Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house 2012

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,061 ✭✭✭✭beertons

^ my guess is you would get 90k based on your salary. Don't think the bank would entertain your partners income. That's just from my experience.

We started bidding 70k below asking. Only went up another 20 in the end. Still think it was a great price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nestea

Hi all,

Does anyone know if there is a website that follows the price changes in properties?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

nestea wrote: »
    Hi all,

Does anyone know if there is a website that follows the price changes in properties?
    There are numerous links on this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056319208

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blueturnip

Hello all!

It seems we are progressing! :) Our solicitor sent me an email today to let me know he had received the contract of sale from the vendors solicitor.

He said he had sent the vendors solicitor some 'Pre-contract Enquiries' before we need to come in.

Does anyone have any idea what kind of enquiries these could be?

Thanks

Felexicon wrote: »
    There are numerous links on this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056319208

myhome.ie are now showing price changes, but before this we were using daftdrop.com and collapso.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

blueturnip wrote: »
    Hello all!

It seems we are progressing! :) Our solicitor sent me an email today to let me know he had received the contract of sale from the vendors solicitor.

He said he had sent the vendors solicitor some 'Pre-contract Enquiries' before we need to come in.

Does anyone have any idea what kind of enquiries these could be?

Thanks

There's always pre-contract enquiries and they can cover a multitude of items from has the household charge been paid, has the BER cert been done, an issue with a copy document as opposed to an original one, the list goes on and on.... I'd suggest emailing your solicitor back to see exactly what they were and they'll be able to tell you if it's standard stuff or not. It's completely normal to have pre-contract enquiries and nothing to be worried about...

killers1 wrote: »

There's always pre-contract enquiries and they can cover a multitude of items from has the household charge been paid, has the BER cert been done, an issue with a copy document as opposed to an original one, the list goes on and on.... I'd suggest emailing your solicitor back to see exactly what they were and they'll be able to tell you if it's standard stuff or not. It's completely normal to have pre-contract enquiries and nothing to be worried about...

You're awesome killers!! :) thanks so much. Still doesn't feel real yet!

blueturnip wrote: »
    You're awesome killers!! :) thanks so much. Still doesn't feel real yet!

Exciting times!! Best of luck!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭bambam26

Stop stressing! They're calling it a 'new application' only because the property address has changed. Nearly all the info you submitted for the previous application will just be transferred to the 'new' reference no. and then it will be reviewed by the Underwriter. If there has been no changes in your circumstances since last application you'll be absolutely fine as there has been no change in UB's credit policy since then. Have you given the EA your solicitor details yet? Has the EA been on to you for an update? If not, that's fine. If he does contact you he'll probably just want to know when will the valuation be carried out. Just tell him you'll get on to the bank and check it out with them. Then call him back a day later and tell him the valuer will be in touch in the coming days. This will satisfy him and buy you some time. The ICB check takes about a half an hour to come through so that won't delay anything. It's literally just to queue to be looked at by the Underwriter that's holding you up but based on what you've said you'll be absolutely fine and approval will be a formality. 2 weeks isn't a long time in the house buying process so don't be worrying about the seller pulling out. Once they hear mention of a valuer being in touch there mind will be put at rest and they'll be more than happy...

Killers1,

Thanks so much for your help and advise, Aproval was granted on Monday and the banks valuers went into the property yesterday and he rang me last night to say he was more than happy with the property and price. So i am off to the bank tomorrow to sort out the last bit and pieces with them and the loan offer will be sent ot my solicitor :)

bambam26 wrote: »
    Killers1,

Thanks so much for your help and advise, Aproval was granted on Monday and the banks valuers went into the property yesterday and he rang me last night to say he was more than happy with the property and price. So i am off to the bank tomorrow to sort out the last bit and pieces with them and the loan offer will be sent ot my solicitor :)

Excellent! You're back on track....:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

well, offer was refused, and another offer which is about our max has been made apparently. Currently trying to decide if we want the house badly enough to try a little more than our initial budget

• Registered Users Posts: 20 BRIDGE27

Hi folks,

We are a married couple and are first time buyers. I bank with BOI and my wife with AIB. We are looking at a house for 285k. With a combined salary of roughly €77000, and we have saving of €30k, but I am currently paying off my car €10000 loan. What would be our best option. I went into BOI and they seem to think that a required mortgage would be no hassle. We come up with 10%. What are AIB like? Would they offer a better deal?Anybody got any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 shannonside26

Killers I'm back to you again, I got approved for my mortgage today. Was told next step is valuer and solicitor. Rang estate agents and they want deposit of 5,000 ASAP. I won't able to travel down with it till next week, with bank holiday, work etc, should I still go ahead and ring valuer or wait until I have deposit paid. Thanks for any advice you can give. Really haven't a clue what I am doing.

Killers I'm back to you again, I got approved for my mortgage today. Was told next step is valuer and solicitor. Rang estate agents and they want deposit of 5,000 ASAP. I won't able to travel down with it till next week, with bank holiday, work etc, should I still go ahead and ring valuer or wait until I have deposit paid. Thanks for any advice you can give. Really haven't a clue what I am doing.

Well done, congrats! If you have Internet banking you could ask the EA for their account details and just transfer the deposit online or else tell him to wait till next week! You can also tell him that you're instructing the Valuer and that'll put his mind at ease that you're serious about the purchase. He'll also want your solicitors details to have the contracts sent on so if you haven't got one lined up you need to start thinking about one....congrats again!

BRIDGE27 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

We are a married couple and are first time buyers. I bank with BOI and my wife with AIB. We are looking at a house for 285k. With a combined salary of roughly €77000, and we have saving of €30k, but I am currently paying off my car €10000 loan. What would be our best option. I went into BOI and they seem to think that a required mortgage would be no hassle. We come up with 10%. What are AIB like? Would they offer a better deal?Anybody got any recommendations?

You salaries are sufficient to qualify you to borrow the amount you are looking for presuming you're not in your 50's and have a gang of kids!. The main thing then is how your repayment capacity looks and how to treat the existing car loan, depending on how much is outstanding etc. I'd recommend talking to a good broker :) to get all the rate options and have your application presented in the best possible light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

I notice many people saying that if you are ready to pay cash , then you can offer much less.
    What is the difference to the seller whether you are paying cash or get a mortgage.
    either way, they will be getting one lump payment into their bank account??

Tiesto wrote: »
    I notice many people saying that if you are ready to pay cash , then you can offer much less.
    What is the difference to the seller whether you are paying cash or get a mortgage.
    either way, they will be getting one lump payment into their bank account??

There's no real difference to be honest.... What is important to the seller is that you have either 'cash or mortgage approval' as opposed to 'have a property to sell first'

• Registered Users Posts: 26 stressederic

Bridge27,
    I am in a very similar position as urself! We applied to AIB first, the most important factor with them
    Is that u are both permanent? We have a combined income similar to yours but because husband wasn't permanent they assessed us on the basis that he lost job and only my income 2300 a month, would support two of us. (They said we would need 2000 to live so only 300 left for mortgage) so basically they wouldn't entertain us! In the processes of trying with BOI for 220000. Branch advisor seems confident about this figure. Are both urself and ur wife permanent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

update on yesterday. The bidding war was lost, so were back to the drawing board since yesterday afternoon. it was our first house we really liked, but its wnet outside our range before we even got a counter offer in.

Kinda demoralising, and we really like the house, but if we found one we liked im sure we will find more.

And now at least we know there is movement in the market i our area too.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,061 ✭✭✭✭beertons

What's for you won't pass you. You'll find a place soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,270 ✭✭✭✭ted1

folan wrote: »
    update on yesterday. The bidding war was lost, so were back to the drawing board since yesterday afternoon. it was our first house we really liked, but its wnet outside our range before we even got a counter offer in.

Kinda demoralising, and we really like the house, but if we found one we liked im sure we will find more.

And now at least we know there is movement in the market i our area too.

let the agent know that your still intrested and when it falls through to give you call ;)

happened to me and my MIL when she got her house.

beertons wrote: »
    What's for you won't pass you. You'll find a place soon.

That's a great saying!

Another update from us, got our formal mortgage loan approval letter today - exciting!!

And for the other poster, there are plenty of houses out there, we ended up bidding on one that we had not considered at all. We actually had our eye on another house and just went to see this one as we couldn't get a second viewing for the other house on that day!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭aviendha

just finalising documents here - i have a notice of interest in fire policy, and a deed of assignment of life policy - are they completed by me or by the associated insurance companies, it's not very clear and we didn't get any instructions with the forms :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nestea

Felexicon wrote: »

thanks a mill

aviendha wrote: »
    just finalising documents here - i have a notice of interest in fire policy, and a deed of assignment of life policy - are they completed by me or by the associated insurance companies, it's not very clear and we didn't get any instructions with the forms :(

Hey there, just sign the Deed of Assignment and return it to the bank. They'll fill in the rest of details when they receive the life policy. In relation to the home ins you can ask the home ins company to give you a 'letter of indemnity' with your lenders interest noted on it which will suffice too...

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭aviendha

Hey there, just sign the Deed of Assignment and return it to the bank. They'll fill in the rest of details when they receive the life policy. In relation to the home ins you can ask the home ins company to give you a 'letter of indemnity' with your lenders interest noted on it which will suffice too...

cheers killers1 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Does anyone know if its true that AIB will not accept payments to an AIB mortgage from an AIB cashsave account? I can't think why that would be the case.

BornToKill wrote: »
    Does anyone know if its true that AIB will not accept payments to an AIB mortgage from an AIB cashsave account? I can't think why that would be the case.

For some reason they insist on a current account plus which has the facility to overdraw the account whereas they dont want a cashsave Ac where the mortgage DD would be bounced if you were €1 short...

• Registered Users Posts: 30 scrawnybawny

sorry to go off topic, but is there a vague rule of thumb for what one would hope/expect to pay per square metre, especially in the more sought after areas(i.m.o.!!) of dublin city (e.g. ranelagh and rathmines) and their environs?
    (assuming a reasonable finish and no major refurb costs)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cowboyjoe

Hi all - long term interested observer of this forum/thread. So AIB issued myself and girlfriend loan sanction letter last friday - €240k loan. We sent in our application the previous friday. So basically 5-6 working days for a positive decision, albeit with plenty of telephone pressure from ourselves. We didn't go through a broker.

Advertisement