Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

The following players are inactive tonight

Snyder, Odell Beckham Jr. (hamstring), Charles Brown (shoulder), James Brewer (back), Markus Kuhn (ankle), Kerry Wynn, Jay Bromley.

Disappointing that our 1st & 3rd round picks from this years draft won't feature.

It sounds like our o-line will be Beatty, Richburg, Walton, Jerry, Pugh. I may be mistaken but I am not sure that line has played together at any point in pre-season

Jon Beason will start at MLB with McClain & Williams joining him.

Larry Donnell will start at TE

How can we win tonight??

The 5 key players to my mind are DRC, Jaquain Williams, JPP, Rashad Jennings & John Jerry.

DRC will surely be tasked with covering Megatron for most of the game.

With Bush & Bell as good pass catchers out of the back field Williams is best equipped to cover them.

JPP can help out DRC by getting pressure on Stafford.

Jennings & Jerry need to have strong nights in the ground game to keep Eli from having to throw the ball more than 15-20 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I think Richburg getting a baptism of fire against Suh is up there, in terms of things to watch.

Don't envy the fella! :pac:

Also, if Prince is back at 100%, I would not be surprised to see Fewell putting him against Megatron on occasion, similar to last year, despite the noises about DRC being #1 from the Giants camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Could it of started any worse???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

going to be a long long season

terrible in all phases so far

LaMichael James released by the 49ers, we could do a lot worse than picking him up

• Advertisement

HigginsJ wrote: »
    LaMichael James released by the 49ers, we could do a lot worse than picking him up

Definitely. He asked to be released though, I think, so not sure what the situation was. Purely game time related?

Would be very happy to add him to what we have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Embarrassing display. Really need to get things going. Eli and the OL really need to get their act together. I'm not sure Eli is ever going to be a solid QB in any system. He's just such a liability on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

Regardless of what has gone on in the offseason i always think of the 1st game as a blank canvas and see what happens. But my god that was depressing. Same oul, same oul, cant defend deep, cant run and cant pass. I had hoped the new offense would at least look slightly better than last year

I'm probably in the minority, but I don't really think Eli is the issue. We just have nothing else going for us on offense, any QB would struggle, IMO.

Schwartz out for half the season, and Beckham being injured for a few weeks is depressing as well. We really need both, and even then, I think we're still an average to poor offense.

So many question marks, and bit part players, being asked to suddenly show something that they never have.

At least Donnell showed some promise, but aside from himself, Hankins and JPP, I can't think of anyone who came out of the game looking good.

The only thing we can hang our hat on at the moment is our run D. Everything else needs to improve, sharpish, or we are picking in the top 3 next year.

I don't even know where to begin.

Hankins had a stellar game & Donnell did pretty well. Aside from that I don't think any other player deserves credit.

Eli is just awful. He is clearly not communicating what he wants with the players (see the role out play to the right where Cruz & Randle spent 10 seconds blocking rather than trying to come open) He is being paid like a top flight QB but I would seriously take a lot of the better back-ups in the league ahead of him. Give me Hasselbeck, Sanchez, Hill or Henne and I'd be more confident

I don't know, we will be here in 6 weeks time at 1-5 and giving out and asking for changes in mid-season but we know it won't happen.

I don't see that JPP is worth a new contract as he can't seem to get QB pressure any more, nothing more than a run stuffing end now.

Beatty is due a cap hit of $5.5 million next year so I would look to move him on unless he turns things around dramatically.

Randle & Jernigan are wastes of a roster spot and Washington needs to be given a chance to stake a claim rather than carrying these 2 guys next year.

Prince has a near $7 million cap figure next year, he needs to take a paycut he is no way near a number 1 corner and we better not get notions of paying him like one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

JObS49f.gif?1

Facing Arizona on Sunday......... I shudder to think what will happen

Facing Arizona on Sunday......... I shudder to think what will happen

At least 2 INTs, for sure. Think our D will do a bit better, but would not be surprised to see us lose 21-7, or something similar.

all round bad play

laughable how open you leave Lions best player for 1st TD. also need to make that tackle on Stafford

worried about DRC ... that jam on inside to Johnson was so weak. he looked lost on a lot of their receivers

Blocked punts

dropped passes from Jennings, Cruz, Jernigan

rushers running free on QB

QB/Receivers never on same page

Another 2 INts

4 attempts to score from 1yd out

2-13 we give up 26 to TE who burns past our LB like he's not there

Missed tackle on Stafford at goal line

Tc has some job to try to get everybody up to scratch

Simplify the O and D and build from there

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Don't know where my false sense of optimism came from last week, I was completely wrong. offense was poor in pre-season but I just put that down to the fact that it was pre-season. There are no excuses at this stage, that busted roll-out play where the 2 wide receivers were both blocking instead of looking for the pass was just embarrassing. The wide receivers also didn't seem to understand the hand signals Eli was using to audible at the line. Running game got stuffed both Jennings and Williams didn't look good. O-line couldn't block anything really to be honest. And I'm the biggest Eli defender going but even though he didn't get much help at times, when he did get good blocking he still flat out missed some throws that a back-up should make. Defense was ok against the run, couldn't rush the passer or cover but who can cover Megaton anyways? The D should get better and I see a lot of teams struggling against that lions offense anyways, they were impressive

tgdaly wrote: »
    Don't know where my false sense of optimism came from last week, I was completely wrong. offense was poor in pre-season but I just put that down to the fact that it was pre-season.

There are no excuses at this stage, that busted roll-out play where the 2 wide receivers were both blocking instead of looking for the pass was just embarrassing.

I really found it hard to be optimistic but held out a small bit of hope, we really were dreadful & if the Lions hadn't committed so many penalties they would have completely blown us out.

That play you mention was just awful, the lack of communication on so many plays astounded me really.

Our best player has torn ankle ligaments after Monday night. No word yet on if or how many games he will miss

:(

Our best player has torn ankle ligaments after Monday night. No word yet on if or how many games he will miss

:(

That's a huge part of our offense gone.

Swift recovery, Stevie.

Also, an image of what Eli gets to view:

BxLh82hIUAAyIgl.jpg

6 blocking 4 rushers, and he's still about to get pummeled with nobody free.

This is surprising.

http://www.bigblueview.com/giants-vs-cardinals-2014-game-time-nfl-schedule-week-2-news-preview-recap/2014/9/10/6132043/eli-manning-ny-giants-rumors-news-analysis-detroit-lions-arizona-cardinals-pro-football-focus-grade

Extract:
    The raw numbers for Manning are, indeed, unbecoming:

18-of-33 for 163 yards, a 54.5 percent completion rate.
    Two interceptions
    A passer rating of 53.0
    So then, how did Pro Football Focus give Manning a grade of +1.2, including +1.1 in the passing game? That grade, incidentally, was tied with for the fifth-best grade given out by PFF for a quarterback in Week 1. Let's look deeper and find out the reason for the solid grade. PFF has helped us out here with an 'Outside The Box' piece on Manning's play, in which PFF's Steve Palazzolo writes "his performance wasn't as bad as his 4.9 yards per attempt and 53.0 passer rating would indicate."

The Giants dropped four passes Monday night. Only Philip Rivers of the San Diego Chargers (seven) and Joe Flacco of the Baltimore Ravens (nine) saw more passes dropped. Flacco, incidentally, threw 62 times. Manning, per PFF, lost 40 yards in completions thanks to those drops, third-most of any QB in Week 1.

Thanks to the pressure he was constantly under, and the struggles of receivers to get open, Manning threw away two passes. Only Robert Griffin III of the Washington Redskins (four) and Derek Carr of the Oakland Raiders (three) were forced to throw the ball away more often.

• Advertisement

Out -- Odell Beckham Jr. (hamstring), James Brewer (back), Markus Kuhn (ankle), Devon Kennard (hamstring)

Questionable -- Weatherford (ankle)

Probable -- Jon Beason (foot)

Don't expect to see OBJ next week either. Hopefully Weatherford is ok to go.

Pity about Kennard as well

Palmer out for the game later, Drew Stanton is starting!

Big news, that. Should give us a big boost, although if Stanton outperforms Eli (its likely), the knives will be more out than ever before.

Knex. wrote: »
    Palmer out for the game later, Drew Stanton is starting!

Big news, that. Should give us a big boost, although if Stanton outperforms Eli (its likely), the knives will be more out than ever before.

Yea 5 of our wins last year came against Josh Freeman (1st start for Vikes) Matt Barkley, Scott Tolzien, Terelle Pryor & Kirk Cousins. You'll notice none of those players are NFL starters this year. I am sure we will take advantage of Stanton as well!!

A good start and then another bloody interception.

tgdaly wrote: »
    A good start and then another bloody interception.

Think it hit off an OL'man's shoulder pad. Ball was going to Cruz in the slot, too.

Sickening, though. The OL just crumbled, as well. Horrible stuff.

Penalties are killing us on D as well

Not sure how we have lost this game. Killed ourselves, really.

Yeah, some encouraging signs, but holy shit, do we make some dumb ass, frustrating errors at times.

Eli and Donnell have stepped up, WR's need to do the same now. Not good enough at crucial moments. Separation improved, but still not great. Some of the drops are terrible.

i can't figure out how Quinn still has his job

Year after year we get killed on STs.

Too many big returns against us and our retuns are pathetic

• Advertisement

Texans at home next week.

An absolute must win game.

Advertisement