Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish comedy

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I cant stand McSavage as a standup but The Savage Eye is the best thing, even non comedy, that RTE commissioned in years, the final episode of the first season was a superb look at modern Ireland, it was even touching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

ColeTrain wrote: »
    The Jackeens cream themselves seeing Brendan Carroll in drag too I'd imagine.

nominated for a bafta g'wan brendan ya baldy lil ****er

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

bluewolf wrote: »
    i dont know what savage eye or hardy bucks are :(

They are pure sh1t.

Now you know.

And knowing is half the battle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

ricero wrote: »
    nominated for a bafta g'wan brendan ya baldy lil ****er

You'd buy a Bafta online for a fiver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

ColeTrain wrote: »
    You'd buy a Bafta online for a fiver.

haha anyway my favorite comedy shows which are irish at the moment are the ever so brilliant hardy bucks and the savage eye. i imagine hardy bucks is what it is like living in the culchie lands of the west

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

its a pity a lot of our comedians have to go to the UK to make it big, Dara O'Briain being a perfect example, he was well known here but once he started on Mock The Week his profile went through the roof. same as Graham Norton, like him or not he's been a staple of late night chat shows for years, and he'd never get away with what he does on RTE. I think its built into presenters contracts that they're not allowed have a personality on air or look like they're having "fun".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Explosions in the Sky

ricero wrote: »
    i say culchie's cream themselves when patt shortt is on the box. G'wan ya boy ya
    Yap us peasants love it, we might even get color on our tv outside the pale in the next fifty years

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Borboletinha

Wattle wrote: »
    That's complete bollox. Father Ted was very popular in Britain. I've had Americans tell me it was their favourite show and apparently people come all the way from Japan for Tedfest.

Well, maybe... But I for one hate that show with a passion!! Can you explain to me how is it funny? Then again, if you have to explain its because it wasnt funny in the first place...
    Also, I lived in the states almost 4 years never once heard of Father Ted... Their favorite show??? You talk about it as if its ''Friends'' or something as popular...

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭lmao

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You have a way with words.......well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

A few months out in the bog might finally make a man out of ya ricero. You might also get a taste for club orange and 'tay'.

No good Irish comedy apart from Father Ted comes to mind, sad state of affairs for such a craic-loving nation.

I wonder does Glenroe count though? I always used to laugh my head off when Dinny Byrne and Dick Moran fell into the slurry pit or gave out about the travellers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Do people here simply not understand Hardy Bucks, or are they just trying to portray themselves as comedy snobs? The Viper is an amazing character.
    One of the main problems we have with comedy in Ireland is that most of the satire fails because the people at the butt of the joke end up being the biggest cult fans(Rubberbandits, Catherine Lynch and even Hardy Bucks to an extent - all adored by the skangers who are having the piss taken out of them)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Owen_S wrote: »
    Do people here simply not understand Hardy Bucks, or are they just trying to portray themselves as comedy snobs? The Viper is an amazing character.
    One of the main problems we have with comedy in Ireland is that most of the satire fails because the people at the butt of the joke end up being the biggest cult fans(Rubberbandits, Catherine Lynch and even Hardy Bucks to an extent - all adored by the skangers who are having the piss taken out of them)

Hardy Bucks is very hit and miss, its not that I think its shít or that its not intellectual enough its that they are not that good at what they do. Pat Shortt is excellent at what he does whether you like that style or not he's very professional, understands exactly what he's doing and he can pull it off.

The Hardy Bucks lads on The Saturday Night Show was car crash from start to finish. The shows are a bit better but there is a bit of that awkward failed improv type stuff in the show too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Paths to freedom is my favourite RTE produced comedy, it was made 12 odd years ago though. Out of the current offerings there's nothing I'd really call myself a fan of, I do enjoy the Bucks but I never felt it transferred well to TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Borboletinha

lmao wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You have a way with words.......well done!

Why, would you like to teach me some proper english Mr. native speaker? Dont be arrogant...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭William_Hicley

uch wrote: »
    Killinascully is funny though

Get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Paths to freedom is my favourite RTE produced comedy, it was made 12 odd years ago though. Out of the current offerings there's nothing I'd really call myself a fan of, I do enjoy the Bucks but I never felt it transferred well to TV.

It was good.

Bachelors Walk was very good though more a comedy drama, but yep, you're chatting ten years since quality comedy on RTE.

As regards the Savage Eye, not bad but I just get the feeling it's trying too hard to be cool and often steals borrows heavily from other shows. Paths to Freedom and Bachelors Walk just seemed to be very natural and unforced.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

MungBean wrote: »
    Hardy Bucks is very hit and miss, its not that I think its shít or that its not intellectual enough its that they are not that good at what they do. Pat Shortt is excellent at what he does whether you like that style or not he's very professional, understands exactly what he's doing and he can pull it off.

The Hardy Bucks lads on The Saturday Night Show was car crash from start to finish. The shows are a bit better but there is a bit of that awkward failed improv type stuff in the show too.

That's exactly my view on them. Well put.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Why, would you like to teach me some proper english Mr. native speaker? Dont be arrogant...:mad:

lol

Says you!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭NedTermo

The Viper is doing live audio commentary on the All Ireland Final on Sunday on his Mixlr page.
    http://mixlr.com/viper-higgins/

Should be a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

If your funny move to england, there is nothing here for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Bernard O'Shea, a terribly unfunny puppet for Dermot Whelan on ROT. He's of the same school as Jason Byrne - face-making and little much else as content. Token fat guy comedy isn't a good idea.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

While it's strictly a British comedy, Dylan Moran and Graham Linehan were the brains behind Black Books and I tend to think of it as at least a partly Irish comedy.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Ava_e

The Après Match guys always make me laugh.

And Paths to Freedom was absolute class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Your Bad Self was the last thing I actually laughed at on RTE. I loved it and really miss it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Irish Pictorial was good. Hopefully that'll come back for another series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

I know comedy is subjective but you cant go wrong with Joe Rooney and Jarlath Regan IMO. I saw them both at comedy night in The Mill Theatre in Dundrum in the recent past and cried laughing at them both. I like observational comedy, not a fan of candid camera stuff or over the top crude stuff (although Billy Connelly is the funniest man alive and he's not afraid to drop the F Bomb) so I'm no fan of Naked Cameras or The Savage Eye or some of the stuff of Republic of Telly.

And as for Father Ted, I dont care what nationality it is, its still the second greatest comedy programme ever shown on British TV after Fawlty Towers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Paths to Freedom - yes.
    And what was the other series that came after that? The guy that played 'Rats' in PTF was a swinger who was getting married?
    Republic of Telly is alright, bit up themselves.
    Savage Eye has me cringing/creasing equally.

RTE is generally ****e though, isn't it? They make one good show every few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Nothing can beat the D'unbelievables stuff from the nineties. No comedian has even come close to them in the last 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Stand up night upstairs in Parker Browns in the Dundrum Town Centre MC'd by Eric Lalor, Headlined by Karl Spain.

Tuesday 9th April 9pm, €12

• Advertisement
Advertisement