Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1: Round 01 - Australian GP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭rua1972

The coverage on setanta is minimal but only 1 ad break.
    But i enjoyed the race, lots of things happening on the last lap. Shame about Maldonado he was having a good battle with Alonso. The BBC have time enough now to make a nice program for us to watch later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I notice that Brundle and Co. noticed Vettel getting ahead of Hamiltion right away while DC spent 5 minutes going on about how it would hurt Vettel even while we could see him in front of Hamilton. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Good race, looks like it is going to be pretty close up front. I think we will see a lot of different drivers on the podium this year.

Happy enough with Setanta, never watched it before so I thought there would be a tonne of ad breaks. Very abrupt end to the coverage though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

sob1467 wrote: »
    Anyone else watching the race on RTL?
    Yeah I did. A couple of ad breaks apart, it was fine. I didn't bother streaming audio from elsewhere, I had a fair idea what the commentators were saying :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Missed it. Got to see a couple of laps in a service station though! Hopefully I'll catch some highlights later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,070 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

sky trying to copy the bbc format, not as good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

dloob wrote: »
    I notice that Brundle and Co. noticed Vettel getting ahead of Hamiltion right away while DC spent 5 minutes going on about how it would hurt Vettel even while we could see him in front of Hamilton. :rolleyes:
    6 of one really. DC figured out the Raikkonen situation in Qualifying well before SS did!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

sky trying to copy the bbc format, not as good though.
    Well, to be fair, they've a good few former BBC employee's and the format is mostly dictated by FOM. They're just giving us what we want (and making us pay for it).

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ivanc

Penalty for Heikki - Clearly some angry birds on the Stewards panel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

and now im awake watching the delayed coverage.

know all the results anyway. This safety car period is mad...but i did enjoy the sight of a truck tearing around the track...life goal achieved for truck driver.

dont like this rule of back markers overtaking before the SC pulls off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

eldwaro wrote: »
    and now im awake watching the delayed coverage.

know all the results anyway. This safety car period is mad...but i did enjoy the sight of a truck tearing around the track...life goal achieved for truck driver.

dont like this rule of back markers overtaking before the SC pulls off

If they had something like half the laps under the safety car added on at the end I wouldent have any issue with it. With the current setup its just wasting valuable laps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Really enjoyable race... Vettel proved (again) he deserves the plaudits he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

ottostreet wrote: »
    Really enjoyable race... Vettel proved (again) he deserves the plaudits he has.

He drove well but the safety car did most of the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ivanc

eldwaro wrote: »
    .but i did enjoy the sight of a truck tearing around the track

He'll honestly be able to tell his grandkids that he led an F1 Race!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Did anyone else see how Raikkonen made up two places in the last lap?
    He was 9th and suddenly finished 7th out of nowhere.
    There where no shots of him passing and no mention of how he did it (watching repeat on BBC).
    Ben Edwards OK, but I miss the Coulthard/Brundle combo, with those guys you knew that they knew what was going on out there on so many more levels than any other presenter.
    They where rare in that they could comment on a race with actual F1 experience and being able to articulate it.
    Kimi Raikkonen would make an interesting commentator (Hang on, I've go to go for a sh*t):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

There where no shots of him passing and no mention of how he did it (watching repeat on BBC).
    Ben Edwards OK, but I miss the Coulthard/Brundle combo, with those guys you knew that they knew what was going on out there on so many more levels than any other presenter.
    They where rare in that they could comment on a race with actual F1 experience and being able to articulate it.
    Kimi Raikkonen would make an interesting commentator (Hang on, I've go to go for a sh*t):D

Rosberg and Maldonardo retired...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

The power of the ice-cream! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

amacachi wrote: »
    Rosberg and Maldonardo retired...

D'oh!
    Of course they did.
    Paddy's day lag and watching the race in a daze.
    Great opener though, hope the rest will be even better.

Not impressed with Crofty for the race tbh. First time listening to him for one and he's way too over-excitable for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Brilliant start to the season, delighted Vettel didnt have it his way and no finger at the end although Jenson did try to copy it :D Delighted Martin is still doing the grid walk :D I'm liking Sky's coverage so far and my head is all over the place as 4:30am is too early for me :D Bring on Malaysia :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Great first race - delighted for Button although I voted Hamy to win in the comp. Faster circuit next week will see a completely different grid order definitely. Does anyone have a calculator to loan McLaren?!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

astrofluff wrote: »
    Does anyone have a calculator to loan McLaren?!

crap like that annoys me, either bring back refueling or force teams to use a minimum quantity that is enough to race full bore the whole time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

amacachi wrote: »
    Not impressed with Crofty for the race tbh. First time listening to him for one and he's way too over-excitable for me.

He needs to tone it down it a bit imo. Being on radio previously he's used to trying to convey the occasion to people who can't see it. No need to do that for a tv audience,he was a bit 'shouty' for my liking tbh. Can't believe it but i'd almost miss Coulthard.:eek:

Enjoyable race,had it Sky+'d and only got to watching it this evening. Skys coverage was pretty good. Still a few rough edges but it's early days and no doubt will be refined over the coming weeks.

Enjoyable race. Still plenty of questions remaining but lots of incident and talking points.

can someone just confirm the Vettel position change for me during the safety car period? Is it this:

The McLarens did their pitstop before the safety car period occurred, Vettel went through to take the lead, then meanwhile when the safety car came out, Jenson goes over the start/finish line, Vettel comes out of the pits behind Jenson, and Hamilton down the straight just behind Vettel. Or am I completely wrong there?

I just don't get how Vettel could catch up during a Safety car period and jump Hamilton?! or did all of this happy just before the safety car period while Vettel was in the pits??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I think he was actually in 1st when the safety car came out, because the two mclarens had pitted but he hadn't. He then pitted. I'm not sure exactly what happened then, either he just came back out in the gap between the mclarens meaning he actually passed without the aid of the saftey car, or it's possible that he came back out ahead of the safety car with Button trapped behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

Hamilton had to drive much more of the 'slow' lap than vettel did, that is what i thought anyway could be wrong ofc

I just saw a replay of Vettel coming out of the pits at Safety car period...I can't see any McLarens on pit straight - so did he come out ahead or behind Jenson/Hamilton after pit stop No.2?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

I just saw a replay of Vettel coming out of the pits at Safety car period...I can't see any McLarens on pit straight - so did he come out ahead or behind Jenson/Hamilton after pit stop No.2?

button had already gone past and hamilton was only at the start of the strait

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

both Button and Hamilton had to slow down to the lap delta given when the safety car came out, regardless of where they were. so Vettle was able to do a full flying laps while Hamilton in the pits but Hamilton was not able to do a flying lap whiule Vettle was pitted and hence Vettle gained a load of time on him

• Advertisement

crap like that annoys me, either bring back refueling or force teams to use a minimum quantity that is enough to race full bore the whole time
    Why not have a set number of pitstops with windows and all? I'm fine with the rules the way they are, leaves a risk there for the teams that could backfire massively.
    can someone just confirm the Vettel position change for me during the safety car period? Is it this:

The McLarens did their pitstop before the safety car period occurred, Vettel went through to take the lead, then meanwhile when the safety car came out, Jenson goes over the start/finish line, Vettel comes out of the pits behind Jenson, and Hamilton down the straight just behind Vettel. Or am I completely wrong there?

I just don't get how Vettel could catch up during a Safety car period and jump Hamilton?! or did all of this happy just before the safety car period while Vettel was in the pits??

The amount of time spent in the pitlane was equal for both of them. However the whole time Hamilton spent in the pits Vettel was going at full speed. While Vettel was in the pits Hamilton had to do most of a lap at a slower pace than what Vettel did while Hamilton was in the pits

Advertisement