Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"no Irish " ad in Oz

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Xavi6 wrote: »
    So if he doesn't want Irish people he should just let them apply, show up for an interview, get their hopes up then reject them?

Better to keep your mouth shut and let the world think you're a racist, than to open your mouth and prove it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Seems my post was misconstrued. I read the first few pages and seen some people pointing out that there seems to be a problem with immigrants going to Australia. I didn't mean Irish people. Apologies if I didn't make it more clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Dudess wrote: »
    He shouldn't say it on the sign in the first place. And I'm sure you'd agree if you were an Irishman not interested in acting the twat but just looking for a job.

So if he doesn't want Irish people he should just let them apply, show up for an interview, get their hopes up then reject them?
    You're jumping ahead - I'm saying: don't put up such a sign; interview people, and recruit based on interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Seems my post was misconstrued. I read the first few pages and seen some people pointing out that there seems to be a problem with immigrants going to Australia. I didn't mean Irish people. Apologies if I didn't make it more clear.

Nice back-peddling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

The guy was a fool to write the ad the way he did. Not only does he look like a racist bigot, but it allows everyone else to jump on the 'all Aussies are racist' bandwagon.

It is one guy, and one ad, let's keep it in perspective. The fact there is such an outcry is because it has been the first of its kind, no?

I am sure he is regretting being such a fool, regardless of whether he will ever admit it :D

• Advertisement

The guy was a fool to write the ad the way he did. Not only does he look like a racist bigot, but it allows everyone else to jump on the 'all Aussies are racist' bandwagon.

It is one guy, and one ad, let's keep it in perspective. The fact there is such an outcry is because it has been the first of its kind, no?

I am sure he is regretting being such a fool, regardless of whether he will ever admit it :D

I don't think anyone in the thread has suggested that 'all Aussies are racist' because of this. However, it's the 21st Century, this kind of thing has no place in modern society and we are allowed to be critical of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

You're jumping ahead - I'm saying: don't put up such a sign; interview people, and recruit based on interview.

Considering the amount of people he will most likely have interested in the job he probably doesn't want to waste his time finding (in his opinion) the one good apple amongst all the bad ones.

I get why there's internet outrage here, Irish people are good at shouting from the rooftops about things that offend them, but it's still his business to do with what he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Oz has massize problems with racisim in particular their treatment of the native aborigines. They have a long way to go. Like south africa oz seems to have an ingrained racisim.

karma_ wrote: »
    I don't think anyone in the thread has suggested that 'all Aussies are racist' because of this. However, it's the 21st Century, this kind of thing has no place in modern society and we are allowed to be critical of it.

No, you are right - there is no place for this sort of behaviour - but it is one fool's ad, ONE.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Oz has massize problems with racisim in particular their treatment of the native aborigines. They have a long way to go. Like south africa oz seems to have an ingrained racisim.

Some do - plenty don't.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

He doesn't want Irish. If he didn't state as much he'd have a load of irish coming to the interview that had no hope of getting the job.

So it saves time for everyone, fairdincome I say to him.

The funny thing is this will blow over in a few dyas, if he said "NO BLACKS" every hippie dogooder pro-palestine muppet would be out in arms for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Considering the amount of people he will most likely have interested in the job he probably doesn't want to waste his time finding (in his opinion) the one good apple amongst all the bad ones.

I get why there's internet outrage here, Irish people are good at shouting from the rooftops about things that offend them, but it's still his business to do with what he wants.

That's simply incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Bit dismissive to call it internet outrage, and I presume your "Irish people are good at" whatever doesn't apply to you, even though you're also Irish.
    It's a discussion forum, an incident of discrimination against Irish people is being discussed as is fitting with the medium. Irish people aren't unreasonable for finding this objectionable. And you've obviously missed the significant number of simpering "Oh yeah it's fine to discriminate against Irish people" comments - from Irish people.

I get why there's internet outrage here, Irish people are good at shouting from the rooftops about things that offend them

Every nationality would be insulted at such an advert. We have a right to express disgust, without being patronised.
    , but it's still his business to do with what he wants.

Actually - it isn't. Australia's Racial Discrimination Act of 1975 states that he does not have the right to do with it what he wants, when it comes to pre-judging someone for employment.

Thas the sort of attitude that resulted in the real austrailians being discriminated against when it came to jobs. The exact same line was given my business ect ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

bwatson wrote: »
    What's your point?

Granted, his views are unpleasant and more than likely the result of a lack of awareness but what you appear to be suggesting looks a whole lot worse to me.

What are you hoping to achieve through posting all of his details - reprisals? You want the outraged Irish to bombard the man and his family with emails and telephone calls so he knows just how much you know of him and just how much you dislike him? You would get a kick out of intimidating and frightening not just a man you take issue with but also his loved ones?

For you to take up a position of moral outrage on this is laughable considering the insight into your character you are affording us with your posts.
    Northern loyalist from the most racist place on earth defends racist shocker.

Some do - plenty don't.

True but it would be far to say that the country is up there for government backed discrimination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

Damn it, the ad was removed when I looked a minute ago, ah well I'll just have to be morally outraged anyway. Personally I'd rather our hard drinking Gaa idiots were exported, less of them here then. I've noticed some of my neighbours offspring who are in their mid 20's taking off to Australia and America for a few months of getting wasted(Job hunting) then back home again to mommy and daddy to get pissed on the dole money at weekends.

That's simply incorrect.

Ultimately it's not, he doesn't have to hire an Irish person if he doesn't want to.
    Bit dismissive to call it internet outrage, and I presume your "Irish people are good at" whatever doesn't apply to you, even though you're also Irish.
    It's a discussion forum, an incident of discrimination against Irish people is being discussed as is fitting with the medium. Irish people aren't unreasonable for finding this objectionable. And you've obviously missed the significant number of simpering "Oh yeah it's fine to discriminate against Irish people" comments - from Irish people.

What else is it then? As I said already, it's one bloke on the other side of the world. It's not going to be 'knock on the door' outrage is it? :confused:

And I never said I had a problem with it being discussed because that falls under the remit of what I said - Irish people are good at shouting from the rooftops about things that offend them. Case in point right here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Learn what political correctness means.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_correctness

Problem?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Ultimately it's not, he doesn't have to hire an Irish person if he doesn't want to.

What else is it then? As I said already, it's one bloke on the other side of the world. It's not going to be 'knock on the door' outrage is it? :confused:

And I never said I had a problem with it being discussed because that falls under the remit of what I said - Irish people are good at shouting from the rooftops about things that offend them. Case in point right here.

I'm very confused? You're Irish? Living in Australia? And you're ok with being discriminated against based on your nationality?
    So if your boss came to you tomorrow after a run in with some Irish bloke in the pub and sacked you because you are also Irish, would you say it's his business and he can do what he likes?
    Eh, doubtful!!
    :rolleyes:

It shouldn't be a case of the Irish being offended by this, it should be everyone. It's an archaic practise, and we should not be offended just because it was Irish this time, but we can substitute Black, Asian, Eastern European, Aboriginal into the ad and still be offended.

If we start becoming lenient on this kind of bullshít, it will become more prevalent, so no, I don;t accept we should just ignore it, put our heads in the sand and forget it.

dlofnep wrote: »
    Actually - it isn't. Australia's Racial Discrimination Act of 1975 states that he does not have the right to do with it what he wants, when it comes to pre-judging someone for employment.

Does he have to hire an Irish person?

steddyeddy wrote: »
    True but it would be far to say that the country is up there for government backed discrimination.

You have facts to back this up?

I'd be happy to read them.

Indeed he doesnt have to hire anyone he doesnt want to. What he has to do though however is not discriminate against people of different race or nationality. You would think that oz would have learned that by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Ad taken down
    Good thing I got a screenshot then.
    And what would you like us to do with this information? What purpose would passing it on to people serve apart from inciting harrassment which you said you want to avoid?

There's only one purpose for posting someone's personal info online and it's not a nice one.
    Mod

Posting up of personal details to incite harassment will lead to a long ban. Fair warning.

Put away the pitch forks please.
    His contact details are already posted north, south, east and west on the internet.

I shall be sending them and the screenshot of his advert to media outlets in both Ireland and in Australia - hopefully by shining a light on bottom feeding mouth breathers like this the next guy will think twice before going for it, and who knows, maybe cause that minority of Aussies who hold similar views to re-examine them and discover the greivous error of their ways.

Does he have to hire an Irish person?

He can't discriminate based on their nationality. Therefore, he is obliged by law to give an unbiased hearing to everyone regardless of their nationality.

Moreover, if someone's application is rejected and they feel that it is based on racial or ethnic grounds, they have the right to bring it to a court of law.

ash23 wrote: »
    I'm very confused? You're Irish? Living in Australia?

Australian born, grew up in Ireland, live in Australia if that's any use.
    And you're ok with being discriminated against based on your nationality?

I never once said it was ok, I said I can understand why he would do it.
    So if your boss came to you tomorrow after a run in with some Irish bloke in the pub and sacked you because you are also Irish, would you say it's his business and he can do what he likes?
    Eh, doubtful!!
    :rolleyes:

Why would they hire an Irish person then sack them because they're Irish? :confused:

Here, have a rolleyes back for not thinking that analogy through - :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Northern loyalist from the most racist place on earth defends racist shocker.
    Is that not a bit of a generalisation?

• Advertisement

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Good thing I got a screenshot then.

His contact details are already posted north, south, east and west on the internet.

I shall be sending them and the screenshot of his advert to media outlets in both Ireland and in Australia - hopefully by shining a light on bottom feeding mouth breathers like this the next guy will think twice before going for it, and who knows, maybe cause that minority of Aussies who hold similar views to re-examine them and discover the greivous error of their ways.

Liveline's about to start, you sound like one of Joe's cronies so maybe give him a shout.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement