Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irishisms that will confuse Londoners . . .

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Mahon Tribunal

When is a lie not a lie

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Mahon Tribunal

When is a lie not a lie

Oh Christ, please God no. If this nonsense picks up here, I may have to emigrate again.

Fysh wrote: »
    Oh Christ, please God no. If this nonsense picks up here, I may have to emigrate again.

My engkish mates refuse to believeme when I tell thamabout Irish poitics, funny enough my Portugese bosshas no problemscomprehending

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Do they not take the piss out of our political system on Mock The Week or Not The 9 O'Clock News?

Do they not take the piss out of our political system on Mock The Week or Not The 9 O'Clock News?

besidesCowen, never really comes up

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Maybe they did in 1980 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

LordSutch wrote: »
    Now now, be nice to our neighbours :rolleyes:

Another one I have just thought of is 'Ghee' which obviously has a rather rude meaning & a different spelling in Ireland, but in London its a well known type of butter in many ethnic shops!

Can I have some Ghee please, go on try it for a laugh :D

You can find that in the fridge of my local shop in Cork too!
    Not that unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭cbreeze

'poorly'. when said in Britain it means the patient is a bit ill, nothing much the matter. When said in Ireland it means the family are kneeling round the bedside saying the rosary and/or looking for the will.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭pirateninja

Using "will" instead of "shall" and adding "so" onto the start or end of sentances. "Will I meet you at 5pm so?" got me some strange looks from my boyfriend and flatmates last night and I was quickly corrected! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭marozz

Many years ago in a London bar I asked for a whiskey and red. I got a funny look from the barman and he came back with a whiskey and black currant juice. Also, asking where the toilet is i.e. " Where's the jacks pal?" can also cause confusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

Using "will" instead of "shall" and adding "so" onto the start or end of sentances. "Will I meet you at 5pm so?" got me some strange looks from my boyfriend and flatmates last night and I was quickly corrected! :confused:

I'd tell them I'll start using "shall" when they return to using "ye" as the second person plural. Otherwise, how is a person to know if they are being asked about themselves or if they're being asked to speak for a group.

I'd also ask them if the construction "Shall I meet you at 5pm then?", "Go on then" or "That's fine then" sounds familiar, and if so, why do they add a "then" to the end when it's not needed? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭John C

I recall the strange look when an Irishman said to two Londoners.
    "I do not have a dog's meas on that workmanship"
    Better: "I have no respect for that workmanship"

Irish: "Paddy is cute out"
    Londoners: "Paddy is devious"
    When I am in Ireland and people use that word "cute",
    I ask: "cute as in cuddly", "cute as in clever" or "cute as in devious".

Irish: Good wans get to heaven
    Londoners: Good girls get to heaven

Irish person in a pub wondering where his buddy is: Where is your man?
    Londoner: Where is the man whom you know. Where is my mate?

English born and bred people also use colloquailisms.
    Jam butty = jam sandwich
    Boozer, Chipper
    Apples and pears = stairs
    Swan Vestas = matches
    Dolly posh = left handed
    Right mate= how are you...
    You what mate=I beg your pardon

John C wrote: »
    I recall the strange look when an Irishman said to two Londoners.
    "I do not have a dog's meas on that workmanship"

I'm Irish and I wouldn't have a f-ing clue what that meant either!

I think it's easy enough to confuse colloquialisms with general "Irishisms" that are used by all of us. I mean, half the time you can't understand colloquialisms from the next county, or a different part of the same city/county in Ireland. The same applies in England there are huge differences in speech and language as you travel around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Irish man walks into shop, can I have a pan please.

Ten minutes later . . . . Ah ha, so you want a loaf of bread :D

First time ever outside of Ireland, first time further than five miles from cow sh!te as they say, and quite literally ten minutes off the plane. Asked for a "scotch and red" in Heathrow airport bar. Barman asked me if I could speak English! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

I thought sambo meant sandwich

jayzus.

Just remembered another one. Was putting money into my bank account in Barclays some years back.

Told the teller I wanted to make a lodgment....
    "You wanna make an allotment?"
    "No, what's that? I want to make a lodgment."
    "What's that?"
    "I want to lodge money in my account"
    "You wanna do what with your money?"
    "Put it into my account"
    "Oh! I see."
    etc, etc, etc.....

I mean WTF else does anyone call a lodgment in any bank in the world?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I mean WTF else does anyone call a lodgment in any bank in the world?
    The word you're looking for there is "deposit" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Ouchette

John C wrote: »

English born and bred people also use colloquailisms.
    Jam butty = jam sandwich
    Boozer, Chipper
    Apples and pears = stairs
    Swan Vestas = matches
    Dolly posh = left handed
    Right mate= how are you...
    You what mate=I beg your pardon

Hmm. I'm 'English born and bred' and always lived in the London area except for the 3 years I spent in Dublin.

The most common slang for sandwich around here by far is sarnie, although I might say chip butty or bacon butty (i.e if it's hot and came from a dodgy chip van) but never jam butty.

It's chippy, not chipper here.

No one EVER says apples and pears. Rhyming slang is used, but that's a bad example.

Never heard Swan Vestas said for matches, but I suppose I would understand it.

Never heard of dolly posh before even though I'm left-handed and I wouldn't have a clue what you were on about. I googled it and it turns out it's Yorkshire dialect.

It's 'all right mate' which sounds like 'awrigh' ma'e' or just 'awrigh'?' and it means hi.

Also, giving out = 'having a go at'

Rhyming slang will confuse anyone who doesn't know it though, including Londoners.

I remember someone ranting and raving about how they'd been 'slipped a rubbery Gregory'.

Turned out it was a bounced cheque.

Rubber = bouncy.
    Gregory (Peck) = Cheque.

To be fair, I don't think most Londoners would have got that one!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

If someone told me they'd been slipped a rubbery Gregory I'd think they meant something rude :o

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Two words you should never be heard using in London are "any craic ?".

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭woof im a dog

as the fella says
    pronouncing assuming as assuming
    acting the maggot as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Speaking of acting the maggot, bold for misbehaving kids — it's naughty over here.

& someone mentioned poorly earlier. I found strange that if you missed work & said you were sick, that means that you physically threw up. Was getting looks of concern. Turns out you were ill otherwise.

One I found with not necessarily English, but with other foreigners in London — I've the habit of saying 'I might' when looking for something in a shop.

"I might just have a cup of coffee"

Didn't realise it was open to interpretation until I saw the look on the girl's face wondering if I'd made up my mind about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

English people in London, not that there are many of them, all say pushchair instead of pram. Also, poorly instead of sick.

I have never heard an Irish person say either of those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

That's gas (me)

Eh, no, I think it's electric (puzzled English person)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

"Look at that yoke over there" (me)
    "What yoke?" :confused: (my confused listener)

English people in London, not that there are many of them, all say pushchair instead of pram. Also, poorly instead of sick.

I have never heard an Irish person say either of those things.

A pushchair's a buggy in Ireland or a stroller in US English.

A pram's a big huge thing with wheels on it, like a 19th century version. It comes from a shortening of Perambulator, an old Victorian term.

I might have a cup of coffee is also an old-fashioned type of way of saying "may I have"
    Might I have ..... my good man!

It does sound like you haven't made your mind up if you say "I might have ...."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

LordSutch wrote: »
    Another one I have just thought of is 'Ghee' which obviously has a rather rude meaning & a different spelling in Ireland, but in London its a well known type of butter in many ethnic shops!

Can I have some Ghee please, go on try it for a laugh :D

Dublin term possibly?
    I never ever heard ghee until I read it on boards.ie
    Doesn't exist in the midlands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

It definitely exists in the midlands.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement