Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Velodrome Ireland

Options
  • 03-03-2012 1:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭

I notice we only one velodrome in Ireland (according to Wikipedia).
    And by all accounts, it's not like a modern indoor venue and it's not 250meters diameter.

Do we send any velodrome cyclists to the Olympics ? I guess it's not easy when there is nowhere for talent to develop.

Any plans to build one ?
    Sounds like a great sport for Ireland to get into, because most countries dont have a velodrome, so unlike athletics, not many countries to compete against.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

There are three velodromes in Ireland - Sundrive (Dublin), Kanturk (250m) and Orangefield (Belfast)

If you've been checking the track world cup you will have seen Martyn Irvine is well placed to qualify for the Olympic Omnium event

There are plans for a new indoor track at Tallaght. Hopefully it will be built some time later this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭MungoMan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cycling_tracks_and_velodromes#Ireland

The Wikipedia article is not up to date ! It says only one track ! It doesnt have kanturk.

The Belfast one is listed (UK section)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

MungoMan wrote: »

The Wikipedia article is not up to date ! It says only one track ! It doesnt have kanturk.

Thats why the first things students are told in universities these days is don't rely on Wikipedia ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

there will be news about the Tallaght indoor velodrome very soon. 1 last hurdle left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

Hey, comeon - we've been getting teases like that for what seems like forever :confused: What's going on:rolleyes: Anticipated timescale? It'll be some coup if ye manage to pull it off:P

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'm pretty sure it will happen, but remain a little sceptical over timing until we actually get a formal announcement that the legalities are complete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Not up to date is a bit of understatement! That kanturk velodrome is there since before Wikipedia existed!

Edit, seems that may have been an exaggeration - thought they did have an older facility in the kanturk banteer area...

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭STANDCLEAR!!!

Velodrome planned for Dundalk with local cycle club as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

Hey, comeon - we've been getting teases like that for what seems like forever :confused: What's going on:rolleyes: Anticipated timescale? It'll be some coup if ye manage to pull it off:P

Soon! Why do you use the term 'ye'?

We have to be sure we are not going to hang a noose around the members and organisations neck. I am sure the members wouldnt thank us if we had to raise licences to cover the costs of an underused facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭marketty

there will be news about the Tallaght indoor velodrome very soon. 1 last hurdle left

A velodrome with hurdles?
    Is that a cyclocross thing??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭MungoMan

Beasty wrote: »
    T
    If you've been checking the track world cup you will have seen Martyn Irvine is well placed to qualify for the Olympic Omnium event

Where is Martyn from, and where does he train ?
    Is it true that in order to be good on a Velodrome, you need to train regularly on a Velodrome ?

Where is Martyn from, and where does he train ?
    Is it true that in order to be good on a Velodrome, you need to train regularly on a Velodrome ?

He's from NI, currently living in North County Dublin. He's in the far east racing at present. His track training is currently done overseas, which is part of the reason for having a new indoor track here as it will cut down on the costs of sending cyclists overseas for training. Track cyclists are typically amateur and rely on their national federations for support.

Check out Eoin Mullen also - he made his World Cup debut in London a couple of weeks ago.

Track sprinters do most of their training on the track (and in the gym). Endurance riders typically spend a lot of the time on the road also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

morana wrote: »
    Why do you use the term 'ye'?

Because I presume there is more than one person involved in driving it - i.e. 'ye'

we are still trying to tie up some issues around the lease. If these can be sorted we are good to go. The communication is ongoing .....

we were talking to Brailsford about it in London WC and he was very enthusiastic about. Move Heaven and Earth to get it done as it will pay back in spades was what he said. It was nice to hear him talk to us like that....

"• The possibility of a training velodrome in Tallaght was effectively dead and attention would now focus on a velodrome as in Abbotstown with support from the National Sports Campus."

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/Home/News/Board-Update-05th-July-2013-Meeting.aspx

what a joke.

Rugby has plenty of well equipped schools and clubs with great training facilities, the GAA also has plenty of facilities. why cant Cycling Ireland do it themselves rather than wait for something that might not even happen, at the site of the 'Bertie Bowl'

Very disappointed to see the Tallaght project die. In my time on the board the operational costs were a worry but I always felt they underestimated the return they would get from the facility. Added to this they went to see the indoor running track in Athlone(?) and seemed to be convinced to go for the big bang approach rather than an interim track.

I think the cost for an Abbottstown facility would be circa €10m.

Very disappointed to see the Tallaght project die. In my time on the board the operational costs were a worry but I always felt they underestimated the return they would get from the facility. Added to this they went to see the indoor running track in Athlone(?) and seemed to be convinced to go for the big bang approach rather than an interim track.

defintely. just lacking in vision,
    it would have flourished in Tallaght. Im sure there could have been FAS courses or job bridge schemes set up to fill the positions needed to run the place.

so is the wood for sale now? might ask my grandad if I can use one of his fields for a velodrome, Ill keep it covered when its raining somehow!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

What kind of spec would an Abbottstown track have, would it be a training track like was planned for Tallaght, or competition spec?

Can CI get more government funding by moving to Abbottstown?

The wood was sent back a year or two ago

The Tallaght proposal was dead in the water some time ago - they simply could not get a sensible lease and there was a risk that the whole thing would be scrapped after a few years. I also have a concern about trying to fit something like this into an existing building - even a purpose built one like Manchester suffered for many years before they managed to properly seal the roof - many sessions were cancelled because the track was damp!

As I understand it this proposal has been put forward in conjunction with Badminton Ireland who would look to share the facility. I would be interested to see the plans before commenting further - in particular whether a full 250m track is envisaged. To be clear though - if it can be used for training it will also be suitable for racing

I think Government funding would be sought for Abbotstown.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Surely with Ireland having a current world champion the last year would have been the perfect time for CI to try and lobby the government and start a PR campaign to raise the prospects of a proper indoor velodrome happening in the near future?

AFAIK the track would be a full UCI compliant 250m track. The wood was sold as Beasty says sometime ago. I expect they will look at a buy a board scheme or something along those lines. I know Denis Toomey had a proposal. If half the cash could be raised privately there was scope for investment from public funds.

The sticking point was indeed the length of the lease which the leaseholders wanted to limit at 5 years however the Dept of Sport wanted a significantly longer lease to be signed ~21yrs. Gov are giving the site foc iirc

Seaneh wrote: »
    Surely with Ireland having a current world champion the last year would have been the perfect time for CI to try and lobby the government and start a PR campaign to raise the prospects of a proper indoor velodrome happening in the near future?

Do you have any idea how much a "proper" velodrome costs? (to give you a clue, the London "velopark", including BMX track, cost around £105m. I think the Newport one cost in the single digit millions to construct) Basically it's a non-starter. The proposals being put forward are considered "adequate" which is all we can hope for in the current economic climate. I suspect the Abbotstown proposal may well be technically superior to the Tallaght one, because they are able to build the track within a dedicated structure

Do you have any idea how much a "proper" velodrome costs? (to give you a clue, the London "velopark", including BMX track, cost around £105m. I think the Newport one cost in the single digit millions to construct) Basically it's a non-starter. The proposals being put forward are considered "adequate" which is all we can hope for in the current economic climate. I suspect the Abbotstown proposal may well be technically superior to the Tallaght one, because they are able to build the track within a dedicated structure

By "proper" I just meant indoor, wooden, 250m track that can be used all year and to a decent standard.

I wasn't really aiming for something like Manchester or London. Just a usable indoor track.

By "proper" I just meant indoor, wooden, 250m track that can be used all year and to a decent standard.

I wasn't really aiming for something like Manchester or London. Just a usable indoor track.
    But that's exactly what the Abbotstown proposal is supposed to be. Again though I have not seen any detailed plans at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 21,629 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Beasty's right. British Cycling last year was given €30 million by the British government, which is three times as much as our government allocated to all governing sports bodies, so realistically with the FAI, IRFU, GAA, CI etc they probably only saw €2 million or so of funding.

Asking for a €130 million velodrome is definitely a non-runner until cycling in this country is recognised as a top sport.

But that's exactly what the Abbotstown proposal is supposed to be. Again though I have not seen any detailed plans at this stage

I get that, and I hope abbots town happens (well, I just hope SOMETHING happens), why it just seems like rather than using Irvine's world championships win as a platform for pushing for govt. funding and public fund raising, it's all been very flat from CI and no momentum had been gained from it.

I get that, and I hope abbots town happens (well, I just hope SOMETHING happens), why it just seems like rather than using Irvine's world championships win as a platform for pushing for govt. funding and public fund raising, it's all been very flat from CI and no momentum had been gained from it.
    I think you can safely assume that Mr Irvine's exploits have given this project fresh momentum

You should also be aware that, as already pointed out by morana, Denis Toomey, who led the Irish Paracycling team to the Olympics, is strongly behind this. The paracyclists would gain massively from such a facility (and for info, Denis has put his hat in the ring for the CI presidency which will be voted on at next month's AGM)

I think you can safely assume that Mr Irvine's exploits have given this project fresh momentum

You should also be aware that, as already pointed out by morana, Denis Toomey, who led the Irish Paracycling team to the Olympics, is strongly behind this. The paracyclists would gain massively from such a facility (and for info, Denis has put his hat in the ring for the CI presidency which will be voted on at next month's AGM)

The budget in general would benefit if you remember they spend approx 100k on track training

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

If CI had nominated Pat McQuaid we'd be well on the way to getting a velodrome......

Advertisement