Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Meath just scored a goal in Pairc Ui Chaoimh, leading by 3 at Half Time

Clare Waterford game is on in PUC.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Jack Fagan from Rathmolyon got the third goal :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭dobman88

Thought RoyalLegend was losing his mind. Cryptic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Hopefully a good omen for later on :cool:

Awful performance yet again means the game is over after 15 minutes.

• Advertisement

Keeper has to be stronger and more brave for both goals

15 vs 15 looks like we don't have their level of class I am afraid

Backline needs to be a lot tighter, and who the **** is not following O'Callaghan on the kick outs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

How long have the kick outs been a problem for Meath now? There’s no excuse for it at this stage. Is there no outfield player could even go in just for distribution?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

No team from Leinster will beat Dublin again. It's just simple maths. Every year they get a bigger investment from the GAA on top of their already massive financial clout. Then theres the population difference and players playing the sport. Going in Dublins favour every year.

I just hope they'll lose the odd all Ireland because we're not actually that far behind the likes of donegal, Cork and mayo so who knows if they'll close the gap.

The big difference is unlike us the other decent teams bar kildare (when they're good) will at least have a provincial title to play for.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,328 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

You can see the gap in quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭enricoh

Hard to keep lads motivated to come back for the next year after this.

• Advertisement

enricoh wrote: »
    Hard to keep lads motivated to come back for the next year after this.

That is a big problem. They are young yet, hopefully the management can keep them at it.

Kilkenny uses to do this to teams when they were on top, bury teams and knock the stuffing out of them, no let up, wipe out their confidence, so it sows the seed of doubt into the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭This is it

That was horrific, and could've been a lot more

That is a big problem. They are young yet, hopefully the management can keep them at it.

Kilkenny uses to do this to teams when they were on top, bury teams and knock the stuffing out of them, no let up, wipe out their confidence, so it sows the seed of doubt into the future.
    You'd look at this years minors who hockeyed Dublin and they must be thinking, do I put my life on hold and train like mad year after year only to get stuffed by Dublin every year (if we manage to get that far), or do I enjoy my life while playing with my club and have the chance of winning silverware with them and also have the chance of travelling? You can't begrudge any young player not wanting to put themselves through that today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Obviously they'll choose the club and the club scene is booming in Meath. Teams winning it now that don't usually, it's never been as competitive.

I've been raising alarm bells for years about Dublin and was mocked and laughed at by dubs, proud meath fans and neutrals alike.

Quite satisfying seeing pretty much all meath fans and even the likes of kerry singing off the same sheet. I told ya so.

Does rotating dublin around a different province so they only walk leinster once every 4 years sound so bad now? Does putting them into round 1 of the qualifiers or straight into the super 8's? Even splitting them in two although that ideas been mooted even before their dominance.

All that's left now is the players and managers who are too traditional and proud to grow a set and start pushing for real change. If they've any courage or respect for the sport they'd organise a boycott of the championship until real and fair changes are made.

Sadly it's the GAA and in 2030 we'll likely be celebrating Dublins 20 in a row leinsters and something similar for the all Ireland.

Thankfully the hurling is prob 20 years away from going the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dixiefly

TV keep going on about 10 in a row for Dublin. It’s actually 15 out of 16 for Dublin now. Bar that win for Meath in the 2010 semi it would be 16 Leinster titles in a row for the Dubs.

So I am not sure how many more years are Dublin going to win Leinster GAA senior championship before everyone call a halt to the competition...

Another 5, 10, 15 out of another 16 - say it gets to 19 out of 20 - what other sport worldwide is there where the same team wins the competition all the time?

The game was well covered - we know it was possiblt the worst ever Leinster final defeat - for Meath anyway. I have a couple of queries about after the game.

Firstly, the wreath presentation by the Dublin team for Bloody Sunday - why weren’t the Meath team involved? We’re they not invited or did they refuse? It looked awful for me to see one team making a big formal gesture obviously planned while their hammered opposition were hanging around in the background. Like nobodies. And then huge praise from RTÉ for the Dublin guys.

And was the only interview afterwards just with Dean Rock? None from Meath? Fair enough as they were probably devastated but Dean Rock who was born and bred in Meath never even mentioned Meath in the interview - pretty pathetic but it does reflect the gap between Dublin and the rest of the province - truly depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dixiefly

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Obviously they'll choose the club and the club scene is booming in Meath. Teams winning it now that don't usually, it's never been as competitive.

I've been raising alarm bells for years about Dublin and was mocked and laughed at by dubs, proud meath fans and neutrals alike.

Quite satisfying seeing pretty much all meath fans and even the likes of kerry singing off the same sheet. I told ya so.

Does rotating dublin around a different province so they only walk leinster once every 4 years sound so bad now? Does putting them into round 1 of the qualifiers or straight into the super 8's? Even splitting them in two although that ideas been mooted even before their dominance.

All that's left now is the players and managers who are too traditional and proud to grow a set and start pushing for real change. If they've any courage or respect for the sport they'd organise a boycott of the championship until real and fair changes are made.

Sadly it's the GAA and in 2030 we'll likely be celebrating Dublins 20 in a row leinsters and something similar for the all Ireland.

Thankfully the hurling is prob 20 years away from going the same way.

Ha similar to what I wrote - I hadn’t read your post when I wrote ,I’ve.

Very depressing stuff. Hammerings for Roscommon, Armagh and now Meath in recent weeks show just how big the gulf is between the top 5/6 teams and the next batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭Dickie10

as a meath fan i rarely ever read much into this game, if you analysed it too much any team hockeyed by dublin would pull their inter county team, Meath are going ok, didnt go as well tonite as hoped but cant read much into it. we are really looking to get into that top 5. so need division 1 ffotball again. Lads what happens if dublin hold murphy v donegal and beat them by 15 -16 points? should a conversation start?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

Humiliation - Nothing else. We didn't even last 5 minutes. Every single suspicion of the first 35 V Kildare manifested itself in its ugliest form. I said it after the Kildare match we somehow managed to beat them by 9pts and feel worse about our chances vs Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Some of the posts here are hilarious

• Advertisement

EICVD wrote: »
    Some of the posts here are hilarious

Out of interest, which ones?

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Very depressing stuff. Hammerings for Roscommon, Armagh and now Meath in recent weeks show just how big the gulf is between the top 5/6 teams and the next batch.

The gulf between Dublin and the next 3 or 4, Kerry, Mayo, Donegal, Tyrone is massive. The gulf from them to the rest is wider again. I include Kerry and Tyrone as they have played Dublin in finals recently.

Meath, clearly the 2nd best team in leinster. 2 finals in a row, hammered Wicklow and beat Kildare well. And they were made look completely useless tonight.

Dublin are a way out on their own. Nobody will come close to them Andy wouldnt be surprised to see them do 10 All Irelands in a row

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

dobman88 wrote: »
    The gulf between Dublin and the next 3 or 4, Kerry, Mayo, Donegal, Tyrone is massive. The gulf from them to the rest is wider again. I include Kerry and Tyrone as they have played Dublin in finals recently.

Meath, clearly the 2nd best team in leinster. 2 finals in a row, hammered Wicklow and beat Kildare well. And they were made look completely useless tonight.

Dublin are a way out on their own. Nobody will come close to them Andy wouldnt be surprised to see them do 10 All Irelands in a row

The problem with that statement is Dublin has been waltzing Leinster in their Pyjamas for the last decade, but at least in All Ireland Finals and Semi Final's the games been alive at 50 mins+ bar maybe Tyrone in 2018. Mayo and Kerry both took them to a replay, in finals.

The problem with that statement is Dublin has been waltzing Leinster in their Pyjamas for the last decade, but at least in All Ireland Finals and Semi Final's the games been alive at 50 mins+ bar maybe Tyrone in 2018. Mayo and Kerry both took them to a replay, in finals.

I'd take last year with a pinch of salt. We got a draw against 14 men for majority of the game and were lucky to do so in the end. Well beaten in the replay. And knocked out by cork this year shows we arent as good as maybe we like to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Cavan_King wrote: »

Roscommon at least only lost by 6 points and beat Mayo the year before. I'd hope Cavan give Donegal a better game than Armagh did afterall they aren't at Dublins level of quality whom are capable of hammering any team.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    as a meath fan i rarely ever read much into this game, if you analysed it too much any team hockeyed by dublin would pull their inter county team, Meath are going ok, didnt go as well tonite as hoped but cant read much into it. we are really looking to get into that top 5. so need division 1 ffotball again. Lads what happens if dublin hold murphy v donegal and beat them by 15 -16 points? should a conversation start?

Donegal have a lot more than Michael Murphy - Ryan McHugh, McBrearty, Langan, Thompson, Patton, Brennan etc. He was actually poor against Armagh last week and they still beat them by over ten points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Honestly didn't think we'd win that yesterday but certainly thought we would give it a much better go than that. There's no real point in looking at anything in that match. It seemed that once the first goal went in heads went down. Dublin's tackling and speed at it was massively increased from anything the lads experienced this year. In the first half there were probably 3 goal chances created that were good chances against other teams but the speed of the Dublin defence closed them down to quarter chances at best. I honestly think at this stage an element of it is in the head that once we go behind to Dublin that's it.

As to where we go I honestly don't know. If we were in any other province I'd be hopeful of picking up some sort of provincial honours. There's probably four or five teams at the top table, and a group just below which we are in. I'd include Roscommon, Cork, Cavan and probably Armagh, Down and Kildare in it. The jump across seems to be massive. At the minute I'd also agree with Hammer's point about why would you bother if you were a young lad. Sure, barring this year, if you are half decent at football you could even get a free summer across the Atlantic out of it compared to slogging all year to be battered in a Leinster final.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

As much of a hammering it was last night and there is a massive gulf between the teams that everybody was aware of pre-game, Meath were really really poor.

Can moan about the gulf in class but the lack of fight & effort was really evident last night and I dont buy for one second that playing against a team that you know will lose to is a reason for a lack of fight & effort.

The handicap was 10 points before the game & the bookies are usually fairly accurate in their pricing..

We have a young team with quite a bit of talent, but we are missing that talent in other areas, would hope some of the talented players will stick it out and in maybe 2, 3 or 4 years for more talent to come through.
    Defo need a keeper, i though he was poor and cowardly for both goals last night, he had to come out to dive or put his body in front of Rock's feet on the first one and the second he has to come and take man and ball not swipe at thin air. Apologies if cowardly is too strong a word, not meant to be a personal slur, just not sure what other way to describe it.

• Advertisement

I am not feeling well today, even find myself shouting for a Cavan win, God help me 0-4 to 0-2 to Cavan so far.

Advertisement