Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the most frustrating thing about being atheist?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Does that include ninja900's one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

how can this be a 5 page thread?! and such a popular forum as well?!

don't believe in god. end of story. what else is there to talk about?!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,351 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Does that include ninja900's one?

Nope, it didn't increment :(

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,351 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's a 13 page thread, and you don't get to decide what is popular or not, tough.

Why is there a Christianity forum? Sure don't you all believe in god and are going to heaven, what's there to talk about? (Obligatory Fr Ted: "It's great being a priest, Ted. We're all going to heaven, wahey!!!!")

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

No matter how hard you try not to you will still say oh god at least once a week.
    When I believed in god, saying "Jesus Christ" in vain was bad.
    Since I don't believe in anything, "jeaaaasus holy (mutha)fúcking christ" is blamed for pretty much everything bad that happens, such as stubbing my big toe at a table leg, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

Spare a thought for us rural dwellers.

I am recently single, and have no interest in football.
    I am vegetarian.
    I am an atheist.

In other words I am considered to be a gay wierdo satanist.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Humans eh! wrote: »

I am vegetarian.
    I am an atheist.

Why would you live in the country!!??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

I am vegetarian.
    I am an atheist.

A vegetarian?

SHUN HIM/HER/IT!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Why do people keep strolling in and asking this question when they could just have a read through some of the forum to see for themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

As far as I can see all those posters referred to people in a certain age group being immature - i.e. use of language ( imaginary friend. etc.) but not to either Hamill, or the "phase of atheism". The phase is clearly the name calling not the atheism.

They are either talking about atheists of a certain age, or people of a certain age. If its the latter, then what the hell does it have to do with this thread?
    Hamill, who likes to use the word moron wherever possible

:confused:
    I not the other hand, I have no problem calling Hamill an example of an immature atheist whatever age he is.

Based on?

• Advertisement

sasser wrote: »
    The it I was referring to was the need to insult others beliefs, I really just don't get it now. As I said, I
    have found I have gotten far more tolerant the older I've gotten. I clearly wasn't claiming anything about atheists in certain age group, the did you read my last post?? Are you deliberately choosing to pick up a meaning that
    isn't there? You sure picked a lot up from a short post.

If you weren't talking about atheists of a certain age group, then why where talking in a thread about aspects of atheism that people find the most frustrating, to a poster who was talking specifically about atheists being intolerant or disrespectful?
    And I still dont see how you aren't accusing someone of going through a phase if they are intolerant or disrespectful because of their age?

The poster was clearly talking about people of a certain age group. In this instance they happen to be atheists

So he was talking about atheists of a certain age, doing something because they were that age? So he was talking about atheists going through a phase? Finally someone gets it and we can move on.
    It doesn't really matter whether you deny it or not, because it doesn't alter what happened. The people in question weren't atheists. They were Protestants. They were going through a phase, and not a "Protestant" phase either.

Ok being told you are going through a phase is not atheist specific (I've never said it was) but it was levelled at me in terms of my atheism.
    I've never been told I was going through a phase in real life, but on this forum two people implied I was going through a phase as an atheist. Can we move on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I am vegetarian.
    I am an atheist.

Ugh. Vegetarianism. The worst religion of them all and they only have one rule!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭sasser

So he was talking about atheists of a certain age, doing something because they were that age? So he was talking about atheists going through a phase? Finally someone gets it and we can move on.

Ok being told you are going through a phase is not atheist specific (I've never said it was) but it was levelled at me in terms of my atheism.
    I've never been told I was going through a phase in real life, but on this forum two people implied I was going through a phase as an atheist. Can we move on?

Actually it's she. And don't be so arrogant or ignorant to tell me what I was saying when it's simply not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭sasser

If you weren't talking about atheists of a certain age group, then why where talking in a thread about aspects of atheism that people find the most frustrating, to a poster who was talking specifically about atheists being intolerant or disrespectful?
    And I still dont see how you aren't accusing someone of going through a phase if they are intolerant or disrespectful because of their age?

But I wasn't targeting a sepcific age group, you are being obtuse at this stage

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

robindch wrote: »
    Boys and girls, can we move on please from this splendid "I said/you said/didn't/did/didn't/did so" debate?
    The next poster who starts moaning about things that a previous poster said, or might have said, or said something that might have meant, or said something that was the second cousin of something that might have had some offensive meaning in a parallel universe, will be carded.

This is one of your moderators speaking and that is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Irish_wolf

The hours are crap and the pay definitely isn't enough for the amount of work I put in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,341 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

To be honest, I wouldn't really have said I'm an atheist until recently enough and even then, I don't really harp on about it. I'm not big on labels or interested in making a big deal about it. I remember refusing to go to mass when in the scouts and tantrum type response from leaders, adults can be rather silly, at times. I wouldn't have even said I was an atheist then, more just growing out of the whole religion thing.

More recently, we're clearly seeing a big push back against 'attacks' on Catholicism and that if you are seen to question it in any way you're automatically labelled as being 'anti'. The same crap goes on in American political discourse and debates about America. Are there genuine cases of people actually attacking, well, yes, of course, but I suspect most people are not anti-Catholic...they are simply skeptical. I'm not out to undermine Catholicism. I just want an honest debate about its place in this country, from the stats/census level upwards and in schools.

Oh, and as for respect, I respect your right to hold whatever beliefs, but not necessarily the content of them. I'd expect the same in return.

Advertisement