Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Stupid thing is that even though we were massively outplayed by a better team, it still feels like we could have got an unlikely win. We left so many points out on the field, got gifted a few opportunities by the Defense and were moving the ball pretty well at times.

That first pick on the pass to Donnell just killed us. That was a lovely drive until then and would have put us in front.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

That old saying "they are who we thought they were" springs to mind. The winning run was against poorish teams and was masking obvious issues. The pass pro and running game is shambolic.

I agree with you guys on Flowers, there is no obvious progression with him. I know James Harrison was once good but he is 38 and has already retired once. Flowers made him look like LT out there at times, I was a huge fan of the pick but right now it is not looking like working out well.

We still have an awful lot of work to do to make the playoffs and you would fear for us if we come up against Seattle or Dallas once we get in, they would wipe us out.

Dallas are no good.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Dallas are no good.

In what alternate universe is that, we were fairly lucky to beat them Week 1, Dak & Zeke have came on in leaps and bounds since then. They will wipe the floor with us.

We weren't lucky to beat them week one at all. We were the better team and should have won by more. I've not seen anything in their last four or five games which makes me worry about them. What have you seen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Any word on the injuries from Sunday yet??

Any word on the injuries from Sunday yet??

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2016/12/giants_injury_updates_jason_pierre-paul_to_have_mr.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

JPP to have a scan (I don't see how he can play that position with an injured groin...)

Looks like Snacks, Hankins & Sensabaugh will be ok. Harris banged up in numerous areas and to be honest I'm not sure how much we'd miss him at this stage if he missed a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

We weren't lucky to beat them week one at all. We were the better team and should have won by more. I've not seen anything in their last four or five games which makes me worry about them. What have you seen?

An offensive line that allows them to dominate time of possession, wear down defenses, and put up points at the end of each half, regardless of how the 1st and 3rd quarter may have gone.

Their defense is below average, but it doesn't affect them so much because of their ability to run the ball on offense. They are a highly efficient offense as well. Dak is making the throws he needs to make, in a similar manner to Romo two years ago.

If we keep going three and out, it'll be a long, long day for us. Our offense will get our defense in a lot of trouble, I fear.

If Vereen is back, however, it could help us extend those drives, but hard to count on him after such a period out.

JPP is out for Sunday.. No actual diagnosis for him yet

Edit : He's had surgery this morning and is gone for the rest of the season.. Sports hernia apparently

Huge blow. He's been having such a great season.

• Advertisement

Ahhh ****.

Season done, imo. We need two wins from the next four, and I'm unfortunately not at all confident of that, especially without JPP.

The d-line is great, but it already didn't have any real depth. JPP and Vernon were playing well over 90% if snaps, and an article was saying that they were in line for the most defensive snaps for an edge rusher in a decade or more. This will weaken us a fair bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭wawaman

Imagine if we actually had an offense !!!!?

That was the most fun Monday morning I've had in a while. Told ya I wasn't scared of Dallas but Spags got his game-plan completely spot-on. Dak was only ever going to hurt us with his legs and the only times he was allowed out of the pocket was when the D flushed him out of there.

Zeke Elliot is something else though - it felt like the Giants contained him and he still ended up with what 110 yards?

That was the most fun Monday morning I've had in a while. Told ya I wasn't scared of Dallas but Spags got his game-plan completely spot-on. Dak was only ever going to hurt us with his legs and the only times he was allowed out of the pocket was when the D flushed him out of there.

Zeke Elliot is something else though - it felt like the Giants contained him and he still ended up with what 110 yards?

Zeke really does look the business, yes that O-line is very good but he makes plays when things are far from perfect.

Surprised that we got the win last night, real shot in the arm for our playoff hopes. Still think the division title is gone but not too much to fear from someone like Atlanta in a Wild Card game.

Our defense is phenomenal. Lose JPP, then churn out that performance. Damn.

The free agent additions have been outstanding thus far. Fairly play to Okwara stepping up last night as well.

Our offense is worryingly poor, unfortunately. If we have a top 5 Defense, we've a bottom 5 offense. That's somewhat inexcusable for a team with OBJ.

Nice to have Pugh back next week. Hopefully that will settle Flowers down a bit, as he is the main weak link. Newhouse has done quite well at guard, though.

Shame Vereen got a concussion as soon as he was back. He's so key in extending drives for us, but he could be out till playoffs now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Just Win Baby 😀

Great win

We badly need the O to get going but some performance by the D

Huge game at home to Detroit coming up

Unreal all the things that go into one play

http://www.giants.com/videos/videos/Inside-the-Film-Room-Okwara-takes-down-Dak/24745018-aaf4-4389-955e-ac580db54000

Banks is great at breaking it down

Job done again :)

Some catch by ODB for the TD

I've a funny feeling... A really funny feeling... Just maybe.. It might just be..

Missing JPP and Jenkins, and our D is still incredible. We have a Super Bowl defence, make no mistake.

• Advertisement

If the offense step it up even 10% we have a chance. Delighted with what Perkins has brought to the running game

Pugh being back clearly was a big improvement but I am terrified as to what a top end DE would do to Flowers in the play offs. The D is just awesome, really impressed by it (although if the Lions were letting Tahir Whitehead leave I'd take him!!)

The O is a real worry, we will not go far in the play-offs scoring 10 - 17 points per game.

So here is the play-off race as it stands

East

Dallas 12 - 2 vs Lions, @ Eagles - Project 14 -2 (No. 1)
    Giants 10 - 4 @ Eagles, @ Redskins - Project 11 - 5 (No. 5)

North
    Lions 9 - 5 @ Dallas, vs Packers - Project 9 - 7 (No. 6)
    Packers 8 -6 vs Vikings, @ Lions - Project 10 - 6 (No. 4)

South
    Atlanta 9 - 5 @ Panthers, vs Saints - Project 11 - 5 (No. 3)
    Tampa 8 - 6; @ Saints, vs Panthers - Project 9 - 7

West
    Seattle 9 -4 -1 vs Cards, @ 49ers - Project 11 - 4 - 1 (No. 2)

That would see us go to Green Bay, then most likely Dallas and finish up the Conference Championship in Seattle.

That is one hell of a slate to come through on the road if we are to make the Superbowl.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    That would see us go to Green Bay, then most likely Dallas and finish up the Conference Championship in Seattle.

That is one hell of a slate to come through on the road if we are to make the Superbowl.

Isnt it nice to be able to talk about the play offs like that after the last few years !!!

The lack of home field advantage really is the killer. I can't see us getting the 4 game road streak going again, unfortunately.

Must say, its great to be in the conversation at this time of year though. Seeing the excitement in the likes of Pugh, Collins and DRC after the game yesterday is fantastic.

http://i.imgur.com/nmTYZxm.png

Edit: Graphic too big so I'll post the text.

Giants Defense

Weeks 1-5: PPG: 21.6 Turnover Diff: -7
    Weeks 6-10: PPG: 19.0 Turnover Diff: -1
    Weeks 11-15: PPG: 13.2 Turnover Diff: +5

Love when a defense gets hot. Number 1 red zone defense in the league as well.

Knex. wrote: »
    The lack of home field advantage really is the killer. I can't see us getting the 4 game road streak going again, unfortunately.

Must say, its great to be in the conversation at this time of year though. Seeing the excitement in the likes of Pugh, Collins and DRC after the game yesterday is fantastic.

Actually, should have said how bloody good Landon Collins has become. His coverage ability is unrecognisable from last year. The tackle on Ebron at one point in the 2nd half was a fantastic read and cover.

Seeing Collins' progression has made me extremely excited for Eli Apple. I love what I've seen from him. Yeah, he's had some rookie moments, but overall he's looked very promising.

Bounces back from his mistakes with the type of memory we associate with Eli Manning, works hard, high energy, and is constantly showing up on game day. That stop on Golden Tate yesterday was top class.

Shout out to Andrew Adams as well, at free safety. We were all gutted when DT when down for the year, but after a rough first game or two, he's been excellent. No doubt he benefits from an excellent secondary group around him, but he's far exceeded expectations as an undrafted rookie.

Keenan Robinson and Cassilas deserve praise for their season as well. Also Kennard has finally stepped it up in the past two weeks, although a lot of that is because he's now involved more in the line rotation. Makes sense we have nickle and dime packages where we can add the likes of Hall in for coverage, and bring Landon down towards the box in an almost hybrid linebacker role.

Even having Coty Sensabaugh as what, our 5th or 6th string CB, strikes of insane depth in our secondary.

Definitely can't afford another injury to anyone on the d-line, however. Didn't see much of Okwara at all the last night, after a great game against Dallas, but Kerry Wynn showed nicely in the run game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Pugh being back clearly was a big improvement but I am terrified as to what a top end DE would do to Flowers in the play offs. The D is just awesome, really impressed by it (although if the Lions were letting Tahir Whitehead leave I'd take him!!)

The O is a real worry, we will not go far in the play-offs scoring 10 - 17 points per game.

So here is the play-off race as it stands

East

Dallas 12 - 2 vs Lions, @ Eagles - Project 14 -2 (No. 1)
    Giants 10 - 4 @ Eagles, @ Redskins - Project 11 - 5 (No. 5)

North
    Lions 9 - 5 @ Dallas, vs Packers - Project 9 - 7 (No. 6)
    Packers 8 -6 vs Vikings, @ Lions - Project 10 - 6 (No. 4)

South
    Atlanta 9 - 5 @ Panthers, vs Saints - Project 11 - 5 (No. 3)
    Tampa 8 - 6; @ Saints, vs Panthers - Project 9 - 7

West
    Seattle 9 -4 -1 vs Cards, @ 49ers - Project 11 - 4 - 1 (No. 2)

Eh the Redskins have a very good chance of making the playoffs if they can get a win tonight. A bit premature to write us off already!!!

Eh the Redskins have a very good chance of making the playoffs if they can get a win tonight. A bit premature to write us off already!!!

I am sorry, I didn't see that they had a game in hand. You are right of course.

A win tonight puts ye 8 - 5 - 1. @Chicago, vs Giants

In my reckoning for the Giants I put us down to beat the Eagles and lose to ye so being consistent I project ye to finish 10 - 5 - 1 (No. 6 seed for the Skins it is)

This could of course change our path to the Conference Championship as I would put ye a bigger threat to the Falcons than the Lions.

So in this newly realised, alternative universe the Giants could be @ Green Bay, @ Seattle and then @ Dallas :P

• Advertisement

I just want to avoid the Falcons.

Advertisement