Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Velodrome Ireland

Options
124»

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,990 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Valid points, but what's the population of Glasgow compared to Dublin. I personally don't believe people will come in their droves to use the facility. I was originally optimistic as numbers increased, but considering the overall lack of interest I'm more pessimistic now.

What I'd like to get is the opinion of the many members of Boards who received accreditation for the track, may have raced a bit and nver went back. Their experiences and opinions would be interesting.
    In terms of metropolitan area Glasgow is about 1 and a half times as large as Dublin (which in turn is a hell of a lot bigger than Newport)

Build a velodrome and clubs will start using it for winter training. Some riders will move on, some will keep going. Winter track leagues would be a big attraction. Schools will start using it also, and there will be a long-term uptake in the sport.

At present people are put off by a number of factors, including weather and location. What they also will not appreciate is how differently an indoor track rides, and the exilharation of riding 45 degree or so boards.

In Manchester they run 2 or 3 taster sessions most days with 12 (can't remember, maybe 15) riders on each - they run them year round - yes the majority of users are "regulars" but you are probably getting up to 100 newbies just giving it a go every week - some will travel 100m+ to give it a go (and at least one will fly in from Dublin whenever United are playing - the biggest difficulty is actually getting slots to ride!)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,990 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

CramCycle wrote: »
    As a matter of interest though, my plan was to go out for events and sessions etc. but if there is nothing in the calendar, is the stadium open for training etc.
    Not since they put the fence up - you used to be able to turn up and ride round but now you need someone with a key to give you access

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Beasty wrote: »
    In terms of metropolitan area Glasgow is about 1 and a half times bigger than Dublin (which in turn is a hell of a lot bigger than Newport)

Glasgow Metropolitan: 1.2mill

Dublin Metropolitan: 1.8mill

Glasgow Metropolitan: 1.2mill

Dublin Metropolitan: 1.8mill
    Wiki says 2.8m for Glasgow

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Not since they put the fence up - you used to be able to turn up and ride round but now you need someone with a key to give you access
    I knew about the fence I was more wondering that since that would require someone to be there, I presume it would require a club or group booking plus a wad of cash. I couldn't see anything about general open times, as in open for people to pop in if they are accredited and use it for training with others on the day, pay an entry fee of 5euro to cover wages or whatever would be needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Fair enough. The most recent census, from memory, has it around 1.2mill.

(Not long ago was briefed for a hospital tender in Glasgow, not some weird rain man when it comes to population figures!)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,631 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Obviously they have to do this to keep the track in good nick etc, but a lot of the smaller outdoor tracks in England are left open and you can just show up and ride whenever you want.

I think this encourages people to come up and try it at their own pace rather than having to ride in a group etc.

Obviously with Sundrive being our only track it isn't really an option

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭n-dawg

You can reasonable say that the catchment area for the Glasgow velodrome is ~3.7m (The population of the central belt). This would be people within an hours drive of Parkhead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    I got my accredatitation, did 2 youth training sessions and never went back simply because it was all the way over in Crumlin and I never got the time to cycle over and back on a Monday afternoon because of school and now lectures etc.

I'd like to see an indoor track, particularly if it opens up more training sessions and coaching sessions for us younger folk.

If you're in college now I'd presume you should be riding at the senior sessions, as do most of those above 16.

You made the point that you still wanted an indoor velodrome, but what if its location is also inconvenient for you? The same number of coaches exist so I don't see a situation where it could stay open 9am-9pm unless a lot more people with the correct qualifications would be willing to volunteer, or be paid. You may have noticed at the track that we're not allowed up unless a coach is present.
    Glasgow has around 600,000, so smaller than Dublin.

I think your opinion (regardless of whether or not I agree with it) would represent the opinion of stakeholders. You don't spend money on optimism, unless you are a philanthropist, and CI are not wealthy enough for such indulgences.

Facts are that it's a niche sport which seems capable of serving the current level of demand with the existing facilities.

I believe that many road riders would use it for focused winter training, and that winter track racing would be well attended given the relatively limited options compared to summer. I also believe that co-locating with other sports, and making it available to other elite (funded) athletes from other sports as a form of cross training. But that's speculation.

Exactly my point. I'd like to see a monorail that ran parallel to the M50 built. I'm pretty sure I could get a decent petition together. But at the same time, I rarely ever use the M50 and I don't like trains, but I do think we should have one.

Your last paragraph rings true, and I'd agree to an extent, but I'd still like to see/hear some evidence. Roadies I've spoken to generally talk about the track like it's some kind of subcultural blimp -Looks interesting, but not for me.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I knew about the fence I was more wondering that since that would require someone to be there, I presume it would require a club or group booking plus a wad of cash. I couldn't see anything about general open times, as in open for people to pop in if they are accredited and use it for training with others on the day, pay an entry fee of 5euro to cover wages or whatever would be needed.

Wads of cash are never involved with the track. Group bookings can be made via your club. anytime the track is open will be listed on the calender including club bookings. AFAIK, nobody is paid a age, everyone volunteers. I could be wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,631 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

If you're in college now I'd presume you should be riding at the senior sessions, as do most of those above 16.

You made the point that you still wanted an indoor velodrome, but what if its location is also inconvenient for you? The same number of coaches exist so I don't see a situation where it could stay open 9am-9pm unless a lot more people with the correct qualifications would be willing to volunteer, or be paid. You may have noticed at the track that we're not allowed up unless a coach is present.

Yeah I rode last year as an u18 because I was 17, so the sessions were at half 5. Looking to get back down with the seniors now as I'm too old to race u18, but finding it tough to get free from work and lectures.

I was under the impression that an indoor track would open up more sessions down at Sundrive because there would be less private sessions no? And evening sessions during the winter would be more frequent because of the lack of floodlights in Sundrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

Fundraising idea: How many boards make up a wood track? I'd pay between €20-€50 as a form of sponsorship to sign a board that made up part of Ireland's first indoor velodrome track.

How cool would that be? Everyone's names on it that put a few quid in to help get a national sporting facility up and running. Great PR story too.

It's a real shame the Tallaght lease fell through, Tallaght of course being the correct location as it is on the Southside. :D

With regard to numbers and interest etc., I don't think track cycling was anything more than niche in the UK until the last couple of years.
    Before the last Olympics, the future of Herne Hill (then London's only track, left over from the 1948 Olympics) was looking very shaky and it was going to be torn up to build apartments. Now London is going to have two working velodromes, and you have to book months in advance because of the numbers of people who want to ride the Olympic track. (I'm not suggesting we host the Olympics.)

Cycling is growing in this country and I assume a logical step along from that will be a growth in interest in track. We obviously can't afford and don't need a €130m facility.
    When I see a €10m figure I just think; cost to build track €0.5m, cost of 'doing business in Ireland' €9.5m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Jaysus, just build a hanger over sundrive and be done with it.
    would be nice to have some kind of coverage to keep the wind/rain out but its Dublin County Council who own the velodrome. Id love a warm up area in the middle, a large circle of tarmac to roll around on for cool downs after a race

DubVelo wrote: »
    Fundraising idea: How many boards make up a wood track? I'd pay between €20-€50 as a form of sponsorship to sign a board that made up part of Ireland's first indoor velodrome track.

How cool would that be? Everyone's names on it that put a few quid in to help get a national sporting facility up and running. Great PR story too.

It's a real shame the Tallaght lease fell through, Tallaght of course being the correct location as it is on the Southside. :D

With regard to numbers and interest etc., I don't think track cycling was anything more than niche in the UK until the last couple of years.
    Before the last Olympics, the future of Herne Hill (then London's only track, left over from the 1948 Olympics) was looking very shaky and it was going to be torn up to build apartments. Now London is going to have two working velodromes, and you have to book months in advance because of the numbers of people who want to ride the Olympic track. (I'm not suggesting we host the Olympics.)

Cycling is growing in this country and I assume a logical step along from that will be a growth in interest in track. We obviously can't afford and don't need a €130m facility.
    When I see a €10m figure I just think; cost to build track €0.5m, cost of 'doing business in Ireland' €9.5m.

Have you not read the cost layouts by Morana and Dave? That's clearly not the case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

it's gonna happen, eventually! was at the track agm with another boards member, we learned of new developments but nothing is finalized yet. Tallaght venue is dead. Abbotstown is most likely the place it will happen. hopefully everyone works together and its planned/managed properly.

on another note, 2013 was (officially?) the most successful year for Irish track cycling both locally(thanks to the work of great volunteers) and internationally, and with the Giro next year(should be a boost for all cycling disciplines) and our junior/elite track riders growing stronger, things are looking good!

on another note, 2013 was (officially?) the most successful year for Irish track cycling .... internationally
    and 2013 is not finished yet...

Advertisement