Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why must Irish be compulsory??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RadioClash

Peanut wrote: »
    You are correct that there was no preference given by the respondents to their choices, so we don't know what order they prefer, however it's perfectly reasonable to read that:
    • Given no specific limit on the number of mandatory subjects in a hypothetical LC, more people would prefer mandatory Geography compared to mandatory Irish.
    So? It's more popular than Irish in your hypothetical Leaving cert among other majority approved mandatory subjects? This is not X factor. This is not evidence whatsoever that people would replace Irish or any other subject in the current system if given the option. That question was not posed. And you're being speculative. In your hypothetical Leaving Cert Irish would still be mandatory given a majority of respondents approve of it be.

Incredible - you claim that I'm interpreting results and then come out with this?

That 61% of respondents think it appropriate Irish be mandatory? That's what the poll says. That doesn't need interpretation, you're actually arguing against a cold hard number here.
    The results show absolutely no such thing. The question was not "Which 3 subjects should be mandatory for the Leaving Cert.?"

Not in the actual format of the Leaving Cert.

Is this really so difficult to understand?
    Hint: The percentages should add up to 300% for your interpretation to be valid. They don't.

I'm not interpreting anything, I'm pointing at the cold hard evidence that 61 percent of respondents answered favorably for mandatory Irish, which happens to put your arguement in difficulty, which is (and correct me if I'm wrong) that if a majority deem it to be useless it should be disposed of as a mandatory subject. The poll, which you (laughably) posted actually kills your argument stone dead.

You're having the one having difficulty. What you're doing(in the case of Geography) is seeing the 70% approval, seeing 61% of Irish, subtracting and saying 'Durr! Geography wins by 9%!'. Significant amounts of that 70% would have also approved of Irish being mandatory also, and you don't know which way they would have voted if given the choice of choosing between the two of them as a mandatory subject in the current system. So why speculate?

GaryIrv93 wrote: »
    The education system also needs to put more of an emphasis on sports. Keeping students inside stuffy classrooms for hours and the more countless hours they spend inside dark rooms studying during typical sunny LC weather is a disgrace. Hardly surprising that so many kids are overweight.

Keepy uppies too? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

I agree that more time should be given to sport/PE in schools, maybe it will if it's brought in as a proper Junior Cert and Leaving Cert subject but it's not the reason kids are overweight. Most kids don't walk to school anymore, they eat way more junk food than 20 years ago and they spend less time playing on the street, out on bikes etc and more time in front of computer/tv/playstation etc.

Most of the parents that drop students off at my school drive into the car park and drop the kid off 5 feet from the door. God forbid they might have to walk 50m from the gate to the school door. Most of these live within a mile of the school and should have no problem walking to school.

Not the 100% blame for why kids are overweight but more of a contributing factor factor - more so now due to kids being pressured more to studying with the recession and all and the other reasons you mentioned. They probably need a bit more encouragement as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

RadioClash wrote: »
    Keepy uppies too? :D

And Wii Fit - actually keeping fit while playing a video game! Keepy uppies would fall into the sports category, so yeah if you want. :D Don't see how they're relevant though...well whatever - if the student wants to include it. I'd go more for dodgeball :D But we can dream,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Not the 100% blame for why kids are overweight but more of a contributing factor factor - more so now due to kids being pressured more to studying with the recession and all and the other reasons you mentioned. They probably need a bit more encouragement as well...

Kids were fat before the recession... too many stopping to get breakfast rolls on the way to school.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭murraykil

It's true, unfortunately, but times change. It's happens to everything at some time or other eventually.

We're on our way to creating a generation of clones without the need of GM to achieve it! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

The only subject you have to attend classes in school for the LC is Irish, all others are optional. Unless of course your parents can afford to pay the school the amount they get as a caption grant, then Irish suddenly becomes optional.

NUI college entrance requirements are another mater, where they require three languages for most students; Irish, English and a modern European language.

In my case being forced to study Irish for the LC (which I didn't need to pass), forced me to do 9 subjects in the LC. It was the main reason I missed out on my first choice of college course.

You need to look closer to home, 61% of respondents favour Irish as compulsory. I'm not going to explain basic statistics to you.
    However if you look at a different question in the same poll only 54% want it thought up to the LC, so depending on the way you ask the question you get a 7% difference in the same poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

In my case being forced to study Irish for the LC (which I didn't need to pass), forced me to do 9 subjects in the LC. It was the main reason I missed out on my first choice of college course.
    This is the main reason why I am so vehemently against thoughtlessly keeping Irish as a mandatory subject. I can't count the number of people I know (Including myself) who had to take it upon themselves to either self-teach or get lessons in another subject outside of school so they could offset the points deficit that would be caused by Irish.

The most infuriating thing I experienced last year was wasting time studying a subject I knew I wasn't going to count for points or even use after I left the exam hall.

This is the main reason why I am so vehemently against thoughtlessly keeping Irish as a mandatory subject. I can't count the number of people I know (Including myself) who had to take it upon themselves to either self-teach or get lessons in another subject outside of school so they could offset the points deficit that would be caused by Irish.
    I couldn't agree more, I did accounting out side of school. Unfortunately most people don't realise the hardship / damage having Irish compulsory for the LC can causes.

• Advertisement

The most infuriating thing I experienced last year was wasting time studying a subject I knew I wasn't going to count for points or even use after I left the exam hall.

Points deficit?? So you went out and studied another subject outside of what was offered in subject combinations in your school(your choice by the way), to offset the bad grades you would have got in a subject you couldn't be arsed studying?

Hate to break it you, but you caused that 'points deficit' all by yourself. Irish had nothing to do with it.

I couldn't agree more, I did accounting out side of school. Unfortunately most people don't realise the hardship / damage having Irish compulsory for the LC can causes.

Hardship. We had military conscription earlier on, now it's hardship. This thread is great craic, wherever will it take us next?

Hardship and damage? You don't know the meaning of the words.

Hardship is kids going to school hungry because there isn't any food in their house.

Teachers (particularly in primary school) rigging a class competition so the hungry child will win and they can give them a bar of chocolate and €2 as a prize so you know they can buy something for lunch.

You're living in cloud cuckoo land if you think doing Irish for LC is hardship.

Hardship and damage? You don't know the meaning of the words.
    The bad effects include:
    • Increasing the work load on a student so that they either burn out or are very close to that point.
    • Causing them to miss the career / course they want.
    • Having to repeat the LC
    • Causing them to struggle in University because they had to skimp on studying the fundamental subjects in the LC.
    If you question my choice of words, what would you call the above ill effects?
    Points deficit?? So you went out and studied another subject outside of what was offered in subject combinations in your school(your choice by the way), to offset the bad grades you would have got in a subject you couldn't be arsed studying?
    Your comment about bad grades in a subject you couldn't be arced studying, is incorrect. In order to get high marks in a subject you need to have an aptitude for it, have good teachers, as well as studying hard.
    Hate to break it you, but you caused that 'points deficit' all by yourself. Irish had nothing to do with it.
    Your wrong.

Forcing some one to do a subject that they don't have an aptitude for, causes the 'points deficit'. For some people that subject could be Irish for others it is Maths.

BTW I have nothing against Irish, only having any subject compulsory at LC.

The bad effects include:
    • Increasing the work load on a student so that they either burn out or are very close to that point.
    • Causing them to miss the career / course they want.
    • Having to repeat the LC

BS. Don't know about you but I did 7 subjects in the Leaving, getting decent grades in the LC is not rocket science, it does require application and a bit of hard work across a broad range of disciplines. Yes, some of which may be those which you do not have the greatest aptitude for. I think I may be starting to get your point, life isn't fair right? Boo hoo, Irish is not to blame for these ill effects. In the points race there are winners and losers, it's somewhat unfortunate that this is the case and the CAO system is the culprit here, not mandatory Irish or anything else.

Your comment about bad grades in a subject you couldn't be arced studying, is incorrect. In order to get high marks in a subject you need to have an aptitude for it, have good teachers, as well as studying hard..

That sentence should read 'In my humble opinion....'.You are correct, some people have a certain aptitude for certain subjects, but the Leaving Cert (or the education system in general) isn't designed for you to flake off into your comfort zone. I didn't have the aptitude for Maths like I did for languages or certain humanities subjects, but I fully understood that the LC was to test my ability to learn across a number of fields.
    Your totally wrong.

You love saying that don't you? You can only however wish for it to be true.
    Forcing some one to do a subject that they don't have an aptitude for, causes the 'points deficit'. For some people that subject could be Irish for others it is Maths.

Poor attitudes and not putting the legwork into your mandatory and chosen subjects cause 'points deficits'. You're right, some people have different aptitudes for different modes of learning, but just because I didn't have an aptitude for Maths like I did for other things doesn't mean I wanted it dumped and the system rigged in favour of my own particular 'aptitude'.

My comments about Irish in particular, were because I didn't need to pass it or even sit the exam, to get into any university course in Ireland.

The only reason I was compelled to a to attend the classes, was so that the school would get its capitation grant. If my parents had enough money to make up the difference the school would have been quite happy for me to drop Irish.

RadioClash, I disagree with you on your point about the importance of aptitude. I fail see how someone with out an aptitude for Irish could get a high mark in the honours paper, unless they studied it to the exclusion of their other subjects and even then I'm not sure.

That sentence should read 'In my humble opinion....'.
    You are correct, that my saying you are incorrect, is a little strong, I apologise. However it is no more insulting that saying the only reason some one doesn't get good grades in a subject is because "they can't be arsed".

I did nine subjects for my LC, only 8 of which I needed to pass / sit the exam for.

You are correct, that my saying you are incorrect, is a little strong, I apologise. However it is no more insulting that saying the only reason some one doesn't get good grades in a subject is because "they can't be arsed".

I did nine subjects for my LC, only 8 of which I needed to pass / sit the exam for.

There isn't a course in the country that requires you to do 8 subjects, let alone 9, so your insistence that Irish is the problem here is a little unfounded and that burn out is probably caused by taking on two extra subjects rather than having to study Irish.

Anyway English and Maths are compulsory and I don't hear you complaining about them. I didn't like English or Irish for Leaving Cert, but I just got on with it.

My comments about Irish in particular, were because I didn't need to pass it or even sit the exam, to get into any university course in Ireland.

The only reason I was compelled to a to attend the classes, was so that the school would get its capitation grant. If my parents had enough money to make up the difference the school would have been quite happy for me to drop Irish.

Yours is a particular case which I presume is because you were born elsewhere or lived for an extended period of time abroad (or are dyslexic). Schools need to follow the National curriculum to avail of the capitation grant (in order for you to avail of the system). If this indeed is the case, I concede the system could have been a bit more flexible with you. But then again there would be timetabling issues in the school.
    RadioClash, I disagree with you on your point about the importance of aptitude. I fail see how someone with out an aptitude for Irish could get a high mark in the honours paper, unless they studied it to the exclusion of their other subjects and even then I'm not sure.

If you don't have an aptitude for something, generally your not going to get as high marks in it as someone who does, yes. You think you deserve high marks just because? The LC is an assessment of both your general ability and your willingness to apply yourself to different facets of learning. If your aptitude for certain things is below par (most students are not exceptional across the board) then you have to put in the hard yards to get what you want. That's the workplace, that's sport, that's education and that's life.

There isn't a course in the country that requires you to do 8 subjects, let alone 9, so your insistence that Irish is the problem here is a little unfounded and that burn out is probably caused by taking on two extra subjects rather than having to study Irish.
    You are right it is the number of subjects which causes burn out, rather than exactly which ones.

The NUI entrance requirements include English, european language and Irish*, and if you want to do a high point subject you need six honors subjects. If one doesn't have an aptitude for languages there is a defacto requirement to study 8 or 9 subjects.

*I was exempt for the NUI Irish requirement but not under the Dept. of Education rules for studying Irish in school. That is why I singled out Irish in my case, as it was the 9th subject I had to study but did not have to pass / sit the exam.

The problem is combination of the NUI entrance requirements, the CAO points system and compulsory Irish in schools. However due to the title of this thread, I focused more on the Irish part.
    Anyway English and Maths are compulsory and I don't hear you complaining about them. I didn't like English or Irish for Leaving Cert, but I just got on with it.
    They are compulsory in the sense they are an entrance requirement for most universities.

However the reason I don't complain about Maths and English, is because they are optional subjects, in that schools are free to let you drop them and still get their grant, unlike Irish.

• Advertisement

Yours is a particular case which I presume is because you were born elsewhere or lived for an extended period of time abroad (or are dyslexic). Schools need to follow the National curriculum to avail of the capitation grant (in order for you to avail of the system). If this indeed is the case, I concede the system could have been a bit more flexible with you. But then again there would be timetabling issues in the school.
    I was born in Wales to Irish parents. I won't have minded if I had been able drop Irish for the LC and use the time studying in the library.

The problem I have is with the National curriculum, in that there is only one compulsory subject for the LC. I have nothing against Irish, just the compulsion at LC level, I don't mind it being compulsory up to JC level.

In the end the work load got so high, I would just go into Irish class and say I didn't have time to do my homework.

BTW I passed lower Irish in the LC.
    If you don't have an aptitude for something, generally your not going to get as high marks in it as someone who does, yes. You think you deserve high marks just because? The LC is an assessment of both your general ability and your willingness to apply yourself to different facets of learning. If your aptitude for certain things is below par (most students are not exceptional across the board) then you have to put in the hard yards to get what you want. That's the workplace, that's sport, that's education and that's life.
    I agree that the LC is an assessment of both general ability and willingness to study. However due to the NUI requirements and one subject being compulsory in school. Students having to study 3 languages but not a science* subject is not exactly balanced or broad education.
    *except for science based courses in university

What I would rather was that the general university entrance requirements was taken from the JC and then your best 6 subjects for the LC.

Another way to get avoid the problems those who don't have an aptitude for languages. Would be instead of transition year, study the subjects required matriculation and then just your better subjects for the next two years.

You talk and talk and talk yet say nothing of value. You take one word and create wild backstories to pull a few strawmen from to try and either distract the point or make it appear that you're "winning" the debate.

To start, let me clarify a few points. I was decent at Irish. Subjects i'm only "decent" at are of absolutely no use to me. In sixth year, I focused on the subjects that I enjoyed/needed for college and the subjects that I was best at. Those that didn't make the cut (Irish mainly) were left and my work for them reduced to "Bare minimum to pass HL".

You seemingly don't understand the mindset of a student who's aiming for a course with high points (550+). Once you've got the subjects you'll actually need sorted (In my case, Chemistry and Biology) you have to start thinking about which subjects you'll realistically be counting for points and which subjects to leave by the wayside.

After years of poor teaching, the amount of work that would have been necessary to bring up my Irish grade to something countable (Above a B2 in my case) was huge in comparison to self-teaching myself an entirely new subject.
    Did you understand the point of anything I said?

Let me spell it out in bullet point form.
    • At the start of sixth year I was studying seven subjects.
    • Of those seven subjects, I had six that I could definitely see myself counting for points come August and one that I could see myself doing well in but not well enough to count for points.
    • I needed a minimum of 550 to get in to any of the courses on my CAO.
    • At the end of September I made the decision to completely give up on Irish and focus all the effort I used to put in to it in to self-teaching myself a new subject (Business).
    • I picked business for these reasons.
      • It's a subject that's well suited to self-directed learning.
      • I got an A in JC Business with little to no work.
      • I found many of the topics covered in business to be very interesting from a practical point of view and useful in life.
    In an ideal world, I could have dropped Irish and did Business instead in school. Studying seven subjects isn't too bad. Studying seven subjects with a dead corpse of a subject (That you still need to pass) latching on to you as work hard to do as well you as can is just a hindrance.

In summary
    Irish is not my cause for complaint. COMPULSORY Irish is my cause for complaint. You seemingly cannot differentiate between the two.

BS. Don't know about you but I did 7 subjects in the Leaving, getting decent grades in the LC is not rocket science, it does require application and a bit of hard work across a broad range of disciplines.
    Fantastic, that still doesn't have anything to do with the main question of this thread.

Why is Irish compulsory?
    Yes, some of which may be those which you do not have the greatest aptitude for. I think I may be starting to get your point, life isn't fair right? Boo hoo, Irish is not to blame for these ill effects. In the points race there are winners and losers, it's somewhat unfortunate that this is the case and the CAO system is the culprit here, not mandatory Irish or anything else.
    Irish makes the "points race" even more difficult than it needs to be while offering little to no benefit for the vast majority of students.

Again, why is Irish compulsory? What is the logic in making it compulsory and not optional?
    There isn't a course in the country that requires you to do 8 subjects, let alone 9
    Medicine, Pharmacy, Dentistry and any other course with very high points requirements.

You don't have to do 8/9 subjects... but for peace of mind you have little choice but to do 8/9 subjects.
    so your insistence that Irish is the problem here is a little unfounded and that burn out is probably caused by taking on two extra subjects rather than having to study Irish.
    They wouldn't be "extra" subjects if we could drop Irish. In some cases (My case for instance), Irish was the main reason for my taking an extra subject.
    Why is that I wonder?

It couldn't have anything to do with the fact that English and Maths are justifiably compulsory? We can see how English and Maths is useful for the vast majority of students and don't complain about it. The reason we complain about Irish is that for the vast majority of students it offers little to no benefit and as such does not need to be compulsory.
    I'm not interested in reading any more of your irrelevant rhetoric. Please answer a simple question:

Why is Irish compulsory? What is special about Irish that makes it as fundamental to education as English and Maths?

Medicine, Pharmacy, Dentistry and any other course with very high points requirements.

You don't have to do 8/9 subjects... but for peace of mind you have little choice but to do 8/9 subjects.

They wouldn't be "extra" subjects if we could drop Irish. In some cases (My case for instance), Irish was the main reason for my taking an extra subject.

Why is that I wonder?

It couldn't have anything to do with the fact that English and Maths are justifiably compulsory? We can see how English and Maths is useful for the vast majority of students and don't complain about it. The reason we complain about Irish is that for the vast majority of students it offers little to no benefit and as such does not need to be compulsory.

It is not necessary to study 8 or 9 subjects for entry to Medicine, Dentistry etc. I have taught many students over the years who have entered those courses with just 7 subjects in the LC.

You don't have 'little choice'. Taking on 9 subjects is not giving a person peace of mind, it's giving them a heavy workload.

English would have been one of my worst subjects because I was rubbish at poetry and wasn't too keen on the drama end of things. I wouldn't have found either of them of any use to me after the LC, but I still had to study them and could argue in the same way if I chose that they impacted on the grades I could get for the CAO.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

It is not necessary to study 8 or 9 subjects for entry to Medicine, Dentistry etc. I have taught many students over the years who have entered those courses with just 7 subjects in the LC.

You don't have 'little choice'. Taking on 9 subjects is not giving a person peace of mind, it's giving them a heavy workload.

English would have been one of my worst subjects because I was rubbish at poetry and wasn't too keen on the drama end of things. I wouldn't have found either of them of any use to me after the LC, but I still had to study them and could argue in the same way if I chose that they impacted on the grades I could get for the CAO.
    No, you don't understand. Some people may not have a natural aptitude for the compulsory subjects and therefore have to take other subjects to achieve the A1s they need for their chosen course. Thankfully I'm not in that position, but surely you can see the logic in this?

<snip>

You talk and talk and talk yet say nothing of value. You take one word and create wild backstories to pull a few strawmen from to try and either distract the point or make it appear that you're "winning" the debate.

To start, let me clarify a few points. I was decent at Irish. Subjects i'm only "decent" at are of absolutely no use to me. In sixth year, I focused on the subjects that I enjoyed/needed for college and the subjects that I was best at. Those that didn't make the cut (Irish mainly) were left and my work for them reduced to "Bare minimum to pass HL".

You seemingly don't understand the mindset of a student who's aiming for a course with high points (550+). Once you've got the subjects you'll actually need sorted (In my case, Chemistry and Biology) you have to start thinking about which subjects you'll realistically be counting for points and which subjects to leave by the wayside.

After years of poor teaching, the amount of work that would have been necessary to bring up my Irish grade to something countable (Above a B2 in my case) was huge in comparison to self-teaching myself an entirely new subject.

Did you understand the point of anything I said?

Let me spell it out in bullet point form.
    • At the start of sixth year I was studying seven subjects.
    • Of those seven subjects, I had six that I could definitely see myself counting for points come August and one that I could see myself doing well in but not well enough to count for points.
    • I needed a minimum of 550 to get in to any of the courses on my CAO.
    • At the end of September I made the decision to completely give up on Irish and focus all the effort I used to put in to it in to self-teaching myself a new subject (Business).
    • I picked business for these reasons.
      • It's a subject that's well suited to self-directed learning.
      • I got an A in JC Business with little to no work.
      • I found many of the topics covered in business to be very interesting from a practical point of view and useful in life.
    In an ideal world, I could have dropped Irish and did Business instead in school. Studying seven subjects isn't too bad. Studying seven subjects with a dead corpse of a subject (That you still need to pass) latching on to you as work hard to do as well you as can is just a hindrance.

In summary
    Irish is not my cause for complaint. COMPULSORY Irish is my cause for complaint. You seemingly cannot differentiate between the two.

Fantastic, that still doesn't have anything to do with the main question of this thread.

Why is Irish compulsory?

Irish makes the "points race" even more difficult than it needs to be while offering little to no benefit for the vast majority of students.

Again, why is Irish compulsory? What is the logic in making it compulsory and not optional?

Why is that I wonder?

I'm not interested in reading any more of your irrelevant rhetoric. Please answer a simple question:

Why is Irish compulsory? What is special about Irish that makes it as fundamental to education as English and Maths?

No backstories(?), no strawmen (blaming Irish for the points race system?? you've got to be a crank to accuse me of pulling out strawmen with that tack, wind your neck in. What's next out of you?). It's been explained exhaustively why Irish holds the position it does and you refuse to take it in. Not Valid! Not Valid! Not Valid! Irish causes bowel cancer! Irish killed my hamster! Irish was spotted on the grassy knoll with high powered rifle!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Irish isn't fundamental to 'education', neither is English or Maths.

Somewhere along the line in Ireland 'education' got mixed up with 'doing subjects that are useful and practical for everyday life'.

Irish is compulsory because it is the first official language of the country.

Should it be compulsory? I don't know, not with so much irrational hatred towards the subject, I suppose.

Can you call a person 'educated' who can only converse in one language?
    Can you call a person 'educated' who knows nothing of their country's history or geography?
    Can you call a person 'educated' who makes basic grammar and spelling errors in their first language, or does not read books for pleasure?

I'm not talking about how many points they get in any exam, can you call them 'educated'?

Slightly thinking out loud here.

If you have six subjects and one dead subject, there's little to no room for error. If you have seven subjects and one dead subject, there's a larger margin of safety.

If you have six subjects and one dead subject, there's little to no room for error. If you have seven subjects and one dead subject, there's a larger margin of safety.

What's a dead subject when it's at home? One where you take an irrational dislike for it? Then take on an extra subject or two by choice and blame the former subject for the workload?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

partyatmygaff has a point, it is unfair to be forced to do a pointless (i'm sorry, i like it and all, but its pretty pointless) subject when you could do something else. but at the same time, no one i know who hates maths the way the majority of people hate irish will ever use differentiation or indices again - will anyone who hates maths ever use any of it again? probably not.

i think it applies to more than just irish in that case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

What's a dead subject when it's at home? One where you take an irrational dislike for it? Then take on an extra subject or two by choice and blame the former subject for the workload?

My interpretation of a 'dead subject' is one that a student has weighed all the options out and decided that their efforts are better directed towards a subject that will return greater rewards. For instance, I am doing 8 subjects, all higher, but I will not and have not put any effort into English as I deem it not worthy of the effort required for an A1.(Yet it's a nice solid ~C if something goes completely pearshaped on the day)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement