Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"no Irish " ad in Oz

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Its a well known fact that no Australians ever drink, puke fight or act the flamin' gallah. Never. Never ever. Fact.

The amount of people on this here thread who seem to think anti Irish racism is ok is a bit shockin to be honest

Yeah, but going to another country to do it (taking advantage of employers at times) and claim you're there for the experience and culture is taking the p!ss.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

fixed that for you;)

No there's culchie skangers here too, Munster jerseys and Limerick Gah shorts aplenty

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

This is just incitement/attempted justification of racism.
    Reported.

dont stop there, im pretty sure it's a hate crime too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Is self loathing a prerequisite of libertarianism?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,639 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Bad Panda wrote: »
    Yeah, but going to another country to do it and claim you're there for the experience and culture is taking the p!ss.

Who said the young irish said they are there for the culture?

Australia has culture ?? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Fine then, I'll be the one to stereotype, here's why he posted that AD :

Irish - Lazy, don't work hard
    English - Lazy, work harder than Irish though
    French - Lazy, work harder than Irish or English ( maybe )
    Spanish - Lazy, so lazy that they have a siesta mid day
    Polish - Not Lazy, do work hard
    Americans - Greedy, will sell their own mother for a buck
    Germans - Not Lazy - most efficient workers in the world
    Asian - Hardest of all workers, cheap labour
    Aussie's - Racist Ba$atards according to above AD :rolleyes:

anyone care to add any other sterotypes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Xavi6 wrote: »
    What are you hoping to achieve? It's five minutes from my house, want me to knock up and deliver some Paddy justice?

It's so everyone knows he's a bigot.....obviously!

ash23 wrote: »
    It's so everyone knows he's a bigot.....obviously!

Ah yes, so a load of people on the other side of the world know the name of a guy they can do absolutely nothing about.

Genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Nice, for those on phones:

What's your point?

Granted, his views are unpleasant and more than likely the result of a lack of awareness but what you appear to be suggesting looks a whole lot worse to me.

What are you hoping to achieve through posting all of his details - reprisals? You want the outraged Irish to bombard the man and his family with emails and telephone calls so he knows just how much you know of him and just how much you dislike him? You would get a kick out of intimidating and frightening not just a man you take issue with but also his loved ones?

For you to take up a position of moral outrage on this is laughable considering the insight into your character you are affording us with your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

tbh loads of irish teens/early twenties just piss off to australia for the laugh and take the piss drinking, I wouldnt want to hire them either

Quite true. Not specifically for economic reasons but more for the craic/experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    Fine then, I'll be the one to stereotype, here's why he posted that AD :

Irish - Lazy, don't work hard
    English - Lazy, work harder than Irish though
    French - Lazy, work harder than Irish or English ( maybe )
    Spanish - Lazy, so lazy that they have a siesta mid day
    Polish - Not Lazy, do work hard
    Americans - Greedy, will sell their own mother for a buck
    Germans - Not Lazy - most efficient workers in the world
    Asian - Hardest of all workers, cheap labour
    Aussie's - Racist Ba$atards according to above AD :rolleyes:

anyone care to add any other sterotypes

Kettle calling the pot! ;)

Ah yes, so a load of people on the other side of the world know the name of a guy they can do absolutely nothing about.

Genius.

Well I'm sure there are good people like yourself who are boardsies and who live in Australia. Gasp, not everyone Irish on the net is based in Ireland. Plus, some will actually pass this on to mates in Oz etc etc..... it's good to talk and all that.

Wouldn't want the man harrassed or anything but he should at least be somewhat mortified at being exposed as a bigot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Ad taken down

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Pretty clear example of racism, I would think. Also, surprised that so many seem to have no issue with the ad :confused:. Surely, when hiring someone they should be judged on there own merits (ability to do the job etc), and not irrelevant stuff like where they were born (assuming that working permit etc are in order).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

He was probably sick of having to look at people turning up for work in GAA jersies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Meh.. Perth is a kip who wants to build in it anyway...

*Never been to Perth or will I....

Well I'm sure there are good people like yourself who are boardsies and who live in Australia. Gasp, not everyone Irish on the net is based in Ireland. Plus, some will actually pass this on to mates in Oz etc etc..... it's good to talk and all that.

Wouldn't want the man harrassed or anything but he should at least be somewhat mortified at being exposed as a bigot.

And what would you like us to do with this information? What purpose would passing it on to people serve apart from inciting harrassment which you said you want to avoid?

There's only one purpose for posting someone's personal info online and it's not a nice one.

listermint wrote: »
    Who said the young irish said they are there for the culture?

Australia has culture ?? :eek:

Yes, in parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

The fact that he freely posted an australia-wide advert with his name and address the fact he didn't want a certain nationality applying to work for his company suggests to me that him being (further) exposed as a bigot wouldn't overly affect him.

I find this whole "passing it on to mates in Oz" thing extremely sinister and disturbing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

bwatson wrote: »
    The fact that he freely posted an australia-wide advert with his name and address the fact he didn't want a certain nationality applying to work for his company suggests to me that him being (further) exposed as a bigot wouldn't overly affect him.

I find this whole "passing it on to mates in Oz" thing extremely sinister and disturbing.

He was pretty quick in taking the add down then

• Advertisement

And what would you like us to do with this information? What purpose would passing it on to people serve apart from inciting harrassment which you said you want to avoid?

There's only one purpose for posting someone's personal info online and it's not a nice one.

Like I said, no harrassment but can imagine it would be embarrassing to have something like go viral so everyone knows the worst about you......

I wouldn't want my name, address etc associated with some of my more embarrassing moments/stupid comments but hey, each to their own.

PS don't think his name and address were on the ad. Someone used another ad for a car which had his phone number, to find his address and name, searched it on google maps and found the vehicle he was trying to sell outside the address (therefore being sure it was his house).

Perhaps he won't care. Perhaps he will.

He was wrong to post it. Maybe he'll see the error of his ways when he sees how people were upset/outraged/bothered by it.
    Maybe not. One can only hope!

He was pretty quick in taking the add down then

Probably didn't want a host of keyboard warriors from the northern hemisphere clogging his inbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Wonder if it was him or Gumtree who removed the ad.

booboo88 wrote: »
    That doesn't make it any better, its bad form no matter who it's coming from.

I know.

You mentioned people's attitude's in England towards Irish people in the past, I'm just saying that those same attitudes exist in Irish people towards foreigners in Ireland today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I rang him and told him I'd blast him with piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I'm just saying that those same attitudes exist in Irish people towards foreigners in Ireland today.

I've never once seen a sign or advert that stated no Polish or no Blacks in Ireland. Not once in 29 years. And if it ever happened, Irish people would rally together to confront it.

I know.

You mentioned people's attitude's in England towards Irish people in the past, I'm just saying that those same attitudes exist in Irish people towards foreigners in Ireland today.

Yeah they do but I doubt anyone would be ignorant enough to post an ad saying "No Blacks/Polish/Nigerian" (depending on their personal prejudices). And if they did I would hope it wouldn't be a case of "ah shure 'tis grand, he can have his opinions".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

If he has a problem with The Irish, he should keep that out of an advert, and judge people on individual merit. We all have our prejudices, but if an Irish guy with good credentials and references turned up then he should be taken on his merits, even if the a good percentage of the Irish migrants are taking the piss. Which I don't doubt.

There are people who don't like foreigners, or who don't like the wage competition. In general the middle class attitude to Polish labourers is that they are better than the locals. Maybe they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

dlofnep wrote: »
    I've never once seen a sign or advert that stated no Polish or no Blacks in Ireland. Not once in 29 years. And if it ever happened, Irish people would rally together to confront it.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/ididkfmhmh/
    He told TV3 news that his association’s constitution does not allow "non-national members at the moment".

and
    "This has nothing to do with race. But members of the public are telling us they are not happy with them," he said.

"We are getting too many complaints about their attitude and manners, and about some drivers not knowing where they are going, especially in rural areas.

We all know he meant the Nigerian lads.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

dlofnep wrote: »

O man - you just made me lol.
    The irish....getting together....for a rally / protest......

Grabs sides, falls on ground, rolls around....

SSSSuuuurrrrreeee

if we didn't protest for our banks, taxes & governments we won't protest for anything EVER

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement