Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Red Crow wrote: »
    Picks are out:

1st Round - 12th
    2nd Round - 43rd
    3rd Round - 74th
    4th Round - 113th
    5th Round - 152nd
    5th Round - 174th - Compensatory Pick
    6th Round - 187th

I thought we would of had a 7th but I guess Louis Murphy was too good :pac:

The extra 5th will def be handy. Beason for that 7th rounder is a lovely bit of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭wawaman

Former bear Zach bowman was signed today

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

wawaman wrote: »

Another CB. Be interesting to see how camp goes and if he can make the roster.

Any chance of getting NaVorro to join him next? :pac:

Mike Patterson, on the other hand, has resigned.

I like that, as we certainly need the depth in the Dline, and it might free Jenkins up to cover LDE when needed in run game, etc.

Knex. wrote: »
    Another CB. Be interesting to see how camp goes and if he can make the roster.

Any chance of getting NaVorro to join him next? :pac:

It will probably be the strongest defensive backfield we have fielded since I started supporting the Giants. Safety was already a huge strength & now with Amukamara, DRC, Thurmond, McBride, Hosley & Bowman looks to be a strong deep group. It's a slight shame as I highly rated a few of the CB's in the mid round range of this draft but it is one position completely off the board now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

wawaman wrote: »

Solid signing. Strong in man coverage and decent special teams' option too.

Filled in well for Tillman last year.

Another name added to the defense ! http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000338909/article/robert-ayers-signs-contract-with-new-york-giants

Just the offense to work on now !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭boccy23

For a man that never went in for a lot of Free Agency and hung his hat on the draft, Gerry Reese has certainly done a 180 this spring.
    Under serious pressure.
    A bad draft and a bad season in 2014 could see Gerry on the way out.
    What happens to Coughlin?

Apparently we signed former saints tackle, Charles Brown, for a bit of depth too.

Suppose we'll see how he gets on in training camp. He's a swing tackle, so can cover for Pugh and Beatty if he makes the roster. I'd assume that he will, despite some poor words from Payton about him. He got dropped from LT towards end of last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

OLB, DT and TE in the draft and I'll be happy. It's obvious that we'll take a C at some point and maybe a WR in the 4th or 5th.

• Advertisement

Best thing about this FA period, we've set ourselves up to take the best player on the board now.

For example, if for some strange reason and strike of luck, Mack, or Watkins, or Evans, etc, are still on the boards, I think we take them.

I'm nervous about taking Eric Ebron at 12, tbh. Haven't seen enough of him, so in no position to say, but it does seem high for a Tight End that reportedly can't really block. We got that trait with a high draft pick on Wilson already.

The Wilson pick was a disaster anyway. We probably wanted Doug Martin and when he went off the board just before we got our chance I'd say Reese had to go for his second back on the board. Wilson had fumbling issues in college and he'll be out of the league next year if he can't protect the ball. He's a bust IMO.

Ebron is different in that he is the première tight end of the draft. There is really nobody left after him with that skill set. I wouldn't even be convinced by Jace Amaro either even if he fell into the 3rd.

Initial thoughts on Ebron at 12, yay or nay?

In isolation, now I mean. I know its not practical saying don't think about other round picks or who is off the board before we choose, just basically, does his skill set match the 12th overall pick value.

He's a top 10 talent and I hope we take him. If not I'd like to see us go LB or DT. But we need to take a TE.

I'd agree with Red Crow. He is just too good to pass on if he is there. Eli will have never had a TE of his caliber

Cheers fellas.

I now have visions of Jimmy Graham style performances, minus the playoff chokes :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Just signed TE Kellen Davis to a 1yr deal.

Just signed TE Kellen Davis to a 1yr deal.

Solid blocker but not real a receiving weapon. We were bound to sign a vet as we only have Donnell & Robinson on the roster

Not the worst fella to bring in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Brown gone to the Texans. Crap.

I guess he was gone when Jennings signed.

• Advertisement

Keno wrote: »
    Brown gone to the Texans. Crap.

I guess he was gone when Jennings signed.

Yeah, he's just not healthy enough, tbh. I felt he lost some of his speed (he was extremely quick when he first came on the scene) last year too.

Wish him all the best, except against us, but I'm not surprised by this at all, really.

Yeah, he's just not healthy enough, tbh. I felt he lost some of his speed (he was extremely quick when he first came on the scene) last year too.

Wish him all the best, except against us, but I'm not surprised by this at all, really.

Are we still in the market for a running back?

Jennings could be solid but I will remain sceptical for now. No one knows on Wilson. Hillis is a solid pair of hands but doubt he will bounce back to Madden cover form all of a sudden. Michael Cox looks like another wasted late round pick.

If Wilson was at his best it cud be a good group, if not its very underwhelming

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Are we still in the market for a running back?

Jennings could be solid but I will remain sceptical for now. No one knows on Wilson. Hillis is a solid pair of hands but doubt he will bounce back to Madden cover form all of a sudden. Michael Cox looks like another wasted late round pick.

If Wilson was at his best it cud be a good group, if not its very underwhelming

I really don't think that we are. If Reese thinks he'll get good value in the Draft at some stage, he may pull the trigger for one, but other than that, if all goes well in training camp, I feel these are our three.

Jennings and Hillis should get 1000 yards, if healthy. Now, we certainly need more than that, so a lot will come down to whether Wilson can produce or not.

Not ideal, but we've so many holes to fill, we can't do it all in one go, unfortunately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

we have allot of new signings going into next season. who should we take in the draft. what position. WR, OL?

we have allot of new signings going into next season. who should we take in the draft. what position. WR, OL?

Good god not OL (at least not in the 1st 2 rounds) We need to go some combo of WR, TE & LB in the 1st 2 rounds.

Eric Ebron & Jordan Matthews, ,Mike Evans & Kyle Van Noy or CJ Mosley & Austin Seferian-Jenkins would be a nice pairings to come out of the 1st 2 rounds with.

1st pick will depend on who's on the board, I feel.

Most likely, Evans and Watkins, the two main WRs will be gone, but if not we may go for them.

Then, its probably Eric Ebron, the TE, as we virtually have no playmaking TE at the moment. Robinson is a complete unknown there, and Keller is a blocking TE.

If not him, I could see us going DT with Donald, as he would allow us to get serious inside pressure, but I feel Giants would be happier if they could get someone on offense first.

Overall, I think we should be looking at TE, DT, WR, DE, OL (center or guard), and OLB.

Those 6 are probably our areas most in need of numbers and quality. I honestly don't know how best to rank them in importance, however, and that for me is probably the most worrying aspect.

This team has so many unknowns.

Edit: Couldn't believe in the mock draft someone predicted a corner in the first round. The area we least need someone. We're absolutely stacked in secondary for the first time in years. :D

Edit: Couldn't believe in the mock draft someone predicted a corner in the first round. The area we least need someone. We're absolutely stacked in secondary for the first time in years. :D

:confused: utterly bizarre choice, had it been 2 months ago there would have been some logic to it but not after signing 3 experienced CB's & having 2 of our starting corners back from last year. We are 5 deep at corner before going to Hosley & James who both have playing time under there belts with us

The Giants pre season schedule has been announced. The regular season schedule should be out in the next 2 weeks.
    Aug. 3: vs. Buffalo Bills (NBC, 8 p.m.)*
    Week 1: Pittsburgh Steelers
    Week 2: at Indianapolis Colts
    Week 3: at New York Jets
    Aug. 28: New England Patriots

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2024642-eli-manning-injury-updates-on-giants-qbs-ankle-and-recovery

Eli to have surgery & will be out for 6 weeks. I like the fact that they mention (twice) that Eli should be back running in 6 weeks, we all know how much Eli loves running!!

• Advertisement

He'll be back just in time for OTA's, yeah?

Hope so anyway. Don't want another season with starters missing out.

Edit: What am I saying, he'll be back well before then :D

Advertisement