Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Spring/Summer 2012

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

jjj6894x wrote: »
    i'm in d8 and it lashed rain during the night for several hours. i was awoken by it, and it went on until at least 8am.

those pictures of douglas are appalling. my heart goes out to those who have been flooded, it's an absolutely horrific thing to happen to one's house or business.
    By "action" I meant thunder and lightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,321 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Does anyone know if there has been lightning in Letterkenny, Donegal in the last day?

our power got tripped out by lightening about 30 mins ago (donegal town)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Harps wrote: »
    A massive storm just showed up from nowhere in northern France as well, rainfall rates off the charts at over 250mm/hr!

Estofex issued yesterday a level 2 warning for the Benelux countries, ok it was close in France and it's heading there way now.

The Benelux region

The nose of the warm low-level air will move into the Benelux countries ahead of the surface cold front. Moisture pooling and diurnal heating will result in CAPE around 2000 J/kg given the elevated mixed layer spreading northward. Additionally, strong vertical wind shear will be in place.

Favorably veering profiles and rather isolated convection in the afternoon hours pose a threat of supercells capable of producing large or very large hail and maybe a tornado. Later in the period, a linear MSC may develop ahead of the cold front. The increasing low-level jet is forecast to increase the potential of severe wind gusts with this MCS that will spread into western Germany. Excessive rain is also not ruled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Getting dark in Cork again

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Getting dark in Cork again

Indeed yes.. not more of last night, please! Just got the dogs settled again

• Advertisement

A good 15mm in under 10 minutes in Dundalk just now, heaviest rain I've ever seen anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Graces7 wrote: »
    Indeed yes.. not more of last night, please! Just got the dogs settled again

Better keep them inside tonight, just incase!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Is their more thunder and torrential rain due for south Ireland tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I had a nice view of the Leicestershire cell from the air earlier and it was pretty impressive. The general setup does indeed look very similar to July 1985, though that produced even more lightning and over much more land area. Well done to those who enjoyed the light show, but of course there are those who have paid dearly for it.

Here in Sardinia there are some Ac castellanus, so I'm hoping they may herald the arrival of something tomorrow. I've only my phone to go on at the moment so it'll be more looking at the sky rather than the radar for something to happen. :lol:

RobitTV wrote: »
    Is their more thunder and torrential rain due for south Ireland tonight?

More torrential rain, not sure about the thunder and lightning though, very rare to see it two nights in a row! However, in Tramore, very windy right now and getting darker again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Still pretty dark with heavy mist in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭kingshankly

It has been absolutely bucketing down for the last 90 minutes here in the north east never seen rain like it

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

lee3155 wrote: »
    Better keep them inside tonight, just incase!

Oh they do not stay out but as collie has a way of barking at every sound, they sleep ( so I can sleep) in a nice dry shed at the back.

Last night collie had just started to destroy the door when I got to them. Please God the thunder stays away tonight although it is deluging again now/

Just seen our landlord; beef and dairy farmer with cattle in the fields around us. I noticed the cattle were gone and thought they had taken them up to the barns. But he told me that the electric fence was struck by lightning and the cattle fled. Half are still missing. "Desperate altogther" says he. So they are all out searching.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Perfect Cone Tornado hits Sleaford area in England. East of Nottingham!

552504_10151065895791718_1123513038_n.jpg

http://www.sleafordstandard.co.uk/news/local/breaking-news-tornado-hits-sleaford-area-video-1-4001325

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Above must be one of the biggest ever seen in Britain. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Getting dark again, not looking good. :cool:

Edit: Yep the rain has begun once again for today, it lightsh at the moment but bound to deteriorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

gbee wrote: »
    Above must be one of the biggest ever seen in Britain. :eek:

There was one in Birmingham a few years ago that was bigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Today so far :D

sfna1v.gif

I'm of course stuck in that little clear area in north Ulster, heard three very distant rumbles coming out of the gym earlier but still nothing here since May 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

sfna1v.gif

I'm of course stuck in that little clear area in north Ulster, heard three very distant rumbles coming out of the gym earlier but still nothing here since May 2011

:eek: still shocked at the fact we got a decent thunderstorm last night. :D

raining again here in cork, so wondering is there more of what we got last night again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Don't think cork will get anything like last night again(don't quote me).
    Here's a brilliant picture from Newcastle, UK.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=393025224089403&set=a.104606599597935.3939.102677056457556&type=1&ref=nf

Working now?

• Advertisement

Don't think cork will get anything like last night again(don't quote me).
    Here's a brilliant picture from Newcastle, UK.
    http://touch.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=393025224089403&id=102677056457556&set=a.104606599597935.3939.102677056457556&__user=1113024880

Can't view that pic :\ Any chance of uploading it later to another site? I'm assuming your on your phone hence the touch version of FaceBook :P

I'm dieing to see some photos of England after seeing the previous ones of the Hailstone some parts had!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Monkaa

sfna1v.gif

wow! Ive havent seen or heard anything :( bar some cool looking clouds this evening (Dublin 18)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

lee3155 wrote: »
    Can't view that pic :\ Any chance of uploading it later to another site? I'm assuming your on your phone hence the touch version of FaceBook :P

I'm dieing to see some photos of England after seeing the previous ones of the Hailstone some parts had!

I fixed it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Here's the video of the lightning strike in Newcastle

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

An eventful 24 hours in Ballincollig, lost internet first, then TV and a really close strike of lightning caused the trip switch to go off , knocking out power to the sockets.

At present some traffic lights are out and phone lines are still out. it is raining again, but not as hard as last night.

Seems relatively quite down here in Tramore now, however will be on the lookout for the night, don't expect any more thunder but I feel the rain will pick up overnight, making it into the early morning.

The wind is still very string though, mother had to take down the washing line a couple of minutes ago, afraid it would blow away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I fixed it.

I still can't see it RS :o keep getting this message:

210810.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭lolie

Few storms brewed up 2day but died out fairly quick. Only seen 1 big fork flash but not on video:mad:
    Some mad videos from england today.
    One from leicestershire, assume its a microburst or maybe a tornado.
    I wouldnt fancy sticking me head out in it though:eek:

The noise from the thunder is brilliant in this one.

lolie wrote: »
    Few storms brewed up 2day but died out fairly quick. Only seen 1 big fork flash but not on video:mad:
    Some mad videos from england today.
    One from leicestershire, assume its a microburst or maybe a tornado.
    I wouldnt fancy sticking me head out in it though:eek:

That looked like the edge of a tornado! If that was me I would have the window open with me head out it! Lunatics!! Awesome at the same time though :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

An eventful 24 hours in Ballincollig, lost internet first, then TV and a really close strike of lightning caused the trip switch to go off , knocking out power to the sockets.

At present some traffic lights are out and phone lines are still out. it is raining again, but not as hard as last night.

our phone line was hit,it won't work if the internet is plugged in and the internet won't work if the phone is plugged in,Is your internet gone altogether?I'm in inishmore

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement