Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Spring/Summer 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Its basically what it comes from , severe storm , low eleveated clouds , that would be a tornadic one.

But todays seemed to be the "fair weather " one.

Is would have thought it was tornadic considering it did form in what was a relatively severe thunderstorm for Ireland. Thunder and lightening can be heard and seen in the video as well as relatively large hail being reported.

I now have feeling of dread when delve you into something which just continually gets exponentially more complicated. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tornando9

We have been looking at the charts for today and the deep layer shear was off the scale for this morning. Lower layer shear was non existant. This looks like an area of instability moved down from Scotland the heat of the Irish sea triggered the instabilty to form towering cumulus. The updraft hit the high level shear and hay presto you have a sheared thunderstorm which stops the updraft being swamped by the downdraft.

Due to the high Shear we got an area of rotation which tightened up into the funnel/spout. Still alot being discussed but we'll have a report done soon. Most of you know where it'll be posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Just been a piece about it on the RTE news. It was a waterspout alright according to Siobhan Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

You can also have a snow spout too! ha

Indeed, and in Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 IrishGeordie

Goodbye summer!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Nothing here except lovely sunshine!

But it's very cold for mid April - despite continuous sunshine since midday the temp maxed at 8.5c and there was a bitter NE wind (gusting 45kph) when that afternoon shower hit Bray.

I guess we were affected by it's suckage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Tornando9 wrote: »
    We have been looking at the charts for today and the deep layer shear was off the scale for this morning. Lower layer shear was non existant. This looks like an area of instability moved down from Scotland the heat of the Irish sea triggered the instabilty to form towering cumulus. The updraft hit the high level shear and hay presto you have a sheared thunderstorm which stops the updraft being swamped by the downdraft.

Due to the high Shear we got an area of rotation which tightened up into the funnel/spout. Still alot being discussed but we'll have a report done soon. Most of you know where it'll be posted.

I totally disagree about the deep layer shear being off the scale. It was around 20-30 kts 1-8 km and similar 0-6 km, which is pretty benign when talking about severe thunderstorms. These are the Hirlam analysis for 12Z, but it was a very similar picture when I checked the 06Z analysis earlier. Ireland was in one of the lowest DLS areas.

200470.png

200471.PNG

0-2 km CAPE was high, running 75-100 J/kg in the Irish Sea at that time, again not quite shown in the 12Z analysis, but we can see the purple spout index values along the east coast, which were more numerous at 06Z, all indicating strong low level updraft potential and hence spout possibilities.

Casement were reporting 3/8 Cb at 2,000 ft, 3/8 Sc at 6,000 ft at the time, and as Bray was nearer to the thunderstorm area, LCLs were probably lower there, and I would estimate 1,500 - 1,800 ft from the video.

Su Campu wrote: »
    I totally disagree about the deep layer shear being off the scale.

GFS hires 06Z had between 45-50 knots which is at the limits of their scale. I never mentioned severe thunderstorm in my post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

GFS hires 06Z had between 45-50 knots which is at the limits of their scale. I never mentioned severe thunderstorm in my post.

Where was it getting that from? Here's a GFS analysis sounding for Bray for 06Z, showing pretty much no shear.

200475.gif

200476.PNG

Su Campu wrote: »
    Where was it getting that from? Here's a GFS analysis sounding for Bray for 06Z, showing pretty much no shear.

No idea where they got it from. The DLS chart on netweather hires for the 06z had an elongated area around the Irish sea showing 45-50kts of shear.

Stick a giraffe in front of me i'll tell you its a giraffe stick a DLS shear chart in front of me i'll tell you what value i see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

6z Run for 12UTC

200483.png

Id like to see Met Eireann give there detailed account on there bulletin .

stick a DLS shear chart in front of me i'll tell you what value i see.

Stick one in front of me and I'll tell you it's maybe a butterfly...wait...no...a giraffe having sex. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭lostinashford

The shear happened? Where it came from or whether it was recorded seems pointless at this stage - there were no instruments recording at the site so I my view it was just weather - at its best:D

Missed the RTE weather, please tell me Jean didn't do the weather, can only imagine what she would have been wearing:)

6z Run for 12UTC

200483.png

Id like to see Met Eireann give there detailed account on there bulletin .

This is the chart i looked at earlier thanks Ian. I should have paid more attention to the numbers and not the colours. My mistake.

Still decent shear in that chart though. Nothing spectacular but if that was over land i'd be on the watch for funnels.

Missed the RTE weather, please tell me Jean didn't do the weather, can only imagine what she would have been wearing:)

The comment that springs to mind would earn a sanction! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Wild Bill wrote: »
    The comment that springs to mind would earn a sanction! :D

If she was younger, it might have been worth it. In light of the weather reported, I say she wore a sheer underdress with figure sculptured seethrough sprout effect overdress tightening suggestively to just below the knee, you know the way mermaids are depicted, like that without the tail part, and shimmering in the studio lights against the underdress to give an illusion of fluidity and a suggestion .... which I'll leave the rest to fill in.

gbee wrote: »
    If she was younger, it might have been worth it.

At my age she is younger :rolleyes:

gbee wrote: »
    If she was younger, it might have been worth it. In light of the weather reported, I say she wore a sheer underdress with figure sculptured seethrough sprout effect overdress tightening suggestively to just below the knee, you know the way mermaids are depicted, like that without the tail part, and shimmering in the studio lights against the underdress to give an illusion of fluidity and a suggestion .... which I'll leave the rest to fill in.

Stop, what do u do for a living, write headlines for the Star - I've nothing to fill in after that description :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Wild Bill wrote: »
    At my age she is younger :rolleyes:

Well then you were right not to post your thoughts. BTW, to my eyes she looks like a confirmation girl. But I've seen her photos in the Met Office and so on.

You know the way she looks at you and nods when thunder is in the air.

• Advertisement

Stop, what do u do for a living, write headlines for the Star - I've nothing to fill in after that description :D:D:D:D

I don't wish to get banned for back-seat moderation; but we are straying from Thunderstorm/Convective watching!

And 'twill surely annoy the serious modeller/watchers.

(I'd go to the "after hours" forum if I wasn't already banned :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

your right about annoying the model watchers although Jeans a top model

Here is the chart for around the time the spout was formed. Slightly more shear than the 12Z chart.

di-3UEV.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Chance of a few sparks tomorrow maybe?

ukcapeli.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Cracking hail shower in Waterford at the moment :D

Looks... interesting....

200820.png

Dublin air traffic ... a bit hectic at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Just got hit by the most ferocious hail shower I've seen for a few years in these parts:eek::cool:

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Just got hit by the most ferocious hail shower I've seen for a few years in these parts:eek::cool:

I can see some impressive towers going up in that direction :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Looks... interesting....

200820.png

I was just to the south of that intense shower. Got side swiped by it and did notice a distinctive hook on the radar. Video camera is recording all day in order to make a timelapse later so will see later if rotation was visible. I've about 3 hours of hard disc space left....at 30gigs per hour!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement