Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Electric Car Charge Points

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

paddy147 wrote: »
    Until an EV looks like and can go like the car in I-Robot,then you are all living in a dream world.You really all are.
    Im fairly EV agnostic, but we are already past that point. While the movie is set in the future, its a 2003 design study. Even Audi have moved well on with the 2013 R8 e-Tron, a real car in everything but actually being release.

In I-Robot, thats clearly a TT with a terrible bodykit. The Tesla Model S already looks better IMO, is available and also outperforms that car.
    2012-tesla-model-s-fd.jpg

The Fisker Karma looks nicer again, but doesnt quite have the range (or fast charging) of the Tesla. It does have the 400hp / 950ft/lbs torque though as well as an ICE to continously charge the battery pack (like a "Diesel" train does it).
    fisker-karma-white-knight-sr-auto-628.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Does anyone know if hotels will allow you to charge if you are not staying there but want a refill ? I suppose if you were having lunch or dinner it would be fine ?

Now I would love to see chargers around Wicklow :-)

B&B owners take note also. :)

My understanding at present is that the Hotel ones etc.. are for customer use, so dinner, cuppa, resident... it's how they make it worth their while having - can't really fault that.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    However the fact you and a handful of "extremely dedicated" enthusiasts can cover larger distances with a planned out route ... does not prove what you think it does. Given time one could use a horse to cover the same distance in a similarly "un-modern" inconvenienced trip.

Ya see - If you want to rush everywhere, then of course, you're correct. But the point in itself simply means that we have differing attitutes to the journey. It has very little to do with the means.
    you have blindly traded freedom of movement for what exactly? Cheapness of operation?

Apart from the "blindly" part, the above is far more correct than I believe you intended it to be. There's a compromise to be made yes, but it's nowhere near as profound as you appear to believe.

The only place I can't get too and from with ease right now is Achill, and that's going to change pretty shortly too. You have to factor in charge stops on long journeys, yes, but that's a pretty small compromise as I see it.

...but then again... I'm not in a rush everywhere.
    Thats one step above public transport, limited to pre-routed destinations and equally frugal. You shouldnt be comparing EVs to Cars, you should compare them to Buses and Trains.

...oh come off it will you - there was actually some proper debatable content to your post up until this statement. :rolleyes:
    You fairness, again, you need to put your reality hat on here, there are 192 cars sold in 3 years, presumably only 150 in actual operation, such a small number not only is totally insignificant in drawing in anything at all to an area, but clearly doesnt warrant the multimillion Euro freeride the tax payer is providing you in charging infrastructure, lost Pay and Display parking, VRT and tax breaks and assorted kickbacks.

Again, you're incorrect - but primarily because you're not looking at the bigger picture. EV's aren't just about pushing the green agenda. They're about reforming the entire ESB grid profile, making it far more efficient to run.

There are very good reasons why they are desirable to have in the mix, very few of which harp back to CO2 emissions.
    I think one day they will make a compelling argument, but I think that form will be in a home-charged 600km range half price Tesla Model S type thing, not a routes planned around public charging spots fiasco of today. Sadly when that day arrives, the EV gravy train will definitely be over and you will be paying vastly more for "fuel", car, tax, VRT as they will be classed the same as any other car.

I think one day all of the above will come to pass yes - however, it's entirely, demonstrably true, that absolutely none of it is a requirement. (apart from the demise of the "gravy train" but until that happens, I'll happily spend my "inconvenience money" on something other than petrol and with a great big grin on my face too. ;) )

extremetaz wrote: »
    My understanding at present is that the Hotel ones etc.. are for customer use, so dinner, cuppa, resident... it's how they make it worth their while having - can't really fault that.

Ya see - If you want to rush everywhere, then of course, you're correct. But the point in itself simply means that we have differing attitutes to the journey. It has very little to do with the means.

Apart from the "blindly" part, the above is far more correct than I believe you intended it to be. There's a compromise to be made yes, but it's nowhere near as profound as you appear to believe.

The only place I can't get too and from with ease right now is Achill, and that's going to change pretty shortly too. You have to factor in charge stops on long journeys, yes, but that's a pretty small compromise as I see it.

...but then again... I'm not in a rush everywhere.

...oh come off it will you - there was actually some proper debatable content to your post up until this statement. :rolleyes:

Again, you're incorrect - but primarily because you're not looking at the bigger picture. EV's aren't just about pushing the green agenda. They're about reforming the entire ESB grid profile, making it far more efficient to run.

There are very good reasons why they are desirable to have in the mix, very few of which harp back to CO2 emissions.

I think one day all of the above will come to pass yes - however, it's entirely, demonstrably true, that absolutely none of it is a requirement. (apart from the demise of the "gravy train" but until that happens, I'll happily spend my "inconvenience money" on something other than petrol and with a great big grin on my face too. ;) )

Well said. ;)

Matt Simis says that electric cars mean less freedom, but in reality it's the very high price of petrol and diesel that is creating the restriction, we have cut down greatly on our weekend trips because the cost of getting to work is so much. An e.v would allow us the freedom to drive at the weekends again and spend our money in the area we go helping to create jobs and helps jobs be kept where spending a significant amount of your income on fuel only makes you travel less spending less in the local economy damaging business in the long run.

To me the savings on fuel mean I could buy a new car rather than spend my money on fuel and maintenance.

17500 Euros in 5 years is an incredible amount of money to spend on fuel even in a 60 mpg+ car. That's more than the new price of the Renault Zoe.That price also excludes maintenance on my current car. And the extra car tax. Which currently is 384 Euro's or something close. Which is another 1100 Euro's in that 5 years. Add another 2250 Euro's for basic maintenacne which increases as the car gets older. That's a saving of nearly 20 grand over 5 years.

However with regard to the Zoe there is battery rental and electricity costs which with my mileage per year add up to around 9500 over the 5 years, the electricity being just 2200 over the 5 years.

If you buy the Leaf then that 20 grand saving - 2200 for the electricity goes straight towards the car, meaning the 18 grand or so you save goes to the car, after the 5 years you buy another.

That's all based on my mileage and fuel consumption in a 60 mpg car, the savings are much more if you are coming from a 40-6y0 mpg car, that's real mpg not trip mpg.

When you sell Zoe the driver takes a lease out on the battery where as the leaf owner would probably be facing a replacement, the car will still have plenty of life.

I think attitudes should change in Ireland in regard to leasing, in the U.S you can lease a Leaf for as little as 180 Euro's per month.

The Leaf in the U.S costs around 20,000 Euro's and Americans moan about the price of the car, mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Joe 90

I don't care what anyone says about E.V's when I can afford one I will have one hopefully within the year.

I spend currently 3-3500 a year on petrol in a 60 mpg car over around 20-25 K miles. In the Renault Zoe That would go down to 450 a year over the same distance. So if I had to drive to a location that wasn't within my range and I had to charge for an hour while I have lunch or dinner a few times a year then to me that's a small sacrifice.

I just seen an from ESB Ecars where the woman drives from Monasterevin to City West for 8 Euro's a week in a Leaf. So maybe I could make it in in a Leaf.

The Nissan leaf has a higher purchase price and currently won't make my 84 mile a day commute in winter based on reports from owners. Though in the 80-100 kph traffic on the N7 it just might but it's too close, Zoe will have more range but how much is unknown yet. We will find out in March.

Either way I would save around 1500 Euros over the Prius at 60mpg.

If the Zoe had no battery rental I'd save 3,000, still 1500 is better in my pocket. And I save more in 0 maintenance costs.

You will most likely save some maintenance costs. You will still have tyres, brakes and suspension. Given that the EV will be a bit heavier than the equivalent ICE car then these costs will be slightly higher.

Joe 90 wrote: »
    You will most likely save some maintenance costs. You will still have tyres, brakes and suspension. Given that the EV will be a bit heavier than the equivalent ICE car then these costs will be slightly higher.

I didn't incluse the obvious in my calculations. Brakes last a lot longer on an ev then they do on a normal car and even on my Prius which last a long time. Regen on a full e.v is much stronger.

The suspension may or may not need replacing, I would have imagined it would be designed taking weight into consideration in the first place, but like any car anything can go wrong and e.v's are no exception. There is just far less to go wrong.

• Advertisement

Matt Simis says that electric cars mean less freedom, but in reality it's the very high price of petrol and diesel that is creating the restriction, we have cut down greatly on our weekend trips because the cost of getting to work is so much. An e.v would allow us the freedom to drive at the weekends again
    You write very long posts and perhaps this got lost, but are you really suggesting what you would spend 20 to 30k on a car to save money?

Id like to see these maths in detail as I fail to see how this is adding up.. a used 2 grand diesel something plus 14k in fuel would easily trump these figures over the same period. Infact my calculator (http://fuel.netcessible.com/FuelEuro/FuelEuro.htm) shows that EUR14k in Diesel gets you around 160,000 KM of driving or 600km a week. And you can drive a diesel anywhere anytime, not just to Dingle and Trim repeatedly.. whats the monetary value on freedom of choice again?

If you are trying to make the case for EVs on frugility.. well you cant. This is pretty much what the IT article suggested too, the dream only works if the cars were vastly cheaper. You want an EV, thats fine, but you want it for the sake of wanting it, it doesnt make sense in a logical manner (no more than my V12 ICE daily driver does).

On top of this, you have to pay for (and account for) the increased Electric usage (a rate thats going up all the time), car tax for EVs is definitely going to sky-rocket over a 5year period too, its tolerated now only cause they are so unpopular. Its a double edged sword for the early EV adopter, buy into it and its ownership costs increase per purchase at a national level.
    and spend our money in the area we go helping to create jobs and helps jobs be kept where spending a significant amount of your income on fuel only makes you travel less spending less in the local economy damaging business in the long run.
    Aside from the loaded pretension and smugness, there are no legs in this argument at all as you seem to be unaware that the petro-fuel you are "saving" personally has over 70% of its pricing routed in taxation. That taxation pays for the schools, roads, grants to business, grants to EV buyers, basically spread everywhere. Thats the social aspect, the commercial one: The fact our infastructue is setup to service ICE vehicles means that you also rob the Mechanic of business, the Petrol station, the bread company that supplies the rolls in the petrol station, the other local businesses around the petrol station that benefit from its consumer encatchment. The "cost" these represents to all walks of life is a league above whatever you think our communal "benefit" is to you driving an EV.

Im not going to argue this over and over, but buying EVs currently is a net loss to society via massively lost tax income (on fueling. purchase etc) and business (all reasons above). You either accept that or pretend to have your cake and eat it (its so cheap it inhibits spending but somehow also promotes business).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Saw a 12 D Renault EV broken down up on Jamestown Road yeaterday afternoon.

Car was dead/flat.

Driver was having a hissy fit on the phone to someone about it.

I asked him if he had a really long extension lead with him.

He went ape sh!t cursing at me like mad.

I pi55ed myself laughing,it was comical to see this chap lose the plot on the roadside.:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

Id like to see these maths in detail as I fail to see how this is adding up.. a used 2 grand diesel something plus 14k in fuel would easily trump these figures over the same period. Infact my calculator (http://fuel.netcessible.com/FuelEuro/FuelEuro.htm) shows that EUR14k in Diesel gets you around 160,000 KM of driving or 600km a week. And you can drive a diesel anywhere anytime, not just to Dingle and Trim repeatedly.. whats the monetary value on freedom of choice again?

Using your calculator and replacing BioDiesel with electricity, then taking annual difference and putting it as current value of future payments at 3% interest rates it seems that 2k+14k diesel vs 16k electric needs 10 years to payback. Maybe less as one could expect ICE to have somehow higher maintenance costs and maybe higher tax.

Saw a 12 D Renault EV broken down up on Jamestown Road yeaterday afternoon.

Car was dead/flat.

Driver was having a hissy fit on the phone to someone about it.

I asked him if he had a really long extension lead with him.

He went ape sh!t cursing at me like mad.

I pi55ed myself laughing,it was comical to see this chap lose the plot on the roadside.:D:D:D

Oh please, even if you did who cares? what's your point ? he probably didn't charge it or forgot.

How many cars have we seen on the shoulder ?

You write very long posts and perhaps this got lost, but are you really suggesting what you would spend 20 to 30k on a car to save money?

If you are trying to make the case for EVs on frugility.. well you cant. This is pretty much what the IT article suggested too, the dream only works if the cars were vastly cheaper. You want an EV, thats fine, but you want it for the sake of wanting it, it doesnt make sense in a logical manner (no more than my V12 ICE daily driver does).

On top of this, you have to pay for (and account for) the increased Electric usage (a rate thats going up all the time), car tax for EVs is definitely going to sky-rocket over a 5year period too, its tolerated now only cause they are so unpopular. Its a double edged sword for the early EV adopter, buy into it and its ownership costs increase per purchase at a national level.

Aside from the loaded pretension and smugness, there are no legs in this argument at all as you seem to be unaware that the petro-fuel you are "saving" personally has over 70% of its pricing routed in taxation. That taxation pays for the schools, roads, grants to business, grants to EV buyers, basically spread everywhere. Thats the social aspect, the commercial one: The fact our infastructue is setup to service ICE vehicles means that you also rob the Mechanic of business, the Petrol station, the bread company that supplies the rolls in the petrol station, the other local businesses around the petrol station that benefit from its consumer encatchment. The "cost" these represents to all walks of life is a league above whatever you think our communal "benefit" is to you driving an EV.

Im not going to argue this over and over, but buying EVs currently is a net loss to society via massively lost tax income (on fueling. purchase etc) and business (all reasons above). You either accept that or pretend to have your cake and eat it (its so cheap it inhibits spending but somehow also promotes business).

Jesus Matt, you say I post long ? ;)

The tax on petrol and diesel currently isn't going to the banks, schools, roads, hospitals where it is badly needed, grant it probably some is, but most of outr tax income is going to pay welfare and the banks.

The garages and so on can install fast chargers and I'll gladly go in and buy my coffee as I do when I get Petrol once a week.

The loss of tax on E.V's currently is nothing but with the introduction of property taxes when it comes into full swing in a few years will make up and probably more for that along with water charges. I'm not anti tax, but I'm against taxing the crap out of transport, it's not a luxury it's essential to get to work. For me anyway. I'd gladly cycle 20 kms a day to work, or even take the leccy bike, no problem as it's way more fun.

My calculations if you read them are fairly good as I've calculated it out many times.

I'll do this again for the last time. it costs me 65 Euro's a week in Petrol over a year is 3250 Euro's a year .x5 years I would have the car =16,250 Euro's. Maintenance is around 200 -250 on the Prius twice a year =500 a year or 2500 after 5 years. That's 18,750 after 5 years. Road tax = 380 for the Prius being a 07 saving 220 euro's a year or 1100 after the 5 years that's a grand total of 19,850 Euro's.

Battery rental costs 120 a month ( not final yet ) that's 3000 over 5 years - electricity would cost 2250 over the 5 years so that and battery rental cost 5,250 - the 18,750 = 13,500 saved over ICE car in total.

SO I could have zoe for free after 5 years with trade in, or choose to buy a 2k car and maintain it over 20-25K miles a year and pay the costs in maintenance car tax and petrol or diesel. If that's what people want I've no problem with that. I'm simply pointing out what you get from going electric over an ICE car.

You could choose to buy a Leaf with no battery rental (very unwise if doing high mileage ) or simply rent it in the zoe and after the 5 years sell the car or take a new lease out on a reconditioned battery, I highly doubt they will have a new battery on offer and there surely will be more range in 2018.

Sure tax will go up no doubt but also on normal cars keeping the gap, or greater.

Remember a car that does 40 mpg on my commute of 84 miles a day will spend another 1000 a year in fuel. another 5 grand after 5 years.40 mpg= 9,6 L of fuel per day 47.66 a week x 1.65 per litre.

Phew that was a long one! :eek:

• Advertisement

Using the word "save money" in conjuction with a car is a complete oxymoron - you never save money where cars are concerned, however you can cut your costs, and to that end the numbers do definitely work out if you're doing the mileage - even considering the capital outlay.

In my household the leaf displaces petrol expenditure of ~€5000/annum assuming petrol price of €1.64/l at 53mpg as consumed by my old Civic hybrid (~36,000 miles/annum if you'd like to check the math).

That amounts to ~€420/month and is offset against an €80 increase in my Electricity bill and €70 increase in my car finance.

So net monthly expenditure is down by €270/month. So that's >€16k not spent over the lifetime of the finance - which, in my instance is more than 75% of the finance I took after trade in.

Your taxes argument is also entirely moot as my money all gets spent domestically in any case - the direct to government tax take may suffer as a result but the shops and hotels in which I spend that "tax money" reap the benefits (and in paying their own taxes ultimately send it that way regardless) so the whole lot works out to the same net benefit of the domestic economy in any case.

extremetaz wrote: »

Your taxes argument is also entirely moot as my money all gets spent domestically in any case - the direct to government tax take may suffer as a result but the shops and hotels in which I spend that "tax money" reap the benefits (and in paying their own taxes ultimately send it that way regardless) so the whole lot works out to the same net benefit of the domestic economy in any case.

Thats nice, we could all use the exact same argument tomorrow and refuse to pay taxes. I could be spending my current EUR1600 motor tax in hotels you say?
    I wasnt bringing motor tax (and VRT and grants into this), you guys did, its just annoying to see you try to justify the free ride you are getting along the lines that its going to benefit society versus everyone else who is paying more directly and paying your way too.

I wouldnt generally advise this line of "back patting" when trying to advocate your EV case.

Thats nice, we could all use the exact same argument tomorrow and refuse to pay taxes. I could be spending my current EUR1600 motor tax in hotels you say?
    I wasnt bringing motor tax (and VRT and grants into this), you guys did, its just annoying to see you try to justify the free ride you are getting along the lines that its going to benefit society versus everyone else who is paying more directly and paying your way too.

Speaking for myself, I never mentioned VRT or any of the others above and I'm certainly not advocating the non-payment of legislated taxes.

Petrol/diesel however is not a legislated tax, it's a consumer based tax, I don't consume them so I don't pay it - the money I would be spending on it however, is recirculated into the domestic economy regardless.

Furthermore, if my attempts at countering your debate have been construed as attempts to "justify the free ride" I'm getting, then I will attempt a clarification of the issue.

I bought my EV because of the "free ride" (quite literally) which it presently provides me. Far from attempting to justify the mechanism by which this situation has arisen, what I have attempted to do here is to highlight that it exists.

It's existance is, no doubt, transient and will pass when the number of EV's reaches a sufficient percentage of the national fleet but for now, I'm entirely happy to take advantage of it (FFS that's the very reason for the existance of it!) - and if a love of paying taxes is what's preventing you from doing so, then suit yourself, but don't demonise me for it. I'm one of the folk who's actually doing what Europe and the Govt. want me to do! (...ok... now I feel a little dirty :p)

Again however, I will reiterate, that whether or not you deem the present incentives towards EV's to be justifyable, EV's *are* a very desirable component in the transport mix for a vast number of reasons.

At present, the government, in conjuction with the EU and with funded assistance from the FP7 framework has deemed that the investment required in order to incentivise the uptake of EV's is worthwhile and will pay dividends in the future. If you're not happy with that situation then I suggest you write a strongly worded letter to someone involved with the FP7 framework and express how dissatisfied you are that EV owners aren't as miserable as you are - and explaining why you're so against the notion of joining them rather than beating them. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Oh please, even if you did who cares? what's your point ? he probably didn't charge it or forgot.

Bring a plastic petrol can with him in the boot next time.Oh no wait (lol)

Bring a plastic petrol can with him in the boot next time.Oh no wait (lol)

He can bring the can but what if he forgets to get the petrol ? ;)

Advertisement