Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Electric Car Charge Points

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I can see both of these posts. Is there another one you're looking for or is it one of these you can't see?
    I blame the Oil company illuminati. ;)

Also, Colour=LIME!?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Just doing my bit for the environment matt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Referring to ICE cars and ICE drivers is becoming just as annoying as motorcyclists referring to car drivers as Cagers.. Wish this crap would stop.

I can see why there might be a need for a term but I don't agree with the way it is being applied.

ICE is hardly a derogatory term though, it just differentiates from electric cars in a discussion usually about EVs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Referring to ICE cars and ICE drivers is becoming just as annoying as motorcyclists referring to car drivers as Cagers.. Wish this crap would stop.

I can see why there might be a need for a term but I don't agree with the way it is being applied.

Ice cagers

• Advertisement

ICE is hardly a derogatory term though, it just differentiates from electric cars in a discussion usually about EVs

I think that as soon as you have a term like this which people latch onto that it inevitably helps polarise people into a them and us state. Perhaps I am being swayed by the extreme opinions I see on autoblog green comment threads.

The simplest terms are almost always loaded with connotations, south side vs north side. And so on. Points made anyways, will see if it develops a mind of its own or not.

Would it be as bad if they used the actual words rather than the acronym, I mean when you say something like

I would imagine that would be up to each Co. Council but in reality they can't have free parking for Electric Vehicle bays because legally no such bays exist and an Internal combustion engine car could park there perfectly legally and nothing can be done about it except electric vehicle owners boxing them in as I would do if I needed to charge.

Would it be as bad if they used the actual words rather than the acronym, I mean when you say something like

I would imagine that would be up to each Co. Council but in reality they can't have free parking for Electric Vehicle bays because legally no such bays exist and an Internal combustion engine car could park there perfectly legally and nothing can be done about it except electric vehicle owners boxing them in as I would do if I needed to charge.

Electric or non-electric, perhaps.
    Maybe im the only one it rankles with. Carry on....

Electric or non-electric, perhaps.
    Maybe im the only one it rankles with. Carry on....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_combustion_engine
    ICE is an absolutely correct and perfect and not new term (there has been ICE vs "something" for 100years). "Non-electric" actually implies a deviation from a norm, which would be somewhat misleading and derogatory.

In reading old mechanical guides and manuals the acronym "ICE" or term Internal Combustion Engine is used.. I dont get why because EVs are somewhat available we would have to go rebrand everything else. Infact EV drivers could make the exact same compliant you are making, "EV" has a swath of negative connotations.

Just stop reading Green propaganda.

I can see both of these posts. Is there another one you're looking for or is it one of these you can't see?

One post vanished, not bothered reposting.

• Advertisement

Internal Combustion Engine, ICE. It's hardly something to get annoyed over ?

I suppose we could start saying old cars, or outdated cars ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Internal Combustion Engine, ICE. It's hardly something to get annoyed over ?

Pot

Kettle

Black

One post vanished, not bothered reposting.

Def wasn't deleted from this end, we can see deleted posts too.

Thanks for validating my point.

Def wasn't deleted from this end, we can see deleted posts too.

Ah may have been browser error then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Just updating this thread to say there are 2 new Electric charging points being opened in Trim, in the town centre area public carpark (just down from the petrol station):

trimcharging2.jpg

Now if only I had a Tesla Model S Id be set.. :)

Just driving down Matt Finnegan Way(in Trim)this morning and noticed 2 more of these "parking bays" being built.
    Are they trying to turn trim into Irelands version of smug San Francisco full of aging hippies and do gooders?

Just driving down Matt Finnegan Way(in Trim)this morning and noticed 2 more of these "parking bays" being built.
    Are they trying to turn trim into Irelands version of smug San Francisco full of aging hippies and do gooders?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FAI_-woNh4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

nah - Trim folk think they've enough to be smug about already so I doubt that it. :p

I jest of course. Those bays are, believe it or not, there to facilite those of us in the midlands who drive EV's. Shocking I know!! But there you have it.

So I wonder when all the farmers will change over to electric jeeps,electric tractors and electric combine harvesters???:pac::D

extremetaz wrote: »

nah - Trim folk think they've enough to be smug about already so I doubt that it. :p

I jest of course. Those bays are, believe it or not, there to facilite those of us in the midlands who drive EV's. Shocking I know!! But there you have it.

Not being funny if you do own one of these cars but there is little enough parking in Trim as it is.
    I really doubt there will be 4 people driving these "friends" of the envoirment in a relatively small town needing a charge at the one time.

• Advertisement

Not being funny if you do web one of these cars but there is little enough parking in Trim as it is.
    I really doubt there will be 4 people driving these "friends" of the envoirment in a relatively small town needing a charge at the one time.

Indeed and by a long shot. I think people here arent quite aware of how few EVs are on the road:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/motors/2012/1017/1224325325202.html

192 cars, in the entire country, including dealer promo cars etc. Thats since 2009. There was meant to be 2000 on the road in the period 2009 to 2011. Its now nearly 2013 and its not even 10% of that figure.
    The numbers

The number of electric cars sold in the Republic since 2009

€23,300
    Average amount invested nationally in every electric car sold

€573,600
    Amount paid by Sustainable Energy Ireland in grants to buyers of electric vehicles

€3.9m
    Amount Electric Ireland has spent installing charging points

This is why I cant get worked up over that EV drivers say or do or call ICE cars etc. There are like a handful of them! Its even worse in places like Germany, percentage wise. Infact Germany has just 2700 EVs's on the road (this year), similar amounts our tiny country was meant to have.

In the short to medium term future they will be a player, but a minority one, more common in inner city niche applications, where they will excel.

^^^^^^
    Agree with you here MatSimis they may have a use in a city centre but they will be next to useless in a rural town with all but one road leading into it pothole infested.

I really doubt there will be 4 people driving these ... in a relatively small town needing a charge at the one time.

Not at the moment - but the biggest issues with adoption are "the range" and the "charging facilities".

Those of us using EV's know perfectly well that the charge infrastructure is quite adequate at present and particularly given the number of EV's on the road as you are all so eager to point out.

However - this is not true of the layperson and is an argument happily flaunted by the anti's. Hence in order to surmount this hurdle, raising the profile of the charging points is an important step and Trim is not only a heritage town which draws quite large tourism numbers, but it is also considered rural.

Both of these factors add up to an ideal staging point.

With the charge network developing at the rate it is, and EV's getting the rave reviews which they are from actual users, I dare say that it won't be all that terribly long before you find that those spaces will be in regular use.

^^^^^^
    Agree with you here MatSimis they may have a use in a city centre but they will be next to useless in a rural town with all but one road leading into it pothole infested.

Utter rubbish.

This idea of the EV as an "urban only" vehicle has been demonstrated as nonsense time and again in everyday use by owners in this country, myself included.

Mine has accumulated 27k km since the middle of May of this year. At least half of which has been done passing through Trim.

Tramore is now our preferred surf spot as it has a charger in the Tesco.

Dingle makes for a great weekend trip as there's a charger there too.

...and more and more businesses are realising this.
    Hotel, campsites, shopping centers... they're all installing chargers because it gives them an edge with EV users and the outlay to do it is minimal.

If anything, the rural town charging spot is drawing in business and tourism for the town - not much yet granted, as we are still so few in number - but those numbers are growing and will continue to do so.

Utter rubbish.

This idea of the EV as an "urban only" vehicle has been demonstrated as nonsense time and again in everyday use by owners in this country, myself included.

Mine has accumulated 27k km since the middle of May of this year. At least half of which has been done passing through Trim.

Hotel, campsites, shopping centers... they're all installing chargers because it gives them an edge with EV users and the outlay to do it is minimal.

If anything, the rural town charging spot is drawing in business and tourism for the town - not much yet granted, as we are still so few in number - but those numbers are growing and will continue to do so.

Does anyone know if hotels will allow you to charge if you are not staying there but want a refill ? I suppose if you were having lunch or dinner it would be fine ?

Now I would love to see chargers around Wicklow :-)

B&B owners take note also. :)

I don't care what anyone says about E.V's when I can afford one I will have one hopefully within the year.

I spend currently 3-3500 a year on petrol in a 60 mpg car over around 20-25 K miles. In the Renault Zoe That would go down to 450 a year over the same distance. So if I had to drive to a location that wasn't within my range and I had to charge for an hour while I have lunch or dinner a few times a year then to me that's a small sacrifice.

I just seen an from ESB Ecars where the woman drives from Monasterevin to City West for 8 Euro's a week in a Leaf. So maybe I could make it in in a Leaf.

The Nissan leaf has a higher purchase price and currently won't make my 84 mile a day commute in winter based on reports from owners. Though in the 80-100 kph traffic on the N7 it just might but it's too close, Zoe will have more range but how much is unknown yet. We will find out in March.

Either way I would save around 1500 Euros over the Prius at 60mpg.

If the Zoe had no battery rental I'd save 3,000, still 1500 is better in my pocket. And I save more in 0 maintenance costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭delad

why would you have the zoe over the leaf? next year when the leaf can go 30 extra miles with the heating on surely it would make a lot more sense to go with that financially?

delad wrote: »
    why would you have the zoe over the leaf? next year when the leaf can go 30 extra miles with the heating on surely it would make a lot more sense to go with that financially?

Who said the Leaf will go an extra 30 miles ? There is a rumour that it will get the zoe heat pump but that's it, there are 0 plans for the new battery until 2015 so that may bring extra range maybe not, but they would have to have the LG Chem batteries and not the current NEC that's why I favour the Zoe over the Leaf currently.

The Zoe also has a 44kw AC charger which 99% of all ESB chargers are 22 kw, the Leaf can only currently charge at 3.3kw or from a fast DC charger which there are a tiny fraction compared to the AC chargers.

The Zoe will cost 16,500 that's if there is no VRT applied this year, compared to the Leaf which costs 29K and I would still save 1500 per year including the battery rental and I have the guarantee that they will replace it if it falls below 75% capacity in the 5 years I would take the Lease on the battery.

Also the new owner will rent a battery that has 75% or greater capacity if I sell it. I don't think they will give a new battery on a new lease on a 2nd hand car. It's a brave move for Renault that's for sure and the stakes are very high.

Utter rubbish.
    Well I never said urban only, I said excel at urban commuting. However the fact you and a handful of "extremely dedicated" enthusiasts can cover larger distances with a planned out route, "surf spots" etc does not prove what you think it does. Given time one could use a horse to cover the same distance in a similarly "un-modern" inconvenienced trip.

The rest of use dont say things like "dingle makes a great weekend trip there is a charger there too". Thats just totally depressing.
    I think these EV "success stories" do more harm than good, you have blindly traded freedom of movement for what exactly? Cheapness of operation? Thats one step above public transport, limited to pre-routed destinations and equally frugal. You shouldnt be comparing EVs to Cars, you should compare them to Buses and Trains. They still arent at the level of an automobile in what it represents the individual.
    You fairness, again, you need to put your reality hat on here, there are 192 cars sold in 3 years, presumably only 150 in actual operation, such a small number not only is totally insignificant in drawing in anything at all to an area, but clearly doesnt warrant the multimillion Euro freeride the tax payer is providing you in charging infrastructure, lost Pay and Display parking, VRT and tax breaks and assorted kickbacks.

I think one day they will make a compelling argument, but I think that form will be in a home-charged 600km range half price Tesla Model S type thing, not a routes planned around public charging spots fiasco of today. Sadly when that day arrives, the EV gravy train will definitely be over and you will be paying vastly more for "fuel", car, tax, VRT as they will be classed the same as any other car.

• Advertisement

Until an EV looks like and can go like the car in I-Robot,then you are all living in a dream world.You really all are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHVBoS9CzSQ

Advertisement