Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Electric Car Charge Points

Options
  • 20-03-2012 1:49pm

This is an E-Mail I got from John Whelan of E.S.B Ecars.

All of the ESB’s public AC chargers (excluding some legacy points installed 2 years ago) are 3-phase 22kW points. This means that they can charge a 3-phase electric vehicle in around 1 hour (as most vehicles have a battery size between 22-24kWr).

Note that the Nissan Leaf does not have a 3-phase charger. The vehicle can only take a single-phase 3kW charge from the ESB’s 3-phase 22kW points. Therefore it will take the Nissan Leaf approximately 7.5 hours to charge from 0-100% at a public AC charge point. The Leaf can only fast charge when using a DC charge point.

The Renault Zoe (and next version of the Fluence and Kangoo) will have a 3-phase charger and a will be able to charge in 1 hour from the public AC points.

Regards,

John Whelan
    ESB ecars

Comments

This is a game changer for me because I had absolutely no idea the on street chargers could charge so fast.

I always thought they were closer to home supply capable, something around 3kw.

So I could charge zoe when she comes out in an hour from 0-100% from an on street charger. But mostly will take under an hour because you will never drive to 0%.

I'm incredibly impressed that the E.S.B chose to do it right, I don't think most of the U.K chargers are that powerful !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Myself and a few other like minded EV owners have met with ESB ecars on more than one occasion. That's how I knew about the 3 phase public chargers. Northern Ireland is also going for the same specification level for public chargers. Knowing what I know, I do think ESB ecars is doing a good job, despite the delays in getting the charging infrastructure out there. They have to plan for more than just the Nissan Leaf, they have access to R&D information before Joe Public knows about it. So they have to keep one eye on what they know will be released in the next few years and plan accordingly.

http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2009-10-13.284.0
    The Memorandum of Understanding concluded by the ESB and my Department with Renault-Nissan is designed to increase the level of knowledge available on the infrastructure requirements of electric vehicles and ensure that Ireland has the opportunity to be one of the first countries to be supplied with both Renault and Nissan electric cars. This represents a major opportunity for Ireland. Under the Memorandum of Understanding ESB Networks will be able to avail of data on developments in electric vehicles which will inform our consideration of optimum infrastructure, support mechanisms and the potential benefits accruing.

http://www.completecar.ie/news/article/414/Toyota-introduces-Prius-Plug-In-Hybrid-to-Ireland

Here is also a link on an MOU signed with Toyota. Below another link that doesn't mention specific names, but does mention signing more MOU's

http://www.handling-network.com/irish-electric-transport-debate-hots-up/
    In his address Minister Cuffe stated that in recent months the Government has signed a second memorandum of understanding with a major manufacturer to promote the development of the electric vehicle industry in Ireland. “This clearly demonstrates our commitment to strengthen and develop Ireland’s international position as a first-mover for this innovative sector and a pioneer in cleaner, greener transport,” said the Minister. “We are fully committed to the roll-out of alternative transport options, and I have made this a priority issue during my term as Minister for Sustainable Transport,” he added.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I love the look of the Zoe but I couldn't imagine connecting one to a public charge point and leaving it. Surely it would be open to vandalism etc.

There's one of these charge points outside the shopping centre from the Dawn of the Dead in Crumlin. I'd be weary parking a LR Defender there let alone a dainty little EV with a cable hanging out of it.

I think anyone foolish to mess with an ev cable carrying 22kw should think again,

There is no coming back from a shock of that kind, it could be their last mistake!

EDIT--- any cables found to be defective or even looks defective, report it immediately, even stick a note on the charger for others to see it. Never use a charger with a defective cable. You will die if that current hits you!

I'm sure it is not going to be a problem, I'm sure they will be inspected!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

So how much money does it cost to charge up a car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Lon Dubh

I think I read on the Renault website that the chargers couldn't be disconnected by someone else, but I wonder if the equipment could still be damaged?

I think anyone foolish to mess with an ev cable carrying 22kw should think again,

There is no coming back from a shock of that kind, it could be their last mistake!

Presumably they'd have to cater for the event though, H&S and all, for example a mobility scooter / child could get tangled up in the cable and damage it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Lon Dubh

That is a good point! I suppose if people are hell bent on damaging a car they will damage it in some way no matter what type it is anyway.

Lon Dubh wrote: »
    I think I read on the Renault website that the chargers couldn't be disconnected by someone else, but I wonder if the equipment could still be damaged?
    I would imagine the copper fairies would have a go at taking the cable regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Do you think any car clubs will be set up in Dublin beside these things? So you could rent one for a hour or so? Like Dublin bikes only for cars?

Ive seen car clubs in London of petrol cars and vans but I think it would work better with EV cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Lon Dubh wrote: »
    That is a good point! I suppose if people are hell bent on damaging a car they will damage it in some way no matter what type it is anyway.

They said the same about Dublin bikes. Theres not as much scum about as people thought..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

afatbollix wrote: »
    Do you think any car clubs will be set up in Dublin beside these things? So you could rent one for a hour or so? Like Dublin bikes only for cars?

Ive seen car clubs in London of petrol cars and vans but I think it would work better with EV cars.

You might find this interesting!

http://www.businessgreen.com/bg/news/2113651/paris-electic-car-sharing-scheme-sparks-life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The current a cable is carrying will have no bearing on the shock received by contact with such a cable.

The danger in such cables is if they are short circuited.

Being 3 phase, it will be 400v though, which is dangerous in itself if contated. But again, if its 1kw or 100kw, the shock a person would receive is the same.

They will have RCD protection anyway, which will prevent serious shocks, unless the person is unlucky enough to contact between 2 phases only, which is extremely unlikely.

Still, a vandal might be in for a nasty shock alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Is the Leaf charger upgradeable to this? Seems like a bit of an oversight or was it a carryover from the Japanese market?

Is the Leaf charger upgradeable to this? Seems like a bit of an oversight or was it a carryover from the Japanese market?

Afaik the leaf charger is not upgradeable, it would probably cost a lot anyway.

I think it's more to do with the fact the leaf can accept 50 kw of DC power, and charge from 0-80% in 30 mins. While Zoe can't.

Maybe they saw no need at the time, I think it's more to do with how quickly the technology is progressing. The chargers are getting smaller, and the inverters built into the motors, as in the case of the Mitsubishi I-MeV.

Soon the motors will be in the wheels themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Speaking of electric cars, the Renault Twizy seems like a good bet for city driving for a couple with no kids. Really wish they included proper doors though. Realistically you'd have to wear waterproof gear all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Am I right in reading that the Leaf takes over SEVEN hours to charge from an ESB point ?

How does one pay for using these charge points and what is the rough cost of a charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

How does one pay for using these charge points and what is the rough cost of a charge?

The tax payer funds them AFAIK

So free electric for electric car owners?

• Advertisement

If you were to charge up 24kwh`s at home, that would be about €4.50

Confab wrote: »
    Speaking of electric cars, the Renault Twizy seems like a good bet for city driving for a couple with no kids. Really wish they included proper doors though. Realistically you'd have to wear waterproof gear all the time.

Afaik doors are an option, not sure if they are full doors ?

I wouldn't be surprised if aftermarket kits become available!

robbie7730 wrote: »
    If you were to charge up 24kwh`s at home, that would be about €4.50

At night it would cost around 1.80, as you would have a night meter installed!

On street I've no idea. But I would imagine its cheaper at night too ?

At night it would cost around 1.80, as you would have a night meter installed!

Thats true. Its a little more expensive for the standing charge, and daytime units with that setup, making it hard to be worth while for most, having to move daytime loads to night.

But would be hugely worth while when chaging a car every night.

So free electric for electric car owners?

I don't think so, it was in the beginning but ai thought they were charging now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Theres one beside merrion sq with no coin, swipes, etc... just some sockets for the cars so I assume it is still free

• Registered Users Posts: 5,636 ✭✭✭creedp

Theres one beside merrion sq with no coin, swipes, etc... just some sockets for the cars so I assume it is still free

Could you plug in your electric kettle to have a nice cup of [free] tea or maybe your ipad ... I think its bizarre that the taxpayer is funding free electricity for EV's and yet thousands are being cut off by the ESB for the non payment of electricity bills .. talk about a perverted sense of priorities!

I would rather the tax payer pay for energy that is generated in Ireland to help generate more Irish jobs than taxpayers money go to the banks that abused their powers and get away with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 lizzybradbury

So how much money does it cost to charge up a car?

I wanna ask this again as I didn't see an answer - How much does it cost on average to run an electric car imagining that you are doing normal driving to work?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 lizzybradbury

p.s. Also, what are you to do while waiting for your car to charge - Is this a new gap in the consumer market? Will companies create entire shopping centres and amusement parks around electric hook-up points....ingenious

Advertisement