Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Spring/Summer 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

lee3155 wrote: »
    That looked like part of a tornado! If that was me I would have the window open with me head out it! Lunatics!! Awesome at the same time though :D

Actually i probably would've went out in it for the craic:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

lolie wrote: »
    Actually i probably would've went out in it for the craic:D

Same, I just showed it to my dad and he said, if it was us, we would be on the roof :D He's probably right, we are both nerds when it comes to storms :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭pauldry

A piece of fork lightning appeared to hit my windscreen in co leitrim today. yes there was lightning but if it hit the windscreen would it not smash it. there was about 2 seconds between rumbles and bolts.

went on for about 10 minutes.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

pauldry wrote: »
    A piece of fork lightning appeared to hit my windscreen in co leitrim today. yes there was lightning but if it hit the windscreen would it not smash it. there was about 2 seconds between rumbles and bolts.

went on for about 10 minutes.:eek:

Probably hit the wipers, bonnet, ariel etc..

If it hit anywhere near the windscreen it would be bright and therefore look like it hit the windscreen :D

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭kwik

Here's the video of the lightning strike in Newcastle

Thats class. You need to pause it when the lightning stikes to see how good it really is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

I still can't see it RS :o keep getting this message:

210810.PNG

Ah I wouldn't worry, it's just a still of the tyneside video above.

Maybe i can see it because it is a friend of a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Some amazing footage and photos from yesterday across the Uk .
    Temps hitting 28 degrees and dew points in the low 20s ... US storm recipe!

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/73703-midlands-nothern-england-thunderstormflooding-footage-2862012/

Heres one to ponder on...

Yesterday in France a "split " Supercell produced this crazy horizontal connecting funnel.

I can only imagine it had something to do with collision of updrafts in different directions , one forming a funnel then the other wrapping back up to the other side.

Radar image here... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151059141476318&set=o.129828010420434&type=1&theater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Can anyone tell me if there will be any thunder and lightning tonight or tomorrow for the Kilkenny region? Sorry I know you guy's probably get sick of these questions but reading the thread i've got the craving for some lightning now lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Ravomix

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if there will be any thunder and lightning tonight or tomorrow for the Kilkenny region? Sorry I know you guy's probably get sick of these questions but reading the thread i've got the craving for some lightning now lol.

Theres no chance this weekend i'm afraid.We are back in the usual familar boring Atlantic set up.The drama is over for now,i share your frustration,i am in Tipperary and as usual we didn't get a sausage around here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭stooge

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Heres one to ponder on...

Yesterday in France a "split " Supercell produced this crazy horizontal connecting funnel.

I can only imagine it had something to do with collision of updrafts in different directions , one forming a funnel then the other wrapping back up to the other side.

Radar image here... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151059141476318&set=o.129828010420434&type=1&theater

:eek:
    one of the weirdest things I've seen in terms of weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Nice little satellite animation for yesterday afternoon with sferic overlay. From the UK Met Office.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Risk of further thunderstorms on Tuesday and Wednesday. Tuesday night looks pretty active atm - warm, humid air from the south looks to clash with cooler maritime air from the northwest. Results could be explosive for some:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Just have a read of the Level 3 alert out for SE France, S Germany and W Poland today! Ian, get your ass over there quick!!

[url]Http://www.estofex.org[/url]

* clears drool off desk* .....

Decent helicity , decent 0-1 km shear , micro burst, large hail, derecho , long lived Supercells.... AHhhhhhh GET ME OVER THERE!!!

:'(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

darkman2 wrote: »
    Risk of further thunderstorms on Tuesday and Wednesday. Tuesday night looks pretty active atm - warm, humid air from the south looks to clash with cooler maritime air from the northwest. Results could be explosive for some:cool:

Not looking good for The Stone Roses gig then that night ,,outdoors in the Phoenix Park

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

DominoDub wrote: »
    Not looking good for The Stone Roses gig then that night ,,outdoors in the Phoenix Park

Heavy and thundery rain is expected during Tuesday evening and overnight - having said that it may be that bit showery in nature so there is the chance of dry periods too but it does look wet overall atm. On the positive side very mild.

Rtavn844.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

I was watching a webcam of Stuttgart in southern Germany while talking on Skype to a friend who lives there. Amazing pictures - but the storm seems to have knocked out the feed :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭lostinashford

Fireworks but not here
    5e2436f2.jpg

80's band 'Simple Minds' have a history of bringing big weather to Ireland. Back in '86 their gig at Slane marked the beginning of an exceptionally powerful thundery spell, such as the country has not seen since. Also, though I am not sure which year, they had to either abandon or delay a show in Salthill due to a windstorm.

Jim Kerr, at the off chance that you are reading this, could you please reform 'Simple Minds' as quickly as possible and play a gig here in Ireland sometime soon.. PLEASE! :D

One of their classics:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vhhTvcLoRw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

80's band 'Simple Minds' have a history of bringing big weather to Ireland. Back in '86 their gig at Slane marked the beginning of an exceptionally powerful thundery spell, such as the country has not seen since. Also, though I am not sure which year, they had to either abandon or delay a show in Salthill due to a windstorm.

Jim Kerr, at the off chance that you are reading this, could you please reform 'Simple Minds' as quickly as possible and play a gig here in Ireland sometime soon.. PLEASE! :D

One of their classics:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vhhTvcLoRw

Simple Minds never broke up! They played the Olympia on the 4th March 2012. See here. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056567911
    They have played many gigs in Ireland since 28th June 1986 . Ah! we were only lads back then.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Stone roses is on Thursday?

The phoenix park is struggling to handle all the recent rain. So it will be messy either way.

bmm wrote: »
    Simple Minds never broke up! They played the Olympia on the 4th March 2012.

Followed soon after by one of the warmest March spells on record! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Getting very heavy showers in the Limerick area. I was thinking that thunder might be turning up this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

are we still on for a bit of thunder tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭thomasj

We've had two serious deluges in Dublin city centre this morning. Extremely heavy. Thought we might have got some thunder out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Had a bit of a downpour in Dublin 9 just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

Cionád wrote: »
    Had a bit of a downpour in Dublin 9 just now.

ugh DCU when it rains is horrible, those huge puddles everywhere, you'd need wellies ! really bad drainage

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Pretty sure I saw a funnel cloud at 16.40 could see circulation in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

It really does look twister like to the west of Dublin airport. All aircraft are currently making an immediate left turn after takeoff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement