Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the most frustrating thing about being atheist?

Options
  • 12-03-2012 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭

For me its people thinking "Ah you're just being trendy" and not understanding or being a bit baffled when you explain why you didn't marry in a church, won't baptist your child and won't be getting involved in communion/confirmation. It is like they can't understand that I've thought long and deeply about what being a Catholic involves, such as the eating of the host, the sins, the nonsense of confession, the infallibility of the pope and, oh, not really believing in a higher power, and decided this was not for me.

What's frustrating about atheism for you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

lazygal wrote: »
    For me its people thinking "Ah you're just being trendy" and not understanding or being a bit baffled when you explain why you didn't marry in a church, won't baptist your child and won't be getting involved in communion/confirmation. It is like they can't understand that I've thought long and deeply about what being a Catholic involves, such as the eating of the host, the sins, the nonsense of confession, the infallibility of the pope and, oh, not really believing in a higher power, and decided this was not for me.

Not sure if frustrating is the correct term, but the lack of useless and worthless platitudes can sometimes be difficult, when dealing with someone that has lost a loved one, for example.

I also find it frustrating that, even in the UK, I need to be careful who I mention my atheism to and what I say about religion.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

When having sex the atheist have No one to shout at they cant go "oh god" maybe the say . Oh my there is no higher being !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

The absence of a belief in a Deity that will give me eternal life....say what you want about theism but it can be a great source of comfort and a real time saver too when thinking about the 'big' questions which are ordinarily unanswerable.

This might read as a smart ass answer as you seem more focused on the frustration of dealing with other people's attitudes. The solution to that problem is don't engage in debates if you don't think they are capable of a reasonable discussion. There are polite ways of avoiding getting into the whole atheism debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

I think that since Catholicism is now largely cultural - and has been for some people for generations, most people would think you are being a bit precious. Lots of non-believers have participated in Baptism etc throughout the ages. As for confirmation, and communion. Both are rites of passage for youngsters, I think communion is horrible.( Dressing girls up in white?) but confirmation is like a Bar Mitzvah, celebrating puberty. Until secularism has something similar the kids would be left out. Possibly schools should do a secular and church "confirmation" where the secular kids do something else outside, or before, the Church, I dunno. It would need a Quorum.

As for transubstantiation, its a pretty clever theory -- all told.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Dealing with the realities of living in a non secular country.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Being right in the company of people with opposite opinions who are also right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Losing respect for 'believers' as they tell you through glassy eyes about how wonderful god is. They could have lost someone close, a limb or be living a tortured existence, but god is good. :confused:

You have to weigh up whether you want to laugh in their face and ask them if they are serious or maybe just smile and nod hoping the topic isn't broached again.

I suppose the lie gets them through the day, but it's still a lie.

Oh yeah. Watching church-goers being duped and believing in magic can be a little surreal and cause a person to lose faith hope in humanity. Just look at the flock of suckers that go to Christina Gallagher's church to buy her old bricks and cuttings of old carpet. Hitchens wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭swiftblade

People who don't know what secularism actually is, or have a werid notion of what it is. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

The inevitable assumptions that come with using the word "atheist".

No. I'm not going through a phase (I'm in my twenties FFS!).
    No. I don't think I'm better than you.
    No. I'm not being closed-minded.
    No. I don't think life is all one big waste of time.
    No. I didn't have a traumatic experience.

And so on and so forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Shaving is tricky. Damn lack of reflection :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,404 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Living in a non-secular country and having to listen to everyone presume everyone else in the country is Catholic too, and not taking atheism seriously.

I remember a few years ago, my father simply could not understand that they served meat in the college canteen on Ash Wednesday. Even when I explained the large number of Asian, European and simply non-Catholic students in the college, he couldn't understand that an Irish college (as in, college located in Ireland) served meat on Ash Wednesday.

Or regular comments from people who know I'm an atheist about not going to Mass on days like Good Friday or Christmas. They seem to think atheist = lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

It's a trick question! There is no mass on Good Friday!

Losing respect for 'believers' as they tell you through glassy eyes about how wonderful god is. They could have lost someone close, a limb or be living a tortured existence, but god is good. :confused:

You have to weigh up whether you want to laugh in their face...

Really?

Penn wrote: »
    Living in a non-secular country and having to listen to everyone presume everyone else in the country is Catholic too, and not taking atheism seriously.

I remember a few years ago, my father simply could not understand that they served meat in the college canteen on Ash Wednesday. Even when I explained the large number of Asian, European and simply non-Catholic students in the college, he couldn't understand that an Irish college (as in, college located in Ireland) served meat on Ash Wednesday.

Or regular comments from people who know I'm an atheist about not going to Mass on days like Good Friday or Christmas. They seem to think atheist = lazy.

The number of church goers is dropping like a stone in Ireland, in the UK it is insignificant statistically. Who, in their twenties, goes to mass on a Sunday?

From here

“Many outside of Ireland still believe that Ireland is a bastion of traditional Catholicism, they are surprised to discover that there are parishes in Dublin where the presence at Sunday Mass is some 5% of the Catholic population and, in some cases, even below 2%. On any particular Sunday about 18% of the Catholic population in the Archdiocese of Dublin attends Mass”

And that I think is what somewhat amuses me about modern Atheists. A dying religion believed by an ever smaller and ageing group, and the modern Atheist is apparently batting off uncomfortable questions left right and centre about his lack of Church attendance. Its common.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

And that I think is what somewhat amuses me about modern Atheists. A dying religion believed by an ever smaller and ageing group, and the modern Atheist is apparently batting off uncomfortable questions left right and centre about his lack of Church attendance. Its common.

It's a strange one alright. From personal experience it's the 'ala carte' Catholics who question my atheism the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Galvasean wrote: »
    It's a strange one alright. From personal experience it's the 'ala carte' Catholics who question my atheism the most.

I have found this so true. The real faithful think its respectful that people like me have opted out. Then you have my parents who would never go to mass or observe or believe any of the teachings for about 15 years now who are quizzing me on why we've decided not to christen our child and what will we do when communion time comes around.

If I was truly a believer, people like them would annoy me far more than people who've thought the decision to leave the faith through.

• Site Banned Posts: 104 ✭✭Readyhed

Being told "I'll pray for you"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Catholic politicians lobbying the government is the most frustrating thing for me. The thing is, most sensible Catholics (or christians) can even see why we should be secular.
    And it's so hard to find fresh baby meat these days.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Hearing people people who break half the rules of Catholicism (Pre-marital sex, artificial contraception etc), who go to mass once or twice a year, who abhor homophobia and are horrified by the sex scandals of the church insist that they are Catholic.

The mind boggles.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Hearing people people who break half the rules of Catholicism (Pre-marital sex, artificial contraception etc), who go to mass once or twice a year, who abhor homophobia and are horrified by the sex scandals of the church insist that they are Catholic.

The mind boggles.

This

Plus "How do you know that about the bible/religion/church practices etc if you are an atheist"?
    (Pssssssst. Its called 'an informed decision)

• Site Banned Posts: 104 ✭✭Readyhed

Maybe You are a "non Practicising Atheist"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

I'm in my 30's now and been an atheist since primary school (was dragged down the aisle for my confirmation and told the bishop I didn't believe a word he said and this was all nonsense and got a wallop over the head from my sponsor) - my school was very harsh catholic one which made me question quite a lot but gave me the answers I needed to be brave and walk away from religion

I think what I find the hardest is how excluded you feel as even in Ireland of today most community activities happen around the church, also its hard to find like minded people in my area who understand why I didnt baptise my child or why my partner and I are not married.

I am a vegetarian for my own personal reasons just like I am an atheist for my own personal reasons but I do find too many people with the same lifestyle choices as me tend to feel they have the right to force these lifestyles on others which is exactly what religious organisations do with their beliefs, so I find that extremely frustrating

sorry if offended by the last paragraph but if you are then your one of those who do it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

The constant hunger for baby flesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

People managing to agree and disagree with me in the same sentence. eg. "Of course all God's children are created equal, but gay's shouldn't marry".

Or "Religion is important, no... not those bits, the love your neighbour bit". :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I wouldn't call it frustrating as such, but the most common mini annoyance for me is when people assume you are catholic or at the very least christian. I personally don't bother telling anyone my religious beliefs untill they assume im a catholic. Even then i normally just say i'm not catholic and you can see the gears working behind their eyes, some probe further "protestant?" No. "Oh!:confused::confused:" I usually put them out of their curious misery around there!:)

It's not as bad as it used to be, there was a time when saying you were an atheist was similar to saying you were a satanist!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The trouble religious people have just accepting a simple point becomes an endless parade of "You might be right, you might be wrong" and similar ****.

My parents make a show of telling me they'll light a candle for me whenever I mention something big like a deadline or competition coming up, as if a candle burning down 150 miles away will have any bearing on what happens to me in the near future. And then the "I know you don't believe in it, but sure it MIGHT help..." defense comes in.

Bah. So much fence-sitting. It is quite vexing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Sarky wrote: »
    The trouble religious people have just accepting a simple point becomes an endless parade of "You might be right, you might be wrong" and similar ****.

My parents make a show of telling me they'll light a candle for me whenever I mention something big like a deadline or competition coming up, as if a candle burning down 150 miles away will have any bearing on what happens to me in the near future. And then the "I know you don't believe in it, but sure it MIGHT help..." defense comes in.

Bah. So much fence-sitting. It is quite vexing.
    Why have that argument? If lighting a candle makes your mum feel like she's helping you, let her. Choose your battles, especially with family.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I wouldn't call it frustrating as such, but the most common mini annoyance for me is when people assume you are catholic or at the very least christian. I personally don't bother telling anyone my religious beliefs untill they assume im a catholic. Even then i normally just say i'm not catholic and you can see the gears working behind their eyes, some probe further "protestant?" No. "Oh!:confused::confused:" I usually put them out of their curious misery around there!:)

It's not as bad as it used to be, there was a time when saying you were an atheist was similar to saying you were a satanist!!

I used to take immense delight from telling people my girlfriend of the time was the daughter of a priest.

Everyone just assumed it was a Catholic priest and the look of shock was gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Being better than everyone else, kinda like a god...I mean...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

mikhail wrote: »
    Why have that argument? If lighting a candle makes your mum feel like she's helping you, let her. Choose your battles, especially with family.

Well sometimes, especially with family (mine are also non religious so it's not specific to this issue) a line in the sand needs to be drawn.

Give the feckers an inch and they'll take an astronomical unit.

My gripe is priests or other religious people waffling on the radio or TV and not having their nonsense corrected by the host. I end up bouncing around my car in a rage shouting "THATS ABSOLUTE BOLLOCKS! WHAT THE F*** ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!?".

Oh, and religious people whining about not respecting their beliefs... well it's not as if we're burning them at the stake.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »
    Well sometimes, especially with family (mine are also non religious so it's not specific to this issue) a line in the sand needs to be drawn.

Give the feckers an inch and they'll take an astronomical unit.

My gripe is priests or other religious people waffling on the radio or TV and not having their nonsense corrected by the host. I end up bouncing around my car in a rage shouting "THATS ABSOLUTE BOLLOCKS! WHAT THE F*** ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!?".

Oh, and religious people whining about not respecting their beliefs... well it's not as if we're burning them at the stake.:rolleyes:

There seems to be a modern atheist belief that the only crimes in history are religious, and religious people were not ever persecuted ( i.e. in Stalinism, Maoism, Tibet etc.). They were. In Tibet, they are. So the last sentence is not an argument.

There are plenty of people on the radio I find to be talking waffle, most people in fact. Point two, not an argument ( not specific to being an atheist).

lastly, you modern atheists need to actually stop acting like spoilt kids. Recently, I was in a room with girls, I work with, who talked nonsense about psychics and I kept my mouth shut. Physics are frauds, but nobody likes a smart arse. If a religious person is whinging about gays, butt in, if they are lighting a candle for the dead granny, and you think (rightly) that that candles won't work, you really need to shut up on that belief.

Advertisement