Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Che Guevara Statue In Galway

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

LK_Dave wrote: »
    Che Guevara was a blood thirsty mass murder, a failed economic minister and a failed revolutionary. I wonder how his many victims -men women and children – would feel of this proposal .

http://cubaarchive.org/home/images/stories/truth%20and%20memory/victims_of_che_guevara_in_cuba_9.30.2009.pdf

The above list are only the Cuban victims.

look you just don't get it. it's ok to murder innocent people as long as you hate america.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

I wonder how his many victims -men women and children – would feel of this proposal .

They wouldn't feel anything because they are all dead, same as Che himself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

czx wrote: »
    Brilliant argument. Gloss over the present by referring to the past.

What Che did is also in the past. Brilliant comeback.

rkeano5 wrote: »
    Oh yes because two wrongs definitely make a right. I forgot about that.

By that logic Ireland would never have been free of British rule. Bet you forgot about that, as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

They wouldn't feel anything because they are all dead, same as Che himself.

The victims are just the ones put up against a wall and shot....victims are also wives, sons, daughters, husbands, relations.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

look you just don't get it. it's ok to murder innocent people as long as you hate america.

Yes appears to be the justification for many attitudes in Ireland today.

Specifically?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

seachto7 wrote: »
    What's worse is "Gawlway" trying to portray this leftie hippie liberal image of a town that's just so cool maaaaan. It's fake and put on, and most people you meet from there seem to try oh so hard to put on this "I am so flaky, and my time management is ****e, because, you know, I'm from Galway, and you know, I'm so liberal".

It's a graveyard of broken dreams........

If I wasn't from Galway I'd be pretty pissed off by your comments; lucky for you I've a bean lentil soup on the camp fire needs attending.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭czx

old hippy wrote: »

Building a momument to him is very much in the present!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

A statue of Che is the focus of the thread. Just thought that may have a bearing :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

no isn't Sir Digby Chicken Caesar. neither is it ok to go out of your way to excuse/minimise the killing of people from American military adventures. you, while keen to point out the crimes of che, are less keen to hold America to account for theirs. If there was a statue to be erected in Ireland of Henry Kissinger, i suspect you and lk dave would probably have less of a problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Why not go the whole hog and build a statue of Castro holding hands with Che? And put up a statue of Bobby Sands in Eyre square. I don't think he even killed anyone. But of course there's already a statue of a gunman there.

Why Che anyway, have we no Irish heroes? Silly question, of course not.

It's a stupid idea and if I don't get to it first, for sure someone will cover it in red paint.

xflyer wrote: »
    Why not go the whole hog and build a statue of Castro holding hands with Che? And put up a statue of Bobby Sands in Eyre square. I don't think he even killed anyone. But of course there's already a statue of a gunman there.

Why Che anyway, have we no Irish heroes? Silly question, of course not.

It's a stupid idea and if I don't get to it first, for sure someone will cover it in red paint.

Hey CIA, Bobby Sands is an Irish hero.

czx wrote: »
    Building a momument to him is very much in the present!

And your opposition to him lies in past deeds!

johngalway wrote: »
    A statue of Che is the focus of the thread. Just thought that may have a bearing :rolleyes:

And the thread concerns the present and past, Mr CIA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

okay haven't read that much about che guevara but from what I have it seems a bit over the top calling him a mass murderer and comparing him to hitler and pol pot.

so excuse my ignorance when I ask, how many people died because of him? and was it just the revolution in in cuba where the "mass murder" happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

I have a solution. No statue but Galway hippys can still wear Che teeshirts.

I have a solution. No statue but Galway hippys can still wear Che teeshirts.

Jim Fitzpatrick's iconic images are global.

Wasn't there a massive cross erected in Dublin for another "mass murderer" from abroad?

Jim Fitzpatrick's iconic images are global.

Wasn't there a massive cross erected in Dublin for another "mass murderer" from abroad?

That'd be no, Bob.

• Advertisement

That'd be no, Bob.

No pious twat got a cross up in his favour for his visit in 79? Responsible for millions of deaths in Africa and the abuse of innocents by his clergy?

Maybe someone threw paint over it or burnt it down, hopefuly.:D

Interesting thing about che - he was, like most Marxists - a mass murderer of workers, peasants, capitalists, etc. But he also didn't like the gays. He threw the gays into the camps ( as did Stalin). The rest can be forgotten about by the "vanguard of history" leftists, but the homophobia might tell against him for the modern progressive.

Then again, it might not. Probably it will disappear down the memory hole.

No pious twat got a cross up in his favour for his visit in 79? Responsible for millions of deaths in Africa and the abuse of innocents by his clergy?

Maybe someone threw paint over it or burnt it down, hopefuly.:D

I am not a defender of the Catholic Church, but their ability to cause AIDS in non-Catholic Africa, Africa being mostly non-Catholic, is a fairly fantastical claim. John Paul's ability to cause both AIDS in non-Catholic Africa and also travel forward in time to do it from 1979 - when the statue was erected- thats on realms of science fiction, that is. AIDS got going in the 80's.

I am not a defender of the Catholic Church, but their ability to cause AIDS in non-Catholic Africa, Africa being mostly non-Catholic, is a fairly fantastical claim.

I suggest you take a closer look at the RCCs policy, regarding condoms and sex education when it comes to the African continent. :(

Anyways, off topic - mea culpa.

I suggest you take a closer look at the RCCs policy, regarding condoms and sex education when it comes to the African continent. :(

Anyways, off topic - mea culpa.

Yes, back to Che. He almost caused WWIII you know.

Yes, back to Che. He almost caused WWIII you know.

Not JFK, then?

Not JFK, then?

JFK & Krushchev saved the planet, against the advice of their hot-headed advisors.
    (More so Krushchev, but both).

Krushchev had to deal with two insane hotheads in Castro & Guevara, JFK had to face down the army.

Khrushchev sent a message to Castro advising patience and self-control. Khrushchev and his colleagues were opposed to a "beautiful death" and a glorious showdown with the U.S. that Castro and Che Guevara had been advocating. He told Castro that "We aren't struggling against imperialism in order to die." Castro remained furious with Khrushchev, accusing him of having no cojones.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭czx

And your opposition to him lies in past deeds!
    Up until he died, yes. You might still meet him on your acid-fuelled happy trips, but the rest of us have to rely on his past actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Hey CIA, Bobby Sands is an Irish hero.
    Only to certain people but at least he's Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

And the thread concerns the present and past, Mr CIA

LMFAO. Methinks the hippy is on the 'shrooms tonight.

Advertisement