Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Absolutely delighted. hats off to all the people who worked so hard over the years to make it possible. :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Think all those people who are considering catching a game next season should go up next Saturday for the last game of the season and witness the trophy and celebrations and I'd reckon they'll be a packed house for it too...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Gonna finish work early next Saturday and defo be up there for the trophy. well done to everyone involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

What time is that match on at? Finally my FM career is starting to become a reality :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

No reason why they can't challenge for the league in a couple of years, the backing seems to be rock solid, it doesn't take a pile of money as Sligo have shown, big crowds are essential though so the chairman can stay excited, maybe a new manager but he deserves a crack now he's got them there.
    Are there many Limerick born players playing in the Premier LOI or lower division cross channel, this is what they should be aiming for in their signings, I hope there isn't a few carloads of Dublin based players coming down as happens in Drogheda and was always the way at smaller clubs.
    I'll be there next week, have made very few games this year but 1st division is such a poor standard it can hurt your eyes sometimes, roll on next year and the Cork City games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Shane Duggan - Midfield - Cork City
    Lee Lynch - Midfield - Sligo Rovers
    Gary Shanahan - Winger - Dundalk
    Ger Barron - Goalkeeper - UCD

They are the only four players from Limerick currently playing premier in Ireland that I can think of off the top of my head. Would be nice to see a few more Limerick lads in the team but a lot don't seem to be up to the standard and the ones that are stay playing junior soccer with the likes of Pike and Janesboro. Over the last number of years Limerick has been trying to pull the best talent from around the midwest region with a lot of players coming from Clare, Tipperary, Kerry and even some from Cork. Most those counties don't have a senior soccer team so we need to tap into the mid-west region as much as possible and be seen as a place for new talent to start off instead of heading straight over to England.

Jofspring wrote: »
    Shane Duggan - Midfield - Cork City
    Lee Lynch - Midfield - Sligo Rovers
    Gary Shanahan - Winger - Dundalk
    Ger Barron - Goalkeeper - UCD

They are the only four players from Limerick currently playing premier in Ireland that I can think of off the top of my head. Would be nice to see a few more Limerick lads in the team but a lot don't seem to be up to the standard and the ones that are stay playing junior soccer with the likes of Pike and Janesboro. Over the last number of years Limerick has been trying to pull the best talent from around the midwest region with a lot of players coming from Clare, Tipperary, Kerry and even some from Cork. Most those counties don't have a senior soccer team so we need to tap into the mid-west region as much as possible and be seen as a place for new talent to start off instead of heading straight over to England.

Even from the current crop of young lads in our senor set up

Stephan McGann - Kerry/Ennis
    James McGrath - Nenagh
    Dave O'Leary - Cork

A few of the current 19's squad are from Nenagh too, but there are a good number from country Limerick as well as the city.

With regards to the lads at Pike & Janesboro, from my memory those players who played with us before would be nowhere near the current side.

Shane Clarke, John Tierney, Dave Ryan nowhere near good enough for us.

Wayne Colbert and Yellow are good enough but not better than our current players in their positions also those two are fairly questionable attitudes and history's (can't say anymore on that)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Well it is absolutly vital to encourage as many supporters thru the gates as possible, this is far more likely if the team can become proper representatives of Limerick and wider Munster, this requires the players to be local in my opinion, if Limerick can pick up big attendances they may become as attractive as Cork City for the cream of local talent, in fact in Gamble and Behan they already have two of Corks best players of the last 10 years.

As an aside what kind of crowd will there be next week now that there is nothing to play for except the party? Will there be a trophy presentation etc?

Trophy presentation will be next week alright. I'd expect a decent crowd next week as people will want to say they were at the game that Limerick lifted the trophy.

The sad truth is that people won't care where the players are from once we are winning. If we have a largely Local team and are losing week in week out no body will come to watch us. We have had teams packed full of locals in the past with crowds of 250-300 max showing up to Jackman Park and people just said we weren't up to the standard required. If we have a team that has a mix and are doing well we have a much better chance of getting in the crowds. The perfect scenario is having lots of Limerick based players and the club doing well but there is no team in the LOI fighting at the top of the league with all players from their home town barr maybe one or two Dublin clubs. The same goes for clubs over in England.

We have a cracking looking under 19's with players from all around the midwest region. Its these players i'd like to see developing into premier standard and all the players coming up through the underage structure. Playing with and against top players from around the country in the top tier will help this no end.

A 2-0 win away to Longford.
    the home team had a player red carded after 56 mins.
    Treacy put the blues in front on 79 mins with Brosnans 90th minute strike securing our second win away at Longford this season.
    hope the big travelling support had a good time up there tonight....:)

• Advertisement

washman3 wrote: »
    A 2-0 win away to Longford.
    the home team had a player red carded after 56 mins.
    Treacy put the blues in front on 79 mins with Brosnans 90th minute strike securing our second win away at Longford this season.
    hope the big travelling support had a good time up there tonight....:)

Well I'm just home and had a fantastic night...reckon the buses that stopped in Firbane are having mighty craic as I type

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Love the flag and scarf up on O'Connell's statue over the weekend :D

Last game of the season tomorrow night.

Limerick FC vs Wexford Youths, 7:45pm.

The trophy will be presented on a podium at the end of the game. There will be entertainment from the CBS Pipe Band and also Marquees with bar facilities.

There is a big crowd expected so I would suggest either getting your tickets early or arrive early.

New look website up and running also http://www.limerickfc.ie

Limerick 1-3 Wexford

Pat Purcell and Shaun Kelly sent off.

Great night in Jackman though.

1,386 in attendance and just awards for the 500 or so that head to Jackman park every weekend hail, rain or shine.

The party will continue well into the night in the strand hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭timesnewroman

The last time Limerick won the league (Premier Division), they were featured in Shoot Magazine (July 1980). In light of Limerick's recent success I thought I'd post three pictures that I took of the feature.

The team photo features a mascot by the name of Karl Spain. It must be the local comedian???

Ya it's the same Karl Spain. His brother is at nearly every limerick game and has followed limerick all his life. They were even over at the Real Madrid Vs limerick game. Gary does a piece in the match day program.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Thought you guys might like to see what I achieved in FM12 - very proud.

winning6_zps88890c51.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

^^^^
    Think Alexandr Mloserdov is playing with Pike Rovers. Handy little player. :D

Mc Love wrote: »
    Thought you guys might like to see what I achieved in FM12 - very proud.

winning6_zps88890c51.jpg

Great result considering you played second fiddle for most of the game.:p
    Just 1 shot on target but you made it count. Deadly..!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Player of the Year: Shane Tracy

Well done to Shane, great season for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Player of the Year: Shane Tracy

Well done to Shane, great season for him.

I'd have given it to Purcell from what I've seen this season.

magma69 wrote: »

I'd have given it to Purcell from what I've seen this season.

I didn't vote for Shane myself but over the whole season he has been the most consistent performer in every game.

In today's sun we are being linked with some nice players. With pat behind us and being back in the premier we will probably be linked with every free agent in Ireland.

Waterford United tonight lost at home 0-2 to Dundalk and 4-2 on aggregate meaning they have failed to be promoted through the play-offs.

As it stands next season we are looking at playing in a division with the following teams coming to town:

Bohemians FC
    Bray Wanderers
    Cork City
    Derry City
    Dundalk
    Drogheda
    Shamrock Rovers
    Shelbourne FC
    Sligo Rovers
    St.Patricks Athletic
    U.C.D

Jofspring wrote: »
    Waterford United tonight lost at home 0-2 to Dundalk and 4-2 on aggregate meaning they have failed to be promoted through the play-offs.

As it stands next season we are looking at playing in a division with the following teams coming to town:

Bohemians FC
    Bray Wanderers
    Cork City
    Derry City
    Dundalk
    Drogheda
    Shamrock Rovers
    Shelbourne FC
    Sligo Rovers
    St.Patricks Athletic
    U.C.D

At least one of these clubs to go bust...Its the LOI so if it didn't happen it would be bizarre

At least one of these clubs to go bust...Its the LOI so if it didn't happen it would be bizarre

I'll go for a toss up between Bray and Dundalk for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Our Brian

Is there much interest in the dog night tonight ?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mollymac57

Where will Limerick be playing next season? (Jackman (Priory), Market's Field, Thomond Park, Turner's X)

mollymac57 wrote: »
    Where will Limerick be playing next season? (Jackman (Priory), Market's Field, Thomond Park, Turner's X)

Well it definitely won't be turners cross.

At the moment I get the feeling we will be in an upgraded Jackman park but I hope I'm wrong.

Congratulations to Rory Gaffney the PFAI First Division Player Of The Yewr.

• Advertisement

In today's star that the markets field looks like it is being pushed back another year with Thomond Park the likely home for 2013.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement