Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Sheeps wrote: »
    Define good price. What's your budget?

300 to 400 but if something is within a reasonable price from that i can stretch a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 19,714 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Secondhand Olympus E-M5 or E-M10 II would be one option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭romperstomper

now that the x-T30 is available, the X-T20 will go for this money second hand. I went from E-M5 to X-t20 and it is a considerable upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

300 to 400 but if something is within a reasonable price from that i can stretch a bit
    The cameras mentioned above or second-hand cameras are perfectly good for the price, where they fall down is on the lens selection. You sound like it's going to be your hobby from the original post. For that reason, I'd consider thinking about the lenses, which is ultimately where you will gain all of your longevity. Generally speaking, you don't necessarily purchase a camera, as much as you buy into a camera system.

At that price you mentioned, you could buy an entry-level Canon (who have more or less the best lens line up in the business), and quite a number of really good but cheap entry-level lenses for when you feel like expanding your kit a bit (if you find that you like photography).

Nikon, also have a decent variety of lenses, at arguably a smaller price point, however, their endgame probably isn't that strong when it comes to mirrorless, which is where the industry seems to be going (if you want to consider long term choices).

Sony, the prices start a little higher, I think but they also have one of the best mirrorless cameras on the market when you think of upgrading down the line. Their lenses are also quite good.

Other brands aren't too bad, in terms of camera features but really fall short on the lens selection.

There's no right answer, but a Canon EOS 1300D or a Nikon D3500 would be perfectly suitable for a beginner.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Menelaun

Hi,

Looking for a camera that I can capture video and photos on, Mainly for recording football matches and for team photographs and action shots etc
    So it would need a decent battery as the clubs pitch is wide and our current camera requires us to zoom in and out a lot

400/500 quid would be the budget and would also need a tripod to attach it too

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Menelaun wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking for a camera that I can capture video and photos on, Mainly for recording football matches and for team photographs and action shots etc
    So it would need a decent battery as the clubs pitch is wide and our current camera requires us to zoom in and out a lot

400/500 quid would be the budget and would also need a tripod to attach it too

Cheers

My suggestion as usual is a Canon M6. It's a very capable camera & within your budget. Decent lens selection and good video control. Battery is really good by my standards (a bit better than most), but you may need a second battery to get a full match in... I'd say it's the same for most cameras in that price range.

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/canon-eos-m6-mirrorless-digital-camera-with-ef-m-15-45mm-camera-kit-white.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Hi folks!

I'm looking to get back into photography after taking a break for some years.
    I'm just looking for advice on a good camera, preferably Canon. Largely just my own wanderings and nothing 'professional' (events, weddings etc).

I was looking at the Canon 4000D which seems to be the latest entry level camera, but with the model numbers all over the place with Canon, can anyone recommend a model or two up from that?

I'm currently using an old Finepix S6500, which while serving well really lacks an awful lot of functionality and a very low MP count (6.1MP I believe) compared to most modern phones and cameras.

Also, is IS pretty much built into lenses/cameras now?

edit: Meant to clarify. Would much, much prefer a DSLR. Style of photography is portraiture or of mechanical with an emphasis on detail and light.

Some more modern cameras have IS built into the body with the best being Olympus and Panasonic and Sony behind them. With Canon you need to buy IS lenses and it's not as effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Looking to upgrade from my D5500 to something better.

I am using the camera for the usual family shots, fast moving children along with some event and fashion shoot work.

I'm finding the AF, buffering and shutter speed and lack of hss or compatible is holding me back for the work use of the camera.

I'm looking at the D7200 or D7500.
    I'm aware of the lack of second card slot and battery grip but I'm not concerned about these. Camera is big enough as it is and I always have a spare battery with me.

The 4k is a nice bonus but won't be a deal breaker.

I'm thinking the 8fps, buffer and tilt screen is worth the extra cash ?

Most of my lenses are DX so I won't be going to FX just yet due to the cost of the glass.

Has anyone experience with these cameras ?
    Anyone used both and prefer one over the other ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I've had a Canon 400D w/battery grip which I picked up in USA back in 2007 (so its labelled as Digital Rebel XTi in North America) and I'm looking to finally replace it....well I'll still use it but I'd like a new DSLR with video.

I'd like to stay with Canon for the new DSLR but I'd also like to shoot video with the aim of adding my Tascam DR-05X Audio Recorder to improve the audio when shooting video since the mic's can suck on the camera's.

Also, I have some gear which I currently use with the Canon 400D including
    - Sigma 24-70
    - Sigma 10-20mm
    - Canon 50mm
    - Sigma 70-200
    - Speedlite 430ex

Few questions regarding getting a new Canon

- Would I be able to use my existing lens's with the newer model DSLR's? (I'm assuming I can and the flash should work fine).
    - I'm fairly green to the DSLR video and so would only certain models have the option to connect in the Tascam DR-05X using the kit it uses? (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tascam-AK-DR11-°C-Accessory-Kit/dp/B00H5DC3LO/)

Most importantly, what would people recommend for a new Canon?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

In short. Yes you can get a more modern Canon that will shoot video and be able to use your old lenses. Canon's lineup is a bit on the confusing side imo, and really we'd need to know your budget?

Almost any camera is going to be a huge upgrade coming from a 400D. That camera is ancient, and almost any new camera will produce lovely clean images in comparison to the 400D. Canon can be on the restrictive side in terms of video, so you might have to do some thinking as to what you want from the camera. Is 4k important? If so Canon is a bit difficult on that front, almost all of their cameras (maybe all of them actually), suffer from cropping when shooting 4k and other issues. If you're looking at shooting 1080p only then you should be able to find something that fits the bill.

You mic will also work well. I'm not familiar with it, does it have a line out to allow you to connect directly to the camera? Or is it standalone? It doesn't matter too much, it just means there will be some work in post.

I think I'd look at the Canon M50. Now this is a mirrorless camera, and you will have to buy a Canon lens adapter to allow it to accept your current lenses. But it is the best budget video Canon option imo. For shooting 1080p it produces fantastic video, and up to 60p as well which is quite nice. It is a very small camera which may be good or bad depending on what you want.

In short. Yes you can get a more modern Canon that will shoot video and be able to use your old lenses. Canon's lineup is a bit on the confusing side imo, and really we'd need to know your budget?

Almost any camera is going to be a huge upgrade coming from a 400D. That camera is ancient, and almost any new camera will produce lovely clean images in comparison to the 400D. Canon can be on the restrictive side in terms of video, so you might have to do some thinking as to what you want from the camera. Is 4k important? If so Canon is a bit difficult on that front, almost all of their cameras (maybe all of them actually), suffer from cropping when shooting 4k and other issues. If you're looking at shooting 1080p only then you should be able to find something that fits the bill.

You mic will also work well. I'm not familiar with it, does it have a line out to allow you to connect directly to the camera? Or is it standalone? It doesn't matter too much, it just means there will be some work in post.

I think I'd look at the Canon M50. Now this is a mirrorless camera, and you will have to buy a Canon lens adapter to allow it to accept your current lenses. But it is the best budget video Canon option imo. For shooting 1080p it produces fantastic video, and up to 60p as well which is quite nice. It is a very small camera which may be good or bad depending on what you want.

+1 for the M50

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Should have said, around 600-700e

4k would be nice, but I'm not prepared to blow the budget to get it.
    Would be nice to somewhat future proof it of course.

Mic has a line out that can connect directly to the camera using the kit mentioned in my post. It then can sit on the flashmount on-top of the camera. I got the mic for another task but would like to benefit from the superior audio it'll produce over the built in camera mic.

I'd likely see smaller being a pain when you add the heavier lens imho
    400D w/battery grip + flash + 24-70mm wasn't exactly light to be fair :P
    I'll miss having the battery grip, was great for the great battery life but gave a good balance to the camera and made holding it for portrait mode a pleasure.

I did spot the M50 and does look the job, is this the lens adapter you were referencing?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-6098B005-Mount-Adapter-EF-EOS/dp/B008O0IE2Y/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

That's one option for adapters, this would do the job at a quarter of the price:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Ring-Canon-M-Meike-MK-C-AF4/dp/B00YES32HM/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_421_tr_t_2

I totally understand the size issue. I think I'd be the same tbh, I'm shooting a Canon Eos R at the minute which is smaller than my previous 60D but still sizeable.

The thing is that the M50 is just much better bang for buck compared to the 800D which is the next in line in terms of DSLR options. The body only option is in budget, but it offers perhaps worse specs in a lot of ways. Older processor, same sensor, and the EVF is debatable perhaps but I reckon it's a game changer. The video on the 800D is not as good as on the M50 either.

And actually, I'd have to question just how much difference in size there really is between these cameras. Just googling a bit there, the grips are almost identical. The M50 is smaller as it does not need a mirror box. But the dimensions that matter when holding the camera are quite similar. It is much lighter as well. There is no battery grip for the M50 though, which might be annoying.

That's one option for adapters, this would do the job at a quarter of the price:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Ring-Canon-M-Meike-MK-C-AF4/dp/B00YES32HM/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_421_tr_t_2

I totally understand the size issue. I think I'd be the same tbh, I'm shooting a Canon Eos R at the minute which is smaller than my previous 60D but still sizeable.

The thing is that the M50 is just much better bang for buck compared to the 800D which is the next in line in terms of DSLR options. The body only option is in budget, but it offers perhaps worse specs in a lot of ways. Older processor, same sensor, and the EVF is debatable perhaps but I reckon it's a game changer. The video on the 800D is not as good as on the M50 either.

And actually, I'd have to question just how much difference in size there really is between these cameras. Just googling a bit there, the grips are almost identical. The M50 is smaller as it does not need a mirror box. But the dimensions that matter when holding the camera are quite similar. It is much lighter as well. There is no battery grip for the M50 though, which might be annoying.

Appreciate the assistance on this,
    I might try getting a look at the M50 in flesh in a local shop before I commit but it looks like it'll do what I want. Now just need to put the money together :D

Cabaal wrote: »
    Appreciate the assistance on this,
    I might try getting a look at the M50 in flesh in a local shop before I commit but it looks like it'll do what I want. Now just need to put the money together :D

Yeah I should have mentioned that going out and seeing both would be the best next step. Although... in saying that I went out and bought the Eos R without ever seeing one in the flesh. Just walked in and out of the shop like I was buying a bottle of coke! Ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Cabaal wrote: »
    Few questions regarding getting a new Canon

- Would I be able to use my existing lens's with the newer model DSLR's? (I'm assuming I can and the flash should work fine).
    - I'm fairly green to the DSLR video and so would only certain models have the option to connect in the Tascam DR-05X using the kit it uses? (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tascam-AK-DR11-°C-Accessory-Kit/dp/B00H5DC3LO/)

Most importantly, what would people recommend for a new Canon?

Can you use your old lenses - yes, no problem at all.

Ditto for the flash.

Can you use the Tascam - yes, no, maybe. You will need to ensure that the model you choose has a line-in connection, and the entry-level EOS models (e.g. 1200D) don't. Most of the one-level-up models do, though, but check the specs. That said, I've got a Tascam DR05 (for my 70D) and never use it to feed audio to the camera because it does a far better job doing what it was made for, i.e. taking its own inputs and recording them locally. Instead, I use the crappy sound from the in-camera mic for synch in post, or - if I really want half-decent audio recorded direct to camera - use a Røde directional mic.

Which model? Contrary to the advice given by others, I would suggest you stick with a Canon for now. You're already familiar with the brand, and if you're only starting into video (forgive me if I'm making an incorrect assumption :pac: ) your learning curve will be steep enough without adding additional factors (like sound recording :rolleyes: )

My daughter uses a (ten? year old) 60D for her video projects and gets perfectly good images from it.* Keep your cash for another lens or two, a lavalier mic, a decent light, a decent tripod, a decent gimbal ... because no amount of 4k will make up for an out-of-focus shaky image with audio that no-one can hear! :cool:

*(At least she would if she'd listen to her father and turn off auto focus! :mad: )

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Also, Magic Lantern ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Hi chaps,

I would like to have a go at photography again (mainly landscapes and a bit of wildlife) but don’t know where to start, I don’t want to spend a fortune to begin with as I might not be as interested as I think I am!

So the question is do I go for - (all Nikon) d300/s + 16-80, d5600 + 16-80, d7500 with 18-140 kit Len, d500 16-80 or the new z6 with the 24-70?

I think that’s all.

Hope You guys can help me decide.

Tia.

Monkey.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Hi chaps,

I would like to have a go at photography again (mainly landscapes and a bit of wildlife) but don’t know where to start, I don’t want to spend a fortune to begin with as I might not be as interested as I think I am!

So the question is do I go for - (all Nikon) d300/s + 16-80, d5600 + 16-80, d7500 with 18-140 kit Len, d500 16-80 or the new z6 with the 24-70?

I think that’s all.

Hope You guys can help me decide.

Tia.

Monkey.

There are better people than me that can answer this question but I can highly recommend the D7500 from that list
    I've had the D3500, D5500 and now the D7500
    Apart from moving to full frame (if I ever do) I am now happy with the body I'm using
    The LCD display, full manual controls and overall feel of the D7500 is fantastic.
    There is only one card slot, no official vertical grip and Snapbridge is a pain but I find the pros far outway the cons
    8FPS and a 50shot buffer makes it brilliant for wildlife too, in fact there is a FB group for the camera and 90% of the shots are wildlife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

will56 wrote: »
    There are better people than me that can answer this question but I can highly recommend the D7500 from that list
    I've had the D3500, D5500 and now the D7500
    Apart from moving to full frame (if I ever do) I am now happy with the body I'm using
    The LCD display, full manual controls and overall feel of the D7500 is fantastic.
    There is only one card slot, no official vertical grip and Snapbridge is a pain but I find the pros far outway the cons
    8FPS and a 50shot buffer makes it brilliant for wildlife too, in fact there is a FB group for the camera and 90% of the shots are wildlife.

Thanks will,

I have been giving the d7500 some serious consideration and it’s also a good price at the moment.

Thanks again.

M.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Thanks will,

I have been giving the d7500 some serious consideration and it’s also a good price at the moment.

Thanks again.

M.

Check Ebay as well, some great value on some lightly used ones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Hi everyone,

As you can guess I'm looking for a camera recommendation. I'm heading to Iceland in October and using it as an excuse to buy my first ever camera but I'm clueless as to what to get : compact vs DSLR etc. And I don't know what are necessary or not and so on. I played with the idea of getting a gopro for action shots and with risk or water from waterfalls etc but I think I want a proper camera that will do me for years for events like weddings , holidays, party's etc. Budget of 200-300 and am happy to buy 2nd hand for the right camera. Thanks

Hi everyone,

As you can guess I'm looking for a camera recommendation. I'm heading to Iceland in October and using it as an excuse to buy my first ever camera but I'm clueless as to what to get : compact vs DSLR etc. And I don't know what are necessary or not and so on. I played with the idea of getting a gopro for action shots and with risk or water from waterfalls etc but I think I want a proper camera that will do me for years for events like weddings , holidays, party's etc. Budget of 200-300 and am happy to buy 2nd hand for the right camera. Thanks

Get something that can grow with your ability... I'd suggest a Canon M100 system lens camera (for your budget). Gives you ease of use, more complex function as you progress and the ability to upgrade without moving to another system in the short to medium term...

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Get something that can grow with your ability... I'd suggest a Canon M100 system lens camera (for your budget). Gives you ease of use, more complex function as you progress and the ability to upgrade without moving to another system in the short to medium term...

Canon EOS M100 Black + EF-M 15-45mm IS STM Lens Black EF-M 55-200mm IS STM Lens Black

Available 2nd hand almost new for €375, would this be a good buy?

Yeh, not bad if it's in good condition. The 55-200 is a fantastic long lens for zooming in on your subject taking portraits etc, and the 15-45 is an all around lens that'll do landscapes, street shots and stuff...

I'm a divel and got a bunch of lenses for the system. 22mm prime is good for night time shooting and the 11-22 is fantastic for wide angle, interiors and landscapes... My body is the m6. I'll add the 28mm macro at some stage.

You'll really benefit from having both of those lenses.

My 2 options that i can find within budget are:

Nikon JI (€150)

Olympus EPL7 (€350)

Canon EoS M100 with 15-44mm and 55-200mm lenses (€325) or

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II Camera with no lense (€200)

If olympus which lens is best for all round shots of landscape, matches, family events?

My 2 options that i can find within budget are:

Nikon JI (€150)

Olympus EPL7 (€350)

Canon EoS M100 with 15-44mm and 55-200mm lenses (€325) or

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II Camera with no lense (€200)

If olympus which lens is best for all round shots of landscape, matches, family events?

The best Olympus lens for that sort of general use, costs more than those cameras - The 12-100mm f4 Pro. At less lofty performance and price levels, the 12-50mm f3.6/6.3 is a good performer. I have one and it has great utility with a good price performance ratio. I also have the better, but more expensive, heavier and larger 12-40mm f2.8 Pro. Performance wise it's the best ' standard ' lens in the Olympus line-up, but...

• Advertisement

Just a question on Micro 4/3 systems used by Olympus & Panasonic etc... There is allot of talk that the system is running out of steam, that the image circle limits the size of sensor that can be used and thus limits the future deveopment of bodies for the system... I had this problem with my last system (Pentax Q)... it came to the point where I needed to upgrade the body after investing allot in the system, but no body was available with the (relatively normal) spec I required... I ended up having to sell it off at a heavy loss & spend more again rebuilding my setup.

Don't get me wrong, Micro 4/3 it is an astonishingly good system, but the advice I recieved was not to invest in it as a new user... only if you have a large collection of legacy equipment... The main takeway for me is the poor autofocus on newer cameras compared to the new Sony, Canon & Nikon models.

One reason I chose the Canon M system was the relative low cost of entry & the affordability of lenses... As the previous commenter mentioned, lenses for Micro 4/3 can cost well in excess of the bodies. I generally look at the cost of a wide angle zoom, as it's a lens I need most, I got mine for about €250 new, a similar lens for the Olympus system is over €500. I can't justify the high cost of a system, but I also can't see how a more expensive system would benefit me... My current setup is way more capable than my ability & it will remain so for a long time.

Advertisement