Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

One thing I will be interested in on Week 1; Prince or DRC to line up on Megatron.

Obviously we won't keep it 1 on 1, and Fewell likes zonal coverage anyway (although I do think we'll see more man and press), but after Coughlin's comments about DRC it'll be interesting to see if he shadows him.

Personally, I think Prince would be better suited to the bigger guys, and he did a decent job as far as I can remember when lined up against him on snaps last year.

Anyway, that's ages away and a lot can happen before then.

Looking at that schedule again, and considering we have to learn a new playbook and embed many new players, that's not good.

3 Divisional away games leading up to the bye, and then we have Colts, 'Hawks, 9'ers and Cowbows right after.

We also have no idea what Houston and Falcons will be like, and Arizona are on the up after a great year last time round, too. Looking at that stretch we really need to be in the plus hitting that bye, perhaps even 5-2, and I'm not sure we can do that.

As I said, learning a new offence and bedding in new players, so was hoping we'd nearly get the tough games out of the way at the start, and then learn from there and build our momentum.

However, if we can hit the bye at 4-3, or by some stroke of luck 5-2. then we can perhaps afford to go 1-3 after the bye, before rolling on with the last five games, all of which are very winnable.

I'll reassess after the Draft, but 8-8 or 9-7 will be my expectation for the season as things stand. And that is perhaps being optimistic :pac:

Will most likely need 10-6 though for either the division or Wild Card spot. Certainly, we need to start well if we have any chance, and circumstances make that tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭wawaman

We can't start any worse than last year! So any win is a bonus. This has to be a make or break year for coughlin and reese I would imagine

wawaman wrote: »
    We can't start any worse than last year! So any win is a bonus. This has to be a make or break year for coughlin and reese I would imagine

Could add Eli and a few others to that list too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

not easy but i don't mind our schedule

@Detroit where we won last year
    2 homes games v dome teams
    division game anything can happen
    dome team at home
    dome team at home and reunion with Nicks
    champions away
    49ers are tough but last time we played them we gave them a whooping
    surely a home win vs jags
    titans is a game we should target a W in
    away to rams who will be hugely improved with all picks they got

• Advertisement

Watching Washington @ Green Bay (Week 2) from last season.

For anyone interested, opening drive was as follows:

Play action over the middle (dropped pass by Nelson)
    Bubble screen to Cobb (4 yards) from Y Trips
    No huddle 3rd & 6 - Draw 'Skins offside.
    3rd & 1 - Play action from I Formation. Cobb 21 yards.

1&10 WR Screen to Jones. Shotgun draw, Y Trips again
    2&short Draw play - Lacy 10 yards rushing (sickening hit from Meriweather..no surprise here)

1&10 Smoke screen to Jones again - 9 yards
    2&1 Starks gains 1

1&10 holding call.
    1&20 Quick short out route to Cobb. Takes it for a TD but called for stepping out of bounds.
    2&3 2 yard rush
    3&1 Curl flat to Jones - 10 yards

Inside Washington 10
    1&10 (Gun) Sacked
    2&18 (Gun) Sacked
    3&24 (Gun) Short stick pass to Finley (Not sure how to describe these as they look like screens. You see Denver do a lot of them)

Anyway, not very concise with the above but you get the picture. Biggest thing that stands out, for me, is the pass first mentality, and the high percentage of screens or short stick routes that rely on yards after catch. Also, Green Bay have always favoured a more 'Spread' type offence, but there was perhaps two snaps at most where they didn't have 3 wide receivers on the field, alongside Finley in TE.

We all knew McAdoo was going to want to boost the screens game, which would basically mean create one, because we sure as hell haven't had one for as long as I can remember. But I do feel this is a massive change.

Can't imagine Coughlin allowing McAdoo break too far away from the run game, though.

Be very interesting to see how Eli adapts to this and also if our OL can put up with the pressure they'll get. You can see with the sacks above in the Red Zone that not having the TE blocking or having the Full Back on the field hurt them, a little, as Rodgers didn't have the time to throw, and couldn't get out of the pocket to scramble either. (Eli won't be scrambling, full stop. If he can get back to avoiding pressure in the pocket though, we'll all be delighted).

Just to quickly touch base on the WR packages they play, Cobb in the slot was able to get open a bit as Jones and Nelson took attention on the outside. I imagine this will pan out as the game goes on too. We need Randle to step it up, but still not convinced he can be a #1 WR. Would love to get a 2011 Nicks to take that attention of Cruz and allow him to get free.

Personnel right now has me slightly worried about the adapting required, but I do like where we are headed.

Anyway, a Saturday morning ramble. Makes sense of it if you will :p

Yeah, following up on the Cobb/Cruz thing. First TD of the game came from 4&3 in the Red Zone, spread formation Empty Gun, and Cobb gets free in the slot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Giants sign.... Rusty Smith..

Perennial practice squad guy for the Titans...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Giants sign.... Rusty Smith..

Perennial practice squad guy for the Titans...

What the fuck.

Why? Surely Freeman, Nassib and Painter can battle it out for #2 and #3.

Weird.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yeah seems odd, maybe he's going to the giants Ps..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Yeah seems odd, maybe he's going to the giants Ps..

Doubt he has eligibility left

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Doubt he has eligibility left

he's only been active for a few games so still eligible id say

Keno wrote: »
    What the fuck.

Why? Surely Freeman, Nassib and Painter can battle it out for #2 and #3.

Weird.

both painter and eli injured

just another body to take few reps

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    both painter and eli injured

just another body to take few reps

Ah, didn't know Painter was out.

lots of articles about Martin to giants at 12

thoughts?

thoughts?

Zack Martin? I hope not, spending another 1st round pick on a guy who can't play LT would be stupid IMO.

I have read a few reports that are saying to forget about Eric Ebron. We bafflingly have no interest in him.

Again a week before the draft this could all be nothing but noise, no-one had us taking Justin Pugh last year

thoughts?

Zach Martin? I know our OL was in rag orders last year, but I really want a big body receiver/tight end if we can get them at 12. If not, Donald would really add to what we have on D, and help solidify it as a Top 10 defence.

A lot will probably depend on what goes before us, I suppose. If a lot of OL'men go in the first 11 picks, similar to last season, you may see us go for someone like Martin then, before the quality gets too diluted.

Also, hearing talk of potential trade if say, only 1 QB is taken by pick 12 (meaning most from the Jags, Texans, Browns, Raiders, Vikings and Buccs will still need one). Couple of teams might be interested in getting in ahead of the Rams, and the rest of the pack, to pick up Bridgewater, Carr or Bortles.

I wouldn't be against that, really. 49'ers have a lot of picks, but they'll be looking WR, and it would probably annoy me to see us trade with them and have them take somebody that I would really want for us, such as Beckham Jnr - Even if we could do with the extra picks.

I can't wait for Draft Day, at this stage.

Zack Martin? I hope not, spending another 1st round pick on a guy who can't play LT would be stupid IMO.

I have read a few reports that are saying to forget about Eric Ebron. We bafflingly have no interest in him.

Again a week before the draft this could all be nothing but noise, no-one had us taking Justin Pugh last year

Just seeing this after my post.

Definitely agree on Martin, and that's with me only finding out now that he can't play LT! At 12 it seems like such a reach.

Yeah, a lot has cooled on the Ebron talk, which is a shame, but a lot of mocks have him gone before our pick ever comes around, anyway, so perhaps that is contributing?

XGF8NXF.jpg

• Advertisement

Looking forward to the next few nights now.

Want us to come out of the draft with a TE, WR and a DE. I'm easy going on on how we use our other 4 picks

I had a dream last night that Schwartz sucked for us. I wouldn't mind an OL addition after that. We really have to many questions marks all over this team, don't we? My mind changes everytime I think about it.

Knex. wrote: »
    I had a dream last night that Schwartz sucked for us. I wouldn't mind an OL addition after that. We really have to many questions marks all over this team, don't we? My mind changes everytime I think about it.

As long as we don't spend our 1st rounder on OL I don't mind

It seems to be either Martin or Ebron going to us. Hoping for Ebron.

would prefer OL to TE at 12

We have Beatme injured, starting C is injury waiting to happen and we don't know what we will get from Snee

there is value to be had in 2nd + round at TE

Not staying up for draft

Plan is to sky box it and avoid media until i can watch it tomorrow night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

What a great pick. Would of liked a WR but never thought it would happen. Now we need a tight end in the 2nd now and a DT/LB in the 3rd.

Couple of points coming from Reese.

Beckham was ranked somewhere between 6-10 in their best players in the Draft.
    He's considered an outside receiver, and from what I gather they intend to put Cruz back in the slot (Great news)
    He could well be #1 Kick and Punt returner. Reese is happy to have options with Holiday and Demps etc, but seems he won't mind cutting if Beckham Jnr wins the job.

Coughlin loves how smart and professional he is, and both himself and Reese think that Beckham is almost 'pro ready'. They expect him to get up to speed quickly and be able to contribute from the off.

Vibe is that they genuinely believe he can be a Number 1 receiver and a stud wide out for the Giants. They all seem delighted with the pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Knex. wrote: »
    Couple of points coming from Reese.

Beckham was ranked somewhere between 6-10 in their best players in the Draft.
    He's considered an outside receiver, and from what I gather they intend to put Cruz back in the slot (Great news)
    He could well be #1 Kick and Punt oreturner. Reese is happy to have options with Holiday and Demps etc, but seems he won't mind cutting if Beckham Jnr wins the job.

Coughlin loves how smart and professional he is, and both himself and Reese think that Beckham is almost 'pro ready'. They expect him to get up to speed quickly and be able to contribute from the off.

Vibe is that they genuinely believe he can be a Number 1 receiver and a stud wide out for the Giants. They all seem delighted with the pick.

Hey Knex think ye got a star in Beckham, like i said in the draft thread, i was hoping the Eagles might get him as in a decent offense i expect him to do big things, draft a QB tonight to find him and your sorted ;)

Hey Knex think ye got a star in Beckham, like i said in the draft thread, i was hoping the Eagles might get him as in a decent offense i expect him to do big things, draft a QB tonight to find him and your sorted ;)

Draft a QB tonight, and I'll break things :pac:

Tight End, someone like Troy Niklas, or an OL addition, and I'll be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Watching our OL against Chris Long, Robert Quinn, Michael Brockers and Aaron Donald won't be fun.

Advertisement