Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

bren2002 wrote: »
    Nikons
    Consumer
    3xxx very entry level
    5xxx mid range consumer, good value
    7xxx higher end but still consumer

The rest you can safely avoid.
    If you can get a good used 5xxx you'll be flying.

Thanks for the quick reply

5xxx range looks out of my price range going by a quick adverts search

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

TheDoc wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply

5xxx range looks out of my price range going by a quick adverts search

If you bring your budget up a little to 400-450 you should be able to buy d5300 with kit lens easily.

It is a great camera at that price point tbh.

Alternatively look for older models for peanuts and start from there. I would rather wait and add 100 euro to the budget, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

What is the difference between a Nikon 18-55 VR Lens Kit and an 18-55 VR II compact lens kit. Academic question probably! Thanks for reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

bren2002 wrote: »
    Nikons
    Consumer
    3xxx very entry level
    5xxx mid range consumer, good value
    7xxx higher end but still consumer

The rest you can safely avoid.
    If you can get a good used 5xxx you'll be flying.

Just wondering what the 5xxx offers over the 3xxx other than a tilty swivelly screen? Do the corresponding releases use the same sensor?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭GBX

You can use this site for comparing particular models
    https://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/cameras

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    Just wondering what the 5xxx offers over the 3xxx other than a tilty swivelly screen? Do the corresponding releases use the same sensor?

They can use the same sensor and internal components, light meters etc. Mostly it's the ability to get at the features 3xxx might not have as many advanced features as the 5xxx and 7xxx. 5xxx will make accessing advanced features easier and 7xxx makes its easier still, extra buttons etc. The 5xxx will force you through a menu system to get to a function while the 7xxx will have a direct access button.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

Hibrasil wrote: »
    What is the difference between a Nikon 18-55 VR Lens Kit and an 18-55 VR II compact lens kit. Academic question probably! Thanks for reply.

Most likely just different generations of the same product, but depends a bit on exactly what the model number of each is. i.e. "Nikon 18-55mm VR AF-P" is actually newer than "Nikon 18-55mm VR II" despite the II in the latter, while "Nikon 18-55mm VR" is older than both.

If you have the full model numbers and search them with Ken Rockwell's name he's generally good about linking new lenses to their predecessors in pretty comprehensive reviews. Another gotcha is that if it's an AF-P lens it's probably the newest generation of a given lens at the moment, but but with the caveat that it will be compatible with fewer bodies as older ones (before D3300/D5300, for example) don't support them.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Heiser

My gf wants a new camera for her birthday to replace her old Nikon D50. Im totally clueless about this stuff. What would be a good second hand Nikon I could get for about 300quid that would be a decent upgrade?

Thanks in advance

Thinking about buying as Canon 450D as entry level. Anyone have any experience with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Hibrasil wrote: »
    The VR II is smaller and more compact that is the main.difference.

• Advertisement

Thinking about buying as Canon 450D as entry level. Anyone have any experience with it?

As entry level cameras go nikon does things better. Unless you have a collection of lenses for a canon dslr then id get a nikon instead.

Ben D Bus wrote: »

The main difference between the two is that d5300/5500
    Has better auto focus than the d3300/3400. The d3300/3400 has only 11 autofocus points whereas the d5300/d5500 has 39.

If you step up to the d7100/d7200 they gain important features that are missing on the lower end models inculding a much better 51 point autofucus system operational down to -3 ev(will still focus in very low light)
    and autofocus finetune, a really essential feature that should also be on the lower models because some lenses will have focus issues and this gives the ability to correct this.

They also have a top screen, weather sealing(provided the lens is also weather sealed) a better stronger body etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    As entry level cameras go nikon does things better. Unless you have a collection of lenses for a canon dslr then id get a nikon instead.
    /Yawns

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Nikon just cancelled their entire line of entry level mirrorless cameras... Many disgruntled & unhappy customers who spent allot of money to buy into the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Nikon just cancelled their entire line of entry level mirrorless cameras... Many disgruntled & unhappy customers who spent allot of money to buy into the system.

Would this range have been in the entry level DSLR price range?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,714 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The brand blindness in this country to anything other than Nikon and Canon is profound. This blindness would be the only reason I can fathom why anyone would have bought into the Nikon mirrorless sytem instead of the Olympus/Panasonic micro four thirds mirrorless system with it's vastly more mature ecosystem, particularly in the range and number of available lenses.

Never liked their mirrorless systems tbh. As the poster above has said, panasonic and olympus have better systems and a much better and broader range of lenses.

Nikons entry level dslrs are decent though and offer great image quality for a small price.

Never liked their mirrorless systems tbh. As the poster above has said, panasonic and olympus have better systems and a much better and broader range of lenses.

Nikons entry level dslrs are decent though and offer great image quality for a small price.

While Nikon entry level cameras are great, used d40x for years before giving it away, lens selection is more expensive unfortunately.

Going slr route comes with a price, and one needs to check all prices before going into one system.

I hate Nikon vs Canon debates. Its all down to cost of what you need. Other than that great pictures can be taken with both. If you have no basic understanding of photography you will see no difference at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

wonski wrote: »
    While Nikon entry level cameras are great, used d40x for years before giving it away, lens selection is more expensive unfortunately.

Going slr route comes with a price, and one needs to check all prices before going into one system.

I hate Nikon vs Canon debates. Its all down to cost of what you need. Other than that great pictures can be taken with both. If you have no basic understanding of photography you will see no difference at all.

It would be difficult to advise a beginner/new camera user to go DSLR unless they intended to become a professional photographer, sports shooter or other specific. Mirrorless is on the rise and unless you have legacy glass it would be a bold move to invest in DSLR. DSLR will not go away, nor will its development stop or it's high end use be stifled, however mirrorless is entering a stage of heavy development & would be the natural choice for a beginner/new user... someone who intends to build up their own equipment from scratch.

We are going to see new FF Mirrorless from Nikon & Canon this year, while it is likely (Canon at least) will be able to use legacy lenses, it would still be better to go Mirrorless.

Music to my ears

• Advertisement

It would be difficult to advise a beginner/new camera user to go DSLR unless they intended to become a professional photographer, sports shooter or other specific. Mirrorless is on the rise and unless you have legacy glass it would be a bold move to invest in DSLR. DSLR will not go away, nor will its development stop or it's high end use be stifled, however mirrorless is entering a stage of heavy development & would be the natural choice for a beginner/new user... someone who intends to build up their own equipment from scratch.

We are going to see new FF Mirrorless from Nikon & Canon this year, while it is likely (Canon at least) will be able to use legacy lenses, it would still be better to go Mirrorless.

While I agree with the concept, I doubt mirror makes a difference tbh. There are people who just need point and shoot cameras. If they have any idea of how to compose the picture, they will do just fine.

Most people have no clue, nothing wrong with that, they have different hobbies. You can't expect everyone to know what aperture or 1/60 is.

Hi, looking for a bit of advice. Trying to buy my girlfriend a decent dslr as a present. She currently uses an ancient Nikon D50.

Ive done some research and I think the Nikon d3400 looks good, I can get one without a lens for 330ish online. Around 400 with an af-p 18-55 f3 5-5.6 VR lens. Question is, should I or do I need to get the lens? Looking at the lens on her current camera it's an AF-S 18-70 DX. Is it worth getting the other lens?

Also, opinions in a d3400? I'm not into photography and haven't a clue, but this camera looks decent from my limited knowledge.

Any advice would be appreciated.

If she already have a lens then just get camera only. What's your budget?

If she already have a lens then just get camera only. What's your budget?

Around 350ish. She has a Nikon lens and likes nikon so was hoping to stick with them

Heiser wrote: »
    Around 350ish. She has a Nikon lens and likes nikon so was hoping to stick with them

If you can top it up a little to get 5xxx rather than 3xxx it could serve her for another few years and will be an improvement.

You can get one from those grey import places for around 400 I think. Worth every penny compared to 3xxx.

Edit : please make sure her lens has built in motor for focusing.

If you can top it up a little to get 5xxx rather than 3xxx it could serve her for another few years and will be an improvement.

You can get one from those grey import places for around 400 I think. Worth every penny compared to 3xxx.

Edit : please make sure her lens has built in motor for focusing.

Cheers thanks for the reply. Will look and see what I can get in the 5xxx range.

Her current lens has m/a m on the side with a little switch- I presume that means it has a built in motor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Heiser wrote: »
    Cheers thanks for the reply. Will look and see what I can get in the 5xxx range.

Her current lens has m/a m on the side with a little switch- I presume that means it has a built in motor?

Thats the auto-focus,
    Need to look for AF/AF-S

will56 wrote: »
    Thats the auto-focus,
    Need to look for AF/AF-S

Yep it has AF-S, so it has a motor from what I see on Google. So no need for me to buy another lens. Can spend all the money trying to get the best camera.
    Cheers for all the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

The 18-70 is a fine lens too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

Hi,

My daughter (10) has taken an interest in photography and recording videos.

Obviously while I'd like to nurture this interest I don't want to break the bank by buying a very expensive SLR or compact system camera.

So, can someone recommend a good "beginner" camera that would be suitable for her to start this hobby?

A budget of €150 (but could stretch if there was something with serious value going for a bit more)

Neames

Advertisement