Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

Anybody have issues with charging? I have my phone 4months and its starting to act up, no matter how many different chargers I use its so slow to charge. Last night it went from 1% to 35% this morning. Any suggestions before I bring it back to 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭phunks

PinkFly wrote: »
    Anybody have issues with charging? I have my phone 4months and its starting to act up, no matter how many different chargers I use its so slow to charge. Last night it went from 1% to 35% this morning. Any suggestions before I bring it back to 3?

You could try re calibrate the battery. That might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

PinkFly wrote: »

Are you using a USB cable for charging? If so change it.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Tried searching for this but no luck

My messages app, despite having no new messages is coming up as having 1 new message - anyone have this problem and how do I get rid of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

My messages app, despite having no new messages is coming up as having 1 new message - anyone have this problem and how do I get rid of it?

Is there a message in there somewhere that's unread? I miss them some times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

No, cos when I do get a new message, it still stays at one

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

No, cos when I do get a new message, it still stays at one

Gmail can have a problem like this, but never heard of messages doing it. Use Go SMS instead, its way better anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bligh

Hi am having the same issue, my message app shows one unread message but I have no unread messages, any else have this issue

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

petrolcan wrote: »
    Are you running a custom ROM or stock?

A very late reply :o Stock (I haven't flashed it whatever that means)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

So, samsung pushed 4.3 for the GS3(leaked a few days ago). And its Poxy from reports. Riddled with bugs. Battery life sucks and it takes several seconds to wake from sleep. Glad I didnt flash it. Again and again I get totally put off my manufacturer software. ROMs are the best and the worst part of android at the same time, 'cause you always need them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I saw 4.3 official on an S3 today. Unbelievable how it got through testing. As you say it takes an age to wake from sleep. Same if you get a call the screen doesn't wake for a good few secs. Battery life atrocious... They wouldn't let me OTA the update as I'm rooted luckily. Staying on 4.1.2 for the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

That's crazy to hear. I've been on a cyanogen 4.3 for the past few months with no issues whatsoever.

Broke the glass on my S3 lastnight, absolutely gutted, how much for a repair ? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BogManInc

I'm due an upgrade soon so i may be selling my beloved S3 - what would be a good price to get for a S3 - not a scratch or scuff on it - it's in like mint condition, never taken out of it's case and has a screen protector on it since day 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Is there a rom for the s3 that lets you use the hdmi out feature for watching content on the tv via a cable ?And one that also s3 show up as a wireless device on a smart tv etc ?

I have a cm rom atm and neither of these features work .

If I insure my S3 and wait a few weeks to claim for the cracked glass on it what are my chances of being successful ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

threein99 wrote: »
    If I insure my S3 and wait a few weeks to claim for the cracked glass on it what are my chances of being successful ?

That's insurance fraud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Fanny Brioscaí

S3. I downloaded the new software update yesterday - Android version 4.3 and ever since the battery has been useless. It was fully charged last night and this morning it's already on 55%. The only thing that has changed is the update. I haven't done anything.

Anyone else notice similar issues? I want to uninstall the update but i can only do that by a factory reset which i don't want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Is there a rom for the s3 that lets you use the hdmi out feature for watching content on the tv via a cable ?And one that also s3 show up as a wireless device on a smart tv etc ?

I have a cm rom atm and neither of these features work .

It appears that this can't happen as HDMI out is propriety to Samsung, so CM cannot use it on their ROM's....

just reporting what I found on android forums.com, here

http://androidforums.com/international-galaxy-s3-all-things-root/681704-rom-supporting-hdmi-adapter.html
    CM won't ever support HDMI out as it's proprietary Samsung software on the S3 so they aren't able to move it over to AOSP ROMs

EDIT, found this on XDA, don't know, but if you can manage to edit your build.prop, it seems it is possible!!!!!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=31232397
    HDMI works, but isn't enabled by default

Does anyone else agree that's it high time to have MHL-HDMI enabled by default in CM10, or at least a toggle setting added? :) I mean it seems to work just fine after you manually remount /system rw, add "ro.hdmi.enable=true" to your /system/build.prop and reboot.

I've connected my phone both to my 25" 1080p HP LCD, and to my 40" Samsung LCD, and the hdmi out has been nearly flawless. The only issues I encountered were:
    1) With HW Overlays enabled (default), there's tearing in the lower 3rd of the display in SOME cases, such as swiping between homescreens (Nova), and VLC Beta video playback. Games, though, such as Shadowgun and Riptide don't tear at all. Disable HW Overlays, and the tearing is gone. Also, with HW Overlays enabled, I sometimes get a constant black screen when I first connect my phone, but if HW Overlay was initially off, it always outputs.
    2) Momentary blackouts (on HP monitor) or static (Samsung TV) for the first few minutes after I initially plug my mhl adapter in. I blame my S2 cable + 5-to-11pin adapter, though, and not the ROM, since I get no more dropouts after it "heats up".
    3) After you plug in the mhl-hdmi cable, the orientation of Trebuchet, Nova, and any app that "supports" landscape is forced into that mode, even with auto-rotate toggled off. Apps that only support portrait mode, like Wordfeud, rotate to portrait just fine, though. This behavior is probably by design, but it'd be nice to have a portrait preference override at some point.

MiCr0 wrote: »
    That's insurance fraud

How so ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

How so ?

Because it just is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

is the VFI 4.3 the only rom available (aside from custom roms) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

I got an S3 recently, it's running 4.1.2 with the stock Samsung. Could any Cyanogenmod users answer a few questions for me, what's the battery life like and have you experienced any issues like bugs/instability while running CM long term? It's my only phone so it needs to be reliable without needing to resort to browsing xda/wherever looking for a fix. On the CM wiki it lists very few known issues for 10.2
    The samsung 4.3 update is a pile of **** apparently so Cyanogenmod seems to be the best option to remove bloatware and update.

mrmeindl wrote: »
    I got an S3 recently, it's running 4.1.2 with the stock Samsung. Could any Cyanogenmod users answer a few questions for me, what's the battery life like and have you experienced any issues like bugs/instability while running CM long term? It's my only phone so it needs to be reliable without needing to resort to browsing xda/wherever looking for a fix. On the CM wiki it lists very few known issues for 10.2
    The samsung 4.3 update is a pile of **** apparently so Cyanogenmod seems to be the best option to remove bloatware and update.

I'm using CM 10.2 (android 4.3) and find it incredibly stable. There are a few graphical issues but the hope is that these will be ironed out soon as the mali drivers have been leaked from Samsung.

There are also said to be some camera issues but I've never experienced them. I've got a proper camera anyway :)

Battery life is bloody brilliant! I'm getting 1.5 days with moderate use.

One issue is that the battery drains quicker after a call (3% per hour as opposed to 1.5%) but a reboot sorts this.

There are no active maintainers for the G3 at the moment due to issues with CM Inc but fixes are still being pushed to github so it continues to be maintained, just at a slower pace.

Many users are more than happy with CM 10.1 (android 4.2) and there are stable versions available.

I just wanted the latest and will probably jump to CM 11 (4.4) when/if it becomes available.

Quaint wrote: »
    S3. I downloaded the new software update yesterday - Android version 4.3 and ever since the battery has been useless. It was fully charged last night and this morning it's already on 55%. The only thing that has changed is the update. I haven't done anything.

Anyone else notice similar issues? I want to uninstall the update but i can only do that by a factory reset which i don't want to do.

I think the only way is to do the factory reset unless you have a back up.

You did back up before updating?

How so ?

Because you cannot insure against something that has already happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Fanny Brioscaí

I think the only way is to do the factory reset unless you have a back up.

You did back up before updating?

That i didn't do. I'll see how it goes for the next few days. I need the phone work wise so i won't be doing a factory reset just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

i updated my s3 a few days ago, but ever since the update its very slow to light up the unlock screen, when i press any button its takes a good few seconds before the screen will light up

any ideas

jap gt wrote: »
    i updated my s3 a few days ago, but ever since the update its very slow to light up the unlock screen, when i press any button its takes a good few seconds before the screen will light up

any ideas

Seems to be issues with the 4.3 update. Try a factory reset and if that doesn't work, root it, install a custom ROM and let your phone enjoy a new lease of life :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

Seems to be issues with the 4.3 update. Try a factory reset and if that doesn't work, root it, install a custom ROM and let your phone enjoy a new lease of life :)

wouldn't have a clue how to go about any of that :o

Advertisement