Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish comedy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

token101 wrote: »
    No good comedy in Ireland? Our comics are some of the best in the world FFS. They sell out arenas all over the UK and even the US/Canada. Dara O Brian, Tommy Tiernan, Dylan Moran, Brendan Grace, Frank Hall, Dermot Morgan, the list is endless. I hate Brendan O'Carroll but his show is one of the top rated on BBC. So it can't be all that bad! I don't like Killnaskully tbh, but some of D'Unbelievables stuff is great! Catherine Lynch is pure sh*te, as is Maeve Higgins, but I've never seen a female comedian that I'd consider remotely funny, with the possible exception of Pauline McGlynn in Father Ted. Different folks, different strokes.

And Father Ted is Irish FFS. It's Irish humour, written by an Irish writer and starring almost exclusively Irish actors all filmed in Ireland. Just because RTE are total f*ckwits doesn't mean that comedy is bad, just RTE. And that's only because RTE is based on nepotism and who you know. You need only look at 'Your Bad Self' to see that. Maybe the thread should be changed to: 'RTE wouldn't know comedy if it came up and kicked them in the f*cking testicles'.

Would you like a small flag for that "I'm Irish and proud" rant? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

smash wrote: »
    I know my hatred for Catherine Lynch is unwarranted because I can choose to just not watch her. And that's what I do every time, just change channel. But it still really annoys me that she even gets air time.

She appeals to white trash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

chin_grin wrote: »
    Would you like a small flag for that "I'm Irish and proud" rant? :pac:

No, but maybe you could have a look through your 'British' list again and tell me how many of the decent shows have Irish actors/writers. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Who said I watched them?

The way I see it, For every show like the above made, a good idea/script is kept down.

RTE passed on Father Ted, which tells you all you need to know about RTE.

Most likely a good thing though as it's hard to imagine RTE making a show that doesn't suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Borboletinha

No good comedy in Ireland? Our comics are some of the best in the world FFS. They sell out arenas all over the UK and even the US/Canada. Dara O Brian, Tommy Tiernan, Dylan Moran, Brendan Grace, Frank Hall, Dermot Morgan, the list is endless. I hate Brendan O'Carroll but his show is one of the top rated on BBC. So it can't be all that bad! I don't like Killnaskully tbh, but some of D'Unbelievables stuff is great! Catherine Lynch is pure sh*te, as is Maeve Higgins, but I've never seen a female comedian that I'd consider remotely funny, with the possible exception of Pauline McGlynn in Father Ted. Different folks, different strokes.

And Father Ted is Irish FFS. It's Irish humour, written by an Irish writer and starring almost exclusively Irish actors all filmed in Ireland. Just because RTE are total f*ckwits doesn't mean that comedy is bad, just RTE. And that's only because RTE is based on nepotism and who you know. You need only look at 'Your Bad Self' to see that. Maybe the thread should be changed to: 'RTE wouldn't know comedy if it came up and kicked them in the f*cking testicles'.

Dylan Moran is the best comedian ever!! Funniest man alive!!! Im grateful to ireland for him if nothing else! Now Father Ted I think you have to be irish to find it funny... Never heard of a non irish person who liked Father Ted, not one... Same with beans on toast...:pac:

• Advertisement

No, but maybe you could have a look through your 'British' list again and tell me how many of the decent shows have Irish actors/writers. ;)

Graham Linehan. Legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

The 1990's was the golden age of Irish comics.
    We had three Perrier award winners in this decade,
    Sean Hughes - 1990
    Dylan Moran - 1996
    Tommy Tiernan - 1998

Add to that we had unquestionably the funniest TV programme in Father Ted.

It's been downhill since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Otterfox

As an Irish comedy writer I do think that a lot of sense has been made in this forum. It seems that if you want to even be in a position to make a pilot you generally have to know someone or be an already established star.

There are some great Irish comedy writers and indeed writers of other disciplines that are not given any chance whatsoever by Irish broadcasters simply because they are not already established names. To a degree I understand this in that it is high-risk but surely writers should be judged on the level of their work and not because they know someone important.

Any success I have had as a writer has been in Britain.

People like this writer friend of mine I feel deserve a chance. Here is an idea he is working on:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CddIgOzYkZY
    And here's one of my own ideas:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq_LCiYHOUQ&feature=channel

Otterfox wrote: »
    As an Irish comedy writer I do think that a lot of sense has been made in this forum. It seems that if you want to even be in a position to make a pilot you generally have to know someone or be an already established star.

There are some great Irish comedy writers and indeed writers of other disciplines that are not given any chance whatsoever by Irish broadcasters simply because they are not already established names. To a degree I understand this in that it is high-risk but surely writers should be judged on the level of their work and not because they know someone important.

Any success I have had as a writer has been in Britain.

People like this writer friend of mine I feel deserve a chance. Here is an idea he is working on:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CddIgOzYkZY
    And here's one of my own ideas:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq_LCiYHOUQ&feature=channel

Oh! Looks like we have a comedian in our midst. Well then. Say something funny then Mr Comedian! G'wan.

Really? "The thing I found strange is that the place was full of prisoners", "What, the prison?" <shudders with embarrassment>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

phasers wrote: »
    Hardy Bucks is alright

imo I think "The Viper" is one of the best characters ever. His MW3 commentaries on youtube are hilarious.

"Its not camping if yer having a good time"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I thought Upwardly Mobile was an astutely written and witty observation of Irish Society.

The best comedy show RTE have come up with is Fair City.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I think the Savage Eye is the exception to the rule that RTE cannot do good comedy. His Robinson Crusoe take on ghost estates was brilliant. Also love him when he's dressed up as Ireland such as the bidding farewell to the emigrants sketch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

RTE passed on Father Ted, which tells you all you need to know about RTE.
    They didn't - that is a myth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Yeah although Father Ted was written by Irish writers, starred Irish comedians and was set in Ireland it was still a Channel 4 show so it was a British TV Series. RTE was never in the picture and it wasnt written for an Irish audience it was written for a British/Irish audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I think Savage Eye is quite funny, really rips the piss out of the country, of course alot of it is poor/over my head but alot of it hits the mark.
    Re the Hardy Bucks, I though the second series was much better than the first and the lads settled into the groove, the Viper is a classic character. His break down is superbly chronicled.
    There is some real comedy gold in it and a load of surreal humour too.
    Yeah but Katherine Lynch, Shortt etc. are rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Oh how I want to beat him with that microphone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Dylan Moran is the best comedian ever!! Funniest man alive!!! Im grateful to ireland for him if nothing else! Now Father Ted I think you have to be irish to find it funny... Never heard of a non irish person who liked Father Ted, not one... Same with beans on toast...:pac:

That's complete bollox. Father Ted was very popular in Britain. I've had Americans tell me it was their favourite show and apparently people come all the way from Japan for Tedfest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

It always surprises me when people say that any form of comedy is ****e. I would assume that what they mean to say is that they do not find it funny themselves. Its obvious from reading through this thread, that one persons good comedy is another persons ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,941 ✭✭✭leakyboots

gustavo wrote: »
    They didn't - that is a myth.

Whichever of them does the commentary on the DVD boxset, think it's Linehan, put that myth to bed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

DAvid o doherty ftw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

leakyboots wrote: »
    Whichever of them does the commentary on the DVD boxset, think it's Linehan, put that myth to bed

I remember that commentary - also how he was saying how he really fancied one of the nuns that was in the episode with the writer that came to stay on Craggy Island :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

phasers wrote: »
    Hardy Bucks is alright

I've never seen the show but I do laugh my ass off at their Call of Duty commentaries on youtube..

Paths to freedom is still imo the best Irish produced comedy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

[QUOTE=ColeTrain;77585082]Who said I watched them?

The way I see it, For every show like the above made, a good idea/script is kept down.[/QUOTE]
    Its kinda a pre requisite for voicing an opinion on them..isnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

rgmmg wrote: »
    McGaggs wrote: »
    Um, apart from Harry Enfield, they're all ****.

Blackadder is great.
    I was only referring to the list. Blackadder is great (not so much the first series)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

smash wrote: »

Oh how I want to beat him with that microphone!

Ah now, those ads are quality!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Explosions in the Sky

Our comedy usually revolves around "Irishisims" and our own culture but we have made some decent shows and comedians I think. I was never into Dara O Brian but after watching some of his shows it shows he is natuarly funny and comes up with alot of the stuff on the spot with crowd participation. Hardy Bucks was funny imo, the savage eye is brilliant, it has the stereotypical Irish comedy with a funnier side too :) Republic of telly is enjoyable but the Handy Sandie bit is crap :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Pure_Cork wrote: »
    Ah now, those ads are quality!

http://noplan.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/dave-silverman.jpg?w=300&h=220

Its kinda a pre requisite for voicing an opinion on them..isnt it?

Are you saying they're good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

i say culchie's cream themselves when patt shortt is on the box. G'wan ya boy ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

ricero wrote: »
    i say culchie's cream themselves when patt shortt is on the box. G'wan ya boy ya

The Jackeens cream themselves seeing Brendan Carroll in drag too I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i dont know what savage eye or hardy bucks are :(

Advertisement