Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭enricoh

Obrieski wrote: »
    Good to win but that attitude, performance and tactics wouldn’t get us within 15 points of Dublin. Can’t allow them to play out the field as easily as we let Kildare today. Still though, good to win.

Can't understand not contesting their kickouts in the first half.
    Didn't play great n still beat kildare by 9 - I'll take it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

I have to concur with some of the post-match sentiment here. We've somehow beaten Kildare by 9 pts and I'm coming out feeling more negative about our chances V the Dubs. Felt like they controlled most of the factors of production, midfield, breaking ball, men in space. But somehow or other we've won by 9 pts. In fairness, that type of performance is the blueprint for beating the dubs. We'll have to score goals!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭snowgal

pipelaser wrote: »
    Is it just me or is Cillian O'Sullivan the most infuriating player ever to watch in living memory? I dont know how he manages it, but he is almost equally bad as he is excellent.
    Maybe David Beggy comes close!

Yes yes yes to all of that, including the Beggy comment!! Spot on.
    He can do some great things and injects real pace but 2 minutes later I’m shouting let it off, let if off, and he loses pocession ... head wrecking,

I have to concur with some of the post-match sentiment here. We've somehow beaten Kildare by 9 pts and I'm coming out feeling more negative about our chances V the Dubs. Felt like they controlled most of the factors of production, midfield, breaking ball, men in space. But somehow or other we've won by 9 pts. In fairness, that type of performance is the blueprint for beating the dubs. We'll have to score goals!

Yea if we do another 5 past Cluxton I’ll be happy :) 2020, the year of the goals!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Is the final at 6.15 or 7 next Saturday? Both times given on Leinster GAA site.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I like COS. He's the one player that never shirks responsibility and is always looking for possession, even if things are going bad. He covered an insane amount of ground today. Worrying injury for him towards the end. Looked like his second concussion in less than a month.

Happy with the win, but 4 and 5 points in both halves isn't good enough. We'll be 10-15 points down at half time if we play the way we did in the first half. Going to have to keep up the goalscoring form if we're to make it in any way competitive next Saturday.

Cavan_King wrote: »
    I thought the Dublin game was scheduled for 4pm this afternoon but it threw in at 3.30. I wonder do they have different possible throw in times for TV reasons in case a game goes to extra time. There are two hurling quarter finals on beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭dunnerc

snowgal wrote: »
    Yea if we do another 5 past Cluxton I’ll be happy :) 2020, the year of the goals!

No harm in dreaming lad;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

You’ll be disappointed so

7pm I saw tonight anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

dunnerc wrote: »
    No harm in dreaming lad;)

ye have scored 12 goals in two games , get 2 against dublin and defend as well as ye did in last years leinster final and ye will go very close , well done today

7pm I saw tonight anyway...

From Leinster GAA site:

https://leinstergaa.ie/competitions/leinster-gaa-senior-football-championship-2017/

FINAL Meath/Kildare v Laois/Dublin 21.11.2020 6.15/7.00pm Croke

From Leinster GAA site:

https://leinstergaa.ie/competitions/leinster-gaa-senior-football-championship-2017/

FINAL Meath/Kildare v Laois/Dublin 21.11.2020 6.15/7.00pm Croke

Strange, maybe to do with potential et in hurling then? The GAA official page says it’s 7pm......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭rpurfield

The second half display was pretty good yesterday, I thought the backs got to grips with Kildare a lot more, there were a lot more turnovers in the second half than the first when the backs played two yards off.

I know 9 points wasn't a lot yesterday but from the stats there were only 5 wides, and three shots from frees or 45s and one scored. I know the next day will be a step up but I would be confident it will be more competitive than the final last year!

rpurfield wrote: »
    The second half display was pretty good yesterday, I thought the backs got to grips with Kildare a lot more, there were a lot more turnovers in the second half than the first when the backs played two yards off.

I know 9 points wasn't a lot yesterday but from the stats there were only 5 wides, and three shots from frees or 45s and one scored. I know the next day will be a step up but I would be confident it will be more competitive than the final last year!

Just wondering if anyone has a link to the full match on youtube?

Just on a side note, the camera work the other day was desperate. I needed my TV set to 3:4 zoom ratio to see O'Sullivans goal. It understandable that the cameraman resources would have been stretch on the day with about 10 matches been shown across the country. Just thought Croker might have had their pick of the crop. He even managed to set up on the wrong side of the stadium!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭dobman88

Saturday at 7pm confirmed for the leinster final. Hopefully meath put in a respectable performance and keep the scoreline some way respectable.

Just on a side note, the camera work the other day was desperate. I needed my TV set to 3:4 zoom ratio to see O'Sullivans goal. It understandable that the cameraman resources would have been stretch on the day with about 10 matches been shown across the country. Just thought Croker might have had their pick of the crop. He even managed to set up on the wrong side of the stadium!

Think it was broadcast resolution, the same camera was used on the Sunday Game highlights and it was grand. Same issue with the Dublin game, rubbish live but better on the highlights.

Ger Canning made a comment at the start of the coverage that they were on the other side of the stadium for some reason. He didn’t explain why.

The camera was very poor though. I couldn’t watch the game.

Having watched the highlights a couple of times one thing I picked up on was Jordan Morris's hit on the Kildare lad to disposes him of the ball just before the sending off. It was some shoulder he leveled him with and I'm pretty sure it was on one of the big Kildare midfielders. You hear of the conditioning work Niall Ronan has been doing. I think he would have enjoyed that. To round it off he was then straight in to confront the Kildare full back for the hit on O'Sullivan. Physically and mentally not taking a back foot.

Having watched the highlights a couple of times one thing I picked up on was Jordan Morris's hit on the Kildare lad to disposes him of the ball just before the sending off. It was some shoulder he leveled him with and I'm pretty sure it was on one of the big Kildare midfielders. You hear of the conditioning work Niall Ronan has been doing. I think he would have enjoyed that. To round it off he was then straight in to confront the Kildare full back for the hit on O'Sullivan. Physically and mentally not taking a back foot.

The conditioning work has been going on for a few years now and you can see it. Shane Walsh and Jordan Morris would have been two lads in the first group that really got it and you can see it in them. Same with this years minors, serious units on that team as well

• Advertisement

It's one area in particular that I feel we've improved immeasurably over the last few years at all levels. 5 - 10 years ago, we'd have immensely skillful underage teams but when they came up against the likes of Kildare, they looked tiny in comparison and were bullied off the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Here's hoping Martin O Connell has his stolen medals and ring safely returned.

Sadly an indication of the times we live in.

You can hear him back on the News At One.

https://www.rte.ie/news/leinster/2020/1119/1179131-meath-investigation/

It's one area in particular that I feel we've improved immeasurably over the last few years at all levels. 5 - 10 years ago, we'd have immensely skillful underage teams but when they came up against the likes of Kildare, they looked tiny in comparison and were bullied off the pitch.

Ger Brennan mentioned Meath’s conditioning on The GAA Hour as being a positive for Meath, before dismissing any chance yas have! But sure as our own Conor Madden said last week in his MoM interview “we’ll be wrote off all week but that’s the way we like it!”.

Hopefully yas make a match of it and give the Dubs a good rattle.

I don't think we really have a chance but if we can perform to our best and actually take our goal chances (which we haven't done against Dublin over the last number of games), I think we can keep the scoreline semi-respectable.

No changes to the team from the last couple of games. Still think Colgan would be a better option in goals but I suppose Brennan hasn't really done anything against Wicklow or Kildare to warrant being dropped.

The hurlers game against Westmeath is being broadcast live on the Meath GAA TV YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Looking forward to this evening all week. I don't think we will be horsed out of it this year, in the league game we matched them physically and had a couple of goal chances that we did not take, we need to take them tonight.
    One big danger for me is the kick out, our strategy in the first half last week did not work, if we give the Dubs that type of turnover possession the game will be over before half time.
    Hon the Royal

Scuttery injury time goal from Westmeath wins it for them. Referee was atrocious but once again we can't get over the line against a bigger team. Think we led for almost the entire 70 minutes only to be pegged back. Jack Regan was sent off after 15 minutes thanks in part to an Oscar winning performance from the Westmeath player. Though Regan did stupidly react to provocation which went unpunished.

Really looking forward to tonight. The bookies have it at 10/1 for Meath and +10 n the handicap which is fair enough. I just hope we have a good rattle at them, leaving nothing behind. If we’re in it after half time anything can happen

0 for 2 today as the camogie team lost to Down in the All Ireland Intermediate semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Meath just scored a goal in Pairc Ui Chaoimh, leading by 3 at Half Time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭dobman88

Meath just scored a goal in Pairc Ui Chaoimh, leading by 3 at Half Time

What game are you watching. Clare v Waterford is on in PUC.

Advertisement