Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"no Irish " ad in Oz

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

listermint wrote: »
    Basic society functions on understanding. The understanding that the reasoning behind this mans ad was wrong. We can all comprehend why this tool wrote the ad. No one needs an explanation. But understanding it and not saying his attitude is wrong a poles apart.

Poles apart.

There is no need to bring nationalities into this even more.

Anyway - you still fail to comprehend and equate understanding to agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Selective quoting of peoples posts to produce a desired effect is childish

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouth_breathing
    What I quoted was only a couple of posts up. Feel free to raise your eyes a few degrees to behold it in all its glory.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I think you're fighting a losing battle on that one at this stage, even though you're spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No im still failing to see any condemnation by any of the posters who are out here explaining this mans actions.

Explain away, but your lack of condemnation is beginning to speak volumes about agreement of....

You either agree with him or you dont its not that hard of a question. Explaining why this man wrote the ad is coming down heavily on agreement.

So what is it ???

Have any of the posters said the condemn it?

No im still failing to see any condemnation by any of the posters who are out here explaining this mans actions.

Explain away, but your lack of condemnation is beginning to speak volumes about agreement of....

You either agree with him or you dont its not that hard of a question. Explaining why this man wrote the ad is coming down heavily on agreement.

So what is it ???

Have any of the posters said the condemn it?

I completely understand why he said what he did.

I condemn racism.

Did i just blow your mind?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Why is the ad down?
    Because the bloke saw the error of his ways? Not likely!!
    It's down because people complained about it. And rightly so.
    If nothing had been said it'd still be there.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    You're getting awfully worked up, maybe step away from the keyboard for a few.
    Oh are you an AH mod now after all? Anyway I'm more astonished than anything else thus far, maybe I just keep better company than some. Laddie attitudes like yours are going to have to change, they don't belong in the modern world.

I condemn racism.

You condemn racism

But yet your not condemning this mans ad directly?

Do you not believe this ad to be racist?

Mind blowing pending....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

ash23 wrote: »
    Why is the ad down?
    Because the bloke saw the error of his ways? Not likely!!
    It's down because people complained about it. And rightly so.
    If nothing had been said it'd still be there.

Well no, most likely a Gumtree moderator took it down as it was a breach of their rules and regulations relating to discrimination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Aussi backpackers invade London (in particular) every year an can be some of the heaviest-drinking, loudest, most annoying people you ever met.

Fair enough if you don't want backpackers, but it's not just a single nationality. It's just an age group / people on a particular type of holiday that tend to be a bit wild.

• Advertisement

irishmover wrote: »
    Well no, most likely a Gumtree moderator took it down as it was a breach of their rules and regulations relating to discrimination.

Because people complained and drew attention to it........
    Doubt gumtree mods trawl through every ad. They rely (as on other internet sites) for people to hit "report".

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Its his business. he should be allowed to apply who he wants, i wish business in ireland would adapt this approach where necessary, sadly though, perhaps some of them also would have "no irish" signs up.

if the people who worked with him in the past acted the c*nt, its them who have given the irish a bad name, not him.

You condemn racism

But yet your not condemning this mans ad directly?

Do you not believe this ad to be racist?

Mind blowing pending....

That ad is racist and i condemn it. I also understand it. Do you even have an argument you can put down without making unfounded statments?

Doubt it if he was contacted by multiple media organisations.

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Oh are you an AH mod now after all? Anyway I'm more astonished than anything else thus far, maybe I just keep better company than some. Laddie attitudes like yours are going to have to change, they don't belong in the modern world.

Report me for backseat modding if you like but I was merely offering some friendly advice to prove I'm not such a bad guy afterall :)

I'm sure what a 'laddie attitude' is though, sorry :confused:

I condemn racism.

+1, just so folk have the clarity and condemnation they've been craving.

That ad is racist and i condemn it. I also understand it. Do you even have an argument you can put down without making unfounded statments?

No i was just waiting on condemnation, I have it now. But its still pending from Xavi which is why ill continued to be perplexed by reasoning and 'understanding'.

And far from keyboard warrior 'sh**e' that gets passed around here when someone has nothing else to say, Il stamp down on racism where ever i see it.

And i wont change my attitude for nobody.

condemnation still pending....

Because people complained and drew attention to it........
    Doubt gumtree mods trawl through every ad. They rely (as on other internet sites) for people to hit "report".
    Yeah I reported it immediately after seeing it, it was down shortly afterwards. No doubt many others did the same.
    Report me for backseat modding if you like but I was merely offering some friendly advice to prove I'm not such a bad guy afterall :)
    Yes racists aren't baby eating monsters spewing fire from their eyes. You aren't coming across at all well in this thread though, and I feel your attitude towards Irish people could do with some improvement.

+1, just so folk have the clarity and condemnation they've been craving.

Was that so hard?

or was it just trolling all the way through, your first post could have condemned it and explained it and everyone could have taken you at face value. But i suspect that is not what you were looking for all along.

I commend you on your condemnation of obvious racism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I'd say so. Gumtree is massive and ads would go up before they can be reviewed. :)

Was that so hard?

or was it just trolling all the way through, your first post could have condemned it and explained it and everyone could have taken you at face value. But i suspect that is not what you were looking for all along.

The condemnation of racism wasn't the point he was trying to make though - you just jumped on his back because he didn't state it initially.

• Advertisement

Do you understand it because you've lived there so long or because you associate Irish people with a pack of wasters?

Il stamp down on racism where ever i see it.

And like a Bat Signal in the night sky, the next thread appears.
    Was that so hard?

I don't see why an open and outright condemnation is required to post on the situation. Truth be told I'm not fussed about the whole thing because, as has been pointed out already, it's one guy in a pretty big area.

The fact that he lives in an area of Perth more commonly known here as 'Little Britain' shows that he must have some tolerance for Irish/UK types so for me it was not something to get worked up over like some folk have.

Still bemusing that so many people can't see the difference between understanding someone's reasons and supporting them though.

The condemnation of racism wasn't the point he was trying to make though - you just jumped on his back because he didn't state it initially.

And so i should. I dont believe racism should be explained away without stating your cause straight off the bat.

Ill jump down any perceived racists throat, its not on, its not acceptable.

Put your cards on the table from the start, I do.

And like a Bat Signal in the night sky, the next thread appears.

I don't see why an open and outright condemnation is required to post on the situation. Truth be told I'm not fussed about the whole thing because, as has been pointed out already, it's one guy in a pretty big area.

The fact that he lives in an area of Perth more commonly known here as 'Little Britain' shows that he must have some tolerance for Irish/UK types so for me it was not something to get worked up over like some folk have.

Still bemusing that so many people can't see the difference between understanding someone's reasons and supporting them though.

If you're not fussed that's fine. But why do you care (and patronise) other people who are fussed about discrimination?
    :confused:

Do you understand it because you've lived there so long or because you associate Irish people with a pack of wasters?

Bloody hell, I really hit a nerve with you :eek:

Please don't try to put words in my mouth. If you would like to make a strawman you will need to try a lot harder.

Experience is not always a necessity for understanding, though it can obviously facilitate greater recognition.

Tell you what, why don't you state your issue in one sentence. Maybe that way we can drag this topic back to some sort of coherence.

And so i should. I dont believe racism should be explained away without stating your cause straight off the bat.

Ill jump down any perceived racists throat, its not on, its not acceptable.

Put your cards on the table from the start, I do.

I cant believe you don't condemn the testing of bleach on babies.

See what i did there?

Bloody hell, I really hit a nerve with you :eek:
    If by hitting a nerve you mean made a bunch of racist comments and thought it was business as usual, I guess.
    Please don't try to put words in my mouth. If you would like to make a strawman you will need to try a lot harder.
    Maybe you can put words in your own mouth and tell us all why you find it understandable.

If you're not fussed that's fine. But why do you care (and patronise) other people who are fussed about discrimination?
    :confused:

Because it's a discussion forum and only one side of the argument was being put out, along with pitch forks and blazing torches.

I draw the line at posting someone's private details on an internet forum to cause trouble for them (which is what the lovely Doc Ruby did btw) so I said as much and it spiralled from there.

• Advertisement

Maybe you can put words in your own mouth and tell us all why you find it understandable.

No thanks. I'm not interested in explaining myself to you. You, however, are calling others out so it is beholden to you to defend your statements.

So, in light of the fact that no one is claiming racism is ok and the ad has been condemned as requested - What is your issue with saying that understanding can be applied to it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement