Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"no Irish " ad in Oz

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

The GAA-bashers must have fell over themselves in the rush to post in this thread after they read about the ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭howwedoin

Xavi6 wrote: »
    No there's culchie skangers here too, Munster jerseys and Limerick Gah shorts aplenty

I have never heard of a skanger being identified by gah shorts, you are a bit lost I would say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

guitarzero wrote: »
    Fair play to him. I dont buy this politically correct nonsense, never did. If he doesnt want Irish on his site, fair dinkim.
    Learn what political correctness means.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

howwedoin wrote: »
    I have never heard of a skanger being identified by gah shorts, you are a bit lost I would say!

Ever lived in Australia or have you just never heard of it in Ireland?

I've lived here long enough to spot them a mile away, your man that posted the ad probably has his own experiences of these types and didn't want wasters working with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

want me to knock up and deliver some Paddy justice?

Yes, he'll take two bags of potatos please

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

I've lived here long enough to spot them a mile away, your man that posted the ad probably has his own experiences of these types and didn't want wasters working with him.

It's been posted previously, that doesn't excuse racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

There are a lot of genuine hardworking irish people who have moved to australia to look for work but there are also a lot of complete wasters who create trouble everywhere they go. Theyre the sort that pissed every penny up against a wall when they were working, the ones you find fighting on the streets after nightclubs turf them out and the same ones that filled the courts with public order cases for the last number of years. I know of one town where the guards have literally nothing to do now at weekends as 20+ of the most prolific troublemakers have all left for australia/canada in the last 12 months or so but the sad thing is most of the useless f***ers will probably end up back here again when theyre thrown out of Oz/Canada.

I am living in Australia, the skangers can usually be spotted by the bad haircuts, burned skin and general demeanour. From my experience, lads that are wearing a counties gah shorts usually got them from playing with the county and generally they arent "skangers". Not many skangers go out and by their county teams shorts.

So it's ok to state "No Irish" on the basis of the rowdy Irish gimps (whom I'm not denying are plentiful)? Effectively making all Irish people accountable for their behaviour simply because they share their nationality?

So, I go to Australia for a year, I don't act the bollocks and I can't apply for this job because I share nationality with people to whom I've otherwise no connection. Delightful. And of course a bunch of Irish people metaphorically bending over and taking it here, some of whom would no doubt be up in arms if the sign said "No Chinese". But it's really enlightened to attack your own people (apart from yourself of course) - or something.

• Advertisement

howwedoin wrote: »
    I am living in Australia, the skangers can usually be spotted by the bad haircuts, burned skin and general demeanour. From my experience, lads that are wearing a counties gah shorts usually got them from playing with the county and generally they arent "skangers". Not many skangers go out and by their county teams shorts.

You're right, they nick them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Mod

Posting up of personal details to incite harassment will lead to a long ban. Fair warning.

Put away the pitch forks please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

The noisy ones have always ruined it for the rest.

You're right, they nick them ;)

Good lad!

Dudess wrote: »
    So it's ok to state "No Irish" on the basis of the rowdy Irish gimps (whom I'm not denying are plentiful)? Effectively making all Irish people accountable for their behaviour simply because they share their nationality?

So, I go to Australia for a year, I don't act the bollocks and I can't apply for this job because I share nationality with people to whom I've otherwise no connection with. Delightful. And of course a bunch of Irish people bending over and taking it...

Well yes it is ok because it's his business so he's entitled to hire who he wants. Why waste the time of Irish people if they have no chance of getting the job? Let them know from the get go that they won't be employed by him.

He's in the building trade so probably had Irish lads before who went out on the lash four or five nights a week, never showed up for their half day on a Saturday, and were constantly hungover. He doesn't want to repeat that experience and who can argue with him? It happens all the time on sites here.

It's no different to places in San Diego that won't rent to J1-ers. The bad apples have ruined it for others and it's not fair but that's the way it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

CJC999 wrote: »
    There are a lot of genuine hardworking irish people who have moved to australia to look for work but there are also a lot of complete wasters who create trouble everywhere they go. Theyre the sort that pissed every penny up against a wall when they were working, the ones you find fighting on the streets after nightclubs turf them out and the same ones that filled the courts with public order cases for the last number of years. I know of one town where the guards have literally nothing to do now at weekends as 20+ of the most prolific troublemakers have all left for australia/canada in the last 12 months or so but the sad thing is most of the useless f***ers will probably end up back here again when theyre thrown out of Oz/Canada.

I'm sure there are more than enough local Aussies that do the exact same thing. It's no excuse to condemn an entire nationality of people, based on the actions of a few.

Well yes it is ok because it's his business so he's entitled to hire who he wants. Why waste the time of Irish people if they have no chance of getting the job? Let them know from the get go that they won't be employed by him.

He's in the building trade so probably had Irish lads before who went out on the lash four or five nights a week, never showed up for their half day on a Saturday, and were constantly hungover. He doesn't want to repeat that experience and who can argue with him? It happens all the time on sites here.

It's no different to places in San Diego that won't rent to J1-ers. The bad apples have ruined it for others and it's not fair but that's the way it goes.

It's not just 'not fair', it's illegal, even in Australia.

I've had the pleasure of living abroad, in the midst of a lot of Irish and the picture that's painted of them is no where near as bad as a lot of the reactionary posters make out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

The fine Australian people deserve hard workers. Not people more interested in drinking and messing about.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    The fine Australian people deserve hard workers. Not people more interested in drinking and messing about.

When you say 'Fine Australians', I'm wondering if that includes the racists?

Are you suggesting that there are no Irish people that work hard?

• Advertisement

So, I go to Australia for a year, I don't act the bollocks and I can't apply for this job because I share nationality with people to whom I've otherwise no connection with. Delightful. And of course a bunch of Irish people bending over and taking it...

He shouldn't say it on the sign in the first place. And I'm sure you'd agree if you were an Irishman not interested in acting the twat but just looking for a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

So not one single Irishman or woman is hard working?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Mod

Troll here to be banned.

Why are they all fine? They're a mixed bunch, like any nationality.
    What's the above got to do with a sign saying "No Irish need apply"? You wouldn't be trying to troll the message that Irish people = "all drunken messers" now would you?

I've no idea why Keith continues to post on an Irish forum when he holds such public contempt for us. The mind truly boggles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

karma_ wrote: »
    It's not just 'not fair', it's illegal, even in Australia.

Even in Australia?

'It' being illegal is a bit of technicality, simply because he's advertised he doesn't want Irish.

So they know not to apply. Nobody's time is wasted. Fine (not fine, but you know).

It's OK for him to have the attitude he has (and keep it to himself) and let them apply and just not hire them/get back to them.

The last part is unfair. What he's did was illegal.

You can't really prevent this sort of thing whichever way you look at it. It's his business, he can do what he wants pretty much.

dlofnep wrote: »
    I've no idea why Keith continues to post on an Irish forum when he holds such public contempt for us. The mind truly boggles.

Never mind Keith, it's the indifferent attitude of the Irish posters I find the most perturbing.

He shouldn't say it on the sign in the first place. And I'm sure you'd agree if you were an Irishman not interested in acting the twat but just looking for a job.

So if he doesn't want Irish people he should just let them apply, show up for an interview, get their hopes up then reject them?

So if he doesn't want Irish people he should just let them apply, show up for an interview, get their hopes up then reject them?

No - he shouldn't prejudge any in the first place based on their nationality.

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote: »
    I've a fair idea tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement