Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Spring/Summer 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Missing out on all the fun....yet again! :mad: Sunny here.
    You didn't miss much here DOCARCH, heavy rain & two rumbles of thunder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Few photos from today's T-storm.
    212591.jpg
    212589.jpg
    212590.jpg
    212592.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭lostinashford

Lightning strike recorded in last 20 minutes around Maynooth

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Lightning strike recorded in last 20 minutes around Maynooth

You sure?... nothing on radar really :(

Looks good for later though if we can get some good surface heat for awhile :)

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭lostinashford

Iancar29 wrote: »
    You sure?... nothing on radar really :(

Looks good for later though if we can get some good surface heat for awhile :)

Showed up on Met Office radar

dd4d827e.jpg

• Advertisement

Showed up on Met Office radar

Ye possibly a glitch , happens every now and again..

South coast of England currently getting some serious echoes and some sferics too! Possible funnels i bet there today.

212724.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

TS forecast for us today;
    UKASF wrote:
    ... SE NORTHERN IRELAND, E IRELAND, N WALES ...

Scattered showers and a few thunderstorms will develop in response to diurnal heating and 500-600J/kg CAPE. Some slight shear may allow cells to become better organised/longer-lived as they cross the Irish Sea later in the afternoon and into North Wales. Given dry air aloft, hail is likely in many showers, with the potential for an event with diameter locally >2.0cm.

Else subsiding diurnal heating and slight ridging will cause showers to rapidly decay during the evening hours.

Yep , hopefully get something out of the showers making their way SE atm...

but ye , that cell off the coast of wicklow is looking nice... id be tampted to hang around howth head/ bray head today as cells go by , the lack of a car is my disadvantage though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭robclay26

Thunder here near trim with a very dark sky!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭robclay26

fr_260.jpg
    The sky West of Trim! pretty dark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Bsal

Beautiful TS just North of Swords right now, 4 strikes in the last 5-10min. Precipitation on the radar at 1800 showing 96mm/hr.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Nasty enough looking cell with some flashes passing just to my east into the sea.

Quite turbulent looking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Nice one all right, plenty of strikes recorded

97602254.png

Knew i heard some thunder from it... ARgh wish i was out at howth!!!!! :'(

Have my camera recording it for a short timelapse of it soon. :)

sky is well carved up but it has lost it's spark as it goes oversea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Can someone help me understand what the heck was going on over Swords-Rush-Lusk area for last 45 mins?

I riding (motorbike) on M1 filtering past thousands of slow moving cars, and it looked as if I was riding towards sci-fi Armageddon - it was a bit like something out of twister. The heavy dark cloud formation looked sinister and then the lightening started. I saw at least 10 different bolts of lightening (with veins?! and everything) across the sky, it was truly like a tropical thunder storm - I am sure some car passenger has got it all on their phone?

And then is started pelting down grape size hailstones. On the bike, moving at 20-30 kmph, even with the thick leather gloves and padded goretex jacket, it was like someone firing bullets at you. And within minutes there was about atleast an inch of water on M1. It continued like that for next 10 minutes or so. It was ridiculously bad - worst situation I have ever been into with a motorbike, or car for that matter. Close to J7/Julianstown exit, it gets brighter and normal again.

Yesterday was similar - heavy rain (not as bad as today though) around Skerries area, and nothing after that. I wonder what cause that area to have such a micro-climate - it's not like there's a huge mountain or lake separating them from rest of Dublin/Meath/Louth?

Serious cloudscape from that cell, pre tornado like!

positron wrote: »
    Can someone help me understand what the heck was going on over Swords-Rush-Lusk area for last 45 mins?

I riding (motorbike) on M1 filtering past thousands of slow moving cars, and it looked as if I was riding towards sci-fi Armageddon - it was a bit like something out of twister. The heavy dark cloud formation looked sinister and then the lightening started. I saw at least 10 different bolts of lightening (with veins?! and everything) across the sky, it was truly like a tropical thunder storm - I am sure some car passenger has got it all on their phone?

And then is started pelting down grape size hailstones. On the bike, moving at 20-30 kmph, even with the thick leather gloves and padded goretex jacket, it was like someone firing bullets at you. And within minutes there was about atleast an inch of water on M1. It continued like that for next 10 minutes or so. It was ridiculously bad - worst situation I have ever been into with a motorbike, or car for that matter. Close to J7/Julianstown exit, it gets brighter and normal again.

Yesterday was similar - heavy rain (not as bad as today though) around Skerries area, and nothing after that. I wonder what cause that area to have such a micro-climate - it's not like there's a huge mountain or lake separating them from rest of Dublin/Meath/Louth?

Thanks a lot for the story! Very intense cell, just watching it move out to sea, serious looking thing, I wish my camera could do it justice.

SOOOOOO angry right now im not out up on Howth Head!!!!

:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Bsal

Some nice looking cells W and N of Dublin airport moving ESE. Might get a few strikes out of them before they cross the coast.

• Advertisement

Another decent cell again to the north

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Wow that cell which passed over the M1 looked impressive on radar. Thanks for the story.

212780.png

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭barnacle

I was out for this too in Laytown. Looking from Laytown down towards Skerries, saw some really impressive lightning I would guess over Gormanston/Balbriggan. Huge forks from halfway to horizon to well inland, with really good branching. Absolutely amazing stuff, never seen anything like it. The thunder was seriously impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Very big Hail then torrential rain Dublin City Centre :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

DominoDub wrote: »
    Very big Hail then torrential rain Dublin City Centre :eek:

Jets starting to punch through large build up now over Dublin airport and another huge anvil to the northwest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

There a mighty long Big Black Beast of a cloud formation running out to sea just north along the Liffey. I am on top floor of an Apartment block in Dublin 2 and feels like I could touch it , also I see the planes from Dublin Airport are aiming for a gap to get past it.

Radar of the "Long Black Beast"

212781.jpg

Some from that cell over Swords that produced all the lightning , which i only saw the SLIGHTEST of a flash and roll of thunder from! :mad::mad:

578892_10151094779421718_1847601628_n.jpg

Birds going mad after a small thunder roll
    http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/313966_10151094779686718_1118971184_n.jpg

A plane coming into land
    http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/563389_10151094779546718_329088638_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

2012-07-11%252020.31.02.jpg
    2012-07-11%252020.31.19.jpg
    2012-07-11%252020.31.33.jpg
    2012-07-11%252020.31.43.jpg

These were looking north, then south as I took my walk along Clontarf seafront this afternoon around 7 o'clock. Its not often I have my phone on me so took a few snaps.

Ok what am I doing wrong here ?

Ok fixed it - hope they're not too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

I was directly under that massive cell around 6pm (Stamullen). Seen around 10-12 inter-cloud lightning. Plenty of thunder, it seemed to last forever, was great!

• Advertisement

Not happy at all with all these amazing lightning stories! .. * shakes fist at you all !! * ha

... And nooo.. i didnt get enough while i was over in the states with disco style lightning!! haha

Anyways , Heres my short video of that cell from my view in Finglas... if only if it had moved more southerly :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement