Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

Looks like Gettleman is staying too

Oh FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

tgdaly wrote: »
    Jaysus we did our best to blow it there at the end with the fumble.

I think no matter the result tonight, I'm more positive about this team than I have been in years. The way we have fought back after a bad start to the season has impressed me.

The coaching has been good and looks like we may have our HC for a few years now. My opinion of the GM hasn't changed still needs to go.

The emergence of the defence as a top 10 unit has been a welcome surprise, and redzone d has been particularly impressive. The re-emergence of Leanord Williams typifies our effort.

Still a few qs on offence but I'm happy enough to give Jones one more season before we write him off completely. He's at least shown some improvement this season not turning the ball over, and he had the injury and no off-season either which I think shouldn't be ignored.

Assuming Washington win tonight, our draft number should hopefully put us in a good position to take one of the best WRs, which I think is where we should go. O-line also needs work but hope we don't throw more picks at it. Maybe target there in free agency, Solder might come back next year also for some depth. Add in Saquon and who knows

I know little of the GM other than everyone wanting him gone!
    I also know little of how NFL franchises work (Managing salary cap, trading, draft picks, free agencies etc) but im intrigued enough to do a bit of reading up on Gettlmen there to figure out why he as a GM gets so much flak.

https://www.si.com/nfl/giants/news/weighing-the-good-and-the-bad-of-general-manager-dave-gettlemans-tenure

Is this article a fair reflection of whats gone right and wrong at the Giants?

& im still unsure if the GM pick the head coach & what is their role when it comes to draft picks?

Sorry for all the q's but would like to know the GM influence v's Head coach influence

Sorry for all the q's but would like to know the GM influence v's Head coach influence

I suppose to put it in very simple terms (it is more complex than this) - The GM builds the roster through FA and the draft and while the HC does have input in roster building, his job is to get the best out of the roster he has been dealt by the GM.

So in Gettlemans case, last years FA class was a success. But his record of drafting and FA in other years leaves alot to be desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭boccy23

First time in years I'm pissed off that there is no game next week.

Normally at this time of the year, I'm happy for the hurt to be finally over.

Very positive about last years draft, Thomas can be ok, X looks like a player, the O-line is better, the LBs can contribute. The FA period speaks for itself.

What we do with the O-line next year, what we do at TE, where are we getting a WR1, who will be CB2, can we find an Edge and most pertinently, do we have our QB1. All of these will occupy us in the coming months. But it is great to be looking forward positively.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

boccy23 wrote: »
    First time in years I'm pissed off that there is no game next week.

Normally at this time of the year, I'm happy for the hurt to be finally over.

Very positive about last years draft, Thomas can be ok, X looks like a player, the O-line is better, the LBs can contribute. The FA period speaks for itself.

What we do with the O-line next year, what we do at TE, where are we getting a WR1, who will be CB2, can we find an Edge and most pertinently, do we have our QB1. All of these will occupy us in the coming months. But it is great to be looking forward positively.

An x reciever in free agency and someone like patrick surtain in the draft and I think ye are by some way favourites for the division next year

• Advertisement

The chargers have requested an interview with Garrett for the HC job. Reports the jets have asked to speak to Patrick Graham for their vacancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Ha I can't see Garrett getting the job

He's lucky to keep our one

Patrick Graham should be a very active candidate

Patrick Graham has signed a contract for 2021 and ruled himself out of the HC merry go round. Thats a win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

wawaman wrote: »
    Patrick Graham has signed a contract for 2021 and ruled himself out of the HC merry go round. Thats a win.

Great news. He did well with what he had.

Not a fan of keeping Garrett. Yeah we didn't have Barkley but the offence was very vanilla. Gettleman probably should have gone too.

The giants plan on tagging Leonard Williams with both sides hopeful of working out a long term deal. I would imagine they will now because they will want to reduce the cap hit of $19m that the tag would count against the cap this year.

• Advertisement

Williams will demand big money

Be interesting to see what figure he ends up costing us

Giants release Zeitler

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Was a couple of days ago I think, but Tate also released

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭boccy23

We don't have a high value QB, Saquon is still on his rookie deal, we have no high value FAs as such and yet we are in Cap hell.

Looking at Overthecap.com, we have Williams counting as $19.3M, Bradberry $17.25M, the obvious cut of Solder to save a mere $6M ($10M Dead money) and Blake counting $10.25M.

Basically, we cannot sign any high level FAs. Mid level at best and even then, we would have to structure accordingly.

So we inevitably lost Tomlinson to the Vikings

Funny we do a great job ofvdeveloping DT for the vikings having lost Linval Joseph to them few years ago

Seems strange giving $6m for back up RB Devontae Booker

Leonard Williams signed for $63m for 3 years

John Ross WR 1 Yr $2.5m

Very underwhelming so far

Giants, Nate Solder reach deal on restructured contract, per reports
    Deal will save Giants $6 million in 2021 cap space

Giants sign defensive end, Ifeadi Odenigbo former Viking

Odenigbo, who will be 27 next season, had 3.5 sacks for the Vikings in 2020 and 7.5 sacks in 2019

1 year $2.5m

Interesting move

Giants sign TE Kyle Rudolph

2 years up to $14m

• Advertisement

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Interesting move

Giants sign TE Kyle Rudolph

2 years up to $14m

Engrams $6m for this year just became fully guaranteed earlier this week aswell, so really interesting

Giants sign linebacker Reggie Ragland

Veteran minimum

This doesn't sound good though

Ragland has the worst Pro Football Focus grade (48.0) and passer-rating against (106.2), but he did post a career-high 17 quarterback pressures

Adoree Jackson is due to visit the Giants in the next few days. If he and Golladay were signed that would be a massive boost

Giants checking in to the Hotel Motel Golladay Inn

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1373359418914570245?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Golladay deal done.. 4 years for 72 mill with 40 mill guaranteed

Ah brilliant that we got the Golladay deal done. Decent free agency all round I think? If we can back it up with a good draft now we should be in a great position to be competitive this year

Definitely getting some weapons for Jones

No excuses for him now

tgdaly wrote: »
    Ah brilliant that we got the Golladay deal done. Decent free agency all round I think? If we can back it up with a good draft now we should be in a great position to be competitive this year

Where do we go in the draft? Before FA all the talk was of Pitt’s at TE or a WR. Can’t see us adding another TE or a WR now.

wawaman wrote: »
    Where do we go in the draft? Before FA all the talk was of Pitt’s at TE or a WR. Can’t see us adding another TE or a WR now.

Hard to know, we might just go best O-line or defensive player available now

• Advertisement

I'd still add Devonte Smith if he fell

Waddle not really

Can now see us Oline or Edge though

Advertisement