Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derek (Ricky Gervais and Karl Pilkington Sitcom)

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Has Gervais said if he's going to follow his usual series rule of 2 seasons of 6 and a Christmas special (The Office and Extras) with this?

I think that'd be the best way to do it. Always better to finish up on a high note than drag on until it's well by its sell by date.
    If it's done right, 12 episodes is all a show like this really needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,669 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Decent series finale :)

It was bothering me where I'd seen Geoff before...played Ray in Grange Hill, back in the day (early 90's)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

It's a good show - can be touching at times, but it's been a while since it's been funny - not a comedy, hasn't been since Karl Pilkington left - apart from the odd funny scene with Kev.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

That whole scene where Kev defends Derek by going at Geoff, then Geoff knocks Kev over and Derek gets Geoff in a strangle hold was just amazing... As was Geoff's redemption scene, which was so simple and stripped back - no big apology or speech, just a simple "anyone for a cup of tea", and then Vicky's "don't worry, I used to be a d*ckhead"... Brilliant...

And when Derek came speeding along on the bike at the end - excellent finish

So watched the first two episode of series 2 and really struggled to finish either. Series 1 was a mixed bag but thus far series 2 is just plain bad, the kind of sentimental, overtly melodramatic trash that feels like a mid day soap opera, only with poorer writing. I'm assuming Pilkington's departure was due to him reading the scripts and thinking no thanks. The whole thing with Kev could have been interesting but alas the writing simply isn't good enough, the entire trying to conceive storyline was cringe worth and childish in the extreme. It's simply neither funny nor dramatic and feels like Gervais was desperate to fill the time with something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Hey

Just spotted a trailer for an hour long special on Channel 4 on Monday night at 10pm.

I'll be looking forward to it anyway. I think its a great show.

Mr Edge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Rjd2 wrote: »
    It’s believed the show revolves around Gervais’s character Derek Noakes, a mentally challenged aspiring comedian who loves animals and still lives with his mum.

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2011/11/25/14392/gervais_pilots_old_folks_comedy#ixzz1eiLn0e8E

Stewart Lee wrote an article about how he was expecting the worst from this and I totally understand his fear. But heh, celebrities sending themselves up! :D

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/nov/13/stewart-lee-comedy-offensive-gervais

I presume people are swallowing their words now?

Some choice reviews. A far cry from mocking disabled people.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Hibernosaur

I really liked this series but the Kev character nearly made it unwatchable in parts as it just became pure toilet humour. I think the show would have been better off without Kev, and if Karl had stuck around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I have the xmas special recorded. Ill force myself to watch it before next christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Saipanne wrote: »
    I presume people are swallowing their words now?

Is it not "eating ones words"? The show was never my cup of tea and ain't seen it since season one, but is it really that good, compared to The Office or Extras it pales massively imo.

Is it not "eating ones words"? The show was never my cup of tea and ain't seen it since season one, but is it really that good, compared to The Office or Extras it pales massively imo.

Yes, eating and spitting out.

That's not the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Saipanne wrote: »
    Yes, eating and spitting out.

That's not the point.

Care to elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Honey Monster

I have the xmas special recorded. Ill force myself to watch it before next christmas.

It's absolutely awful.

Care to elaborate?

No, it's only a few posts up. Easy enough to follow.

Advertisement