Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Spring/Summer 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The South coast could see the odd thundery burst from this system tonight.
    Kind of coming in under the radar (pardon the pun) because it's only skirting the South but over an inch of rain is quite possible along the South coast.
    Renewed flooding in Cork is a possibility!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Yep very heavy rain showing on radar for this early morning. This image is from 4 am. Poor people of Clonakilty getting a very heavy burst again. Possible renewed flooding again this moves off for the south, south west.

212822.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Saved this one from 3:45 last night with a large area of torrential rain over south Cork. No lightning recorded over land surprisingly enough

10193473.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Looks like there is something developing off the east coast, heading towards the isle of man unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

apparently according to google weather :rolleyes: not putting much faith, but still, there's 50% chance of thunderstorms in cork tomorrow. can any one verify that one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    apparently according to google weather :rolleyes: not putting much faith, but still, there's 50% chance of thunderstorms in cork tomorrow. can any one verify that one?

Thanks for the tease..

Fingers crossed...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

sunbabe08 wrote: »

There is indeed a chance, though maybe best to be right on the coast . Lifted index values currently for 2moro afternoon are best just off the coast.

212888.png

Shall update this evening when the later runs come out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭okla

A couple of pics and very short video clips of that cell that passed over north Dublin yesterday evening.
    I was out in Donabate and the view was spectacular.
    My pictures don't do it justice but it was like something from Storm Chasers :eek:

20120711180909.th.jpg

stormyo.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Nice whales mouth in the second vid. Thanks for sharing them. :)

Jealous of the spot u wer in okla ! , i was cursing myself that i couldnt have been out up on Howth head for it!
    Great shots :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Iancar29 wrote: »
    There is indeed a chance, though maybe best to be right on the coast . Lifted index values currently for 2moro afternoon are best just off the coast.

212888.png

Shall update this evening when the later runs come out :)

bah, looks like it's close to youghal:rolleyes: back in cork city for the weekend. darn it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

My last night in Sardinia and I had seen virtually no cloud for 17 days but now this evening it there was a nice mesoscale disturbance with nice high-based Cb with mammatus, low level virga followed by rain and thunder. I think maybe it's trying to get me back into an unsettled theme for when I get home!

I think we also may have got a micro tsunami at the beach at around 5 pm as the sea suddenly came up 4 or 5 metres on the beach, causing many to leg it with their things. Anyone know of any tremor off the northwestern Sardinian coast this afternoon? It only lasted around 2 minutes then retreated back to where it was before. The sea had been pretty calm all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭lostinashford

A 4.1 quake recorded 26km WSW of the bay of Naples, depth 427.3km - can't pin down a time but will keep looking

Hold on that was on the 12th - sorry Nothing showing on live map

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

As if yis never saw this website 'round here, but perhaps there might be a solution?

http://www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Su Campu wrote: »
    My last night in Sardinia and I had seen virtually no cloud for 17 days but now this evening it there was a nice mesoscale disturbance with nice high-based Cb with mammatus, low level virga followed by rain and thunder. I think maybe it's trying to get me back into an unsettled theme for when I get home!

I think we also may have got a micro tsunami at the beach at around 5 pm as the sea suddenly came up 4 or 5 metres on the beach, causing many to leg it with their things. Anyone know of any tremor off the northwestern Sardinian coast this afternoon? It only lasted around 2 minutes then retreated back to where it was before. The sea had been pretty calm all day.

Did you find out any more on this after ?

Tomorrow and wednesday still looking good for some thundery activity .

Tomorrow being the SE and East in with a chance but then Wednesday an even more broader chance with some decent LI and Cape as a cold pool of a upper trough moves over the country which will lead to some decent lapes rates , for the east and north.

Shall post charts later to see the comparison with the 6z and 12 z

Interesting 48hrs ahead :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Charts available for anyone here: http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsavneur.html (CAPE and Lifted - just select the one you want).

2moro looks...INTERESTING! :D

-4 LI , near 900j Cape + decent lapse rates! :D

552289_10151106696576718_592308334_n.jpg

CUrrently trying to get a friend to get out and chase this with me! ... Could be some some tornadic cells from these too according to MT. THough havent seen the chart to give this thought yet... but ye.... BRING IT! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Watching the Met radar this evening , you can see the build up of convection as that front moves from west to east ..the land must be warm after this afternoons sun !

213635.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

think i am hearing a few rumbles now...

Although not 100% sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Tomorrow looks interesting for some storms alright.

Updated GFS goes for the prime time to be around mid afternoon

1500hrs or so.

Good CAPE

Rtavn2411.png

ANYONE Chasing 2moro?... Shall of course help pay for petrol , some good banter and that will make it a good day either way!.... Call me on 1-800-LETS GET A TORNADO -200... !..... or... just pm me :) ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Bsal

Looks like the Swords area might be a good spot for tomorrow. Maybe we'll get another whopper like the cell from last week.

pn15-1.gif

pn18.gif

th15-1.gif

A few rolls of thunder and lightning around an hour ago

Few more sparkes now, north Kildare and Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Looking good for some sparks at airport now

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Heavy downpour in South Dublin recently but nary a rumble to be heard. The big downpours seem to be dying out before they reach the southside from looking at ME's radar.

Friend reported thunder and lightning in longford

Thunder and lightning in clondalkin now ,out with the camera..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Take plenty of pics. :)

We're posting in other thread for today's event if you have not seen it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056701332&page=8

Temporarily closing to focus discussion in one thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement