Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could have told your past self something what would it be

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

forget family obligations and don't get on that plane and follow your heart. so what if she's out on a date with some guy call her again anyway even if you are on the other side of the world, read between the lines dumb ass

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

Don't buy a house in 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭boomtown123

Stop being sooo nice! Not everyone is as nice! It leads to more disappointment in life than you ever expected. and Stop worrying what other people think!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Go into the hospital RIGHT NOW and tell them that they haven't cured your cancer and it'll start growing on your lower spine in 5 years....... :(

But looking at the big picture now im alive and well at 27 so thats all that matters :D

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

It might take you a while to realise it but,some people just aren't worth it.

And, Time heals all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Here are the extra 2 or 3 numbers you need for the Euromillions jackpot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Note to self 8 years ago:

When you go back to Ireland, no matter how much you love living back home, being near family and meeting new friends that are just like you. You and your wife are going to be quite successful - all your eggs are going to hatch. :D

But please, no matter whatever anyone says, no matter how much you want to settle down with your family, DON'T and I'm going to repeat this again, DON'T buy a house! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

To go back to my 18 or even 14yr old self....SAVE that €20 or even a €5 ANYTHING a feicin week out of yer wages! >.<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    To go back to my 18 or even 14yr old self....SAVE that €20 or even a €5 ANYTHING a feicin week out of yer wages! >.<

I'm still wishing that my current 26 year old self had the cop on to do that. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

I'm still wishing that my current 26 year old self had the cop on to do that. :o

Apparently some folks our age are already saving for their pension...... :eek:

Hopefully we won't be answering a similar thread in 40 years time saying "Wish I'd started saving when I was 26!!" :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

deal with your past.... Listen to your friends! they are right...

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Wester

You're going to have to wait until you're 36 before it all starts to come together and it will only happen slowly. But persist because when it starts to pay off..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 GeoJr

stop spinning your wheels she will break your heart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Listen your mam, she's talking sense!

I stopped myself going down a career path that in hindsight I really wanted, due to the fact that at the time going to college and getting a nice well paid job as an exec was standard. World was my oyster.

If I could talk to myself then, I would say chase the dream and go for the job that I would of been happy in as opposed to chasing money.

Also enjoy your friends and free time as much as possible, both of these things will be in short supply as you get older. Never enough time, friends emigrate!

Final words of advice, teenage love / lust is all well and good but don't let that one get the claws in! Go spread your wild oats into the wind while you can!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭chickendinner

I would tell my younger self that 78% of child abusers were once
    the victim of child abuse themselves.

Then I would lock the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Porkpie wrote: »
    Yes, except TLL got it arseways - you're not talking to your future self, duh!

Er, no, actually. The point of that thread was if you were a teen and could tell your future self something, what would it be?

Whoosh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Just because he says it, doesnt mean he means it.
    And don't let that dumb wit walk all over you and for the love of jebus dont lend that wanker money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Feel the fear and do it anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

Hmmmmm that eating crap + being lazy = wobbly tatum kelly

If I'd copped on to that as a teen, I wouldn't have had to drown the gym in sweat to get healthy. :rolleyes:

Better late than never though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Neonjack

You love her. She loves you. You're having a huge row. Never forget that ye're on the same side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

To 16 yo johnr1:

1. Ignore what your parents want you to do, decide what you'd like to do in life, go to college and GET A PROPER CAREER. Self employed in Construction does not = a career.:mad:

2. Travel - properly, not holidays. Live in different countries and cultures.

3. You're going to be 'older' before you meet 'her' so enjoy yourself, and don't panic and try to settle down sooner. It'll end badly :o

4. Read more, educate yourself about people, opinions, everyone does not think the same as you do,- they may even be right sometimes. :eek:

5. There's a party, parties are great, but watch out for when the party's over, and go home, there'll be plenty more.
    Booze doesent make you a more interesting happy person, that's an illusion, you're interesting, attractive, and happy enough without it. :cool:

6. Do the fcuking paperwork. And the tax returns. You can't win that one.:(

7. Dance, sing, act, - they'll bring you happiness.*

*at least I did that one. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Strangely I had a dream once that I did go back to my fifteen year old self. But I told him nothing, except that it will all work out. I was lying, I condemmed the poor kid to spend years trying to be something he never could be and wasting most of his life and money on chasing a career he should never have considered.

It was quite a vivid dream and when I woke up I almost felt like I had gone back in time. I wondered why I told him nothing until I figured out that it was a message that if I had changed anything in my life. I would probably never have the two kids I have now. I wouldn't want to lose them. Also it's saying, stop with the regrets. Move on, tomorrow, as they saying goes is the start of the rest of your life.

On the other hand, if my life hadn't worked out the way it did and I was living in a hostel with a drink problem. I would tell the 15 year old to go to college, art school maybe. But also to do what deep down he knows he wanted all along. Forget about all the other stuff. It's just fantasy.

It'll be tough but worth it in the end and I would have been happier.

Plus here are the lottery numbers for last week and the racing results for one day every year just to keep you going. Don't bother getting any job, they were all rubbish and soul destroying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

This week's Lotto numbers are...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Create facebook. And twitter. And Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Ffs study for the Leaving Cert! And keep up the swimming. Also, keep friendships alive, you never know when you'll need them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

4, 8, 15, 16, 23 and 42

and say goodbye that last time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Luck favours the bold; Who dares wins... Don't be afraid to go for things that you want. Indecision is worse and costs more than wrong decision.

Also, stick with the Tae Kwon Do and keep your six pack!!! Don't trade it in for a keg like you did at 19... :(:p

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭boomtown123

That a lot of people are out to get me! Bullys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

bureau2009 wrote: »
    I would have said to my 16 year old self - get a CAREER.

And I would say to all young people - find a career you LIKE and learn all you can.

Get qualified, get experience, get enjoyment/fulfillment and get paid!

This may sound very basic, but you need to sort out the basics and then you can have a great life!
    Not sorting the basics is storing up trouble ahead.

Invest in yourself - always the best investment!

A career you like? And what if your no good at that work? For me it would be mechanics, but my dad wont let me go for it, As he said there is no work in it. He also said im no good whit cars. :(

So whats your advice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

A career you like? And what if your no good at that work? For me it would be mechanics, but my dad wont let me go for it, As he said there is no work in it. He also said im no good whit cars. :(

So whats your advice?

Your dad wont let you go for it?

LOL

What are you his sex slave?

Advertisement