Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

This sums it up:

"The starting unit ran 29 plays, and none of them were contested further than the Giants' own 46-yard line.

In eight series, the Giants' first-team offense ...

• Scored zero points.

• Ran 29 plays for a total of 61 yards. That's 2.1 yards-per-play.

• Rushed the ball 13 times for six yards. That's 0.46 yards-per-carry.

• Had three first downs.

• Saw Eli Manning get knocked around frequently.

• Finished each series with a punt, one of which was blocked.

And those numbers, as jarring as they are, feel somewhat inadequate in describing just how poor the Giants were offensively. "

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2016/08/giants_takeaways_vs_jets.html#incart_river_index

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Brought back Will Beatty today... 1 yr deal

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Just seeing that, yeah. Happy with that, tbh. If he's anyway healthy he'll be at least a solid player.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

It's a very sensible move, if fit, he will be starting really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

Please don't happen again, please don't happen again

• Advertisement

A wins a wins a win

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ssshhh123

Happy with a win on opening day I could get use to this

A win, and something positive to build upon. Our running game was far more impressive than theirs. Who'd have thought that?

Vernon and Harrison were excellent..

Absolutely delighted with that win

Zeke Elliot is a **** Andre Williams.

I'm buzzing, not sure how I'll sleep. I'm made up for Cruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuz

• Advertisement

Really unimpressed with that last night. You would think with a rookie QB/RB combo we could force a few turnovers but Prescott had it easy until the Redzone, our coverage was awful. Run D was outstanding, considering that O-Line would make me look good it was a very good effort. Vernon & Harrison were great.

Nice to see Cruz back, looked good. With Shepard also looking decent we have a potentially outstanding WR group. High praise coming for Shepard but I thought it was OBJ catching that TD the way he went up for it. Good to see Jennings getting the majority of the workload and only Vereen subbing in. Hope we don't go back to the ridiculous running back by committee we had last year.

Good Eli/Bad Eli was out in show again. The interception for me was all Eli, I know Shepard had slightly given up on the route but that was well before Eli threw it. The lateral to Jennings was begging for trouble, very lucky to get away with it. His pass for Shepard's TD was also underthrown. He has some great throws mixed in as well. I'd be very worried that he was under pressure from that D, is our O-Line really that bad?

Sure a win is great but that Cowboys team is no great shakes (especially with all their drug suspensions on D). It is not a great performance to start the year and if Williams had his head on straight we likely would have lost.

Eli arguably shouldn't have thrown the pick but the ball was out before he knew that Shep wasn't where he was supposed to be. It's high risk having a check-out throw like that but the Giants are putting it on the WR and not the QB.

I think you're being a bit harsh - Witton killed us as always and they were dinking and dunking it underneath but the Defense stood firm when it counted. Elliot won't have a tougher match all season, IMO, and Vernon & JPP got plenty of pressure on Prescott even if there weren't any sacks. The OL will have tougher tests but they did better than anyone could have hoped and the only sacks were where Eli held onto the ball for too long.

Apple and Thompson both looked great, DRC and Jenkins had Dez in their pockets, Collins looks a different player to last season.

If Williams gets out of bounds it is still almost certainly a win. Would have been a 67(?) yard field goal attempt considering the only route out of bounds he had was laterally from where he got the ball.

All valid points, but I do think the INT has to go 50% on Shepard. If it was Randle we'd be killing him.

The amount of holds the Dallas line got away with was honestly ridiculous, and that certainly impeded the sack numbers. Also Snacks had a clear sack but somehow thought Prescott had thrown the ball away, so just shoved him lightly so as to avoid a roughing the passer call. He realised too late that Dak had actually pump faked. Bad mistake, but understandable.

I think Spags and the D made some decent adjustments in 2nd half that allowed us to actually get our D into the game, but I am still worried about our ability to stop those passes underneath. TEs and slot receivers will still be our achilles. Kelvin Sheppard is far from a polished MLB. Thought Keenan Robinson did well in coverage in the 2nd half when called upon though, and when Darian Thompson started getting reps it was noticeable. Berhe is an absolute missile in run coverage, but he's not a free safety. Collins and our secondary in general were decent enough last night, I thought, and Jonathon Cassilas did quite well. We kept Dez to 8 yards, or something. Not to be sniffed at.

Willing to let the poor pass rush slide for the time being due to the standard of the Dallas OL, and also the holds. Man, I honestly can't get over those holds and how they weren't called. Absolutely blatant some of them.

Key takeaway for me: We kept Dallas to about 3.5 yards a carry last night, and averaged almost 5 yards ourselves. That's not to be sniffed at all.

Edit: Here's the stat line

Rashad Jennings 18 75 4.2
    Shane Vereen 6 38 6.3

Giants 24 113 4.7

Ezekiel Elliott 20 51 2.5
    Alfred Morris 7 35 5.0
    Dak Prescott 2 12 6.0
    Keith Smith 1 3 3.0

Cowboys 30 101 3.4

I was glad that Alfred Morris didn't get the ball more.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭tgdaly

I can see some of everyone's points here. Only saw the first 2 and a bit of the third quarter, but my opinion would be;

1. Defense looks much improved. I know it was a rookie qb and rb and it's definitely disappointing that we couldn't get any turnovers or sacks, but let's not forget that Dallas o-line is miles and away the best line in the league (the guys on commentary even went as far as to describe it as the best unit in the league) so sacks would always be hard to come by.

2. Running game looks a lot better. Definitely think Jennings should be the bell cow but Vereen still has a big part to play in the passing game.

3. Passing game will only get better as the year goes on. Cruz will get his sharpness back, Shepard will only grow, throw in Beckham, Donnell and Vereen out of the backfield and I think there are a lot of good weapons there. A lot will depend on the o-line. Didn't look that bad what I seen last night but definitely harder assignments ahead

Wasn't pretty to say the least but we are 2-0. Now for a week of obj/Norman nonsense

Must win game for Washington as well, next week.

Thought Eli played pretty well today, despite our struggles. Great to see Shepard step up. Was very impressed with our D as well.

We've given ourselves a decent platform to build from now.

A win is a win. It wasn't pretty but I think someone will get a pasting from this offense soon. Eli played well.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭derm0j073

I'm cautiously optimistic about this season after those first two games. We look fairly well organised both sides of the ball. We've looked good defending the red zone and Eli has plenty of options going forward. I'm not sold on our running game but all things considered I'm a happy man, after that pre season I wasn't expecting a 2-0 start.

Really need the win now next week to set us up for later in the year as we have 2 tough road trips against the Vikes & Pack after this. Also would give us a great leg up in the division race

• Advertisement

Not looking forward to the Vikings game at all, and Eli usually has a nightmare against them, for whatever reason.

Packers I think we could actually win. McAdoo surely has some great insight into them, you would think, and their offense is still looking very off. Rodgers could have easily have been intercepted multiple times last night.

Win two of the next three games, and you'd have to be very optimistic for the playoffs. Redskins will be bringing the heat, however, as its a must win game for them.

Just watched the Vikings game form last night and yeah that one will be tough. I think their corners can be got at, which is something, but their pass-rushers will be licking their lips at the thought of attack our OL.

Safety Thompson out for a few weeks after a knee injury yesterday

Oh thats a real shame, he looks like he could be very good. Himself & Collins could be a great safety tandem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Oh thats a real shame, he looks like he could be very good. Himself & Collins could be a great safety tandem

I agree. Collins is looking very good. Flowers footwork was quite decent for a change yesterday too. And when is Odell going to catch those easy TDs?

Janoris Jenkins is definitely my favourite free agent signing. We've not had a set of corners like this for a good while!

HigginsJ wrote: »

Different Thompson. It is Mykkele Thompson who is out for a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

How is Vernon looking?

He has looked good. Probably better defending the run than I was expecting. He doesn't stop working. Didn't get as much pressure on Brees though as he did on Dak the week before.

Tbh all of the big free agents have been great. I'm a bit in love with Snacks Harrison.

Damn. Collins gets the reigns loosened a bit when he's on the field, as they sit DT as the single high safety and allow Collins to blitz. Was great at it yesterday when called upon.

That'll hurt us a bit. At least Berhe seems to be doing decent, and he's a monster against the run, so hopefully we'll get by. Hopefully we get DT back by Green Bay.

• Advertisement

Somehow missed that it was Mykkel Thompson injured, not Darian! Harsh, but if you had to pick one to be injured, it would be Mykkel. Thankfully it doesn't look serious.

Advertisement