Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Giants O Line looking very weak against the Bills, cant get anything going at all on the ground. Not impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

I know it's the preseason but we are looking very very poor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    I know it's the preseason but we are looking very very poor

Kinda making the Bills look good. Run game looks bad, O Line looks loose and open. Lotta work to do for the Giants.

I'm having nightmares that the Oline will get Eli killed in the regular season

D looking poor too

Deayon is too small to make a roster

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I've just seen the Giants score. I've not seen a minute of the game. Knex is it the bills being very good or are the Giants having a disaster.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't recommend watching any of it

We are playing horrible

Getting beaten up on both sides of the ball

The only positive is Brad Wing which tells you how bad the rest are

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Imagine the worst performance we put in last year... Then double it.. Absolutely brutal

Real worry week 1 with Brown suspended too

Obarski not up to it

I can't believe that 28 yard FG miss

No idea who the kicker will be wk 1 now

First preseason shut out since 2001 coming up

• Advertisement

QB's go 6-21 for 69 yards..

Offense goes for a total of 166 yards

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Just finished watching the game. Positives are that the D played ok - two TDs came off of turnovers and the offense just wouldn't let the defense get a breather.

The tight ends and OL are terrible. I felt a little sorry for Nassib that he wasn't getting any protection at all. If we can't run the ball and can't protect the QB this will be a horrible season.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Watched the first quarter and a bit last night. Holy crap. It was like 2013 again, with Gilbride's offense not able to get anything going. No run game, insane pressure on the QB. Just brutal.

Not the most encouraging game to watch, to say the least.

Flowers looks like he can't handle the LT position at all. Newhouse is Newhouse. Larry Donnell had some of the most embarrassing attempts to block that I've seen from a TE in a while.

At least Donnell tried.... Tye didn't even think to try to block on the Nassibe fumble play.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    At least Donnell tried.... Tye didn't even think to try to block on the Nassibe fumble play.

I didn't get that far. Not sure I can force myself to go back and watch it either.

Mike Solari definitely has his work cut out to get the blocking in shape for two weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Hey guys,

Been a bit out of touch with the Giants for the past 2 months. Can someone give me a synopsis of training camp, pre-season and injuries to date.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Been a bit out of touch with the Giants for the past 2 months. Can someone give me a synopsis of training camp, pre-season and injuries to date.

Hope all is well man.

I'll get something written up either today or tomorrow.

Edit: Will be tomorrow.

Knex. wrote: »
    Hope all is well man.

I'll get something written up either today or tomorrow.

Edit: Will be tomorrow.

Thanks Knex, all is good.

Alrighty,

If the other gents want to add to anything I've said, or missed, it would be much appreciated!

I'll start with Ben McAdoo.

All reports from players and reporters are super positive about McAdoo. Aside from clocks being 5 mins ahead still, he's changed everything. Meetings are earlier and shorter. More time spent on fundamentals, music plays all the time, and he's geared a lot of his work towards the "millennials".

Huge focus on training smart, both on the field and in the weight room, as so far, Giants look as healthy as you can hope for.

Rookies

Eli Apple - Personal opinion after the Dolphins game and some training clips, but I think he's gonna be a stud. He's a baller. Flies around the place on special teams, physical at the line when playing outside, and seems to already have some great coverage skills. Its so ideal that he gets to break himself in slowly, taking reps off DRC, and not get thrown into the fire. In two years time I think we'll be very happy here.

He is putting a lot of effort into getting his hands sorted at the line, as he has a tendency to grab hold of the WR, which is fine in college but will get you flagged in the NFL. Picked a knee injury up in that first preseason game but he's fine again.

Sterling Sheppard - The hype train for this man is off the charts. He runs routes like a pro, and even when they ask OBJ about him, he can barely contain his excitement. He won on nearly every route in that 1st preseason game as well, and had an outstanding diving catch to boot. Nassib had a mare though which stopped him even getting targets, despite him killing CBs at the top of his route. I think he'll be a big contributor.

Darian Thompson - I'm wary of sounding too positive about the rookie class thus far, but he's come in and instantly commanded the FS starting berth. He knows football. McAdoo and Spags have said how he gets all his assignments right, and barks out orders to his teammates like a seasoned pro. Landon Collins has been big in praise for him, too. That said, he hasn't made any big plays thus far, in games or in practice, but he hasn't given up any either. He was a ballhawk in college so it'll be interesting to see how he develops.

BJ Goodson - not seen a whole pile of him, but the reports have been good. Apparently, when he tackles, he runs through you. Howard Cross, ex Giant TE, said that he doesn't even want to be near him when he tackles, let alone be the guy he hits. He'll likely get limited playing time but there's already talk of him being a starter by the end of the year. He's behind Brinkley, who played well for us last year, and Robinson (MLB picked up from Washington. He's great in coverage but not so good against the run. Injury prone too. The opposite to Brinkley)

Not seen enough from Perkins, the RB. He looks good in space and a few Giant players have tipped him to shine, but he's buried a bit on the depth chart.

Jerrell Adams, big TE, is seeing very limited snaps. Could end up on Practice Squad.

Key New Signings

Vernon - Holy **** what a stud. He destroys in practice, he's tearing it up in preseason, and he's commanded a leadership role already. Stays behind doing conditioning drills everyday, and JPP has started joining him for extra sprints etc. Looks the real deal.

Jenkins - He's what we knew, really. Good in man coverage, aggressive, has a big play and a mistake in him. He seems to really want to take on a big role for the Giants though. Nice to see himself and Vernon seem so motivated.

Snacks - He's instantly my favourite non Eli Giants. His background story is amazing. His work ethic is amazing, and you can't run the ball his direction. Himself and Hankins are a near on 700lbs wall of big blue. Historically he's had knee issues, that I didn't know about, but he says its the best he's felt in a while. He started preseason on PUP as a precaution, I believe.

Offensive Line

Been a bit of a crapshow the first two weeks in preseason. Ultimately, there's no depth at all, aside from Bobby Hart. Jerry looks improved to me, and he did a lot of work in the offseason that really impressed Richburg.

Newhouse is the same. Backup quality, really, but he's serviceable if Eli gets the ball out quick.

Not liking how Flowers is progressing at all, unfortunately. Still raw in his technique and I'm pegging him for a holding call every game, tbh.

Pass protection: Interior - Sold. Exterior - Weak.

We still can't run the ball.

Extra

Andre Wisdom - looks totally different. Took up martial arts, dropped a bunch of weight, and looks a lot more explosive to me. McAdoo seems impressed and he's right behind Jennings in the pecking order. Some people are dismayed by this, but I genuinely am a little optimistic by what I'm seeing. OL needs to help our RBs out more, though.

Roger Lewis - UDFA that fell due to rape allegations in college. He looks a player and I'd be shocked if he doesn't see a fair few snaps throughout the season. He gets his share of first team reps already.

Geremy Davis - WR drafted last year. Progressing solidly, and Giants like what they see. He's a big body, torso like a washing machine, kinda guy. Getting his fair share of 1st team reps too.

Cruz - A week ago I'd have said forget about him, but he's had two great days at practice, by all accounts, and will play v the Jets this weekend. Still not raising my hopes, but we'll know more Monday morning.

Owa - 2nd string DE and is in on Nascar packages. Has some explosive plays in him. Hopefully kicks on from his rookie year that was ruined with injury.

Jonathon Cassilas - Has had an oustanding camp and preseason as outside linebacker thus far. JT Thomas, who I really like, is only back from injury so may be a cut casualty considering his salary and not being able to practice thus far.

Ones to watch - Defensive Ends, Romeo Okwara and Stansly Maponga.

Thanks Knex, you have me all excited now. Delighted that Vernon is working so hard and that it is rubbing off on JPP. Will try to catch some of the Jets game now at the weekend.

I was reading that Josh Norman was spouting off about OBJ again, has he came out with anything in response?

• Advertisement

Thanks Knex, you have me all excited now. Delighted that Vernon is working so hard and that it is rubbing off on JPP. Will try to catch some of the Jets game now at the weekend.

I was reading that Josh Norman was spouting off about OBJ again, has he came out with anything in response?

Before training camp Beckham had responded to a journalist saying that he made Norman famous. That Norman needs him to be relevant. Not ideal, really.

Then Norman came out again this time and said something the other day, and when Beckham was quizzed on it, he just refused to answer. Said if there were any questions about Jennings charity work, or what Herzlich does for the community, he'd be happy to answer them. Lesson learnt, thankfully.

Just on Beckham, I've noticed that he's learnt a new move. He lines a CB up who's in off coverage and pulls this kinda triple move that involves dragging his leg and then exploding out of the break. Its phenomenal.

That man looks absolutely scary in camp this year. Every interview they ask him about his goals, and he just flatline answers, "Super Bowl 51".

Knex. wrote: »
    Before training camp Beckham had responded to a journalist saying that he made Norman famous. That Norman needs him to be relevant. Not ideal, really.

Then Norman came out again this time and said something the other day, and when Beckham was quizzed on it, he just refused to answer. Said if there were any questions about Jennings charity work, or what Herzlich does for the community, he'd be happy to answer them. Lesson learnt, thankfully.

Just on Beckham, I've noticed that he's learnt a new move. He lines a CB up who's in off coverage and pulls this kinda triple move that involves dragging his leg and then exploding out of the break. Its phenomenal.

That man looks absolutely scary in camp this year. Every interview they ask him about his goals, and he just flatline answers, "Super Bowl 51".

Great to hear. I was listening to First Take and even Kellerman was pointing out that OBJ burnt him in the game last year. Kellerman reckons that OBJ is now the one inside Norman's head. I really didn't like the crap about a hit being out on OBJ. **** like that really should bring some sort of ban or fine Norman's way.

Yeah, the league doesn't need another bounty gate type scandal. Odell is just too good, though. He definitely destroyed Norman last year.

Read a breakdown before and it had a 90% success rate for OBJ v Norman in that game. Closest receiver to him v Norman all year was Brown or Julio at about 55%, or something like that.

I know Beckham was really disappointed with how none of his team mates showed any fight or stood up for him in that Panthers game last year. Preston Parker in his rookie year was great for that. In that Rams game he was straight over to smack into the people who had the hit out on OBJ.

If there is a hit out on him in games this year, I hope the team shows more fight and has his back. Can't let it escalate to him spearing Norman's head either, though, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

Knex, you have got my hopes up again now. Didnt watch the Bills game after reading the comments about it

wawaman wrote: »
    Knex, you have got my hopes up again now. Didnt watch the Bills game after reading the comments about it

I'm normally a cynic as well!

I will say, I wouldn't be putting the house on a playoff appearance, or anything, but I definitely think that this team is trending up.

Our first team D in preseaon has actually looked impressive. Took the Dolphins to half way through the 2nd quarter to even get a first down. Similar to the OL, depth is the issue in places. I think with the D, however, there's so much youth there that there's good promise. The OL doesn't have that except for Bobby Hart.

If our D can improve to help us keep .50, or higher, through the first four games or so, then I think we've a great shot at the playoffs. The offense will be in sync by then, I imagine, and Odell and Eli will win games on their own, as we all know. Its about time that other people stepped up to the plate.

The first half of this Jets game will tell us a lot.

I didn't know Snacks had injury issues. Hasn't he played pretty much every game since he came into the League?

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I didn't know Snacks had injury issues. Hasn't he played pretty much every game since he came into the League?

Yeah, pretty much. He had some procedures done on his knee a few years back and it bothers him from time to time. Its manageable though.

https://twitter.com/JordanRaanan/status/760518797182861313?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
    The left knee that caused him trouble in recent days and over the past few years wasn’t a problem.

"This is probably the first practice with no pain in probably about two years," said Harrison, who signed a five-year, $46.25 million deal this offseason with the Giants after spending the first four years of his career with the Jets.

From here:

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/208586/giants-dt-damon-harrison-off-pup-list-feels-better-than-he-did-with-jets

So...... No Superbowl run then yea??

So...... No Superbowl run then yea??

Didn't get to see it last night, so will have to catch up tonight, hopefully. How did it go?

• Advertisement

It was hard to watch at times. The OL has massively regressed. Every time a running back got the ball there were two or more defenders in the backfield on top of them. The first team offense is a major concern right now.

Positive points were that the defense looks legit. The bulk of points conceded throughout preseason by the first team have been off of turnovers. JPP seems to be tackling much better than I thought he would be able to. King and Nassib both did really well for the first touchdown.

The Jets looked much the better team sadly.

Advertisement