biggins! How could you not like Biggins:D
    Facebook is a social site.Something you partake in your down time from work. The same as going out on Sat night or time with your family on Sunday. Should I allow an employer to accompany on these occasions?
    As an employer I would prefer to use professional methods to screen candidates and manage new employees to ensure my business gets what it needs.
    Using Facebook is a lazy,unprofessional approach in hiring or managing employees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 METS 1B

Article on CNN about this.

HERE!

Just an update in the Facebook row (from America):
    US senators demand investigation into Facebook password row

Two US senators are calling for America's Attorney General, Eric Holder, to investigate whether bosses requesting Facebook passwords from interviewees are breaking federal law.

The move comes after it emerged last week that the controversial practice was a growing trend among employers trying to vet candidates before hiring them.

Chuck Schumer, a Democratic senator for New York and Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut are calling on the American Department of Justice and the US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission to launch investigations into the matter and are sending letters to the heads of the agencies.

"In an age where more and more of our personal information - and our private social interactions - are online, it is vital that all individuals be allowed to determine for themselves what personal information they want to make public and protect personal information from their would-be employers. This is especially important during the job-seeking process, when all the power is on one side of the fence," Schumer said in a statement.

Last week it emerged that Justin Bassett, a New York-based statistician, had just finished answering some standard character questions in a job interview, when he was asked to hand over his Facebook login information after his interviewer could not find his profile on the site, according to the Boston Globe.
    Bassett refused and withdrew his job application, as he did not want to be employed by a business which would invade his privacy to such an extent.

While Lee Williams, an online retail worker from the Midlands, told The Telegraph that he was asked by his managing director for his Facebook login details, after his boss had looked him up on the social network and could not see any details about him as his privacy settings were locked down. The boss thought that Williams was hiding something by not having his profile publicly available.

Williams refused to hand his password over. His boss persisted with his request, but then let it go without taking any further action. Williams still works for the company, but did not wish to name it.

Paula Whelan, an employment partner at Shakespeares law firm, said there was nothing to stop employers from asking for logins into social media. However, prospective employees had every right to refuse to hand over the said information.

“Prospective employees have every right to say 'no' as it is a request to access personal information and has nothing to do with somebody’s capability to do a job. And I cannot see any reason why a boss could not at least ask the question as there is nothing they can do to force an interviewee to hand over their Facebook login,” she explained.

Whelan also said that it would be extremely difficult if a person thought they didn’t get a job because they refused to hand over their login details when asked, to prove it was discrimination.

However, Ed Goodwyn, a partner in the employment team at Pinsent Masons, said that the legal situation was very different if a boss asked a current employee for their Facebook password while employed or continued to access their account post interview without telling them.

He said it would be “a breach of the implied duty of trust and confidence” between employer and employee and urged bosses to draft clear social media policies.
    Sarah Veale, head of equality and employment rights for the TUC, has warned that the practice is likely to start happening more and more in the UK.

“Once something like this starts happening in the US, it is likely to come over here – especially in American businesses which have outposts in UK. If interviewers in the US are adopting this practice of asking prospective staff for access to their Facebook accounts, they will start doing it over here.”
    She described the request as both “dangerous and unnecessary”.

“I think it’s very dangerous and unnecessary to start asking people for access into their personal lives. Once you start asking people to reveal everything about themselves, which is irrelevant to their ability to be able to do a job, you are getting into a tricky area. It’s the equivalent of getting people to spy on prospective staff down at the pub before hiring them.

“It’s also quite a lazy way by bosses to get a full picture of somebody and shows that their interviewing process is unsatisfactory.”
    Erin Egan, Facebook's chief privacy officer, policy, responded last week, saying: "In recent months, we’ve seen a distressing increase in reports of employers or others seeking to gain inappropriate access to people’s Facebook profiles or private information. This practice undermines the privacy expectations and the security of both the user and the user’s friends. It also potentially exposes the employer who seeks this access to unanticipated legal liability

"The most alarming of these practices is the reported incidences of employers asking prospective or actual employees to reveal their passwords. If you are a Facebook user, you should never have to share your password, let anyone access your account, or do anything that might jeopardize the security of your account or violate the privacy of your friends. We have worked really hard at Facebook to give you the tools to control who sees your information...That’s why we’ve made it a violation of Facebook’s Statement of Rights and Responsibilities to share or solicit a Facebook password."

Since the rise of social networking, there have been growing number of cases around the world where people have been sacked for writing disparaging comments about their jobs on sites such as Facebook and Twitter.

Two months ago, John Flexman, a former human resources executive, began a tribunal against his former employer, BG Group (a major gas exploration firm based in Reading, Berks), accusing the firm of forcing him out after he put his CV online through LinkedIn.

He is thought to be the first person in the country to bring a case for constructive dismissal after a dispute with bosses over his profile on the professional networking site.
    Flexman is claiming hundreds of thousands of pounds from BG Group, where he earned a 81,310.53€ salary from his job in charge of graduate recruitment. The outcome is due later this year.

However, these American examples are some of the first reported cases of prospective employees being asked for their logins as a way of vetting them before the job is theirs.
    The two senators specifically want to discover if this practice violates the Stored Communications Act or the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act. Those two American acts, respectively, prohibit intentional access to electronic information without authorization and intentional access to a computer without authorization to obtain information.
    Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/facebook/9166544/US-senators-demand-investigation-into-Facebook-password-row.html

RELATED ARTICLES
    * Facebook passwords 'fair game in job interviews' 23 Mar 2012

* Exec 'forced out of job' over LinkedIn CV 05 Jan 2012

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

Source

I think its fair enough to research someone before hiring them, but asking for there facebook login is a bit much IMO.
    Its basically like going through your phone or asking about your personal life, I don't see how its fully relevant to the employer.

What do you think after hours?

i would have asked her for a BJ, and then walked out anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I have a work account. They can go nuts on that. Im quite the conference attender
    I'd setup a work account, and get a few mates to do the same. Or I'd create multiple false personalities and link them to my fake facebook page.

=-=

Username: the_syco
    Password: searchformeonfacebookandIshallrapeyouandyourfamily
    if you don't people in your private life then don't live it online.
    Interviewer: I see you live in Dublin. I am also in Dublin. I shall be your friend this weekend, and everything you say and do shall be scrutinised, but as you have nothing to hide, you should be okay.

=-=

Say that you're a married gay priest from New York on your fake Facebook profile, and scream discrimination if you don't get the job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

A human resources executive was forced out of his job after angering his employer by putting his CV online and advertising that he was interested in other “career opportunities”,

Seeking career opportunities is the default option

It's on my profile for no other reason then I never bothered to change it.
    Most every profile is the same, even my boss has career opportunities listed

Most people don't master it, just something we use and check every few weeks/months

Very harsh sacking there

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

mikemac1 wrote: »
    It's on my profile for no other reason then I never bothered to change it.
    Most every profile is the same, even my boss has career opportunities listed
    Seems he was singled out over it;
    However, Mr Flexman claims the details he posted were available in the company’s annual reports and that 21 of his colleagues, including the manager of the disciplinary process, had ticked the "career opportunities" box but had not been disciplined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

He got screwed over

I hope he gets a big payout

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Presumably facebook can change their TOS, so that if they receive a valid complaint that a business requested login details from a member of the public then that business' facebook account will be closed, maybe put a nice big notification on their landing page that their account was closed for breach of facebooks' terms of service.

That should bring about a change in habits fairly sharpish

Advertisement