Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derek (Ricky Gervais and Karl Pilkington Sitcom)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

God thats depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Gervais looks like an old age Hitler stuck in a retirement home.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Can't be any worse than Life's Too Short..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Basq wrote: »

Don't. Tempt. Fate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

Looks deeply unfunny. Essentially just Gervais being himself with his hair brushed forward and an underbite which appears only when he isn't talking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

If that show doesn't involve Gervais making fun of "Mongs", i'll eat my hat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

In fairness Life's Too Short sounded like it could've been good, this hasn't got that going for it and the clips posted look awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Love Karl Pilkington, but that looks fcuking sh*te!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

There's a shark somewhere out there looking at Gervais' nutsack as he passes by overhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I'll give it a go.

Would of wished they kept up the podcasts/audiobooks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

gervais i think blows either hot or cold, pilkington is the same, i dont think either are very consistant, so ill give this a bash and see how it goes, wasnt overly impressed with lifes to short, though i did laught my ass of 3 or 4 times throughout the series

also an idiot abroad wasnt scripted, they filmed probably 10 times more than what is shown, and they guided karl around the place and just filmed his reactions, there was no consistancy to either series cause karl was in pretty bad moods 25%+ of the time, some people do have odd outlooks on life that we would find funny,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

5835158019_5217186d35.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Show sounds vile, basically Gervais making loads of jokes about the disabled. :rolleyes:
    The lady who got in to an argument with him over the "mong" word has seen the pilot, and says no, it's not making fun of the disabled. Gervais sent her a copy and gave her an interview on the topic.
    There are already some mutterings, from people who haven’t seen the pilot, along the lines of “here we go again I suppose he’s laughing at vulnerable people”. I didn’t find that to be the case.

Instead of it being a mocking disintegration of a learning-disabled man -paraded for the amusement of comfortable unaffected people, it’s the story that really needs to be told at the moment.

It’s the story of a socially isolated, gentle vulnerable man surrounded by other people who society wants to forget, but told with humour, heart and real warmth. It’s a comedy in my opinion, which shows the reality of a life of otherness.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Anyone watching this.
    So far i'm a bit baffled by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

Anyone watching this.
    So far i'm a bit baffled by it.

I'm enjoying it so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Having worked in the exact scenario they are portraying, I think its been acted brilliantly by Gervais. Lots of promise for this one. Its definitely NOT a pisstake out of ID like people expected

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Its very sad but im really liking it so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Not too bad, definitely needs more of Karls character.

Gervais is amazing in this.

Unbelievable acting by Gervais in this. Having worked with people with intellectual disabilities who do not have a voice anywhere, this will really help the cause. Unbelievable stuff.

I was balling at the end there. Very poignant.

Here's the music from the ending if anyone is interested

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdDDY5nVA3A

• Advertisement

There's a very fine line when doing something like this. Luckily enough he's stayed on the right side of it.

Drenched in pathos, and certainly not a laugh a minute sitcom. Definitely has potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I enjoyed this.

Thought gervais would really take the proverbial out of the more mentally challenged but he seems to have hit a sweet spot.

Karl is using some of his "normal" lines....he's like a wasp in the car, extra stress when you're driving!!

So far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭francois

Poor, cliched, lazy writing and for something advertised as comedy not particularly funny, in fact totally unfunny. The attempts at pathos lacked any cred after his "mong" episode-Pilkington may as well have been reprising his idiot role.

When Karl was driving the bus, he should have pulled over and put Ricky in a wheelie bin.

yermandan wrote: »
    Unbelievable acting by Gervais in this. Having worked with people with intellectual disabilities who do not have a voice anywhere, this will really help the cause. Unbelievable stuff.

I was balling at the end there. Very poignant.

Here's the music from the ending if anyone is interested

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdDDY5nVA3A

Thanks so much, I've been looking for this for the last half hour!!!

francois wrote: »
    Poor, cliched, lazy writing and for something advertised as comedy not particularly funny, in fact totally unfunny. The attempts at pathos lacked any cred after his "mong" episode-Pilkington may as well have been reprising his idiot role.

It was advertised as a comedy drama. Which is what it was.

K.C wrote: »
    Thanks so much, I've been looking for this for the last half hour!!!

No worries, Ricky put it up on his Twitter!

francois wrote: »

I'd tend to agree but I'm willing to give it another couple of watches to see how it pans out.

The love interest did seem very forced and a lot like a condensed version of Maggie's story in Extras. Plus, if ever anybody wanted proof that Karl's character in every other Gervais production is an act, his role tonight is proof enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Pilkington was acting in idiot abroad. First acting part :pac:

• Advertisement

Is this a one off or will there be more episodes?

Advertisement