Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rush - Clockwork Angels Release Date

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

galwayrush wrote: »
    Don't panic, more dates to be announced and some possible dates free.
    Howard is probably negotiating with the small minded health n safety people at the O2 about being allowed the full pyro show this time...:D

Crap, if Rammstein can play the O2 wit there full set up then i'm sure a full Rush pyro show will be no bother ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Thoughts after about a week or so with the records....

Best record they've made since Grace Under Pressure. This is coming from someone who has spent the last two years immersing myself in their back catalogue - I was all about the early stuff initially but fell in love with the stuff they did post Moving Pictures as I was listening to them. Whilst I love, for example, Hold Your Fire (the day I found that record in Manchester for 5 quid was a happy day indeed) I think it's pretty well accepted that GUP was their last great record. With of course honourable mentions going to afew others in the subsequent years.
    I'm not gonna delve into a track by track review or anything, suffice to say that to be making records like this on their 20th go is pretty breathtaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Don't have a clue what's happening - my local HMV (i'm not in Galway now!) told me Eason's have the exclusive on it, while Eason's don't know if they're getting it or not :confused:

Edit - Eason's rang me today and say they'll get me an issue and should have it for tThursday, yay! :D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Fucking class album

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

Fucking class album

post_thanks.gif Thats the spirit :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭rednik

Bought it yesterday and will listen to it on the way into Chris Cornell tonight.

Good lord, this is hands down the best album they've produced since the 80s. Magazine is a great read too! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Is it out here yet?

Links234 wrote: »
    Is it out here yet?

Available in Easons since lasy Monday.

Is it in hmv? I don't think my local easons carries CD's

• Advertisement

Is it in hmv? I don't think my local easons carries CD's

Classic Rock fanpack released last Monday. Official album release next month.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1858705231/

rednik wrote: »
    Classic Rock fanpack released last Monday. Official album release next month.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1858705231/

Ah. I feel a little stupid. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

Just finished my first listen, its a great album

Ah. I feel a little stupid. :)

Ah sure you can always get it today.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Got it on Monday, can't stop listening to it - brilliant stuff :)

In fact, every time I listen to it there's new bits I haven't noticed before. Just little subtle things in there, be it bass lines, guitar fills, drum stuff whatever.

And - this is obvious really - it deserves to be played LOUD. No distortion or clipping, it's just made for volume. 'Caravan', 'BU2B' and 'Headlong Flight' (all tracks I liked anyway) sound so much better on CD through my stereo.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Some of the basslines from Geddy are ridiculously good, such an enjoyable album!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Is there any differences between the album that comes with the magazine, and the official album release?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I'm pretty sure we can just end music now, we have a winner.

I'm not going to call it their best album (that will always be AFTK for me), but it's probably in their top 6 or so. More importantly, it sounds like it's been recorded by a band half their age, as if they had something to prove to the world. It fizzles and pops with ideas and vitality.

The fact that they're able to produce music this far into their career is a feat in itself, but when it's some of the best music of that lengthy and formidable career? Astounding. Phenomenal album.

Is there any differences between the album that comes with the magazine, and the official album release?

Pretty sure the audio is all the same, dunno if there'll be a general release of the nice digipack it comes in though. The magazine cost me €20, i guess depending where you shop, the actual cd won't be a whole lot cheaper and the magazine is great if you're a big enough fan :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭laros

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kYXM7daTxo&feature=player_embedded#!

Interview with Geddy about the Recording of Clockwork Angels

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

The Wreckers is slowly creeping up my list of favourite songs.
    In general I mean, not just on the album.
    It's bloody magnificent.

After listening to it for a week now it is a great album, I just hope they come back to Dublin again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Could someone recommend which Rush album is best to start out with if you've never listened to them before? I keep seeing them mentioned all over the place and feel it's a sign to give them a go :P

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

Cill94 wrote: »
    Could someone recommend which Rush album is best to start out with if you've never listened to them before? I keep seeing them mentioned all over the place and feel it's a sign to give them a go :P

I'd recommend their 1981 album Moving Pictures if you've never listened to them before. It's widely regarded as one of their best and should give you feel for what they're all about.

rush_movingf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

xerces wrote: »
    I'd recommend their 1981 album Moving Pictures if you've never listened to them before. It's widely regarded as one of their best and should give you feel for what they're all about.

Thanks! :D I'll give it a listen.

I'd recommend just going to the start and working your way forward. Rush are a band who went through huge changes to their style and sound through the years. Each period has it's better albums, but Rush are really one of those bands whereby you reap huge rewards from going through their catalogue chronologically. The self titled debut and Caress Of Steel being maybe the only ones I'm not too pushed on - but these have some great songs nonetheless. But Fly By Night, 2112, A Farewell To Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals & Grace Under Pressure is a run of albums that, to my mind, is almost unrivalled in it's consistency as well as it's originality and freshness. Their sound changes drastically over the course of the two decades and the journey through their evolving styles is one I'd encourage anyone to embark on.

I personally started with Moving Pictures and was blown away, but I didn't like the more progressive material (especially Hemispheres) until years later. I kind of dipped in and out of albums here and there. But then I did it like I mention above and I'm so glad I did. I even bought each on on vinyl as I made my way through. Good times. :) Now my favourite album is Hemispheres and my favourite song is Cygnus X1 Book 2 and my favourite moment in music is within the song (THAT chord when the song kicks back in). So that's just my experience, but maybe I'm just too much of a music nerd and nobody else feels this way...

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

Richy06 wrote: »
    I'd recommend just going to the start and working your way forward.

Yeah, ideally this would be the best way to go about their discography (or anybody's discography for that matter), but I got the impression that Cill94 wanted one album to see if Rush are to his tastes and I think Moving Pictures is a good one for that.

In saying that, I'm dipping in and out of their albums of late so I think I'll have a crack at the nerdy way of things by starting from the beginning :).

I meant more if he listens to Moving Pictures and finds them too his taste then to go about it the way I mentioned. I'm like that with any band or artist with an extensive back catalogue, though. It's so much more rewarding if you've the time and patience to do it! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,124 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Finally got the album. Although I'm only home a few minutes, so it'll take me a while to lsiten to it. Very excited though.

Advertisement