Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derek (Ricky Gervais and Karl Pilkington Sitcom)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭brian_t

Hey

Does anyone know if this is repeated?.

It's repeated on C4 on Tuesdays at 11.00pm

It's also on 4seven at 3.05am on Saturday morning and at 1.05am on Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Grimebox wrote: »

Unfortunately my "broadband" doesn't lend itself to streaming tv programs/movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Second series ahoy!
    Ricky Gervais comedy-drama Derek is to return for a second series on Channel 4.

Six more 30-minute episodes have been commissioned, after the first series attracted a consolidated average of 2.1m viewers.

"Derek is probably my favourite thing of everything I've done, so I can't wait to start thinking up some new adventures for the gang," said Gervais, who writes and directs the show, in addition to playing the title character.

Phil Clarke, Channel 4's Head of Comedy, added: "I am delighted that Derek is coming back for a second run on Channel 4. It's an original comic vision, brave, funny and touching, with a star performance at its heart. It has already garnered a loyal following."

Derek debuted with a pilot episode in April 2012, with a full series following in January of this year.

Karl Pilkington, Kerry Godliman and David Earl also star in the show, which concludes its first series this Wednesday (March 6) at 10pm on Channel 4.

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.ie/tv/news/a463064/ricky-gervaiss-derek-gets-second-series-on-channel-4.html#ixzz2MaBfEYqO

Source: DigitalSpy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I find this show to be neither funny or endearing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭madness98

I've heard really mixed opinions about this, I have liked some of Ricky Gervais stuff before but to be honest could take him or leave him. Is this worth watching?

madness98 wrote: »
    I've heard really mixed opinions about this, I have liked some of Ricky Gervais stuff before but to be honest could take him or leave him. Is this worth watching?

Only six 25 minute long episodes in the series so not a huge investment. Reviews are teetering around slightly above average across the board.

I enjoy it but can easily see why people don't like it. It is not ground breaking and can be appear predictable and unoriginal at times. I think it makes up for that in its charm and moments of hilarity.

Seeing Karl Pilkington in his first proper acting role is reason enough for me to watch it, so there may be an element of fanboy-ism on my part :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I think it is funny - subtle funny, definitely not laugh out loud funny.

It is a brilliantly made program. It's warm, funny, sad and very real.

The humour is kept in check (and is in no way offensive) given the sensitive nature of the characters - elderly residents, mental disabilities etc.

All in all it's quite a heartwarming program.

I for one will be looking forward to series 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Gervais is an enigma to me, his stand up routine can be cruel & nasty.

so I don't know if he's being sincere about his portrayal of the main character or is it one big piss take on special needs people?

watch this does the autograph hunter remind you of anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

fryup wrote: »
    Gervais is an enigma to me, his stand up routine can be cruel & nasty.

so I don't know if he's being sincere about his portrayal of the main character or is it one big piss take on special needs people?

watch this does the autograph hunter remind you of anyone??

There's a pretty high level of irony in all his stand up, which a lot of people don't seem to get. Generally the targets of his standup are the sorts of people who have bigoted views.

But it's interesting how people think Derek is offensive, when his lack of intelligence is rarely if ever the target of a joke. Whereas it's perfectly ok for audiences to laugh at people like Father Dougal or Homer Simpson, who in real life would be considered to have learning difficulties.

I know those two characters are more of a cartoonish caricature than Derek, but then again, why is that acceptable, and a more nuanced realistic portayal isn't? Cartoonish ethnic stereotypes are completely taboo nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Aidric wrote: »
    I find this show to be neither funny or endearing.

Watch tonight's episode (number 6).

Possibly the best 30 minutes of fiction i have watched in years. Acting was top class.

Amazing episode...

.. I take back everything I've said about Kev's character.

His monologue this episode was just astounding!

"I'm not a failure cause I didn't succeed, I'm a failure because I didn't try"

One of the most emotionally draining episodes of a comedy I've seen in years.. stunning stuff!

I seemed to have something in my eye watching it!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

Excellent from start to finish.:)
    I had a tear ready to leave my eye the whole way through, I was struggling but it finally came out when I saw Derek jump out of the car and run back to his Dad.

I think I read on Gervais' Twitter feed a few weeks ago that we were supposed to hate Kev "for now" and I noticed in the last couple of episodes that we were getting to see his better side.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Gotta agree... Really felt for Kev after hearing some of his talking heads in tonight's episode... Good to see he's not a one dimensional character after all... He could arguably be the most complex...

And his quote about being a failure because he never tried (as Basq has already quoted about) is immediately one of my all-time favourite quotes...

Well written, well acted, well directed... Very glad this is coming back for a second season...

Ten out of ten, five stars, all thumbs, two pints of lager and a packet of crisps...

Only just watched it now. I completely lost it.

The moment Derek realised that that was his father he was talking to. Then when he runs out of the car to hug him. I can't remember the last time I've gotten so emotionally involved with a TV show. It really hit home. They still managed to fit some humour in there with Dougie and Kev's interviews. I thought this was just a flawed show that I enjoyed, I was wrong. Fantastic episode to bring it all together. 10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

The final episode of this series kind of reminded me of Gervais' joke to Kate Winslet at the Golden Globes where he joked he told her to do a holocaust movie and wait for the Oscar!

He seems to be the master of emotional manipulation. With the Office he practically invented the teeth grindingly cringey comedy genre. Something so awful you had to almost watch it through your fingers. With Derek, he's swapped cringe for a heart string tugging, tear jerking blubb fest. He really knows how to press people's buttons, watch the popular opinion silence the critics and then let the lorry loads of awards roll in!

(Im one of those forum begrudgers he hates I suppose. Im a massive cúnt in that case. :D )

Really stuck with me today. Can't remember a tv programme that has done that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I bit the bullet tonight and watched episodes 2 - 6. Only positive I can come up with is I want to see Derek & his father begin a relationship.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

Great show. Have yet to hear a genuine reason why the people dont like it, dont like it. They dont back up their disapproval very well which is annoying.

lahalane wrote: »
    Great show. Have yet to hear a genuine reason why the people dont like it, dont like it. They dont back up their disapproval very well which is annoying.

Meh don't take it personally. I can't stand Curb Your Enthusiasm and Seinfeld; I know I'm wrong on those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

Grimebox wrote: »
    Meh don't take it personally. I can't stand Curb Your Enthusiasm and Seinfeld; I know I'm wrong on those.

True. I suppose I can accept people not liking it because its not their kind of show. I know that everyone has a different taste in comedy. If thats their reason then its fine.

Is it that people were expecting a flat out comedy? Gervais has never done straight comedy.. very funny emotive comedy is his forté.

Referring to it as "manipulative tugging at the heartstrings" just comes across as a bit narrow-minded.

Whether you like him or not - Gervais wrote, directed and starred in this and did a damn fine job of finally creating something different but equally brilliant to his previous series (well.. Life's Too Short aside). And he did it on his own without a co-writer in Merchant (who I always thought was the brains behind their efforts.. now I'm not so sure!).

Watched the pilot and was surprised by just how good it was. It is not a comedy but like M.A.S.H. it's a dramedy. I found the ending really touching and Gervais impressed the hell out of me especially in those moments after his friends death. It was one of the sweetest moments I've seen on TV and I never thought that Gervais had it in him to write something so understated and honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Hallyington

I thought it was brilliant

Just went to pre-order the DVD, and not out til November... bloody 'ell! :eek:

I'd say due to the fact it was a co-production with Netflix US, they probably want it to have a good run on that before releasing the DVD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

Basq wrote: »

Its mad to hear "Derek" with Ricky's annoying laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Anybody else recognise Derek's dad from father ted? Played the drunk priest talking to Todd untious in the bar during the Xmas special....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I think the criticism of the series is from people who were never going to like it due to their bugbears with Gervais.

I'm a fan but I find it hard to stomach people being so cynical towards the show.

I thought it was great, mainly due to it being very real. If anyone has encountered a person like Derek. The actors all put in great performances and made the story so believable. I felt for everyone by the end(even kev).

I can understand the argument of it being somewhat dolloped on, but that's why I think we(at least I) watch TV. No harm with somebody fishing for your tears as long as it's genuine and delivers.

Advertisement