Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Spring/Summer 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

Blue sky and sunshine in Swords. Funny how the weather can be so different only a short distance away. lol. Maybe the thunder might come my way.

Please.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Funny how the weather can be so different only a short distance away.

Tell me about it... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Great mix of Colours when you zoom in on Celbridge on http://www.raintoday.co.uk/#

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Got 2 rumbles on video, some mammatus and some nice structure shots. Shall post this evening after college. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Loud clap of thunder and a flash of Lightning here in Waterford City about 20 mins ago. The main cell stayed to our North unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Latest sferics:

201035.PNG

Seems to be a high concentration over mid Munster region over the last 30 mins. Mick's strike in Waterford showing up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Joe Public

I counted 6 or 7 loud thunder claps before I did this video of the hail storm. The lightning each time seemed to be sheet type or maybe I was looking in the wrong direction. The gap between lightning and thunder each time was less than 3 seconds so it was definitely very close.

Heavy hail in Celbridge

http://youtu.be/MUlkJ0ygr0Q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

Am sw of arklow at the moment-sky is amazing with mamatus. Can hear distant thunder away to the west.
    Can see the anvil of another cell over lugnaquilla to the northheading directly for here.The breeze is directly off the anvil.
    Could be here in 40 mins or less.It looks big and I've heard some very faint long rumbles from it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭lolie

blackius wrote: »
    Am sw of arklow at the moment-sky is amazing with mamatus. Can hear distant thunder away to the west.
    Can see the anvil of another cell over lugnaquilla to the northheading directly for here.The breeze is directly off the anvil.
    Could be here in 40 mins or less.It looks big and I've heard some very faint long rumbles from it already.

Get the camera out fairly lively so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

Its a dying cell,looks very washed out as it nears.It's veered sw aswell. It's cloudspill is covering a very large area.
    Just aswell the ground here is slop still after yesterday's showers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I'm just back in Celbridge, some 3 hours after that thunderstorm. There are still piles of hail along the bases of the walls, etc, and I've just measured some surviving hail stones at up to 12 mm in diameter.

Here's the GFS forecast sounding for here at that time, showing decent SBCAPE and MLCAPE, and equilibrium temperature of below -35 °C - a good combination for hail and thunder. :)

sondagegfs_98_3_3_1.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Hail to the north, anvils to east, twisters to the south and downpours to the west.

7mm of rain in a 7 hour snizzle of total meh here last night (under cover of darkness) :(

Someone here must be spraying the place with weather-repellant. :mad:

VIDEO is 1gb ... gonna take awhile to upload! ha :rolleyes:

So heres my photos form the day . Once again ive been going mad about not having a car to get a great full view shot. But ye... cant wish for everything.

Best Mammatus display ive seen in in ages here.. :)

6945617110_67e5c6a15b.jpg

Towering Cumulonimbus with a nice anvil :)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7223/7091684293_8d2ddd96f9.jpg

The 2nd anvil behind the main thundery cell. :cool:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41948286@N02/7091692515/sizes/m/in/photostream/

More Pics and the hi - res versions here . Enjoy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41948286@N02/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Su Campu wrote: »
    I'm just back in Celbridge, some 3 hours after that thunderstorm. There are still piles of hail along the bases of the walls, etc, and I've just measured some surviving hail stones at up to 12 mm in diameter.

Do you have a photo of a hailstone?
    So I'd know what to look out for?

Some of the old folk here swear they saw one in June 1978......

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Short Time lapse i shot Wednesday evening in Waterford City looking East. Plenty of shower activity plus a rainbow on view.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Hail to the north, anvils to east, twisters to the south and downpours to the west.

7mm of rain in a 7 hour snizzle of total meh here last night (under cover of darkness) :(

Someone here must be spraying the place with weather-repellant. :mad:
    Likewise. It's like the weather's teasing me recently. The Cb today basically gave me the finger as it passed agonisingly around my place in Belfield.

My video from earlier. Plane reports being hit by the lightning strike which my camera just about picks up the thunder from 4 mins onwards.

Enjoy

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Radar showing a band/trough of showers over the Irish Sea atm moving towards the east coast - should/might reach the coast maybe by 8.00 or 8.30.

Some nice bubbling up action around the Atlone area. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭lolie

Pic or 2 from yesterday.
    Some big showers built up but broke up as they went overhead:mad:

201128.jpg

Some nice convection in the evening in the distance over north meath.
    201130.JPG

• Advertisement

Sferics just south of Mullingar ... Anyone there?! :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Hopefully we don't get a repeat of yesterday with everything slipping south to the west of Dublin! :rolleyes: I am hoping showers building over Fermanagh have 'our' name on them! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Netweather picking up those seferics now. Hope there's more to come. http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=lightning;sess=

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Some fantastic cloud structures here atm...Looks very promising:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

I can't believe I have to go to work when things are getting interesting :mad:

Great convection around today with Cumulonimbus clouds filling the skies in all directions. Just had a brief Hail shower but no thunder. That little bit of extra heat is helping with convection.

Sferic over Waterford City... radar not picking up any strong echoes in that direction though :/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Mate just texted me one big belt of Thunder over Wexford Town about 10 mins ago, Sun out now !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I think tomorrow is the day for storms in the south and east.

Some good CAPE tomorrow, be interested to see what the 12z shows :D

My initial thoughts would be some storms particularly in the southeast

• Advertisement

PLease say someone has a nice shot of that cell that produced numerous sferics over mullingar?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement