Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irishisms that will confuse Londoners . . .

Options
  • 07-03-2012 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

Irishman new to London/England walks into a shop and asks for a Sliced Pan! You can imagine the puzzled look on the faces of those serving, & those listening to this uniquely Irish request, > a slice what mate? a Pan, what, like a frying pan? you what mate? you want the hardware department mate, No? a half pan, you been on the spliff mate? what's that? total confusion > Better off asking for 'a loaf of bread' please :D

Irishman just arrived into Euston train station from Holyhead, walks into newsagent and promptly loses his wallet, asks staff where he can contact the Gards, slightly puzzled they look at him, 'Guards'? so they tell him to go back down to the platforms, maybe he will find one on a train? > Better off asking for the Police mate, guards in England are men who work on the trains :D

Those are two true stories, and if anybody else has any other amusing 'Irishisms' that are common to Ireland, but lost on Londoners, then please add them to this thread, for us all to enjoy. Finally, a word of caution to those just off the boat, don't ask any black people where you can pick up a Sambo, as this word has a totally different meaning outside of Ireland, as I discovered to my shock many moons ago while doing the lunch order . . .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Housemate enquires of an Irishman as to where some miscellaneous cooking instrument is. Is mightily confused by being told to look in the 'press'. Eventually the back and forth is resolved with a 'Oh, you meant look in the cupboard'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Is sambo a racist term? Not being smart, I don't know. I think I'd probably offend someone too without meaning it. Don't answer this, I'll go look it up now

OP, Irish Rail have guards too. And some trains have the guards van if you want to store your bike in there.

Anyway

A what? A rock shandy? What's that?

And the poor Brits seem unaware of the drink of the gods that is Red Lemonade. Some pubs have it in that gun dispenser thing they have but it's rare, very rare

Don't walk into your local London shop and ask for Taytos

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Is sambo a racist term? Not being smart, I don't know. I think I'd probably offend someone too without meaning it. Don't answer this, I'll go look it up now
    Yeah, "Sambo" is a bit like "N*gger" in that it was once a term in general use, but became a term of abuse as the equal rights movement moved on.
    Ireland, having very few black people, let alone black slaves, would not have heard the word very much, hence why most Irish still don't consider sambo to be an offensive term. It's not. Not in this country anyway.

My wife lived in London for two years and the biggest things she would get slagged over are saying "yer man/yer wan" or "thanks a mill". The latter she says all the time, I'm not sure why it seems so odd. Maybe it seems too enthusiastic a "thanks" when someone has only sold you a pan of bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

when working behind the bar could always spot the wans just off the boat when they asked for a bag of taytos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

"Hey Guard! Is this Piccadilly Circus? "

"Yes sir, it is."

"Good, what time does it start? "

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

seamus wrote: »
    Yeah, "Sambo" is a bit like "N*gger" in that it was once a term in general use, but became a term of abuse as the equal rights movement moved on.
    Ireland, having very few black people, let alone black slaves, would not have heard the word very much, hence why most Irish still don't consider sambo to be an offensive term. It's not. Not in this country anyway.

Way back in nineteen-dickety (we didn't have numbers back them 'cause the Kaiser had stolen 'em) that might have been true, but I dispute the assertion that anyone with any awareness whatsoever of the world as it exists beyond the end of their own nose these days could live outside of Ireland and continue to think that a term like "sambo" is devoid of problematic history or connotations. It's not like Ireland has some sort of magic history whereby we've never had any race-related issues and so the concept is simply alien to us.

Bear in mind that the same logic you're using there would excuse any given English person for not understanding why Irish people "don't like the English".

In terms of hiberno-English conventions that I consider "normal" but which have occasionally confused English people here, I particularly find the corkonian double-positive-as-negative to be problematic. For some reason, a sarcastic "I will, yeah" isn't immediately obvious in its meaning to non-Irish/Scots :rolleyes:

And then there's red lemonade. I remember looks of derision from several English friends when I tried to get this in pubs...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

A "glass" - I went into a pub in Manchester and asked for 2 pints of Boddingtons and a glass of cider....."they all come in glasses mate!"

Ask for a "half".

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

A "glass" - I went into a pub in Manchester and asked for 2 pints of Boddingtons and a glass of cider....."they all come in glasses mate!"

Ask for a "half".
    That's caught me out too :o It's happens more than once in places that have Leffe on tap which annoys me a bit, because if you're working in a bar that has Leffe on tap you should know that:
    a) there are particular glasses you're supposed to use for Leffe, and
    b) you're not supposed to serve Leffe by the pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

"Will you get a litre of milk in the shop"..a, litre? Is that like two pinter? Grrr..

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

'Giving out' to someone is completely lost on people over here, which is a bit strange.

Also, if I'm late for work and I apologise and say I 'slept in' everyone starts laughing. Apparently I should be saying I 'overslept' :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

"Sorry I'm late, I slept it out." U wo' maite?

"A half pound of rashers please" ???

"A head of cabbage please"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,334 ✭✭✭Tefral

"Your one" or "Your Man"

They dont have a clue what im talking about when i say that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

"Washing the delph", having "rashers" for breakfast, saying you got "thick" with somebody when they annoyed you, constant use of "like" in sentences. I could probably come up with loads more, but I was very quick to step up from being a "bogger" when I moved to London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Try asking for scallions in the shop!

Scallions is totaly lost on English people, 'Spring Onions' is the translation :))

LordSutch wrote: »
    Try asking for scallions in the shop! ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scallion Ah the poor feckers are showing their lack of classical education; the botanical name for scallions is derived from the town of Ashkelon in Ancient Greece; any Brits that ever went there were simply grave-robbers, not looking to be educated as well as us.

Now now, be nice to our neighbours :rolleyes:

Another one I have just thought of is 'Ghee' which obviously has a rather rude meaning & a different spelling in Ireland, but in London its a well known type of butter in many ethnic shops!

Can I have some Ghee please, go on try it for a laugh :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

"Will you get a litre of milk in the shop"..a, litre? Is that like two pinter? Grrr..

Do they not sell by the litre?

If so, there's another thing I've learned from this thread

"Jacinta your chicken is on'y gorgeous. Howja cook it?"

"I fried it in ghee after marinading it over-night"

"Ya did wha'? Did I fecken hear ya righ', righ'? O good jaypaus, I feel sick"

"Yes I learned about it in England from the Asians"

"You learned about ghee in England? You never heard about it here? I think I'm going to faint. Well answer me this then smarty pants, if ya fried it in ghee, then how come it still smells like chicken?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Aoifebm

Allergic! Is it only in Cork where you can be allergic to a person?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

LordSutch wrote: »
    Now now, be nice to our neighbours :rolleyes:

Another one I have just thought of is 'Ghee' which obviously has a rather rude meaning & a different spelling in Ireland, but in London its a well known type of butter in many ethnic shops!

Can I have some Ghee please, go on try it for a laugh :D

You think that's bad... http://lovegeebag.blogspot.com/

100% serious as far as I can tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

serrity wrote: »
    You think that's bad... http://lovegeebag.blogspot.com/

100% serious as far as I can tell.

Pissed myself when i looked at that first haha, but on closer inspection there's chinese writing on the bag it doesn't say gee, was going to order one for the gf if it did ha ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

'Story?'
    What story do you speak of?

'I'm allergic!'
    What do you have an allergy to?'

'Cidona please.'
    o.O

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭afatbollix

The press one has had me shouting at people.. One person even started to look in the fridge and the Ironing board..

Numptys I tell ya!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭maggiep2010

I'm a primary school teacher...

"get the copies out of the press please.."
    "What?"
    "get the copies out of the press I said.."
    "What???"
    "GET THE COPIES OUT OF THE PRESS NOW!"
    (teaching assistant steps in)
    "Miss would like you to get the writing books out of the cupboard"

Thank god she had experienced the paddy teachers before me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

The way I pronounce the letter R seems to confuse people.

I pronounce it "or". English say "ar". Is it just me or have I been saying it wrong all these years.

The way I pronounce the letter R seems to confuse people.

I pronounce it "or". English say "ar". Is it just me or have I been saying it wrong all these years.

I guess some regions in Ireland do say "or" (Paul Reynolds "or" RTE News for example), but I think the majority of Irish people say 'arr' as do most English people, both are correct, but I guess they just don't hear too many people pronouncing the letter R as "or" in London/England.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

"were you full"

"huh"

"were you full last night"

"what"

"were you full when you were out"

"i've no idea what your asking"

"were you drunk"

Conversation went some thing like that when back over in London recently

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭gerardduff

Calling London/UK "over" is a hilariously paddy thing to say.

Over
    I was over (I spent some time in the UK)
    You were over (You visited me then)
    He was over (So did that other guy)
    She was over (And his girlfriend)
    It was over (It happened while we were in the UK)
    They were over (The entire family came aswell)
    We were over (Occasionally we go back to visit, (esp to go to football matches))

They think it's all over; it is now.

I agree, and the whole misuse of the term 'UK' always amuses me (and many Londoners too I expect).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Pintoplain

"Golden Pages" earned me baffled looks a few years ago. Must've sounded like I was on a fairytale quest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement