Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1: Round 01 - Australian GP

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

He's such a jammy git. Maybe in the next race he won't be gifted such positions.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

delighted he got hammy that way just another way to sicken the twat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

crap like that annoys me, either bring back refueling or force teams to use a minimum quantity that is enough to race full bore the whole time

It's up to teams to design their cars with tanks big enough for the required fuel loads. Its also up to the teams to calculate the fuel needed per lap and for the race based on figures from practice and qualifying.
    McLaren have a tendency to run very close to the limit but seeing as they won the race its pretty clear that they made the right call. I wouldnt read too much into any statement that says "we nearly ran dry" or anything like that. Button might have been in fuel save mode for most of the race but that could just mean short shifting at certain points of the track. If you look at most forms of racing when drivers are less aggressive and short shifting it can actually benefit them and let them set faster times for a stint because their tyres are in better shape etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

both Button and Hamilton had to slow down to the lap delta given when the safety car came out, regardless of where they were. so Vettle was able to do a full flying laps while Hamilton in the pits but Hamilton was not able to do a flying lap whiule Vettle was pitted and hence Vettle gained a load of time on him

From what I heard it was extra jammy.
    You have to slow down to the deltas but they are only per sector.
    So as he was pitting and it would be measured at the start finish line and he was in the last sector he could go pretty much full pace as he would hit the 60km pit limit before crossing the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

dloob wrote: »
    From what I heard it was extra jammy.
    You have to slow down to the deltas but they are only per sector.
    So as he was pitting and it would be measured at the start finish line and he was in the last sector he could go pretty much full pace as he would hit the 60km pit limit before crossing the line.

he definitely wasn't going full pace for the last sector he only started accelerating as he passed the safety car line entering the pit lane don't forget he was only 1.6 seconds behind Hamilton before the stop as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Grim. wrote: »
    he definitely wasn't going full pace for the last sector he only started accelerating as he passed the safety car line entering the pit lane don't forget he was only 1.6 seconds behind Hamilton before the stop as well

Yes I since found out there is a delta to the safety car line too and he made up the time between there and pit lane limit.

I was going by what Garry Anderson said about going flat in the last sector, what was I thinking. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Morricone

PJTierney wrote: »

My love for Kimi just increased even more after listening to that. The man is absolutely hilarious!!

WHY THE DRS NO WORKING????

WHY DO I GET ALL THE TIME BLUE FLAGS!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

Kimi rage is the best rage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

frostie500 wrote: »
    It's up to teams to design their cars with tanks big enough for the required fuel loads. Its also up to the teams to calculate the fuel needed per lap and for the race based on figures from practice and qualifying.
    McLaren have a tendency to run very close to the limit but seeing as they won the race its pretty clear that they made the right call. I wouldnt read too much into any statement that says "we nearly ran dry" or anything like that. Button might have been in fuel save mode for most of the race but that could just mean short shifting at certain points of the track. If you look at most forms of racing when drivers are less aggressive and short shifting it can actually benefit them and let them set faster times for a stint because their tyres are in better shape etc.

No single team runs with a full fuel load, they will always factor in a few laps of just cruising and a few laps at full tilt.
    The less weight you carry off the starting line, the better.
    If a car was fully fueled for the whole race at full tilt, he would be left for dead of the line.
    I'd prefer if refueling came back, it was part of the strategy and cars weren't soggy barges off the line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

No single team runs with a full fuel load, they will always factor in a few laps of just cruising and a few laps at full tilt.
    The less weight you carry off the starting line, the better.
    If a car was fully fueled for the whole race at full tilt, he would be left for dead of the line.
    I'd prefer if refueling came back, it was part of the strategy and cars weren't soggy barges off the line.

The most fuel they're going to try and go short with is about 10 kilos which would make a difference (in absolute potential speed) of a couple of tenths a lap. The 10 kilos doesn't make that much difference off the line, certainly not to the point of more than maybe one or two places. Just about the entire field cuts it fine so it's not like there's one car penalised off the line anyway.
    I also like how awkward it makes the cars at the start. The on-board stuff is hilarious with how squirmy the cars are. The old way it was just fuel it, put tyres on and bomb around. Strategy was done on computers, the way it is now someone can sacrifice a tenth or two a lap and get far, far longer life out of their tyres if they can drive to them.

Even that 10 kilos thing may be an exaggeration as it would be about 7% of the total fuel load. They can barely save that much in Indycar when running at a couple of seconds a lap off the pace. They can accelerate with less penalty due to less drag but don't get the benefit of drag into the breaking areas so it balances out.

Advertisement