Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could have told your past self something what would it be

Options
  • 18-03-2012 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭

Shamelessly copied from The Ladies Lounge
    I had a quick look and didn't see it here

If someone gave you the chance to go back to the age of, say, 16 and tell your past self something, what would it have been?

I would have said:
    Stop worrying so much about others opinions of you, there's a huge freedom when you just let go

Also take fitness more seriously, I used to be good at sports but laziness let that fall away
    So many benefits but a whole encyclopedia of procrastination and excuses if you allow it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

That course that you've got your heart set on attending in college, don't do it; Instead aim torwards the profession that your guidance councillor advised you to pursue as if you don't and make the same decision as I then you'll end up moving into it in ten years after getting the advice and will love it, so why not get there faster this time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The lotto numbers.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Cop the **** on to yourself.
    They arent worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Cop the **** on to yourself.
    They arent worth it

Second that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

I would say...

"Don't marry her - she WILL destroy your life!"

also...

"Don't take life so seriously, it's not worth it"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Shamelessly copied from The Ladies Lounge

Yes, except TLL got it arseways - you're not talking to your future self, duh!

What would I tell my past self? Stop being such a misogynist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Those massive sideburns look stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Jayse sake, just chill out and enjoy life, don't be so serious and quit your worrying, it'll work out in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭amacca

ask her and deal with it if its rejection/embarrassment etc that will be momentary...regret will last much longer. maybe shes not worth it but at least you'll know

stop feeling inferior to others.....you're actually not....stop comparing yourself to others, you are who you are..live with it and learn to enjoy it.....you will have to work on this

join more things...have a large/large circle of acquaintances etc..don't get stuck in a rut for any reason

you will want to go to that dance class you get invited to in first year in college fool......don't let me down by pretending to be too macho

don't wait too long to overcome your fear of public speaking

life truly is very short..you dont have all the time in the world...you wont believe me 16 year old me but if you even grasped 1/10 of my meaning you're life would be so much better because of the changed way you would live it

persevere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭CountryJoe

Dont under any circumstances even attempt to go to college after secondary school, it will end in disaster. You wont be in anyway ready for it and it will crash and burn badly.

Dont take up that dead end job, the 6 months you expected to stay only there turns into 9 years. It will pretty much destroy you.

Do a TEFL course and travel, it will do you the world of good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ukonline

Start saving for a hair transplant NOW! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NiallFH

Dont start playing fecking MMO's and start the gym sooner. Ah well, still young and setting it right

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Have more focus.

Start the part-time college course around 5 years earlier

Ask her out. She might have said yes

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭DevilsBreath

Plain and simple

Ask her out, finding out years later that she would have said yes but is with someone else is no fecking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

I'd tell myself:
    Don't delete guys numbers! Have confidence to approach people. If only I'd listen!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

To me 1 month ago.

Start your essay today!!!!

Other than that I'm not one for regrets. My past led to my present, the good and bad times, and apart from the looming fail on my hands, I'm very happy with things. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Don't contact that girl.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Don't sell yourself short.........

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

'' Evaluate every situation and stop reading that junk .It's makin' you conceited . Listen and think... even if they don't look or sound very smart and stop that drinkin' and the rest and you might by a miracle become a real man ''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

"Ask her out and if she says no, forget about her!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭amacca

Other than that I'm not one for regrets. My past led to my present, the good and bad times, and apart from the looming fail on my hands, I'm very happy with things. :)

you go girl!! :D
    "Ask her out and if she says no, forget about her!"

That would be my advice to myself as well but I did'nt administer it because I still cant take it...............................Aaaaah wallowing in the misery of unrequited love/ misinterpreting friendliness and subtle body language as romantic interest when will thou stop torturing me?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I would tell my younger self to not come across as so enthusiastic with girls. I'd like to think some advice would avoided a break up but if anthing it would probable just have delayed it.

But most importantly I'd tell myself to stop wasting all my money on dvds and try buy shares in a small business called Facebook:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

• Be nicer to this one.
    • There will never be the 'perfect' opportunity.
    • Don't press 'reply'.
    • Be Frank with her. Or John. Just for God's sake don't give her your real name!

mikemac1 wrote: »

If someone gave you the chance to go back to the age of, say, 16 and tell your past self something, what would it have been?

I would have said:...................

....... put an awful lot more on Sprinter Sacre, Big Bucks and Synchronised at Cheltenham Festival 2012 :pac:

On a more serious note, I'd have told myself you don't get a script for this life so never look back, only look forward :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Things are going to get a LOT worse for you this year laddie...:(

Then they will get a bit better and soon you'll meet a bunch of friends that you will be their groomsman, their best man, godfather to their first born.

I know you think about finishing it all, but you will get through it, and you will be stronger because of it.

Oh, and for chrissakes learn to SHARE things with people... things only start improving when you talk about what goes on this year.

Oh, and the lotto numbers post from earlier on too!!! Especially the Euromillions the week before that woman in Limerick... think it'll be around €100M... you should have a bit of fun with that.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭bureau2009

I would have said to my 16 year old self - get a CAREER.

And I would say to all young people - find a career you LIKE and learn all you can.

Get qualified, get experience, get enjoyment/fulfillment and get paid!

This may sound very basic, but you need to sort out the basics and then you can have a great life!
    Not sorting the basics is storing up trouble ahead.

Invest in yourself - always the best investment!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭storker

Get a job you like, not one you think you ought to have...think about what you're good at, what you really enjoy doing, and aim to be the best at it.

That little voice in your head that tells you what you're about to do is a bad idea? Listen to it.

Honour is easy to lose and hard to regain. Work at keeping yours. Those times when its hardest to do so are the most important.

Stork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Edgar Allan Poe

Dont obsess in hurt. You will only flog your own soul.

Dont hurt her. She's soft on the inside

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

storker wrote: »
    Get a job you like, not one you think you ought to have...think about what you're good at, what you really enjoy doing, and aim to be the best at it.

That little voice in your head that tells you what you're about to do is a bad idea? Listen to it.

Honour is easy to lose and hard to regain. Work at keeping yours. Those times when its hardest to do so are the most important.

Stork
    She's not worth getting annoyed over and don't díck two really special girls around as a result of you being treated badly - nobody likes a douchebag

^ I'd say that at an absolute stretch, personally I've always had the belief that I wouldn't change a thing I've done - for better or worse the things I've done and had done to me have shaped me into who I am today and will continue to do so in the future.

So I wouldn't change anything I've done but I'd sure as hell like to think I've learned from the things I'd like to change.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Stop saying no to yourself.

Fúck that'un took me a fare while to figure out.

Advertisement