Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Report Donegal And The Household Tax

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

you might wanna edit your first link to, how could I put this, a better more reliable source or remove it altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

danniemcq wrote: »
    you might wanna edit your first link to, how could I put this, a better more reliable source or remove it altogether.

I put in another source from todays article in Donegal democrat if thats ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

I'm registered and will be paying over the weekend
    Why? Well I'm not an idiot who thinks that refusing to pay makes it go away, that's why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

thanks for the advice Pique.. *I am now scurrying off like a good little citizen & paying the household tax so the government can build parks and children's hospitals*

• Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Pique wrote: »
    Well I'm not an idiot who thinks that refusing to pay makes it go away, that's why.
    If that's to be believed then about 90% of the Irish householders are idiots so :)

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    Well I'm not an idiot who thinks that refusing to pay makes it go away, that's why.
    If that's to be believed then about 90% of the Irish householders are idiots so :)
    We'll see how many are when the deadline comes.

thanks for the advice Pique.. *I am now scurrying off like a good little citizen & paying the household tax so the government can build parks and children's hospitals*
    Fine dont pay. It's not as if the current level of affected people (one per household) will be changed if it's not paid.
    No, the shortfall won't be just picked up by taxing the middle income working classes. SW will surely be affected to make sure this is equitable.

Oh wait....

We'll see how many are when the deadline comes.
    Indeed I was just going to say that :)

I'll put my head on the chopping block here and predict that approx. 80% of households will not have paid the charge come midnight on March 31st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Why? Well I'm not an idiot who thinks that refusing to pay makes it go away, that's why.

Its about getting a u turn done on this issue, the pensioners a few years ago got a u turn on the medical cards issue, One stage of the anti household tax Campaign has being won, The anti household tax campaign aimed for mass non registration and mass non payment by st patricks day they got for they aimed for, more them 1.5 million have not registered or paid,which give more confidence to people feeling unsure to go over the deadline and not pay,and force a u turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

i myself am exempt from paying it(unfinished estate) but i shall still not be registering this is about more than not paying the household tax this is about sending out a message.:mad:

• Advertisement

Am Chile wrote: »
    force a u turn.
    seriously, if this is the reason then the naiveté is staggering.
    Pensioners kept their medical cards, true. They are in the vast majority of cases, deserving of it.
    However, that still had to be paid for elsewhere. It isn't the case that a massive overspend by the govt on SW and PS wage bills simply goes away when a tax is objected to. It is raised elsewhere.

In the HC case, it is high time that every family/household, be they working or in receipt of SW, contribute financially to their local govt. As any reduction to the (by comparative standards) generous SW in Ireland brings out the hysterical references to the "most vulnerable in society" and "won't somebody think of the children" brigade, then this is the fairest method of extracting a contribution.

If it doesn't happen this way, it will be the usual overtaxed middle income wage slaves that pick up the bill and the protests cease as those affected are working and can't afford to stand on the street with placards daubed with "can't pay won't pay" schtick.

So it's either everyone pays, or every worker pays.

Pensioners kept their medical cards, true. They are in the vast majority of cases, deserving of it.
    However, that still had to be paid for elsewhere. It isn't the case that a massive overspend by the govt on SW and PS wage bills simply goes away when a tax is objected to. It is raised elsewhere.

In the HC case, it is high time that every family/household, be they working or in receipt of SW, contribute financially to their local govt. As any reduction to the (by comparative standards) generous SW in Ireland brings out the hysterical references to the "most vulnerable in society" and "won't somebody think of the children" brigade, then this is the fairest method of extracting a contribution.

If it doesn't happen this way, it will be the usual overtaxed middle income wage slaves that pick up the bill and the protests cease as those affected are working and can't afford to stand on the street with placards daubed with "can't pay won't pay" schtick.

You're not Jimmy Harte in real life by any chance?

Mod hat on: Can we keep the focus on Donegal please

muffler wrote: »
    You're not Jimmy Harte in real life by any chance?
    Lol nope.
    I'm one of the wage slaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

i will not be paying either for its the bank that has my deed so by law it aint my house :-)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

.17hmr wrote: »
    i will not be paying either for its the bank that has my deed so by law it aint my house :-)
    I like your way of thinking :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

In the HC case, it is high time that every family/household, be they working or in receipt of SW, contribute financially to their local govt.

I think you are naive if you think this €100 is going towards the provision of local services. The fire brigade has just doubled the price of a call-out, you have to pay to get your bin lifted and motor tax has gone through the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭Firblog

There is no accountability for what Donegal County Council spends any money on.. Councillors have no say in what services are prioritised, all is in the hands of unelected officials who can pay higher rates to themselves than people in the same jobs in other councils.. Untill that situation is fixed then there should be no local revenue raising powers given to local authorities esp Donegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

I haven't paid, nor do I have any intention of paying before the deadline.

I've asked several of my neighbours, and none of them have paid, or intend to pay, either!

As I see it, people voted against the last Government in the G.E because they disagreed with their policies. The result was a new Government, who implemented the exact same policies.

I see this as an opportunity to protest, and to try to stop the financial noose tightening any further around the necks of future generations.
    The protest may, or may not succeed, but I least I will be able to look my children, and grandchildren in the face, and say "I tried!".

Nice little clip on the RTE news a couple of days ago. Can be viewed on the RTE player...starts about 36:10

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Protest on tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

eth0 wrote: »
    Protest on tomorrow?

Yes indeed - Assemble at the Station Roundabout, Letterkenny (Tesco's Roundabout) at 3pm. All welcome. Bring placards but make sure they are apolitical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭overshoot

yourpics wrote: »
    I think you are naive if you think this €100 is going towards the provision of local services. The fire brigade has just doubled the price of a call-out, you have to pay to get your bin lifted and motor tax has gone through the roof.
    Thats the problem with this and what they say it is going towards... Correct me if im wrong but the there is a similar house tax in england which then covers bins, water, sewage etc. These are all separate here and they have not shown any signs of removing these... the introduction of the septic tank registration fee is a further example of why this isnt going to change!
    The two of these and more could have been incorporated into one fee where it is just tick the boxes to which you avail of eg septic tank +5e, public sewer +50e, water- public mains +50e, gws 0 etc. bins service charge +100. its clear what you are paying for and how much. for a "household tax" it shouldnt be hard to show the services that you are paying for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

I got a flyer in the letterbox today explaining how I can pay the household charge, first correspondence I received from any official source so far, albeit a generic flyer with nothing personalised on it.

The dept of the Environment hope to raise €160 million from household charge registration... isn't it funny how the same department is in charge of the Mahon tribunal which is costing approx €300 million

*dont mean to be dragging off topic but thought it was worth a mention

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭firemansam4

I think the demeanor of your post is almost insulting to anyone unfortunate enough to have lost there job recently - You describe middle class wage slaves as the ones picking up the tab for everything, so i guess the lower class workers are just lazy people who don't pay there way?
    And I suppose anyone who has lost there job are probably all spongers who don't want to work and pay any taxes?

Believe it or not there are people out of work who find it demeaning and would like nothing better too be back working again.

I Actually paid my household charge because I believe the money has to come from somewhere and the government have to bridge that massive 15 billion deficit some how. But I can understand why others feel so agreived especially when large sums keep getting paid to bond holders of banks who caused this mess. And I certainly wouldn't call people idiots for not paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭jonnygee

Yes , the government have to bridge the defecit somehow. but by taking away money that the taxpayers were previously paying to fund local services and then asking them to pay again by inventing this new charge just isnt on in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

overshoot wrote: »
    Thats the problem with this and what they say it is going towards... Correct me if im wrong but the there is a similar house tax in england which then covers bins, water, sewage etc. These are all separate here and they have not shown any signs of removing these... the introduction of the septic tank registration fee is a further example of why this isnt going to change!
    The two of these and more could have been incorporated into one fee where it is just tick the boxes to which you avail of eg septic tank +5e, public sewer +50e, water- public mains +50e, gws 0 etc. bins service charge +100. its clear what you are paying for and how much. for a "household tax" it shouldnt be hard to show the services that you are paying for

Well bins are privatised now but I do agree the FG and Labour have handled this appallingly, you'd wonder what all these PR and spin doctor guys get paid for!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

jonnygee wrote: »
    Yes , the government have to bridge the defecit somehow. but by taking away money that the taxpayers were previously paying to fund local services and then asking them to pay again by inventing this new charge just isnt on in my opinion.

Yea I think the way they have gone about it is a big farce and they should have waited til they had the value based system in place but at the end of the day the money has to come from some where, if its not this tax it will be another or more cuts.

I hate the way we are all lumbered now to pay for this because of the gross negligence of the politicians and banks, but we are in this situation none the less and the more this country borrows the more of a hole we(this country) are digging for our selves

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭jonnygee

But just how much are you prepared to pay. 100 this year, 500 next year, 1000 the year after plus water rates. and god forbid that they would ever privatise the water here which they are probably contemplating doing.That would be the final straw for me.
    We are in some hole allright.

• Advertisement

jonnygee wrote: »
    But just how much are you prepared to pay. 100 this year, 500 next year, 1000 the year after plus water rates. and god forbid that would ever privatise the water here which they are probably contemplating doing.That would be the final straw for me.
    We are in some hole allright.

Yea I understand where you are coming from, and I found it hard enough to get the 100 euros never mind if it was 500 or 1000, but the government did say they will be making it more fair and the people who can afford to pay more will be paying more so i guess I will have to wait and see what happens with that.

I would be more inclined to protest about the septic tank charges which seem to be a pure attack on the rural community in Ireland and how on earth they think people can suddenly come up with 10 grand to change there septic tank is beyond belief, but that's going off topic so I will leave that their.

Advertisement