Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish comedy

Options
  • 14-03-2012 2:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭

Just saw an ad for 'The Savage Eye" on RTE. All these shows are the same. See Killinaskully and Catherine Lynch. The humour seems to revolve around loud, ridiculous characters that are meant to portray an Irish stereotype.

Is this really the best we can do? Surely not.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

So dont watch em. Thats how I solved my Fair City and the Angelus problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

MungBean wrote: »
    So dont watch em. Thats how I solved my Fair City and the Angelus problem.

Who said I watched them?

The way I see it, For every show like the above made, a good idea/script is kept down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Irish comedy doesn't exist (However, there is the exception of the guy who slipped on the ice)

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Who said I watched them?

The way I see it, For every show like the above made, a good idea/script is kept down.

The reason they have shows is because they are very popular comedians and the shows are based on their already popular stand up. Its tried and tested and a lot of people watch and enjoy them. If you dont like them pick up the remote and change the channel, there may be something else on.

By the way The Savage Eye is one of the best comedy shows to hit RTE in recent years. It goes well beyond the one character your using as a basis for your opinion of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Hardy Bucks is alright

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Irish Comedy.

Hi Cod Misery

That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Savage Eye is hilarious. Hardy Bucks is bollox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Who said I watched them?

Do you have some experience of this or is it just a theory? There is also the possibility that these shows get made because of the lack of a better alternative. Not to mention the whole personal taste issue. We have 4 channels with which to satisfy everyone along with a limited talent pool in terms of making these shows, there is going to be a lot of stuff you don't like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

I like mcsavage. unleashing a bipolar deviant with a grudge on his family > society on the general public is a step forward IMO. Promote that there

I.. even find catherine lynch amusing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

Catherine lynch is rubbish , hardy bucks was complete scutter , but I must admit I got a few laughs from the savage eye , like the priest snatchin the kids and the barman.

mackg wrote: »
    Do you have some experience of this or is it just a theory? There is also the possibility that these shows get made because of the lack of a better alternative. Not to mention the whole personal taste issue. We have 4 channels with which to satisfy everyone along with a limited talent pool in terms of making these shows, there is going to be a lot of stuff you don't like.

True enough, I'd imagine most people aiming for that line of work would instinctively head towards England. What RTE are left with is probably whatever they themselves come up with and popular comedians who's comedy style doesnt export that well. Seeing as RTE are shít at everything all we really have are Pat Shortt and co.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Killinascully is funny though

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

mackg wrote: »

No experience but I'd be surprised if there wasn't a better alternative or a least something different being offered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

LH Pathe wrote: »
    I.. even find catherine lynch amusing.

Banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

If you dont like them pick up the remote and change the channel, there may be something else on.
    Rubbish! As licence payers we're entitled to protest about what we get in return for our buck without this tired old 'change the channel' rubbish. I'm required to pay for this muck when I actually have QUALITY programming coming through my Sky box so I'll bitch about it if I like!

MyKeyG wrote: »
    Rubbish! As licence payers we're entitled to protest about what we get in return for our buck without this tired old 'change the channel' rubbish. I'm required to pay for this muck when I actually have QUALITY programming coming through my Sky box so I'll bitch about it if I like!

Your an angry little fella arnt ya lol? Who's saying you cant bitch about it ? Bitch all you want but dont be surprised if nothing comes of it is all I'm saying, so you will be left with your original choice of either watching the show or not watching the show.

LH Pathe wrote: »
    what a cilchèd safe bastard. Do something outrageous, Pat. Break the mould. Dare to be different. challenge us, for a laugh and stop sucking up to my nan

Cant blame Pat, he does what he does same as any comedian. If theres an audience who will watch him he'll continue to do it.

RTE is where the problem lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

True enough, I'd imagine most people aiming for that line of work would instinctively head towards England. What RTE are left with is probably whatever they themselves come up with and popular comedians who's comedy style doesnt export that well. Seeing as RTE are shít at everything all we really have are Pat Shortt and co.

Look at Dara O Brian (maybe spelled wrong) he left for the BBC. He did the panel here for a while but imo he carried that show when he was there. I also agree that what remains is what's suitable for export which in turn explains coletrain's original point about shows full of Irish stereotypes.
    No experience but I'd be surprised if there wasn't a better alternative or a least something different being offered.

The problem with trying something different is the very real possibility of total failure ie. nobody watching the show at all. I don't think RTE have the budget to cancel a complete failure and replace it so if it gets made it gets shown in full, end of story.

The most original and risky stuff to get on T.V. lately are the Rubberbandits (who have been poached by a british station I think? anyone confirm this?) and the Hardy Bucks but this came with large followings before they ever got near the telly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Just saw an ad for 'The Savage Eye" on RTE. All these shows are the same. See Killinaskully and Catherine Lynch. The humour seems to revolve around loud, ridiculous characters that are meant to portray an Irish stereotype.

So just like Little Britain, Cathern Tate, Harry Enfield and Chums, Al Murray the Pub Land Lord etc do for England then?

Indeed, we must try to have better standards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Hardy bucks is easily the best comedy show ever to come out of this country, father ted included. haters gonna hate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Spunge wrote: »
    Hardy bucks is easily the best comedy show ever to come out of this country, father ted included. haters gonna hate

I have to say I love self depreciating comedy that is so Irish its ridiculous but does Fr Ted really count as its a Channel 4 program.
    Potatoes gonna potate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

So just like Little Britain, Cathern Tate, Harry Enfield and Chums, Al Murray the Pub Land Lord etc do for England then?

Indeed, we must try to have better standards.
    Um, apart from Harry Enfield, they're all ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

McGaggs wrote: »
    Um, apart from Harry Enfield, they're all ****.

Blackadder is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

In 2007, Mahatma Gandhi was interviewed on The Café, and Aidan Power asked him what he thought of Irish comedy.

Without hesitation he replied: "What do I think of Irish comedy? I think it would be a very good idea."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

The Brits do far better comedy series'.

Blackadder.
    Bottom.
    Spaced.
    Big Train.
    Brasseye.
    IT Crowd.
    Fr Ted (ok written by Graham Linehan and picked up by Channel 4. So technically British as it's their production).
    Black Books.
    Monty Python.
    Fawlty Towers.
    Green Wing.
    Look Around You.
    Garth Merenghis Darkplace.
    The Mighty Boosh.
    Man to Man with Dean Learner.
    Stewart Lees Comedy Vehicle.
    Charlie Brookers Screen/News-wipe.
    Nathan Barley.
    Time Trumpet.

I do like the Savage Eye as it takes the p!ss at the colloquialisms instead of just repeating them and the dough-headed viewers going "Yes. I do mash potatoes that way! Oh God where has this program been all my life?".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Lots of good irish standups floating around. You cant blame them on rte productions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

POKERKING wrote: »
    Lots of good irish standups floating around. You cant blame them on rte productions.

RTE butcher the sh1te out of any comic talent we have by sticking them in ridiculous shows like those crap panel shows they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I know my hatred for Catherine Lynch is unwarranted because I can choose to just not watch her. And that's what I do every time, just change channel. But it still really annoys me that she even gets air time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

No good comedy in Ireland? Our comics are some of the best in the world FFS. They sell out arenas all over the UK and even the US/Canada. Dara O Brian, Tommy Tiernan, Dylan Moran, Brendan Grace, Frank Hall, Dermot Morgan, the list is endless. I hate Brendan O'Carroll but his show is one of the top rated on BBC. So it can't be all that bad! I don't like Killnaskully tbh, but some of D'Unbelievables stuff is great! Catherine Lynch is pure sh*te, as is Maeve Higgins, but I've never seen a female comedian that I'd consider remotely funny, with the possible exception of Pauline McGlynn in Father Ted. Different folks, different strokes.

And Father Ted is Irish FFS. It's Irish humour, written by an Irish writer and starring almost exclusively Irish actors all filmed in Ireland. Just because RTE are total f*ckwits doesn't mean that comedy is bad, just RTE. And that's only because RTE is based on nepotism and who you know. You need only look at 'Your Bad Self' to see that. Maybe the thread should be changed to: 'RTE wouldn't know comedy if it came up and kicked them in the f*cking testicles'.

Advertisement